Sign in to follow this  
Jim418

Triple Track - A (too) deep dive

Our Sponsors

So... I was curious to know what Vernier Acuity and Hyper Acuity that Triple Track is based on were.

Per Websters:Medical Definition of vernier acuity - the aspect of visual acuity that involves the ability to detect the alignment or lack of alignment of the two parts of a broken line (as in reading a vernier scale)

So as I understand it, it is lining up 2 or more lines. Your acuity system has a strong ability to do this and it is even better when there are multiple lines. Cool.

So how do Triple Track take advantage of that beyond a standard single line on a ball? I mean, this Vernier acuity thing has to do with lining up 2 lines very accurtely, but that can't possibly apply to lining up a line on the ball with an imaginary line to the hole. And we aren't trying to line up 3 lines on the ball with 3 lines to the hole (which is where hyperaccuity would kick in).

The actual patent claims that a study of 52 people, were able to accurately aim a ball (separate from putting it) was better with their 3 lines, compared to aiming it with the words on the ball. This very limited test did not compare aiming a 3 line ball to a 1 line ball. It compared it to aiming with the words on the ball. There was no proof that 3 lines were better than 1 line.

The patent also claims that the lines on the ball assist the user who has a line on their putter when lining up those 2 lines. But there is no indication that the extra 2 lines are helpful.

So... I really don't see anything indicating that 3 lines is better than 1 line. There was no testing of that in the patent. Vernier acuity would not apply to the additional 2 lines even if it did apply to using the 1 line to match up to your imaginary target line.

Now the new triple track putters would arguably work with the triple track balls to ensure the putter was aligned with the ball. And the 3 lines may be better than one line on the ball and putter, but no testing to attest to it.

Comments?

• Like 3

Yes, I think you may be on to something (that it is marketing BS).

There would be some validity to 3 matching lines on the ball and putter, but even there it seems to only refer to vertical alignment of lines rather than horizontal alignment (different because of how your eyes are aligned relative to the lines)

• Like 1

boy... the greens at your course look a little shaggy. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

On 2/8/2020 at 12:47 AM, VBPUTTS said:

I'd love to buy on of those. Do you have a comparison pic between your markings and a regular triple track ball? 

It says shipping not available to australia 😞

It’s Callaway of course you don’t like it. 

On 4/4/2020 at 12:01 AM, FilOfFuture said:

Thoughts on this vs TM new Pix?

Like the look of new pix balls.hope find one sometime as bit pricey

Golfers minds and confidence play a big role in our on course actions. I don’t really care what companies put in their patent claims or their marketing of a product just like I don’t care what a car manufacturer puts in their marketing. 

Test a product if if works for you then great if it doesn’t also no biggie. 

Personally, I didn't like the feel of the putters, I've never been a fan of inserts. However, the alignment seems very easy and I felt a bit more confident lining up my putts. I have vision problems that makes it difficult to see when there is a lack of contrast and the three line/three color scheme of the triple track makes it very easy to see. I imagine that would be true even if you don't have vision problems. A lot of golf is just feeling confident and the triple track system definitely boosted my confidence, even though I decided to buy a different putter after having tried it. I've heard and read a lot of back and forth on using alignment and people seem to have mix results. Like RickyBobby_PR said, I think it just depends on you and results from your individual testing to see if it improves your alignment and putting.