TESTERS WANTED! ×

Monte Scheinblum clinic - AKA On the road with KennyB.

cksurfdude

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Hey all - will post a fuller write-up / description after I get back home, but finished up Day 2 of my Monte clinic in NJ; on course playing lesson is tomorrow morning.

Briefly: it is WAAAAY worth it, and I highly recommend it to anyone .. of any playing ability .. if you're even remotely considering it!

FYI - there are two married couples here, one older (maybe 60s), one younger (maybe around 30ish) - and the ladies are loving it and getting a lot out of it! (So it's not just macho guys smashing long balls endlessly)

Despite the 3 .. yes, THREE .. hour drive thru stop & go traffic that should've been 1 1/2 hours on a normal day to get here (but hey _this_ is the new normal in the NY Metro area...) .. and the resulting tight, sore back .. I'm really glad I came.

Monte is also a fun entertainer with all kinds of fascinating .. and hilarious! .. stories of some of his past (mis-) adventures, but bottom line he is genuinely, truly concerned with making sure each person gets some solid piece of improvement to go home with to work on 👍

Told you!!  Martha loves Monte, and he has helped her gain a lot of distance. She was killing it this weekend.  

Glad you are having a great time.  You will love the on-course lessons... best part of the clinic.  Ask Monte to show you the putter shot out of the rough.  Amazing!  I've used it a few times when I was close to the green in thick rough with the green sloping away.  Takes a little practice but a very handy shot that gets closer to the hole than using a LW.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

22 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Ask Monte to show you the putter shot out of the rough.

Will try to remember that, thx!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• cksurfdude changed the title to Monte Scheinblum clinic - AKA On the road with KennyB.
  • 1 year later...

Refreshing this topic @cksurfdude and @Kenny B as I am looking at going to one of Monte's clinics this coming year (2023). Just a few general questions like how long were the days (start time and end time) and what portion would you say your were hitting balls or "doing" vs watching/listening? 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

10 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Refreshing this topic @cksurfdude and @Kenny B as I am looking at going to one of Monte's clinics this coming year (2023). Just a few general questions like how long were the days (start time and end time) and what portion would you say your were hitting balls or "doing" vs watching/listening? 

Hey so he does have some info on his website outlining the *general* clinic schedule and format, but of course it can vary depending on location and facilities, and the particular group and their needs. But in general...

Saturday = usually 9a - 4 or 5p with a lunch break
- starts out with one person in the group hitting and the others watching and trying to pick out what they think is the main underlying swing flaw .. the premise being that Monte looks for the "one thing" that he sees that's holding you back or needs to change or whatever
- when that's done each person has their individual drill that you'll be working on at the range
- after lunch usually short game; chipping, bunker play, putting and follows the same format .. he'll demonstrate then one person at a time goes while the rest of the group watches and comments

Sunday = usually 9a - like 3p with a lunch break
- after some warmup he puts one person at a time, while the rest of the group is hitting balls, on a pressure mat that displays your weight shift during the swing; then attaches a wrist sensor that shows wrist positions during the swing .. eg. for me he picked out the top of the backswing to focus on
- after lunch often just free range time where he'll walk up and down the line answering questions; you're free to keep hitting or to watch and listen as he coaches someone else

Monday = on-course play usually early if he can book it then done by around Noon-1pm
- well worth it imho! Monte plays front 9 with one group then switches and plays back 9 with other group
- typically each person tees off then you scramble from his drive (yes waaaaaay da f*** up there!!) - the goal being to focus on different methods of approach shots from different situations, and from different lies near to the green

So overall it's a good mix of receiving instruction + beating balls. 

fyi... I've been to two .. so far .. and am contemplating another this coming season.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

4 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

fyi... I've been to two .. so far .. and am contemplating another this coming season

I have always wanted to do a clinic type deal and I have been using Monte's NTC videos for the past 4 months with some success but I am sure that having up close time with him will really help. I buy into his methods and I am sure there are aspects I am not internalizing correctly. I am looking at Chicago or Detroit due to direct flights from Nashville and timing. The atlanta one is the closest but it simply will not work with my 2023 schedule. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

6 minutes ago, vandyland said:

I have always wanted to do a clinic type deal and I have been using Monte's NTC videos for the past 4 months with some success but I am sure that having up close time with him will really help. I buy into his methods and I am sure there are aspects I am not internalizing correctly. I am looking at Chicago or Detroit due to direct flights from Nashville and timing. The atlanta one is the closest but it simply will not work with my 2023 schedule. 

Oh as an aside should also have mentioned... Monte can, to some, come off as a bit let's say gruff but it's just him / his demeanor .. nothing meant by it. Just so you know!

I'm in NY so have been to NJ clinics twice, but for '23 that location date is right after the MGS NC trip so not sure if I could schedule that .. so kinda toying with the idea of Seattle in early August ... if @Kenny B and Martha can make it..?

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, vandyland said:

Having Monte's videos is a plus.  I thought I was doing things correctly, but I was wrong!!  Actually not bad, but my swing issue is not enough rotation in the backswing.  He said that at the first clinic and the last clinic, but I am better than I was in 2019.  I improved my bunker play strictly from his UTB 2 video.  This year when I was hitting my bunker shot if front of everyone else, Monte said "Do it like that"!  easy peasy

Chuck summed up Monte's clinics pretty well.  As he says, it does vary from group to group depending on the group's skill level.  Watching each person make a few swings and interacting with Monte on the first day is rather interesting.  I was leery at first, maybe a little self-conscience but it's a different way to learn about the swing.  

I've been to 3 clinics; two in Seattle and one in Irvine, CA.  The Seattle clinic had some pretty good players, and then there was my wife and I. 😆  It was held in August at a driving range; we used grass teeing area.  There was no bunker and putting green was not the best.  Monte brought in his own sand from Lowes and made an area to hit sand shots.  He did this again last August.  He doesn't spend a lot of time on putting/short game instruction.  He will highlight each person's issue but there is no time to work on that at the clinic.

The Irvine clinic was at a local course, but the hitting area was a covered driving range, so hitting off mats.  We did have a nice green and bunker though.  There were only 5 of us that stayed for the 3rd day on the course, so Monte "played" the front nine with 3 guys and the back nine with my wife and I.  It's not a usual on-course lesson.  He does make comments about our full swing that we worked on the past 2 days, but it's more about hitting shots from different positions on the course and it's not always from his ball.

At the Seattle clinic last August there were only 3 of our group that stayed, so we played as a 4-some.  We would have made all 18 holes but even with instruction and multiple shots, we still had to wait on groups in front of us.  We only completed 15 holes before Monte and one guy had to leave.  I could have stayed and finished, but I had a 4 hour drive home so I left too.

So, I guess the clinic varies depending on the facilities and number of attendees.  He likes to keep the group small, but if someone wants to come at the last minute, he will take the money!!  It seems like I learn something every time I see him; wish I lived closer.

Monte has a great sense of humor, but I can see where he can rub people the wrong way.  When I signed up for the Seattle clinic this year, I told him Martha couldn't make it this time.  He said "OK, but I'd rather have her."  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

The Seattle clinic had some pretty good players, and then there was my wife and I. 😆  It was held in August at a driving range; we used grass teeing area.  There was no bunker and putting green was not the best.

Oh yeah .. forgot you'd mentioned that to me previously about Seattle.... Soooo maybe Chicago..??

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

1 minute ago, cksurfdude said:

Oh yeah .. forgot you'd mentioned that to me previously about Seattle.... Soooo maybe Chicago..??

At my first clinic I thought Monte could do better, but it might be tough to horn in on a golf course's pro giving a 3-day lessons.  

Actually, the golf center is good for full swing work and for the time that Monte spends on SG/putting, it does work.  It wouldn't if you wanted more practice time on the green or in a bunker.  However, I think most people see Monte for full swing work.  The Snohomish GC was fine for the on-course work; just slow play... strange for a Monday.  

The Chicago spot (Boone Creek) seems to have a standard practice area (open air tees, large putting green, short game area). The range goes out to 305 yds so long enough for me but maybe Monte can only hit his 4 iron,  haha.

image.png.6abd9801fa181a3179a3a77e2e578c59.png

The only downside is Boone Creek is about an 1 hr from Chicago so I am looking at either a steep uber both ways or renting a car. Maybe I can carpool with another attendee if there is anyone from here or GolfWRX going. Even still, it is less expensive than buying new irons and probably way more helpful for my game. 

6 hours ago, vandyland said:

Even still, it is less expensive than buying new irons and probably way more helpful for my game. 

Hah! But yes for what you get from a Monte clinic it's a very good deal!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

5 hours ago, vandyland said:

The Chicago spot (Boone Creek) seems to have a standard practice area (open air tees, large putting green, short game area). The range goes out to 305 yds so long enough for me but maybe Monte can only hit his 4 iron,  haha.

image.png.6abd9801fa181a3179a3a77e2e578c59.png

The only downside is Boone Creek is about an 1 hr from Chicago so I am looking at either a steep uber both ways or renting a car. Maybe I can carpool with another attendee if there is anyone from here or GolfWRX going. Even still, it is less expensive than buying new irons and probably way more helpful for my game. 

Have fun at Monte's clinic!!  I think you will enjoy it if you go into it with an open mind.  Monte doesn't teach to a model, and he is very, very good at picking out the major issue in everyone's swing.  He can show you different drills to address an issue if the original drill doesn't work for you.  Sometimes one way makes more sense than another way.  If you are not "feeling it", talk to him.  He will usually only give you one thing to work on until you master it.  If you can do that before the clinic ends, he will address the next issue.  

Rental cars are getting very expensive!!  I just made my reservation for my car in Phoenix in January and the cost is double what it was last time!!  I doubt that prices are going to change anytime soon.