Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Phil Mickelson

fixyurdivot

Personally I'm a Phil fan and really like seeing him at the big events - even if for only rounds 1 & 2.  I suppose he simply feels that the special invitation/exemption unfairly keeps another, more deserving, player from his place in the field. Perhaps it is pride.  Still among the top 100 ranked golfers and has both game and experience for these venues... thoughts? 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/mickelson-says-he-wont-accept-us-open-exemption/ar-BBZGn9o?ocid=spartandhp

Without Phil things might get a bit boring... like a box of chocolates, ya never know what you're going to get 😆.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Phil just wants to earn his place in the field and if he doesn’t do it on his merits he doesn’t want it handed to him. It’s no different than how he dealt with the presidents cup. He didn’t automatically qualify and he wasn’t playing well and didn’t want to be picked because he is Phil mickelson 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I get it, who really wants an invitation to something they don’t feel they deserve just based on their name? It means so much more to earn it for yourself than to just be handed it. I hope Phil has one more tournament in him, but if Phil isn’t sure, it’s not very convincing. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Oh well, the Open hasn't exactly been a good venue for him anyway.  Maybe lightning will strike and he'll win The Masters.  

In the infamous words of Roy McEvoy, "The most democratic golf tournament in the world.  I mean, it's open, it's open.  Anybody with a 2 handicap or better's got a shot at it!  You just gotta get through a local and sectional qualifier.  And unlike Doral or Colonial or AT&T, they can't keep you out.  They can't ask you if you're a garbage man, a bean picker or a driving range pro whose check is signed by a stripper.  You qualify, you're in!"

I have never been a fan of the USGA giving special exemptions to anyone.........ever......under any circumstances!   It's the US Open.  It should be "Open!"

Lefty is a unique character, that is for sure.  Has always been overweight and needing a haircut, and beyond having the greatest short game ever, he's got a smoking hot wife to come home to.  He also owns the greatest golf shot I've ever seen, when he hit the 6 iron from the pine straw on #13 at Augusta in 2010.

Two of the most glaring deficiencies from his resume are that he never achieved #1 in the world, and he never won a US Open.  But I am sure Arnold Palmer wishes he had won a PGA Championship as well.  Phil just had the unfortunate reality of having played in the same era as the greatest golfer of the past 30 years.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I love watching him with a short club in his hand. Watching him manipulate a ball with his wedges is pure magic. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

38 minutes ago, Mr. 82 said:

Lefty is a unique character, that is for sure.  Has always been overweight and needing a haircut, and beyond having the greatest short game ever, he's got a smoking hot wife to come home to.  He also owns the greatest golf shot I've ever seen, when he hit the 6 iron from the pine straw on #13 at Augusta in 2010.

Two of the most glaring deficiencies from his resume are that he never achieved #1 in the world, and he never won a US Open.  But I am sure Arnold Palmer wishes he had won a PGA Championship as well.  Phil just had the unfortunate reality of having played in the same era as the greatest golfer of the past 30 years.

Agree.  This and Tiger's moon shot into the night sky are among the best.  Maybe Phil should jump onto the Champions Tour and run the table there for a few years before Tiger shows up.  He can still select a handful main tour events to play in while getting more Thursdays off.

30 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Agree.  This and Tiger's moon shot into the night sky are among the best.  Maybe Phil should jump onto the Champions Tour and run the table there for a few years before Tiger shows up.  He can still select a handful main tour events to play in while getting more Thursdays off.

After watching Phil's presser from yesterday, I get the sense that he still feels like he can not only win on the PGA Tour, but have a really good season.  I get that sense from the fact that he keeps mentioned the speed of his drives, being 182.  I think in Phil's mind, that as long as he can maintain those numbers, then he knows he can compete on a level playing field with the best in the world.  So from that perspective I believe Phil will be able to compete on the PGA Tour for as long as he continues to hit it 315 when he wants to.  No one can ever question his short game, which has always separated him from everyone else, and is the reason why he's the 2nd best player of this generation.

I really never did address Phil's outspokenness about the USGA and a potential US Open special exemption, but I actually love his comments on both.  Him saying that he doesn't understand why golf is the only professional sport that is governed by "amateurs" is a direct shot at the USGA and I actually agree with him there.  The USGA is the biggest point of contention every year in the way that they run their biggest tournament.  The PGA Tour pros have been at odds with the USGA for quite some time, and the rift has only gotten worse in the last few years.  I am actually surprised that more PGA Tour pros haven't opted to just pass on playing in the US Open honestly, as most of them just seem to air their frustration with the USGA and how they set up a championship golf course.  Phil's comments about how he wouldn't take a special exemption even if it was offered could also be construed as another way of saying that Phil really doesn't see the US Open as a high priority, and based on his antics at Shinnecock with hitting a moving ball, perhaps he is saying that he'll play in it if he qualifies, but it doesn't appear to be something he will go out of his way to make an effort to get into if he isn't already exempt.  Phil skipped the 2017 US Open due to a conflict with one his kid's high school graduation, so I think he's trying to be a diplomatic as possible about his apparent frustration with the USGA by using any and every excuse to avoid playing in the US Open.  Honestly, I appreciate his comments, and his honesty with regards to actually answering the questions asked as best he can, without trying to come across as a total tard.  The USGA certainly has issues with regards to the US Open.  I mean, Phil could come right out and say something like, "I honestly have no desire whatsoever to participate in another USGA event, ever." but he's trying to take the high road on what could otherwise be a pretty hot topic that no one will want to touch.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

• 2 weeks later...

Coach K always says the name on the front of the jersey is much more important than the one on the back. Golf may not be a team sport but the lesson remains the same. Names and personalities will change as the sport lives on.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

On 2/6/2020 at 9:45 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Off course, someone had to bring up Tiger!🐅

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

On 2/6/2020 at 9:45 AM, fixyurdivot said:

I doubt we ever see tiger play any type of schedule on the champions tour

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 2/6/2020 at 7:27 AM, Mr. 82 said:

After watching Phil's presser from yesterday, I get the sense that he still feels like he can not only win on the PGA Tour, but have a really good season.  I get that sense from the fact that he keeps mentioned the speed of his drives, being 182.  I think in Phil's mind, that as long as he can maintain those numbers, then he knows he can compete on a level playing field with the best in the world.  So from that perspective I believe Phil will be able to compete on the PGA Tour for as long as he continues to hit it 315 when he wants to.  No one can ever question his short game, which has always separated him from everyone else, and is the reason why he's the 2nd best player of this generation.

I really never did address Phil's outspokenness about the USGA and a potential US Open special exemption, but I actually love his comments on both.  Him saying that he doesn't understand why golf is the only professional sport that is governed by "amateurs" is a direct shot at the USGA and I actually agree with him there.  The USGA is the biggest point of contention every year in the way that they run their biggest tournament.  The PGA Tour pros have been at odds with the USGA for quite some time, and the rift has only gotten worse in the last few years.  I am actually surprised that more PGA Tour pros haven't opted to just pass on playing in the US Open honestly, as most of them just seem to air their frustration with the USGA and how they set up a championship golf course.  Phil's comments about how he wouldn't take a special exemption even if it was offered could also be construed as another way of saying that Phil really doesn't see the US Open as a high priority, and based on his antics at Shinnecock with hitting a moving ball, perhaps he is saying that he'll play in it if he qualifies, but it doesn't appear to be something he will go out of his way to make an effort to get into if he isn't already exempt.  Phil skipped the 2017 US Open due to a conflict with one his kid's high school graduation, so I think he's trying to be a diplomatic as possible about his apparent frustration with the USGA by using any and every excuse to avoid playing in the US Open.  Honestly, I appreciate his comments, and his honesty with regards to actually answering the questions asked as best he can, without trying to come across as a total tard.  The USGA certainly has issues with regards to the US Open.  I mean, Phil could come right out and say something like, "I honestly have no desire whatsoever to participate in another USGA event, ever." but he's trying to take the high road on what could otherwise be a pretty hot topic that no one will want to touch.

Yes, Phil is still hitting the ball a long way, particularly for his age, but has always been horrible accuracy-wise.  Long and in the rough is not good for his condition.  His marvelous short game is somewhat overrated.  We get to see some miraculous Phil shots when he plays (because he has to make them), but he also makes a lot of mistakes with short game shots.  I saw quite a few during the west coast swing.  He hasn't been in the top 20 in Strokes Gained around the green since 2012.  He can't recover from bad shots as well as he used to.

I think Phil will play on the Champions Tour with a few select PGA Tour events just like most of the pros who become eligible for the Champions Tour do.  He said last year that he is not going to play at events where the rough is too thick because of his arthritis.  

If the Tour takes to heart what Dean Snell said about rolling back the ball, there could be more courses with slower, narrower fairways and thicker rough in the future.  That is not a recipe for Phil staying on the Big Tour.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I read the Detroit News sports online each day, and when I read the article about Phil losing $500k years ago, I knew something was going to happen, or be said. Sure enough. Looks like the reporter held onto the article until Phil came to town, so it’s not a very good look. It could’ve been published a long time ago. I understand the reporter and paper are doing their job, selling papers and views, but to me it’s Bush League to do this to a big name you NEED at your tournament. I like Phil. He’s had his challenges, and made some tough decisions, but there was no need to do him like that especially when he’s the ONE biggest name the RMC has.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Sad on all fronts. https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/golf/2021/06/29/how-grosse-pointe-bookie-allegedly-cheated-phil-mickelson/7779898002/

Phil is one of the greats of golf, but not as squeaky clean as his public image. I can understand why Phil was angry with the timing, presumably that author/news source will get some backlash too.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

3 hours ago, PMookie said:

I read the Detroit News sports online each day, and when I read the article about Phil losing $500k years ago, I knew something was going to happen, or be said. Sure enough. Looks like the reporter held onto the article until Phil came to town, so it’s not a very good look. It could’ve been published a long time ago. I understand the reporter and paper are doing their job, selling papers and views, but to me it’s Bush League to do this to a big name you NEED at your tournament. I like Phil. He’s had his challenges, and made some tough decisions, but there was no need to do him like that especially when he’s the ONE biggest name the RMC has.

I cannot stand any news media outlet.  It seems that they are only out to ruin people these days.  I haven’t read a positive article in a while…

2 hours ago, Middler said:

Sad on all fronts. https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/golf/2021/06/29/how-grosse-pointe-bookie-allegedly-cheated-phil-mickelson/7779898002/

Phil is one of the greats of golf, but not as squeaky clean as his public image. I can understand why Phil was angry with the timing, presumably that author/news source will get some backlash too.

Is anyone though?  Everyone has that one thing or few things that they would like not to be public information.  Lucky for us all, we aren’t celebrities.

3 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Is anyone though?  Everyone has that one thing or few things that they would like not to be public information.  Lucky for us all, we aren’t celebrities.

Most of us probably, but not everyone. It was underhanded, but Phil has no one to blame but himself.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Phil did nothing wrong.  I think that reporter was opportunistic.  Was it really actual news that mattered or was it just to sell newspapers and create “buzz?”  As it turns out, the real story isn’t about a bookie not paying out on bets, but Phil getting upset because some reporter is trying to make a name for himself at the expense of embarrassing a great player. 

• :ping-small: G425 Max driver
  • :ping-small: G425 SFT 3 wood
  • :ping-small: G425 3 and 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 48 and CBX2 52/58 Wedges
  • :odyssey-small: 2 ball Ten Tour lined
  • :bridgestone-small:Tour BX ball
  • :Arccos: Arccos Caddie with Apple Watch
  • :footjoy-small: Hyperflex shoes
  • :BagBoy: Chiller Hybrid Stand Bag

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

I cannot stand any news media outlet.  It seems that they are only out to ruin people these days.  I haven’t read a positive article in a while…

I'm with ya on that for sure. Dirty trash and unsubstantiated half-truths sells... honest, professional journalism goes broke 😕.  

On 2/5/2020 at 5:20 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Personally I'm a Phil fan and really like seeing him at the big events - even if for only rounds 1 & 2.  I suppose he simply feels that the special invitation/exemption unfairly keeps another, more deserving, player from his place in the field. Perhaps it is pride.  Still among the top 100 ranked golfers and has both game and experience for these venues... thoughts? 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/mickelson-says-he-wont-accept-us-open-exemption/ar-BBZGn9o?ocid=spartandhp

Without Phil things might get a bit boring... like a box of chocolates, ya never know what you're going to get 😆.

Great video. Reason why people like me hate teh US Open it is stupid how they set up the greens, JMO.