TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Practice and Stat Tracker Idea

Ultimate Junior Golfer

The other day, I was looking for a service that allowed me to track my data, input my practice sessions, and calculate where I needed to improve most. I was not able to find a service that offered everything I wanted. I am a web developer, so I decided it would be a good idea to make one. I have done the research, and have decided that this idea is totally attainable. I am asking if YOU think this is a good idea and would you use it. Comments are welcomed below, but I am asking that you fill out the form at this link: https://renderresults.com/ultimategolftracker By filling out this form, you will be entered to be a BETA tester once the site enters that stage.

Projected Features of this Service Include:

• Track Your Rounds
  • Track Your Practice
  • Compare Data Over Time
  • Use AI to Tell You Where Your Game Needs Most Work
  • Show Strokes Gained
  • Much More

NOTE: This project will not be completed soon, I expect 6-8 months before it is available for testing.

NOTE: This IS NOT an advertisement in ANY way. I am just asking fellow golfers if they like my idea.

If you have any questions, leave them below, or contact me here: https://renderresults.com/contact

Thanks!

Edited by Ultimate Junior Golfer
Misspelled URL

:ping-small: G430 LST 10.5* (Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X)

:ping-small: G430 MAX 14* (Fujikura Ventus TR Black 7X)

:ping-small: iCrossover 17* (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 80X)

:ping-small: i230 4-PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold X100)

:titelist-small: SM8 50* F Grind; 8* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:titelist-small: SM8 54* F Grind; 10* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:titelist-small: SM8 58* M Grind; 8* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:ping-small: PLD Anser 2

:taylormade-small: TP5X

"Practice like you've never won. Play like you've never lost."

Hate to be a dream crusher but.... there is already much stuff out on the market like you're describing. Have you looked? In one form or another. I'm not a customer for any of it. I tried a system a couple of years ago and learned it's not for me. I've been playing golf for over 50 years. Yes... I'm old. I use a lot of technology in my personal life and business that fits my needs. Golf stat tracking isn't one of them. I'm a low single digit player. But that doesn't mean I couldn't use improvement. We are always looking to improve our game. Right? There are a lot of guys in this forum that either use stat tracking technology or have a strong opinion about it. IMO you're trying to crack into a market that's already been cracked. And for those reasons - I'm out.

Best wishes

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

18 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

Hate to be a dream crusher but.... there is already much stuff out on the market like you're describing. Have you looked? In one form or another. I'm not a customer for any of it. I tried a system a couple of years ago and learned it's not for me. I've been playing golf for over 50 years. Yes... I'm old. I use a lot of technology in my personal life and business that fits my needs. Golf stat tracking isn't one of them. I'm a low single digit player. But that doesn't mean I couldn't use improvement. We are always looking to improve our game. Right? There are a lot of guys in this forum that either use stat tracking technology or have a strong opinion about it. IMO you're trying to crack into a market that's already been cracked. And for those reasons - I'm out.

Best wishes

I agree that the market has already been created, but do any of them actually take into account your practice performance, playing performance, and time available to play? I agree with you that stats are not necessary. I am a 3 handicap myself and have just started using stats, but I am a numbers geek so.... You could argue that Arcoss has done this, but one thing I wish to improve upon Arcoss is affordability. Arcoss is $249, I hope to make my system sub $100. Anyway, thank you for taking the time to look at my idea and giving your opinion!

Edited by Ultimate Junior Golfer
typo

1 minute ago, jlukes said:

What exactly would this service/app do that a spreadsheet and graphs in Microsoft Excel couldn't output? 

Great Question. I currently use Excel sheets. What that lacks is a few things.

1. Ease of use. In Excel, you have to go through and input every single stat, and you have to go through and try and find exactly where you need to improve versus having an easy-to-use graphical interface that tells how many strokes you are losing and gaining in each part of your game (Strokes Gained).

2. AI. Callaway has told you already, artificial intelligence is better and easier. It can compare your stats to other stats of people with your skill and your goals. It can take the amount of time you have to practice, and recommend how long you practice each thing for optimal performance. 

3. It can help you identify swing issues. For instance, if it detects you are missing shots left, it may ask you if it is starting left or curving left. From this it can recommend articles or YouTube videos to help you with this. This is a great function for beginners. 

4. I am going to restate the first difference, ease of use. With my very very early stages of this project I can input my stats 70% faster.

Thank you for taking the time to ask a question!

I work for a software company (Red Hat), so I'm not going to discourage anyone from having a dream of a new product and trying to follow through with it.  That said, I'm a dedicated Arccos user.  Before that I:

1. Created my own stat app using Airtable and Lou Riccio's greens in regulation formula
  2. Used GolfShot GPS, both on my phone and on a Pebble smartwatch (manually marking each shot)
  3. Used a Strokes Gained spreadsheet populated with data I gathered in Airtable and then pasted in

I have to be honest - it would take quite a bit to get me to enter shot by shot data again.  Is that what you're proposing, or will you have some sort of automated tracking?  I'd need to know how your mousetrap is better.  Arccos is definitely expensive, but it's very easy.  ShotScope is easy too, and less expensive.  That said, there's definitely room to be better than both of them.  Addressing your points above:

5 hours ago, Ultimate Junior Golfer said:

1. Ease of use. In Excel, you have to go through and input every single stat, and you have to go through and try and find exactly where you need to improve versus having an easy-to-use graphical interface that tells how many strokes you are losing and gaining in each part of your game (Strokes Gained).

Let us know how you're going to do this.  Give us the details.

2. AI. Callaway has told you already, artificial intelligence is better and easier. It can compare your stats to other stats of people with your skill and your goals. It can take the amount of time you have to practice, and recommend how long you practice each thing for optimal performance. 

OK, sounds good.  But you don't need AI for Strokes Gained.  It's a database table and some basic math.  Are you going over and above SG with AI?  Tell us more.

3. It can help you identify swing issues. For instance, if it detects you are missing shots left, it may ask you if it is starting left or curving left. From this it can recommend articles or YouTube videos to help you with this. This is a great function for beginners.

Pretty cool idea.  You should link up with someone like Adam Young for really good instructional content.

4. I am going to restate the first difference, ease of use. With my very very early stages of this project I can input my stats 70% faster.

OK.  Tell us how.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

For stats on the course, automatic tracking like Arccos or ShotScope are probably easier.

However, they don't track practice sessions. 

So if I understand correctly, your product is a GUI that caters to:

a) those who can't handle Excel

b) those who are too lazy to it

c) those who require practice stats, but already use Arccos/SS/Golfshot on the course

Correct?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

10 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I work for a software company (Red Hat), so I'm not going to discourage anyone from having a dream of a new product and trying to follow through with it.  That said, I'm a dedicated Arccos user.  Before that I:

1. Created my own stat app using Airtable and Lou Riccio's greens in regulation formula
  2. Used GolfShot GPS, both on my phone and on a Pebble smartwatch (manually marking each shot)
  3. Used a Strokes Gained spreadsheet populated with data I gathered in Airtable and then pasted in

I have to be honest - it would take quite a bit to get me to enter shot by shot data again.  Is that what you're proposing, or will you have some sort of automated tracking?  I'd need to know how your mousetrap is better.  Arccos is definitely expensive, but it's very easy.  ShotScope is easy too, and less expensive.  That said, there's definitely room to be better than both of them.  Addressing your points above:

Let us know how you're going to do this.  Give us the details.

OK, sounds good.  But you don't need AI for Strokes Gained.  It's a database table and some basic math.  Are you going over and above SG with AI?  Tell us more.

Pretty cool idea.  You should link up with someone like Adam Young for really good instructional content.

OK.  Tell us how.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a good response! I plan to allow you to input your Arcoss/ShotScope/GameGolf data into the system, or for faster input, I am working on being able to use text OCR to scan in you stats. It has been very promising so far. 

SG + AI; this is what the system uses to determine where how long suggested practice is for each area.

The swing fault/fix idea I have had for a while. I think it is a pretty cool idea, especially for beginners. This will use some of the AI also.

2 hours ago, Kanoito said:

For stats on the course, automatic tracking like Arccos or ShotScope are probably easier.

However, they don't track practice sessions. 

So if I understand correctly, your product is a GUI that caters to:

a) those who can't handle Excel

b) those who are too lazy to it

c) those who require practice stats, but already use Arccos/SS/Golfshot on the course

Correct?

Yes and no. 

a) Yes, but it is also faster, (see above comment).

b) Again, yes and no. It will help it be faster. You do not have to be lazy to want easier.

c) Yes, you will be able to input those stats. Or you can keep some simple stats on your scorecard, and it will be able to scan your scorecard and grab the data it needs, and it will calculate the rest.

Thank you for leaving a comment!

Ok, this is a good idea, however there are plenty of options out there already. Don’t know if you are familiar with DECADE but it pretty much does this already. UI may be different and the implementation of AI is intriguing. I think that if you reached out to Scott Fawcett and discussed some idea with him you could see some of what he is doing and how you could change or enhance. He is very easy to talk to and interact with. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

4 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Ok, this is a good idea, however there are plenty of options out there already. Don’t know if you are familiar with DECADE but it pretty much does this already. UI may be different and the implementation of AI is intriguing. I think that if you reached out to Scott Fawcett and discussed some idea with him you could see some of what he is doing and how you could change or enhance. He is very easy to talk to and interact with. 

Similar, but there are many things different:

a) It is not a very modern design

b) the text OCR input is not there

c) no Ai

d) it is VERY expensive

Thank you for your comment!

If you could:

• Use automatically tracked data from Arccos/ShotScope
  • Close the gap between what Arccos/ShotScope provide and what Decade/Anova provide
  • For $100

Then I'm in. 

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

1 minute ago, HardcoreLooper said:

If you could:

• Use automatically tracked data from Arccos/ShotScope
  • Close the gap between what Arccos/ShotScope provide and what Decade/Anova provide
  • For $100

Then I'm in. 

This is what I'm hoping for...maybe even a little more!