Rflores91

driver length

Our Sponsors

16 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

Swing fast not hard. Lots of good points here and a few that are a bit misleading. This discussion truly illustrates why getting fitted is important.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

So thinking about contrast of swinging a 45.5" 270gram club fast verses swinging a 43" 290gram club fast. How many club fitters will simply give you the data to build the club you need when your chasing something that isn't an exact science? 

1 hour ago, Rflores91 said:

So thinking about contrast of swinging a 45.5" 270gram club fast verses swinging a 43" 290gram club fast. How many club fitters will simply give you the data to build the club you need when your chasing something that isn't an exact science? 

... That's a great question. I know a good 10 years ago there were independent fitters that could do this kind of build, but not sure about the chains that drive most independents out of the business. 

• Like 2

... For those unfamiliar with shorter shafts and heavier heads creating more speed, UST introduced a shaft way ahead of its time called the I.T. for Inertial Transfer System. It sold for over $100 when premium shafts were much cheaper. Fred Couples used this shaft for many years, along with Mark Brooks in his prime along with several others. It was a 100gm shaft but heavily counter balanced, designed to be played at 44" with a D0 swing weight. A Titanium weave in the butt end added more stability. I can't remember the weight of the head but it was quite a bit heavier than normal. The concept was exactly what we are discussing here with a shorter counter balanced shaft that could be swung just as fast while the heavier head produced longer drives and was more accurate as well. I bought several when they discontinued them and still have one left: 

I.T..jpg.164c04c45ad52ece5b14a0a3d10f48bc.jpg

• Like 3

There are fitters around the country that truly pride themselves on maximizing your measurables. Unfortunately it may require one to travel to take advantage of their abilities.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

You could try Britt Lindsey over at Golfworks. He's a very knowledgeable.

http://ralphmaltby.com/forum/

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 2

When I got fit for my G30 we settled in on 44.5 being the best for me.  Contact was much better and I was swinging it just as quickly.  It will vary from person to person, but if you want to give shorter a try you should.  I see no need to go back to standard length.

I think Matt Wolff just went back to a longer length if I'm remembering correctly because it works best with his sequencing.  So it really is unique to each individual swing.

give it a try and let us know what you think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

When I got fit for my G30 we settled in on 44.5 being the best for me.  Contact was much better and I was swinging it just as quickly.  It will vary from person to person, but if you want to give shorter a try you should.  I see no need to go back to standard length.

I think Matt Wolff just went back to a longer length if I'm remembering correctly because it works best with his sequencing.  So it really is unique to each individual swing.

give it a try and let us know what you think.

Definitely individual dependent. Brooke Henderson at 5’4” plays a 48” driver 

• Like 1

Definitely individual dependent. Brooke Henderson at 5’4” plays a 48” driver 

And I’m 5’4... and a half. So that should really show you haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

And I’m 5’4... and a half. So that should really show you haha.

Look how far she chokes down on that 48" shaft....

cropped_GettyImages-838610130.jpg?ts=152

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Look how far she chokes down on that 48" shaft....

cropped_GettyImages-838610130.jpg?ts=152

She chokes down on all her clubs and did that with her previous driver shaft when it played at 45”

• Like 1

She chokes down on all her clubs and did that with her previous driver shaft when it played at 45”

Like the extreme counterbalance feel? Or is that for controlled shots?

16 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

From what I remember with the irons it was due to weight. Her dad and sister are both good golfers so she played a lot with their clubs. She had to find a way to swing them. When she was younger she played with standard “men’s” clubs. Her would use max legal length clubs in scrambles and Brooke would swing them too. So it’s pretty much a comfort thing. 

Lydia Ko chokes down on all clubs too

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

... RB touched on it as she started playing normal length clubs as a kid and got so used to choking down she felt uncomfortable holding it on the end of the grip. She tried to grip the end for awhile when she went Pro but pretty quickly went back to how she had played so successfully her entire life. She effectively plays a 45" driver. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... RB touched on it as she started playing normal length clubs as a kid and got so used to choking down she felt uncomfortable holding it on the end of the grip. She tried to grip the end for awhile when she went Pro but pretty quickly went back to how she had played so successfully her entire life. She effectively plays a 45" driver. 

And added 10 yards on normal drives and 15 on ones where she gets it real good

• Like 1

Swing fast not hard. 
How does one do that.....exactly?

SuperSpeed training has shown me that they are indeed different.

If I try to swing as *hard* as I can, I’m significantly slower than if I stay loose and swing as fast as I can.

I need to be smooth at the top and let the speed build. For me swinging hard results in yanking the club from the top and getting out of position.

Only way I would have known is with a club head speed measuring device to prove it to me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, silver & black said:

How does one do that.....exactly?

Okay...... how does one swing fast without trying to swing hard? I'm listening.

25 minutes ago, silver & black said:

Okay...... how does one swing fast without trying to swing hard? I'm listening.

Proper sequencing. Followed by training to be faster. they have several videos on speed 

• Like 3

Proper sequencing. Followed by training to be faster. they have several videos on speed 

Balance is your best friend in a golf swing. Nice video.
  • Like 1

I've always heard that the fastest part of your swing is the last 2-3 feet.... helps you whip through the ball.

• Like 2