Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Antigua Golf Collection - Review

001.JPG

011.JPG

002.JPG

Introduction

I'm what some of my friends like to call “metro” – some might joke and prod a bit, but when it comes down to it, I care how I look, and I also realize that others care about how I look.

So, when the opportunity came up for me to test out Antigua's line of clothing, I jumped at it. Their style lines up perfectly with the style of “active wear” that I think goes with my look and makes me feel more confident about myself.

They sent me so much in the way of clothing to review for both my wife and myself, that I've spent well over a month giving it the run through, from snow to 85+ degree weather, we've put it through the paces, and it performed flawlessly all the way through.

Antigua sent the following items:

Men's -

Vista Polo

Ambassador Sweater

Expert Shorts

Accomplish Short Sleeve Button Down Shirt

Atlas Water Resistant Jacket

Women's –

Explorer Microfiber Fleece

Tone Polo

Dream Tee V-Neck

Active Duffel Bag

Active Shoe Bag

With so many pieces, I'll focus on the ones that saw the most use.

Style – 20 Points

One of the things that drew me to want to do a review of Antigua's clothing is the style. Their line of clothes fits the appearance that I like to project, both on the golf course and off. (my friends might call me “metro” – I like to call it looking sharp)

It also helped that Cheryl (my wife) who tested the women's side appreciated the style as well. Nothing looked too much like “workout” clothes (ie: it wasn't going to make her look like a dude, or some chick out for a quick jog and trying to get everyone to stare)

The Ambassador sweater is by far my favorite piece that we received to test and review. I've been wearing it not only to the golf course when it's just slightly chilly in the morning, but I've also been wearing it out to eat in the evening and basically anytime I want to look good and need a sweater to stay warm. And it doesn't work that the black has a slimming effect on my figure ;-)

004.JPG

All of the clothes have a great cut and fit very well on both Cheryl and myself. (one shirt didn't fit – for some reason it was really big on me, but the right size, so I handed it off to a friend to test and review with us)

Score: 20/20

Comfort and Performance – 45 Points

Comfort and performance for clothing go hand-in-hand for me. Next to looking good, if I'm not comfortable, I'm not going to perform well. (golf is a pretty mental game, and not looking good brings down self esteem, so that's as big as performance right?)

I've definitely worn clothes on the golf course that made me look AWESOME (ok, my wife told me they did… she might be biased) but when it came time to perform, I've had other clothes that bunched up, walked up, itched, poked and so on. – Not the case with Antigua's clothing.

I'm very happy with the men's clothing and how it fit. No tight spots hindering my swing. And even when playing 18 holes everything kept me cool and never rubbed me wrong. I felt comfortable the entire time, never feeling like heat was trapped (I wore the Vista Polo and Expert Shorts – I forgot the Ambassador sweater, and wished I'd had it for the first hole) but after the first hole, things started warming up, and the polo and shorts did a GREAT job breathing and wicking. I'm one of the first of my friends to start sweating, so I know when clothes are doing a good job wicking and keeping me cool, and the shirt and shorts are top notch here.

005.JPG

Cheryl found the clothing that she tried to be exceptionally comfortable and allowed her great freedom of movement. The Explorer Microfiber Fleece not only kept her warm, but it also kept her dry. (She did have one minor gripe on the fleece though, saying that the sleeves were just a little short for her taste – the only knock for a point we could find in the comfort and performance section) Not only do the polo and the v-neck t-shirt make her look hot, but she said they were very comfortable, and that the t-shirt is something she would even wear off the course.

On a random trip out of town with friends, we grabbed the fleeces and shells and ended up camping in the snow, and while these aren't exactly snow oriented pieces, when we were moving around, they kept us warm and stylish. (being golf clothing, so they're not so warm that I'd suggest them for skiing, but any weather I'd be interesting in golfing in, I've now got a set of clothes that I know will perform and keep me comfortable)

006.JPG 008.JPG

Score: 43/45

Value – 20 Points

Antigua's brand is not a cheap brand brand. With that comes higher prices vs. your average run-of-the-mill sports clothing. $60 for polo also isn't unheard of, but I do know friends who'd hesitate at the price tag.

007.JPG 009.JPG

Having worn these clothes for several weeks and lots of rounds of golf, I will say that the value is spot on. I'd rather pay a bit more for clothes I know will fit well, look great and perform all day long, as well as into the future, vs. clothes that fall apart after 6 months, or just don't look as good.

I definitely will be shopping for Antigua clothing in the future. I am a bargain hunter myself, and do love a sales rack, but I also wouldn't hesitate paying full price for Antigua clothing.

Score: 20/20

Peanut Gallery – 15 Points

I don't normally have an option to let someone else try the clothes or items I'm reviewing, but in this case the short sleeve button down didn't fit me, so I was able to hand these items off to a friend I regularly golf with. My buddy was definitely excited to get to try out an Antigua shirt for the style alone. His feedback hit home with the same experience that both Cheryl and I had, the clothes fit well, and were comfortable, and performance was top notch.

Also, my friend, who isn't one to hold back on giving his opinion on how I look in clothes, gave a huge thumb up for the style of the Antigua clothes for myself.

When asked about the value/price point on the shirt, my friend said it was definitely spot on for his taste and pocket book.

Score: 15/15

010.JPG

Final Thoughts

I've tried tons of different athletic/performance oriented clothes over the years and Antigua nails it with both stellar performance as well as great style. I'll be looking out for Antigua's line in the future and will definitely be wearing these clothes both on and off the golf course for years to come.

(I'd really give their clothes 100/100 from my own experience, but Cheryl's note on the sleeve length was the only place I could find to deduct any points – and that's her own personal taste)

Overall Score: 98/100

Definite A+ in my book

ah, but your writing skills my friend... #winning on your end in that department ;-) we should team up

and to think, I felt bad with these photos because I shot them during the absolute worst light of the day (been putting off posting the review until I could get decent pics, but decided to forgo that since it wasn't coming together that way)

Archived