Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

How does the EF Sub Zero work for slow swing speeds?

As I've turned 52 and my kids get older, more time consuming and irritable, my driver swing speed has dropped a bit. I saw that My Golf Spy ranked the Epic Flash Sub Zero as the best driver for slower swing speeds and if they say it, I believe it. I love that My Golf Spy bases its recommendations on data and results, not how many pages an equipment company is buying in their magazine.

My question is how does the Sub Zero work for slow swing speeds? Isn't it a spin killer? Doesn't the ball need spin to elevate and carry and slower swings don't impart a ton of spin in the first place? I'm not an engineer, but if I hadn't seen the results on My Golf Spy, I would have assumed that the Sub Zero would cause drives to dead quail and fall out of the air when used by a slow swinger.

I'm amped up to buy one, so please someone explain why the Sub Zero is optimal for someone like me that swings between 88 and 94mph.

Thank you!

Like any driver it’s going to vary by golfer. Someone that is slower swing speed and hits a ball with lots of spin may see the benefit of a lower spin head. 

Typically low spin and higher launch are going to increase distance but there’s a point just like with too much spin that low spin will be more detrimental than helpful.

I don’t think anyone can say why this would be optimal for you without seeing launch numbers for your current setup and even then it would be an educated guess but only a fitting would tell if it’s optimal for you

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

So ideally, I should look for a 12 degree Sub Zero to launch the heck out of it, but with low spin. I agree with you, I need to part with the $$ and have a professional fitter take a look. There is no way around it which the cheap part of me cannot accept. Thank you for your thoughts!

8 minutes ago, dastclair said:

So ideally, I should look for a 12 degree Sub Zero to launch the heck out of it, but with low spin. I agree with you, I need to part with the $$ and have a professional fitter take a look. There is no way around it which the cheap part of me cannot accept. Thank you for your thoughts!

The higher loft could work better but I have seen  some others who thought they needed more loft and actually ended up gettin fit into a lower lofted head non sz or in other brands non low spin heads to reduce spin. Unfortunately it’s really hard to say all will work the same for everyone 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Need to see launch conditions for what loft you need. You may need to switch the weights...heavy back to get better launch and spin instead of heavy front.

If you have a store near you go try the driver and see what numbers you get. Look at ideal launch conditions numbers for your swing speed on sites like trackman.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 2/6/2020 at 9:11 AM, dastclair said:

As I've turned 52 and my kids get older, more time consuming and irritable, my driver swing speed has dropped a bit. I saw that My Golf Spy ranked the Epic Flash Sub Zero as the best driver for slower swing speeds and if they say it, I believe it. I love that

Stop right there.  Who cares what MyGolfSpy said in a test.  This is not the end all be all.  I don't want to take anything away from the test or the results because I believe a lot of what they say, however, I am not going to just read a review and go out and buy what they say.  Let this be a guide for you instead.  Go test a lot of models yourself.  Test last years models and this years models.  What worked in the testing my not work for you.  I have a Flash Sub Zero, but before I bought it, I tried every driver I could get my hands on.  You should do the same.  As mentioned, go to a fitter and find the right shaft and head combo for you and you only.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

On 2/6/2020 at 9:11 AM, dastclair said:

As I've turned 52 and my kids get older, more time consuming and irritable, my driver swing speed has dropped a bit. I saw that My Golf Spy ranked the Epic Flash Sub Zero as the best driver for slower swing speeds and if they say it, I believe it. I love that My Golf Spy bases its recommendations on data and results, not how many pages an equipment company is buying in their magazine.

My question is how does the Sub Zero work for slow swing speeds? Isn't it a spin killer? Doesn't the ball need spin to elevate and carry and slower swings don't impart a ton of spin in the first place? I'm not an engineer, but if I hadn't seen the results on My Golf Spy, I would have assumed that the Sub Zero would cause drives to dead quail and fall out of the air when used by a slow swinger.

I'm amped up to buy one, so please someone explain why the Sub Zero is optimal for someone like me that swings between 88 and 94mph.

Thank you!

All the wise men above me, said seriously as I know them all are very on point about what is rated best in a test of 39 testers may not work best for you, it just means it scored the besto among the group as a whole  Cnosil can give you as much info on this as you'd like as he is one of the valued testers.

Now personal experience, I have a slow swing speed, not more than 90 mph and tend to hit from outside to in, creating more spin than someone who has a better face to path ratio.   So in my fitting for both the Titleist 917 and Epic Flash,  both times I was fit into the lower spinning model, meaning the TS3 for Titleist and SZ for Callaway.   Titleist put me in a 9.5 head for the reasons RickyBobby mentioned.   The Epic Flash was a 10.5 for the reason you mentioned, gave me a bit more loft and carry.    

So as they all said, you won't truly know what's best for you unless you are able to at least demo a few or at best get a good professional fitting. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 1 month later...

My swing speed is anywhere from 94 to 98 so I’m close to where you are, and while the Epic Flash SZ may be a “spin killer” I can still get mine up over 4K when I catch it low on the heel and that’s with a +5 AoA. Point being there’s a whole lot more to how much spin you’re generating than the club head. I may be special but I’ve run across as many drivers that spin too low as I have winning lottery tickets.