Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Triple Track - A (too) deep dive

Jim418

So... I was curious to know what Vernier Acuity and Hyper Acuity that Triple Track is based on were.

Per Websters:Medical Definition of vernier acuity - the aspect of visual acuity that involves the ability to detect the alignment or lack of alignment of the two parts of a broken line (as in reading a vernier scale)

So as I understand it, it is lining up 2 or more lines. Your acuity system has a strong ability to do this and it is even better when there are multiple lines. Cool.

So how do Triple Track take advantage of that beyond a standard single line on a ball? I mean, this Vernier acuity thing has to do with lining up 2 lines very accurtely, but that can't possibly apply to lining up a line on the ball with an imaginary line to the hole. And we aren't trying to line up 3 lines on the ball with 3 lines to the hole (which is where hyperaccuity would kick in).

The actual patent claims that a study of 52 people, were able to accurately aim a ball (separate from putting it) was better with their 3 lines, compared to aiming it with the words on the ball. This very limited test did not compare aiming a 3 line ball to a 1 line ball. It compared it to aiming with the words on the ball. There was no proof that 3 lines were better than 1 line.

The patent also claims that the lines on the ball assist the user who has a line on their putter when lining up those 2 lines. But there is no indication that the extra 2 lines are helpful.

So... I really don't see anything indicating that 3 lines is better than 1 line. There was no testing of that in the patent. Vernier acuity would not apply to the additional 2 lines even if it did apply to using the 1 line to match up to your imaginary target line.

Now the new triple track putters would arguably work with the triple track balls to ensure the putter was aligned with the ball. And the 3 lines may be better than one line on the ball and putter, but no testing to attest to it.

Comments?

Driver:    Titliest TSi3 - Tensei white stiff
Wood:   PING  G425 LST 14.5* - Tensei orange stiff
Hybrid:   PING  G425 19* - Tensei orange stiff
Irons:    PING i525 - Project X I/O 5.5 - 4-W
Wedges:     Taylormade MG3 52* and HiToe 56* Project X I/O 6.0
Putter:  TM Spider X HYDROBLAST (33", 3* upright)

Yes, I think you may be on to something (that it is marketing BS).

There would be some validity to 3 matching lines on the ball and putter, but even there it seems to only refer to vertical alignment of lines rather than horizontal alignment (different because of how your eyes are aligned relative to the lines)

Driver:    Titliest TSi3 - Tensei white stiff
Wood:   PING  G425 LST 14.5* - Tensei orange stiff
Hybrid:   PING  G425 19* - Tensei orange stiff
Irons:    PING i525 - Project X I/O 5.5 - 4-W
Wedges:     Taylormade MG3 52* and HiToe 56* Project X I/O 6.0
Putter:  TM Spider X HYDROBLAST (33", 3* upright)

On 2/8/2020 at 12:47 AM, VBPUTTS said:

I'd love to buy on of those. Do you have a comparison pic between your markings and a regular triple track ball? 

It says shipping not available to australia 😞

• 1 month later...

Golfers minds and confidence play a big role in our on course actions. I don’t really care what companies put in their patent claims or their marketing of a product just like I don’t care what a car manufacturer puts in their marketing. 

Test a product if if works for you then great if it doesn’t also no biggie. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Personally, I didn't like the feel of the putters, I've never been a fan of inserts. However, the alignment seems very easy and I felt a bit more confident lining up my putts. I have vision problems that makes it difficult to see when there is a lack of contrast and the three line/three color scheme of the triple track makes it very easy to see. I imagine that would be true even if you don't have vision problems. A lot of golf is just feeling confident and the triple track system definitely boosted my confidence, even though I decided to buy a different putter after having tried it. I've heard and read a lot of back and forth on using alignment and people seem to have mix results. Like RickyBobby_PR said, I think it just depends on you and results from your individual testing to see if it improves your alignment and putting. 

:cobra-small: F9 9° Driver

:ping-small: G410 14.5° 3 wood

:ping-small: G410 17° Hybrid

:ping-small: i500 4i-UW

:titelist-small: SM8 56° SW

:titelist-small: SM8 60° LW

:cameron-small: Select Squareback 2018 Putter

:Snell: MTB-X Yellow

:Ogio: 2020 Convoy SE Cart bag

:footjoy-small: Tour X

• 2 weeks later...

Great. So one can line-up their putt to their line better, so Callaway says. Awesome. Doesn’t help getting the CORRECT line.

I’m not a fan of the looks. To me, these putters make me think of something that came out of a boxed set. Here’s proof that TT won’t “change golf forever”: it won’t be in Callaway’s offerings each year going forward. They’ll come-up with something else.

Makes me think of razors: “They have four blades, we have FIVE,” with regard to the lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Just now, PMookie said:

Great. So one can line-up their putt to their line better, so Callaway says. Awesome. Doesn’t help getting the CORRECT line.
I’m not a fan of the looks. To me, these putters make me think of something that came out of a boxed set. Here’s proof that TT won’t “change golf forever”: it won’t be in Callaway’s offerings each year going forward. They’ll come-up with something else.

You are spot on!

What was it that they pimped that everyone thought it was the end all be all in driver technology?  Jailbreak?  What was it, not even 6 months till they added something else, and then 6 months until the next thing, and then the next, and now Mavrik is using AI to deliver better technology to a club and give you better performance than ever before?

You gotta admire the folks at Callaway - they'll try anything if they think they can sell it.  Heck, even the guys in the 2nd video mentioned that the Odyssey putter was only a couple of months old before they released the triple track Odyssey putter.  And then they wondered if people would be able to contact Callaway and get a discount on the triple track, because essentially it was the same technology but with the new feature.  LOL, yeah, good luck.

But there is a part of me that has got me thinking, "hmmmm...maybe there is something to this."  Mostly after watching these two videos.  But honestly, it's like me putting here at home on my indoor putting mat.  I can make like 20 in a row dead center of the cup from 8 feet.  But put me on the real course, even on the putting green, and I struggle to make 2 of 5 from the same 8 feet (and yeah, I've got the video evidence to prove that BTW).

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I I like the idea of triple track but I'm not sure that it is really any better than just a single prominent line on the ball. Most balls you can buy just have the ball name centered between arrow heads and I believe this is better but only because it actually has uninterrupted lines to use for alignment. I would be surprised though if there is any statistical improvement in putting using triple track vs just a regular hold ball with a single line on it using a sharpie like you can buy for $5 and do 1000 balls. Personally I think I prefer the cross hair option you can get in Callaway personalized balls.

I can see the balls living on much longer than the putters as well. Offering the triple track option on balls seems like a relatively cheap and easy thing to do going forward but the hardware refresh cycle comes too fast and requires too much marketing to not changed it up. 

I only got to play one round with the triple track Chromesoft X before the shut down, but I've go to say for me it felt so easy to line up and trust it. I'm sure we've all been there where you line up a put, stand over it and it feels off. The ability to have 3 lines seems to help make sure the ball is sitting perfectly square and upright to the line. 

The ball, I don't love as much as my experience with TM TP5 or some of the Bridgestone balls, but the lines work. They have also been great for indoor practice this past month because you can see the roll quickly and tell when you miss-strike the ball. 

I think Callaway is on to something and I'm likely to either self mark or replicate this mark on some other balls. Excited to try the new PIX as well as I had some decent rounds with the old version (and no one ever accidentally picks these up or hits them).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Guests
Guest Delete

I actually laugh at people who use the line on a ball to putt as they miss a lot. Plus, the time it takes to set the ball up perfectly in line with your imaginary start line is downright annoying to watch. 

In a tournament or on tour it matters more than when I play with my friends; I will grant you that. My point is that leaning how to aim correctly over the putter, making a good stroke, and judging the distance/break is what makes putts. The line on a ball won't solve all of it.

It seems to distract from what matters, especially as the ball keeps moving when you set it down, adjust it, check it, adjust it... Forever

Did PT Barnum go to work at Callaway?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

24 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

Did PT Barnum go to work at Callaway?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

From what I have observed the last 10 years or so he has came back from the dead and works as a general consultant in the golf industry

Your'e welcome ---- I will be in the area most of the day  nothing else to do with a broken back

On a serious note I can see it like anything else it may help some and others it may not. Personally I am of the latter camp---- I am just too darn old school and stuck in my ways

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

2 hours ago, TimoTe said:

I actually laugh at people who use the line on a ball to putt as they miss a lot. Plus, the time it takes to set the ball up perfectly in line with your imaginary start line is downright annoying to watch. 

In a tournament or on tour it matters more than when I play with my friends; I will grant you that. My point is that leaning how to aim correctly over the putter, making a good stroke, and judging the distance/break is what makes putts. The line on a ball won't solve all of it.

It seems to distract from what matters, especially as the ball keeps moving when you set it down, adjust it, check it, adjust it... Forever

I don’t laugh at others, but I never use ball alignment. I’ve tried it a few times and it didn’t make any difference. That said, it seems most if not all pros use ball alignment and they’re WAY better than any of us. So it may help some amateurs. So long as no one I play with takes as long to read putts as most pros...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I don’t laugh at others, but I never use ball alignment. I’ve tried it a few times and it didn’t make any difference. That said, it seems most if not all pros use ball alignment and they’re WAY better than any of us. So it may help some amateurs. So long as no one I play with takes as long to read putts as most pros...

People read and see things differently. For example when someone tells me the “break” is 2” left of the hole I generally stop the ball 2” left if the hole. Some people see all putts as a straight line, some see it as a curve.

As for pros being better putters than amateurs. Putting is the one area that amateurs can be equal to or better than the pros.

Find what works for you.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, TimoTe said:

Sounds kind of childish to laugh at people for missing a putt. Must be nice to never miss a putt.

A line, 3 lines or whatever a person uses to mark a ball is all preference. It doesn’t guarantee that they have the right line and/or speed for the putt to go in.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

As for pros being better putters than amateurs. Putting is the one area that amateurs can be equal to or better than the pros.

I’m sure they “can” but almost none are...

https://mygolfspy.com/pros-vs-joes-3-putts/

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

I’m sure they “can” but almost none are...

https://mygolfspy.com/pros-vs-joes-3-putts/

Because they don’t practice. It Isn’t hard to get good at putting. I also don’t believe that none are.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

Because they don’t practice. It Isn’t hard to get good at putting. I also don’t believe that none are.

Who said that? I said “almost none.” I’m sure there are some, but in 55 years I’ve never seen any amateur who could consistently putt as well as a touring pro. And I suspect lots of people would question “it isn’t hard to get good at putting.”

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

Totally agree!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am not a fan of lines on a ball and will admit that I have never used a line on a ball to line up a putt.  Maybe I will try it some day but I think it is more of a gimmick than helpful.  I am probably dead wrong on this but it looks like a marketing thing to me.  Some day I will find a lost triple track ball in the woods and will try it out.  Maybe it will come with a matching putter too.  🙂  

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

I am going to market a ball with Four lines on the top.

And one with Five lines the following year. Then a ball with Six lines the Next year.

No one steal my idea before I market it.

Oh oh darn too late

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 6:09 AM, pablito said:

Like the look of new pix balls.hope find one sometime as bit pricey

I bought a dozen and love that they are different than everyone else’s balls on the course ... they also blast off the driver.  Just don’t lose them or everyone will know where you were!