TESTERS WANTED! ×

driver length

She chokes down on all her clubs and did that with her previous driver shaft when it played at 45”

Like the extreme counterbalance feel? Or is that for controlled shots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

16 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

From what I remember with the irons it was due to weight. Her dad and sister are both good golfers so she played a lot with their clubs. She had to find a way to swing them. When she was younger she played with standard “men’s” clubs. Her would use max legal length clubs in scrambles and Brooke would swing them too. So it’s pretty much a comfort thing. 

Lydia Ko chokes down on all clubs too

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

23 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

... RB touched on it as she started playing normal length clubs as a kid and got so used to choking down she felt uncomfortable holding it on the end of the grip. She tried to grip the end for awhile when she went Pro but pretty quickly went back to how she had played so successfully her entire life. She effectively plays a 45" driver. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... RB touched on it as she started playing normal length clubs as a kid and got so used to choking down she felt uncomfortable holding it on the end of the grip. She tried to grip the end for awhile when she went Pro but pretty quickly went back to how she had played so successfully her entire life. She effectively plays a 45" driver. 

And added 10 yards on normal drives and 15 on ones where she gets it real good

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Swing fast not hard. 
How does one do that.....exactly?

SuperSpeed training has shown me that they are indeed different.

If I try to swing as *hard* as I can, I’m significantly slower than if I stay loose and swing as fast as I can.

I need to be smooth at the top and let the speed build. For me swinging hard results in yanking the club from the top and getting out of position.

Only way I would have known is with a club head speed measuring device to prove it to me.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

25 minutes ago, silver & black said:

Okay...... how does one swing fast without trying to swing hard? I'm listening.

Proper sequencing. Followed by training to be faster. they have several videos on speed 

Proper sequencing. Followed by training to be faster. they have several videos on speed 

Balance is your best friend in a golf swing. Nice video.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I've always heard that the fastest part of your swing is the last 2-3 feet.... helps you whip through the ball.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

The issue I’ve had at Club Champion is that they don’t have varying lengths in the same shaft, or enough to really test to find the right length, and the company reps that do demo days CERTAINLY don’t either. Finding the right length with irons and wedges is a lot easier. It’s great to talk about “get fitted”, but the reality is we don’t have the options pros do to find that perfect length. Maybe at the Kingdom, or Callaway Performance Center, etc have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

The issue I’ve had at Club Champion is that they don’t have varying lengths in the same shaft, or enough to really test to find the right length, and the company reps that do demo days CERTAINLY don’t either. Finding the right length with irons and wedges is a lot easier. It’s great to talk about “get fitted”, but the reality is we don’t have the options pros do to find that perfect length. Maybe at the Kingdom, or Callaway Performance Center, etc have them.

That’s so true, when I got fit for mine at 44.5 we used tape to make sure I wasn’t gripping too high up. It’s certainly not perfect, and doesn’t help if you’re one of those people that actually needs more length, but it was better than nothing.

Don’t forget MASS in the whole equation! The weight of the driver head has a distinct effect on distance, direction, etc. Watch TXG’s latest video on the Epic Flash vs Mavrik where they comment on this.
I’m a FIRM believer in the physics equation where force=mass x acceleration
If one can swing a slightly heavier head at the same speed, the greater mass will result in greater force upon the ball! This is NEVER talked about in golf, only speed. Yeah, I know, at a certain point the added weight slows down the speed of the swing... Point is, maximize the weight to the point where the speed is maxed as well.

Don’t forget MASS in the whole equation! The weight of the driver head has a distinct effect on distance, direction, etc. Watch TXG’s latest video on the Epic Flash vs Mavrik where they comment on this.
If one can swing a slightly heavier head at the same speed, the greater mass will result in greater force upon the ball! This is NEVER talked about in golf, only speed. Yeah, I know, at a certain point the added weight slows down the speed of the swing... Point is, maximize the weight to the point where the speed is maxed as well.

Yup! We added a heavier weight to my G30 too! At 44.5 you almost need to with the swing weight.

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

THIS has been my biggest question! I'm in agreement. If I can swing a 43 inch driver faster than a 45 inch driver (with proper loading of the shaft guys.) and both being the exact same weight. Shouldn't there be an increase in distance? Tests coming today!

Driver: :cobra-small:F9 w/Hzrdous smoke black

3wood: :callaway-small: Epic 13.5* w/ smoke blue

4wood: :callaway-small: Xr 17*  

3Hybrid: :callaway-small: Xr 19*

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex 16 (4 - A)

wedges::vokey-small: SM7 52,54

Putter: :cameron-small: fastback,  SWAG Savage Too

@rogerfloresart on instagram

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

Buy a couple cheap used drivers and have them cut down.  Or, buy some knock-offs from a place like GigaGolf.  They may not provide max performance, but would at least give you a sense of what hitting a shorter driver is like.

You can also try swapping your driver shaft with your 3 wood shaft.  3 wood length is obviously shorter than driver and that might give you a good indication of what it feels like.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

You can also try swapping your driver shaft with your 3 wood shaft.  3 wood length is obviously shorter than driver and that might give you a good indication of what it feels like.

Two potential issues with this. 1) fairway shafts tend to be heavier than driver shaft 2) not all brands have adapters that fit both fairway and driver heads. 

Edit: another is fairway shafts tend to be tipped more than a driver shaft to account for the shorter shaft and headweight of the fw. 

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

... That is a great way to find out of the length helps you make better contact and if you can get comfortable swinging a shorter shaft. That said, just keep in mind a 3 wood shaft is usually heavier and has been tipped so it will be stiffer than your driver shaft. That can effect ball flight so it may not give you the results you would like but certainly can give you an idea of what it is like swinging a shorter shafted driver. 

... Edit: LOL, you beat me to it RB! 😜

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Two potential issues with this. 1) fairway shafts tend to be heavier than driver shaft 2) not all brands have adapters that fit both fairway and driver heads. 

the point in the exercise is to get a feel for what a shorter shaft feels like when using a driver w/o cutting the driver shaft.

of course you would need a compatible tip.

you can use foot spray to spray the head and see where your ball mark is.  if it's centered more consistently maybe a shorter driver shaft would be a good move.  if it is not then obviously that's not a good solution.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

22 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

the point in the exercise is to get a feel for what a shorter shaft feels like when using a driver w/o cutting the driver shaft.

of course you would need a compatible tip.

you can use foot spray to spray the head and see where your ball mark is.  if it's centered more consistently maybe a shorter driver shaft would be a good move.  if it is not then obviously that's not a good solution.

I understand the concept of the exercise but the wording of your post poses issues. It’s not just that another adapter is needed but that the weight and the tipping of the shaft will be different than the driver shaft changing feel and stiffness and potentially affecting the swing and potentially the results. 

10 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I understand the concept of the exercise but the wording of your post poses issues. It’s not just that another adapter is needed but that the weight and the tipping of the shaft will be different than the driver shaft changing feel and stiffness and potentially affecting the swing and potentially the results. 

you're not testing the shaft....you're testing the length.

it was merely a suggestion.... do it if you want, don't do it if you don't want to.  It wasn't a debate on can you put your 3 wood shaft in your driver and expect anything different.  It's a 3 wood shaft - of course it will be different.

🤦‍♂️

I think I'm pretty much done here....

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

you're not testing the shaft....you're testing the length.

it was merely a suggestion.... do it if you want, don't do it if you don't want to.  It wasn't a debate on can you put your 3 wood shaft in your driver and expect anything different.  It's a 3 wood shaft - of course it will be different.

🤦‍♂️

I think I'm pretty much done here....

Unfortunately the suggestion was worded wrong and this the reason both I and @chisag pointed out the flaws with it. 

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Unfortunately the suggestion was worded wrong and this the reason both I and @chisag pointed out the flaws with it. 

... LOL, don't include me in your hall monitor duties! I thought it was a great idea and said so. Like Stroker I think it will give you an idea if a shorter shaft helps you make better contact.  I just added it may not give you the ball flight you normally see. 

Definitely individual dependent. Brooke Henderson at 5’4” plays a 48” driver 

But she really chokes down on that club

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

17 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

But she really chokes down on that club

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

She chokes down on every club and did so when she played a shorter length driver. 

My current setup is a 44.5” driver with a 85 series shaft.  The shaft weight is typically for a fairway but with the shorter length, it lets me keep the static weight similar and only had to add minimal weight back to the head to get the SW back to what I like.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX
Buy a couple cheap used drivers and have them cut down.  Or, buy some knock-offs from a place like GigaGolf.  They may not provide max performance, but would at least give you a sense of what hitting a shorter driver is like.

But I’m not buying the shafts that would “fit” me, and the heads are different as well. Weighting of heads, where the weight is INSIDE the head, etc. Too many variables that ultimately wouldn’t show me if what I would buy would be equal to the results....

I have been using my shortened shaft (45.75 to 44.25)for a few rounds and wanted to report back that it was a great decision. More consistent ball striking and no loss in distance and maybe a bit longer on pure strikes.

As for the weighting, I made no changes. This may not have been necessary since the G400 is a bit head heavy and is often paired with a counterbalanced. shaft and since my shaft isn’t Counterbalanced it just worked out.

Obviously the difficulty is trying the different lengths. Choking down and seeing where I was hitting the face was how I tried to find the right length. I then bought an inexpensive shaft
And cut it down. With no intention of going back to the original length, the worst case was that I need to extend the shaft a bit or add more weight to the head.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 9 months later...

with the CPO sale going, thinking of getting a similar shaft than what i game but 1" shorter. This thread has me thinking this would help me as well as adding some weight to get the force higher on the golf ball.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review