Trip D

MaxFli or Snell

Our Sponsors

On 2/24/2020 at 4:28 PM, Larryd3 said:

I'm kind of curious, how many balls are you guys losing a round?  I just don't see price as the most important factor in determining what golf ball to play.  It's just such a small part of the cost of golf.  I'm all for saving money but you use the golf ball on every shot so kind of important.  For me, I'm losing or wrecking 1 ball every couple rounds, sometimes more obviously and sometimes less.  But back to the OP post, I'd go with the Snell balls.  

I might lose 2 or 3 per round.  For me, spending less on balls means that I can afford to play more golf.  When you play Pro V1s at $5 a ball and lose 3 per round, you are losing $15 worth of balls.  Over the course of a month, thats $45 worth of balls.

Whats in my Top-Flite Gamer 2019 cart bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Top-Flite Gamer 2020 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Pinemeadow PGX SL

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

On 3/29/2020 at 7:01 PM, Retrogolfer36 said:

I might lose 2 or 3 per round.  For me, spending less on balls means that I can afford to play more golf.  When you play Pro V1s at $5 a ball and lose 3 per round, you are losing $15 worth of balls.  Over the course of a month, thats $45 worth of balls.

I don't think there is a better ball on the market than Snell. Having said that, if you lose 2-3 balls a round then I'd say play the cheapest ball you can buy that performs the way you want it to.

Ping G400 , Titleist 917 3 wood , Ping Anser Hybrids 20,23,27, Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW , Ping Glide Wedges 50,54,58 , Scotty Cameron Newport 3

I have not tried a Maxfli but the Snell MTB-X is an excellent ball.  I am kind of a ball snob and only play Titleist Pro V1 or V1x but I have played the Snell MTB-X and really liked them but I felt the Pro V's were slightly better around the green for me.  

• Like 1

Cobra F9 Driver (10.5) with a Tour AD IZ-7 XStiff 

Titleist 917 F2 3 wood (13.5) Diamana White 80 stiff shaft

Titleist 917 F2 5 wood (18) Diamana Blue 70 stiff shaft

Titleist T100 Irons with AMT White Stiff Shafts

Vokey SM8 50.08, 54.14, 58,10

Scotty Cameron Squareback (2020)

Pro V1 or V1x 

1 hour ago, braincramp said:

I don't think there is a better ball on the market than Snell. Having said that, if you lose 2-3 balls a round then I'd say play the cheapest ball you can buy that performs the way you want it to.

I dont know about that.  Its not like Snell has his own ball plant and I really doubt how much of the design he really does anymore.  I highly doubt that a mom 'n pop company like Snell is sending his ball designs to Foremost and has his own QC people at the plant in Taiwan, ensuring that the quality is good.

I think that what a lot of people forget with these DTC companies is that 2, 3 and even 4-piece ball technology is pretty old tech.  Theres nothing really revolutionary about golf balls anymore, so what exactly is Dean Snell designing?

IMO, with all of these DTC companies, its all in what brand image you buy into.  Vice was about cutting out the middle man, Snell and Quantix are all about former designers who started their own company, Seed is kind of about a subscription based model.  All of their balls are made by Foremost though and it wouldnt surprise me at all if they werent exactly the same ball.

Yes, Dean Snell has designed some of the best golf balls ever but that was a long time ago, I just have a really hard time believing that he has a whole lot of a hand in it anymore.  Having said that, Ive played Snell balls and they are quite good.

Whats in my Top-Flite Gamer 2019 cart bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Top-Flite Gamer 2020 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Pinemeadow PGX SL

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Retrogolfer36 said:

I dont know about that.  Its not like Snell has his own ball plant and I really doubt how much of the design he really does anymore.  I highly doubt that a mom 'n pop company like Snell is sending his ball designs to Foremost and has his own QC people at the plant in Taiwan, ensuring that the quality is good.

I think that what a lot of people forget with these DTC companies is that 2, 3 and even 4-piece ball technology is pretty old tech.  Theres nothing really revolutionary about golf balls anymore, so what exactly is Dean Snell designing?

IMO, with all of these DTC companies, its all in what brand image you buy into.  Vice was about cutting out the middle man, Snell and Quantix are all about former designers who started their own company, Seed is kind of about a subscription based model.  All of their balls are made by Foremost though and it wouldnt surprise me at all if they werent exactly the same ball.

Yes, Dean Snell has designed some of the best golf balls ever but that was a long time ago, I just have a really hard time believing that he has a whole lot of a hand in it anymore.  Having said that, Ive played Snell balls and they are quite good.

Snell has 40 patents to his name and several more are pending. He is still considered "the man" when it comes to design. You're way off base with your assumptions in my opinion. Video below is worth the watch

Edited by braincramp
  • Like 2

Ping G400 , Titleist 917 3 wood , Ping Anser Hybrids 20,23,27, Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW , Ping Glide Wedges 50,54,58 , Scotty Cameron Newport 3

I haven't played Maxfli in years.  But the Snell's MTB are leading the way...

a. Ladies Flex/10-12 degrees loft/25"-27" (male equivalent)

b. Adjustable/Ladies Flex (male equivalent)

c. Right-Handed

d. San Diego

e. -18

I really like the Snell MBTX. However, have you considered Vice. The Vice Pro is $5 cheaper per dozen and performs similarly. 

:ping-small: G410, 9°, Tensei Orange 70-S
:adams-small: Tight Lies, 16°, Bassara 55-S
:adams-small: Idea Tech Boxer a40S 4 hybrid, Tour AD 65-R
:callaway-small:  X-20 Tour 4I-PW, Project X 5.5
:mizuno-small: MP-T4 50°, True Temper
:cleveland-small: 588 56°, stock
:nike-small: SV 60°, stock
:scotty-small: Newport 2 Notchback, Flat Cat grip
vice.png.4b217c198888a58207ae8084550b589d.pngPro balls

When I have played both, I have liked the Snell MTB Black more than the X. Most of you seem to like the X more. Why?  For me, the Black is longer and I don’t that much difference in my short game.

• :ping-small: G Driver 10.5 Aldila Alta Regular Flex 55
  • :cobra-small: S2 5 wood Fujikura 65 FW Regular Shaft
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedges 54 and 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft
  • :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length
  • Golf ball :srixon-small: Q Star Tour or Z Star

We cannot get Snell downunder but I have read great reviews on them. I use the Seed 01 which I find comparable to the Pro V1.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

The Maxfli’s are the bomb for me.....distance and control are key.
Not to mention the price. Bought 2 for $50 then had a $20 off at Dick’s....makes them $20/dozen.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

I play Snell MTB Black.  They feel great off the driver, they don't over spin on my iron shots and I really like how they feel off the putter.  If I am playing a Captain's Choice, I will use the MTB X for a few more yards, more shot shaping with irons, I just have to be aware of spin on the greens.

• Like 3

:ping-small:       Driver:  G410 LST 9 +1 Flat w/Tour AD DI 6X Orange

:taylormade-small:  3 Metal:   M2 13 degree w/Tour AD DJ 7X Orange

:titelist-small:          Hybrid:  818 21 

:mizuno-small:        4-PW:  MP 20  w/Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small:        Wedges:  52-56-60: Mizuno MP R12 w/KB STE 610 Wedge 125 S+

:whitlam-golf-1:    Putter:  Joseph SS303 w/Super Stroke Fatso 5.0

:Snell:  Ball:  MTB Black

:1590477705_SunMountain: C130 S    🇺🇸

6 minutes ago, Gman24 said:

I play Snell MTB Black.  They feel great off the driver, they don't over spin on my iron shots and I really like how they feel off the putter.  If I am playing a Captain's Choice, I will use the MTB X for a few more yards, more shot shaping with irons, I just have to be aware of spin on the greens.

I am right there with you. Love Snell MTB  Black/X. It feels like these balls jump off the driver/irons. Can’t beat the price ordering in bulk either if you go in with a couple buddies. 

• Like 1

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver

:adams-small: GT Tight Lies 3 & 5 wood

:taylormade-small: SLDR AW - 4 iron S flex

:cleveland-small: Rotex 2.0 RTX 588 56°

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 08M 60°

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

Can't beat the price for performance.  I usually save all my number 3 balls and give them to other people randomly to help support spreading the word for Snell.  

• Like 1

:ping-small:       Driver:  G410 LST 9 +1 Flat w/Tour AD DI 6X Orange

:taylormade-small:  3 Metal:   M2 13 degree w/Tour AD DJ 7X Orange

:titelist-small:          Hybrid:  818 21 

:mizuno-small:        4-PW:  MP 20  w/Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small:        Wedges:  52-56-60: Mizuno MP R12 w/KB STE 610 Wedge 125 S+

:whitlam-golf-1:    Putter:  Joseph SS303 w/Super Stroke Fatso 5.0

:Snell:  Ball:  MTB Black

:1590477705_SunMountain: C130 S    🇺🇸

Snell is a great ball for the price.  No problem continuing to play them.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver | Ping G410 3 & 5 fairway woods | Titleist 818 H1 4 & 5 hybrids | Titleist 718 AP1 irons | Titleist SM6 52 F & 56M wedges | Rife Mid Mallet 400 putter | Bushnell NEO Ghost GPS | Snell MTB-X yellow / Srixon Q Star Tour yellow ball | GHIN hcp floats between 10 & 14

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

I have played both and find they perform very similar for me.  (MTBx and Maxfli Tour)  At full price it would be Snell they are a better value.  However, Dicks has been discounting the Maxfli balls.  Currently they are buy 1 get one free so they are under $20 a dozen.  Don't see how you could get a better ball for the money.  There have been other promos at 2 for $40 and 2 for $50.  

• Like 1

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I was playing the Snell MTB -X ball and really liked it, when MGS sent out the email about the Mafli tour x ball was on sale at Dicks awhile back I decided to try them and some odd reason I feel like I can control the Maxfli ball little bit better then the snell ..I feel like the snell was longer but I just felt like I couldn't control it.... might just be me though.

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway Wood 5  :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:ping-small:  4 G Crossover

:cobra-small: F8 Single Length Irons 5-GW OBAN CT-100 shafts 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:Arccos: All clubs use Arccos 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

But truthfully I dont think you could go wrong with either.. 

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway Wood 5  :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:ping-small:  4 G Crossover

:cobra-small: F8 Single Length Irons 5-GW OBAN CT-100 shafts 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:Arccos: All clubs use Arccos 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

I have played both. Both preformed well for me shot 2 of my best rounds with Snell but Maxfli has been very consistent. Honestly they are two very good golf balls so whatever is on sale is what I’m using.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero (8.5* HZRDUS Smoke Shaft)

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies 2 (15*) 

5-Wood:  :adams-small: Tight Lies 2 (19*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 5-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR or a :srixon-small: Z-Star

Currently deciding between :Arccos:  and the :ShotScope:  V3

I have been playing snell for 2 years now and absolutely love them, I also have played vice pro plus this winter in Arizona. I used the same ball for 3 rounds and performance never dropped. Although once I brought it up, I shanked the ball into a pond.  So my advice would be snell or vice, and don't get cocky!

• Haha 2

On 5/9/2020 at 10:14 AM, Erik-M said:

I have been playing snell for 2 years now and absolutely love them, I also have played vice pro plus this winter in Arizona. I used the same ball for 3 rounds and performance never dropped. Although once I brought it up, I shanked the ball into a pond.  So my advice would be snell or vice, and don't get cocky!

Love Snell so far, going to try Vice soon and then stick with whatever ball I pick for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1