Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

MaxFli or Snell

Trip D

... I have played Snell MTB and Maxfli Tour X but not the Snell MTB-X. I really like both balls but if I could get them at the same price, I would chose the Snell MTB. That said $19.99 for the Maxfli Tour X is really had to pass up if you play a LOT of golf. 

USE CODE: MGS1999 Evidently MGS struck a deal with Dicks to get Maxfli Tour and Tour X balls for $19.99 a dozen with free shipping. 

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/maxfli-2019-tour-x-golf-balls-19maxmmxfltrxglssgbl/19maxmmxfltrxglssgbl

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I ordered a doz. of each flavor. Tour and Tour-x Certainly don't need any balls but WTH. I'll bet they play pretty good.  And with the MGS code and free shipping I couldn't refuse. $1.80/ball.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

1 hour ago, Trip D said:

I've decided I'm going to play one ball, and it's going to be either a MaxFli Tour X or Snell MTB X.  If they were both the identical price, which would you choose?

Never played the Maxfli Tour X, so can't compare, but I do like the Snell MTB-X and that's my ball of choice, not just because of the price point, either.  It's a good ball fit for me.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

• 2 weeks later...

Id go Maxfli because I could go buy them at any DSG or Golf Galaxy and wouldnt need to buy 5 dozen just to get a good deal.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

15 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

Id go Maxfli because I could go buy them at any DSG or Golf Galaxy and wouldnt need to buy 5 dozen just to get a good deal.

The price you pay for even one dozen Snell is the price listed on the website, which includes tax and shipping, just FYI.  No hidden charges, and every order comes with a signed invoice by Dean Snell himself.  Snell is first class.

Edited by Mr. 82
  • :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Snell

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

15 hours ago, Mr. 82 said:

The price you pay for even one dozen Snell is the price listed on the website, which includes tax and shipping, just FYI.  No hidden charges, and every order comes with a signed invoice by Dean Snell himself.  Snell is first class.

Right but you can just go to DSG/GG and get a box of Maxflis whenever you want and not have to plan ahead and order a week or 2 before you are out.  Not to mention they often run sales where you can them for $25 each.

Im not knocking Snell but unless you buy them 5 dozen at a time, theyre really not that good of a deal and even then, if you just wait for a sale, you can still get Maxflis for less.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

21 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

Right but you can just go to DSG/GG and get a box of Maxflis whenever you want and not have to plan ahead and order a week or 2 before you are out.  Not to mention they often run sales where you can them for $25 each.

Im not knocking Snell but unless you buy them 5 dozen at a time, theyre really not that good of a deal and even then, if you just wait for a sale, you can still get Maxflis for less.

I haven't played the Maxfli, so I won't make a specific recommendation.  However, since the OP is planning to use just one ball, planning ahead shouldn't be much of a problem.  Order 5 dozen, and when 4 are gone, make another order.  Assuming of course that he's happy with the choice.  For me, I've had the balls arrive within a week of when I order, but I don't think there's a specific guarantee.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

8 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

LOL, whatever dude.  Go buy Maxfli.  I mean, if you need the balls that urgently and can't plan ahead you might as well pay whatever the pro shop is overcharging you for balls.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Just ordered another 5 dozen MTB-X because one of my buddies wanted to buy 2 of the 3 dozen I still had in my garage.  Easy peasy.    Got the high number version.

Regarding saving a buck or two here or there, yes, there are better "deals" out there on golf balls...but are the balls better?  The lower price attracted me, but now I play Snell because I like them.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

5 hours ago, CarlH said:

Just ordered another 5 dozen MTB-X because one of my buddies wanted to buy 2 of the 3 dozen I still had in my garage.  Easy peasy.    Got the high number version.

Regarding saving a buck or two here or there, yes, there are better "deals" out there on golf balls...but are the balls better?  The lower price attracted me, but now I play Snell because I like them.  

Same here.  I play them because they feel like and play like a ProV1x to me, and they're a better deal than the ProV1x.  I didn't need to make any adjustments to my game, and they're cheaper than the Titleists.  But I don't feel like I need to save even more money and possibly sacrifice quality.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I'm kind of curious, how many balls are you guys losing a round?  I just don't see price as the most important factor in determining what golf ball to play.  It's just such a small part of the cost of golf.  I'm all for saving money but you use the golf ball on every shot so kind of important.  For me, I'm losing or wrecking 1 ball every couple rounds, sometimes more obviously and sometimes less.  But back to the OP post, I'd go with the Snell balls.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

26 minutes ago, Larryd3 said:

I'm kind of curious, how many balls are you guys losing a round?  I just don't see price as the most important factor in determining what golf ball to play.  It's just such a small part of the cost of golf.  I'm all for saving money but you use the golf ball on every shot so kind of important.  For me, I'm losing or wrecking 1 ball every couple rounds, sometimes more obviously and sometimes less.  But back to the OP post, I'd go with the Snell balls.  

If Snell didn't perform to my satisfaction, I would not continue using them and would go back to either TaylorMade or Bridgestone balls.  But, they do perform well for me.  I don't lose many golf balls and retire more than I lose (after several rounds or too many collisions with cart paths).  That's why, when I open my last dozen, I know it's time to reorder and don't worry about not having balls available.  (Shipping is a lot faster than how fast I'd go through a dozen golf balls!!!!!)

... I start every round with a new ball, so playing 107 rounds last winter in Phoenix I went through quite a few balls. Then there is the desert and on more than a few courses I played, the desert is at the edge of the fairway with rocks and pebbles cutting up any ball that enters. Trying to reach a par 5 in two with water guarding the green for 107 rounds means a few more balls lost. I took 10 dozen with me last winter and had to pick up 2 dozen Maxfli Tour X when they went on sale before heading back to Chicago. I play TP5x so at $45 a dozen that's about $500 with tax and shipping for 3 months of balls if I paid full retail, so any sales or bulk purchases can mean a pretty significant savings. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2020 at 4:28 PM, Larryd3 said:

I might lose 2 or 3 per round.  For me, spending less on balls means that I can afford to play more golf.  When you play Pro V1s at $5 a ball and lose 3 per round, you are losing $15 worth of balls.  Over the course of a month, thats $45 worth of balls.

On 3/29/2020 at 7:01 PM, Retrogolfer36 said:

I might lose 2 or 3 per round.  For me, spending less on balls means that I can afford to play more golf.  When you play Pro V1s at $5 a ball and lose 3 per round, you are losing $15 worth of balls.  Over the course of a month, thats $45 worth of balls.

I don't think there is a better ball on the market than Snell. Having said that, if you lose 2-3 balls a round then I'd say play the cheapest ball you can buy that performs the way you want it to.

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

I have not tried a Maxfli but the Snell MTB-X is an excellent ball.  I am kind of a ball snob and only play Titleist Pro V1 or V1x but I have played the Snell MTB-X and really liked them but I felt the Pro V's were slightly better around the green for me.  

Ping G425 Max 10.5 with a Tour AD IZ-7 XStiff 

Ping G425 3-wood (14.5 degree)

Ping G425 Hybrid (19 degree)

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged W/Stiff Shafts

Vokey SM8 50.08, 54.14, 58,10

Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 (2020)

Pro V1x 

1 hour ago, braincramp said:

I don't think there is a better ball on the market than Snell. Having said that, if you lose 2-3 balls a round then I'd say play the cheapest ball you can buy that performs the way you want it to.

I dont know about that.  Its not like Snell has his own ball plant and I really doubt how much of the design he really does anymore.  I highly doubt that a mom 'n pop company like Snell is sending his ball designs to Foremost and has his own QC people at the plant in Taiwan, ensuring that the quality is good.

I think that what a lot of people forget with these DTC companies is that 2, 3 and even 4-piece ball technology is pretty old tech.  Theres nothing really revolutionary about golf balls anymore, so what exactly is Dean Snell designing?

IMO, with all of these DTC companies, its all in what brand image you buy into.  Vice was about cutting out the middle man, Snell and Quantix are all about former designers who started their own company, Seed is kind of about a subscription based model.  All of their balls are made by Foremost though and it wouldnt surprise me at all if they werent exactly the same ball.

Yes, Dean Snell has designed some of the best golf balls ever but that was a long time ago, I just have a really hard time believing that he has a whole lot of a hand in it anymore.  Having said that, Ive played Snell balls and they are quite good.

23 minutes ago, Retrogolfer36 said:

I dont know about that.  Its not like Snell has his own ball plant and I really doubt how much of the design he really does anymore.  I highly doubt that a mom 'n pop company like Snell is sending his ball designs to Foremost and has his own QC people at the plant in Taiwan, ensuring that the quality is good.

I think that what a lot of people forget with these DTC companies is that 2, 3 and even 4-piece ball technology is pretty old tech.  Theres nothing really revolutionary about golf balls anymore, so what exactly is Dean Snell designing?

IMO, with all of these DTC companies, its all in what brand image you buy into.  Vice was about cutting out the middle man, Snell and Quantix are all about former designers who started their own company, Seed is kind of about a subscription based model.  All of their balls are made by Foremost though and it wouldnt surprise me at all if they werent exactly the same ball.

Yes, Dean Snell has designed some of the best golf balls ever but that was a long time ago, I just have a really hard time believing that he has a whole lot of a hand in it anymore.  Having said that, Ive played Snell balls and they are quite good.

Snell has 40 patents to his name and several more are pending. He is still considered "the man" when it comes to design. You're way off base with your assumptions in my opinion. Video below is worth the watch

Edited by braincramp

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

I haven't played Maxfli in years.  But the Snell's MTB are leading the way...

a. Ladies Flex/10-12 degrees loft/25"-27" (male equivalent)

b. Adjustable/Ladies Flex (male equivalent)

c. Right-Handed

d. San Diego

e. -18

• 4 weeks later...

I really like the Snell MBTX. However, have you considered Vice. The Vice Pro is $5 cheaper per dozen and performs similarly. 

:ping-small: G410, 9°, Tensei Orange 70-S
:adams-small: Tight Lies, 16°, Bassara 55-S
:adams-small: Idea Tech Boxer a40S 4 hybrid, Tour AD 65-R
:callaway-small:  X-20 Tour 4I-PW, Project X 5.5
:mizuno-small: MP-T4 50°, True Temper
:cleveland-small: 588 56°, stock
:nike-small: SV 60°, stock
:scotty-small: Newport 2 Notchback, Flat Cat grip
vice.png.4b217c198888a58207ae8084550b589d.pngPro balls

When I have played both, I have liked the Snell MTB Black more than the X. Most of you seem to like the X more. Why?  For me, the Black is longer and I don’t that much difference in my short game.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

We cannot get Snell downunder but I have read great reviews on them. I use the Seed 01 which I find comparable to the Pro V1.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

The Maxfli’s are the bomb for me.....distance and control are key.
Not to mention the price. Bought 2 for $50 then had a $20 off at Dick’s....makes them $20/dozen.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder