IB_Golfin'

Stock vs Premium shafts, from the same OEM

Our Sponsors

I will say that anytime I’ve called an OEM they have answered what ever question I’ve asked. They almost always get excited that a consumer cares enough about their product to ask.

They aren’t Satan - they care about golf - they are going to make crazy marketing claims to sell product but all of them make crazy good equipment.

Sometimes we forget that.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

I think many are missing the point I'm making between stock and after-market shafts from the same OEM.  Being 'fit' for, or having the stock version work 'best' for is one thing, having a shaft with 99% of the same paint scheme and name, WITHOUT BEING ANYTHING NEAR THE AFTER MARKET VERSION IS ANOTHER.

Golfshaftreviews does testing on many different shafts. EI profiles, bend profiles, etc. You do have to pay $10 a year to view all the info. It's been very valuable to me when deciding which shafts I want to play and which ones I need to stay away from.

They do both made for and top of the line shafts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I will say that anytime I’ve called an OEM they have answered what ever question I’ve asked. They almost always get excited that a consumer cares enough about their product to ask.

They aren’t Satan - they care about golf - they are going to make crazy marketing claims to sell product but all of them make crazy good equipment.

This is so true it hurts. Whether it’s to chat or to settle an out of warranty return or repair, they’re in the business of creating promoters.

They don’t want your business, they want to keep it!
  • Like 4

On 2/3/2020 at 10:43 AM, chisag said:

... The short and very general answer is for the majority of average golfers, not only is there a difference between Made For and aftermarket shafts, most MF shafts fit them better than the aftermarket shafts. I use the Matrix Red as an example that Cobra had as stock in their driver several years ago. The Matrix Red profile was what the engineers identified as perfect for their head when hit by the majority of golfers. In testing shafts they found the AF Red's tip was a little too stiff causing a slightly lower trajectory and tended to leak a little right. They tested several prototypes and found that if they softened the flex a little and added more torque for feel and a slightly softer tip, they kept the mid launch mid spin profile but average golfers hit it much better than the stronger aftermarket Matrix Red. I would add most engineers know better players will almost always order a different shaft than stock, so in the case I just mentioned, the better player would not buy the Cobra with the after market Matrix Red anyway but install a shaft they know works for their swing. 

... Obviously not true for every single made for shaft, but the OEMs are in the business of selling drivers. Most golfers know very little, if anything at all concerning shafts, so the OEMs want the average golfer to demo a driver and hit it mid to high, straight and far. Again, most will struggle with an aftermarket shaft that has a stiffer tip and stouter over all profile.  I think the most successful driver ever proves this point. Ely Callaway knew ego's were involved with average male golfers that tended to chose too little loft and a shaft too stiff, so he did something absolutely brilliant. His Big Bertha's had higher lofts than were stamped on the club head, usually 2-3* higher and he took a Regular flex shaft and labeled it a Stiff flex. All of a sudden average golfers were hitting g their driver higher, straighter and farther and there was a waiting list of up to 6 months.  

... And to answer your specific question I play the Tensei CK Orange. As a + index with a smooth transition and a swing speed around 100, the softer overall profile of the CK Orange fits me better than the Pro Orange which is designed for more aggressive hitters/swingers and/or more club head speed. CK Orange's mid launch and low spin is much better for most golfers compared to the low launch and very low spin of the Pro Orange. 

Good input.  When I was getting fitted for the G410 driver there was a part of me that felt I would be getting less of a club if not opting for the optional shafts. The fact was that of the options tested, the Alta CB produced the best numbers and ball flight.  Having purchased both my G400 3w and 5w with the stock shaft, I don't know if another shaft would be better - but I hit these so well I really doubt it.  I don't think it's a reach to say the stock shafts fit the meat of the bell curve, and to the extent they can match that population's needs while carving out a little more profit (through volume), makes sense.  As to "watered down" optional shafts, this is the first I've heard of it.  In any case, only those of you in those extreme ends of the curve would probably notice the difference.

• Like 1