Shankster

Union Green?

10 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

This is interesting. Obviously, they're trying to reach a different demographic than the normal Titleist player. However, there are so many choices out there now including Vice, Snell and the very popular Kirkland Signature. I'm old enough to remember when Titleist, Maxifli  and Top Flight were  the leading brands. Ping actually had a ball and I played a Hogan ball at The Old Course in the late 90s. We'll see if Union Green is successful. My guess is they have data that tells them it will.

Even if they've taking a flyer on this, it sounds like they're not investing much capital in it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Even if they've taking a flyer on this, it sounds like they're not investing much capital in it. 

It's all about market share so anything they can do to bump up under served markets (by them) will add to revenue/profits while utilizing existing manufacturing capacity. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

It's all about market share so anything they can do to bump up under served markets (by them) will add to revenue/profits while utilizing existing manufacturing capacity. 

Exactly.  Especially if they have some excess capacity on that production line they're using.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

12 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Makes sense as long as they’re not cannabalizing Titleist or Pinnacle sales, as they well know. Total demand won’t change, so I wonder who they expect the Union Green balls to take market share from? 

I don’t see how it could be DTC brands if the target demo is non-golfers or much less serious players ***. Those folks seem like the last ones who’d buy balls online, they’d buy at a big box store or their local muni course. If they’re going to bother to buy online, they can buy ANY ball made. I’ll have to watch how this plays out, I don’t understand lifestyle marketing, until it’s established.

*** Union Green is for people who play golf but don’t necessarily consider themselves golfers. It’s a group that enjoys the game, sometimes plays by the rules, sometimes not so much. Twosome, foursome, sixsome, it’s all good so long as everyone is having a good time. It’s a group without any loyalty to a particular brand. They may not even have a brand preference. We’re talking about a not-golfer for whom the undisputed #1 ball in golf is whatever I find.

• Like 2

The only part of the Union Green sales pitch that I dont understand is that's it's an attempt st a ball for those who dont have a brand preference or brand loyalty.  They seem to be targeting those who go into the clubhouse, pay for 9/18 holes and just grab the first box of golf balls they see.  I don't get how they think they are going to generate loyal customers a brand when the customers already aren't loyal to anyone.

• Like 1

From the UG website - I wonder what “nonsense” includes? Titleist?

Golf Balls for All

Union Green golf balls are high performance and high quality with absolutely no nonsense. Check out Pindrop and Teebird and make the Union a part of your next round.”

1 minute ago, Middler said:

From the UG website - I wonder what “nonsense” includes? Titleist?

Golf Balls for All

Union Green golf balls are high performance and high quality with absolutely no nonsense. Check out Pindrop and Teebird and make the Union a part of your next round.”

yeah...not sure who approved this but they could've done better.

"Union Green: it's just a golf ball - nothing more, nothing less"

maybe the 'nonsense' is the super plastimer olyastic cover with 6 layers of proprietary phenomesh internal layering ?

2 pages of posts from mostly golfers who aren’t going to buy this. Seems like it’s already generating buzz

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

2 pages of posts from mostly golfers who aren’t going to buy this. Seems like it’s already generating buzz

Blast, the golf marketers tricked us again!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Blast, the golf marketers tricked us again!

Someone might think those marketing types  know what they are doing.

• Like 2

a few months back i am playing in a golf outing and a vendor was set up on the tee box to a 210 yrd par 3.  We paid $5 for a contest which included 2 of these balls. We had to use these balls and if we hit the green, we would get a coupon for a dozen. 

Typically I play Prov1, TP5, or BXS....all the good quality balls......so I usually would hit my 19 degree hybrid on a hole like this.

I teed up this ball and I was 30 yards short with both shots......

just for goofs i teed up my TP5 afterwards and sure enough i was just about pin high on the fringe of the green......

two of my playing partners also experienced the same thing. This ball was horrible....do not waste a dime on these......

• Like 2

^careful. 

There was a negative review about linksoul in another thread and the OP/reviewer was blasted by guys on here 🙂

I appreciate the feedback though, can you tell us more. How did it feel? Was it spinny? Etc.

On 2/11/2020 at 12:20 PM, Hoganman1 said:

This is interesting. Obviously, they're trying to reach a different demographic than the normal Titleist player. However, there are so many choices out there now including Vice, Snell and the very popular Kirkland Signature. I'm old enough to remember when Titleist, Maxifli  and Top Flight were  the leading brands. Ping actually had a ball and I played a Hogan ball at The Old Course in the late 90s. We'll see if Union Green is successful. My guess is they have data that tells them it will.

I think it is a good move for Titleist as an organization.  Direct to consumer is the only market sector they have zero share in while they are the leader in the other two categories - OEM and refurbished ball sales.  Never knew Ping had a ball, very interesting! Definitely agree that Titleist must have some pretty viable data that that shows this has a fairly high potential for success.  I'm just not sure where that data would come from.  With all of the other direct to consumer companies popping up left and right over the past year or two, it seems like it would be fairly difficult to quantify a sales forecast for a market share that is "new" and that they have not been a part of. 

The obvious 3 factors that will determine the success of Union Green are price point, performance and curb appeal.  In my opinion, I think curb appeal could be the most important factor in this case having seen what Vice was able to do in such a short period of time.  I'll definitely be giving them a shot, why not at this price?

Should be interesting to see how this all shakes out! 

I think it's pretty ridiculous. Just another cheap ball for the masses to lose. Their targeted market couldn't care less. They willl buy the cheapest bat ball they can for all the more they play. Theyseem to be banking on "the targeted market" to WANT to be recognized as a golfer.... sort of.... a "black sheep", if you will. Not gonna happen.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, xxio said:

^careful. 

There was a negative review about linksoul in another thread and the OP/reviewer was blasted by guys on here 🙂

I appreciate the feedback though, can you tell us more. How did it feel? Was it spinny? Etc.

I think MGS is known for open and honest reviews, so I am not worried about that. Its not hate at a brand or anything like that.......I literally hit 2 shots with them and was mystified how a ball could be so short indirect comparison with a "premium: brand.  Its not really a review because it was only 2 shots, but it was enough for all of us to joke about them and then hit them into the woods. It was like a happy gilmore moment when we all said the ball felt like it was made of wood and it needed to go back to his home in the woods....like Happy Gilmores rake incident. 

i was not on a launch monitor or anything but the ball ballooned and fell way short on ALL of our shots.....like I said, i hit my hybrid 210-215 and this ball on 2 consecutive shots landed about 180-185...well short of the green for all of us.....we all hit our "regular" balls afterwards and 2 of us were pin high...mine was still 30 feet away but the distance was noticeably different and the feel was 100% different with the TP5.

so, its not hate or a real review....its just amateur feedback.....id 100% buy the Maxfli tour from dicks or a few $'s more and get srixon....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, xxio said:

^careful. 

That person created an account to come in a bash a company with a partial story of events. He was upset he couldn’t post a negative review on their site so by going to a golf forum where he knows that by making that post it will get comments thus increasing the likelihood that if a person googles the brand the link to mgs comes up and the first post is a negative review. its not a common thing but happens periodically on other forums as well. The person had several weeks where he could have joined Mgs, provided details about the ongoing situation, asked if anyone had similar experience but he chose the path of waiting til it’s over and not to his liking to then create and bash. Has he participate in any other threads since that review?

The target market is for those who play occasionally and don’t care what ball they use......at my club in Florida, the ball of choice for those who just need some balls is the Wilson Chaos ball, sold 2 dozen for $20 or 2 two dozens boxes for $30. They are, by far, the biggest selling ball.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

The target market is for those who play occasionally and don’t care what ball they use......at my club in Florida, the ball of choice for those who just need some balls is the Wilson Chaos ball, sold 2 dozen for $20 or 2 two dozens boxes for $30. They are, by far, the biggest selling ball.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Exactly. The Nike mojo was the same way. I still find those around the courses

• Like 1

Someone might think those marketing types  know what they are doing.

As a prior marketing major... yep, they have a great marketing team. All of their photos are “made for social media”.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

As a prior marketing major... yep, they have a great marketing team. All of their photos are “made for social media”.

As a marketing manager, I agree.

• Like 1