Trip D

MaxFli or Snell

Our Sponsors

I've decided I'm going to play one ball, and it's going to be either a MaxFli Tour X or Snell MTB X.  If they were both the identical price, which would you choose?

CURRENTLY TESTING: SkyCaddie SX400

:ping-small:  G400 Driver, Alta CB 55 S, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 3W, Alta CB S Flex 65, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 19*, Alta CB S Flex 70, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 4-U Irons, Alta CB S Flex, Winn Dri-Tac

:callaway-small: Smart Sole SW,

:odyssey-small: White Steel 2 Ball SRT Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab Grip

... I have played Snell MTB and Maxfli Tour X but not the Snell MTB-X. I really like both balls but if I could get them at the same price, I would chose the Snell MTB. That said $19.99 for the Maxfli Tour X is really had to pass up if you play a LOT of golf. 

USE CODE: MGS1999 Evidently MGS struck a deal with Dicks to get Maxfli Tour and Tour X balls for $19.99 a dozen with free shipping. 

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/maxfli-2019-tour-x-golf-balls-19maxmmxfltrxglssgbl/19maxmmxfltrxglssgbl

• Like 2

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

I ordered a doz. of each flavor. Tour and Tour-x Certainly don't need any balls but WTH. I'll bet they play pretty good.  And with the MGS code and free shipping I couldn't refuse. $1.80/ball.

• Like 2

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

1 hour ago, Trip D said:

I've decided I'm going to play one ball, and it's going to be either a MaxFli Tour X or Snell MTB X.  If they were both the identical price, which would you choose?

Never played the Maxfli Tour X, so can't compare, but I do like the Snell MTB-X and that's my ball of choice, not just because of the price point, either.  It's a good ball fit for me.

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Just bought my first two dozen Snell MTB-X.  Trying to figure out what to do with several dozen "others....."

• Like 2

Played the MTB X for most of last year and i absolutely loved it. Went plenty far with a lot of spin. Played the Tour X for a couple rounds and it just didn't seem to spin as much for me but it still felt like a solid ball.

Id go Maxfli because I could go buy them at any DSG or Golf Galaxy and wouldnt need to buy 5 dozen just to get a good deal.

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Snell.

• Like 1

• :ping-small: G400 Driver, 3 Fairway
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Irons - 18° & 21°
  • :Hogan: Ft. Worth Hi Utility Iron - 24°
  • :callaway-small: Forged Razr X 6-A Wedge irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 54° & 58°
  • :ping-small: Sigma2 Tyne Putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:NX7 Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

15 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

Id go Maxfli because I could go buy them at any DSG or Golf Galaxy and wouldnt need to buy 5 dozen just to get a good deal.

The price you pay for even one dozen Snell is the price listed on the website, which includes tax and shipping, just FYI.  No hidden charges, and every order comes with a signed invoice by Dean Snell himself.  Snell is first class.

Edited by Mr. 82
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Mr. 82 said:

The price you pay for even one dozen Snell is the price listed on the website, which includes tax and shipping, just FYI.  No hidden charges, and every order comes with a signed invoice by Dean Snell himself.  Snell is first class.

Right but you can just go to DSG/GG and get a box of Maxflis whenever you want and not have to plan ahead and order a week or 2 before you are out.  Not to mention they often run sales where you can them for $25 each.

Im not knocking Snell but unless you buy them 5 dozen at a time, theyre really not that good of a deal and even then, if you just wait for a sale, you can still get Maxflis for less.

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

21 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

Right but you can just go to DSG/GG and get a box of Maxflis whenever you want and not have to plan ahead and order a week or 2 before you are out.  Not to mention they often run sales where you can them for $25 each.

Im not knocking Snell but unless you buy them 5 dozen at a time, theyre really not that good of a deal and even then, if you just wait for a sale, you can still get Maxflis for less.

I haven't played the Maxfli, so I won't make a specific recommendation.  However, since the OP is planning to use just one ball, planning ahead shouldn't be much of a problem.  Order 5 dozen, and when 4 are gone, make another order.  Assuming of course that he's happy with the choice.  For me, I've had the balls arrive within a week of when I order, but I don't think there's a specific guarantee.

• Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

8 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

LOL, whatever dude.  Go buy Maxfli.  I mean, if you need the balls that urgently and can't plan ahead you might as well pay whatever the pro shop is overcharging you for balls.

• Like 1

Just ordered another 5 dozen MTB-X because one of my buddies wanted to buy 2 of the 3 dozen I still had in my garage.  Easy peasy.    Got the high number version.

Regarding saving a buck or two here or there, yes, there are better "deals" out there on golf balls...but are the balls better?  The lower price attracted me, but now I play Snell because I like them.  

• Like 2

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

5 hours ago, CarlH said:

Just ordered another 5 dozen MTB-X because one of my buddies wanted to buy 2 of the 3 dozen I still had in my garage.  Easy peasy.    Got the high number version.

Regarding saving a buck or two here or there, yes, there are better "deals" out there on golf balls...but are the balls better?  The lower price attracted me, but now I play Snell because I like them.  

Same here.  I play them because they feel like and play like a ProV1x to me, and they're a better deal than the ProV1x.  I didn't need to make any adjustments to my game, and they're cheaper than the Titleists.  But I don't feel like I need to save even more money and possibly sacrifice quality.

• Like 3

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Hybrid - Titleist 585 (17*) - Titleist 4175 ( R )
4i - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Forest Green)
Ball -  :Snell: MTB-X
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I'm kind of curious, how many balls are you guys losing a round?  I just don't see price as the most important factor in determining what golf ball to play.  It's just such a small part of the cost of golf.  I'm all for saving money but you use the golf ball on every shot so kind of important.  For me, I'm losing or wrecking 1 ball every couple rounds, sometimes more obviously and sometimes less.  But back to the OP post, I'd go with the Snell balls.  

TM M4  or TS2

EPIC 15*

Titleist 816 H1 19 & 24*

Titleist T200 5-GW

Vokey SM8  54

Vokey SM8 58

PXG Operator H 

26 minutes ago, Larryd3 said:

I'm kind of curious, how many balls are you guys losing a round?  I just don't see price as the most important factor in determining what golf ball to play.  It's just such a small part of the cost of golf.  I'm all for saving money but you use the golf ball on every shot so kind of important.  For me, I'm losing or wrecking 1 ball every couple rounds, sometimes more obviously and sometimes less.  But back to the OP post, I'd go with the Snell balls.  

If Snell didn't perform to my satisfaction, I would not continue using them and would go back to either TaylorMade or Bridgestone balls.  But, they do perform well for me.  I don't lose many golf balls and retire more than I lose (after several rounds or too many collisions with cart paths).  That's why, when I open my last dozen, I know it's time to reorder and don't worry about not having balls available.  (Shipping is a lot faster than how fast I'd go through a dozen golf balls!!!!!)

... I start every round with a new ball, so playing 107 rounds last winter in Phoenix I went through quite a few balls. Then there is the desert and on more than a few courses I played, the desert is at the edge of the fairway with rocks and pebbles cutting up any ball that enters. Trying to reach a par 5 in two with water guarding the green for 107 rounds means a few more balls lost. I took 10 dozen with me last winter and had to pick up 2 dozen Maxfli Tour X when they went on sale before heading back to Chicago. I play TP5x so at $45 a dozen that's about $500 with tax and shipping for 3 months of balls if I paid full retail, so any sales or bulk purchases can mean a pretty significant savings. 

• Like 2

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

I havent played Maxfli's in years. Have been playing Snell's the last two years and love them!