TESTERS WANTED! ×

TM SIM vs Titleist TS

Tsecor

I am ready to move on from my 910 D3 which is a 440cc head.  Has anyone really tested the SIM yet? Its getting unbelievable reviews. If so, anyone test it against the TS series. I am a Titleist fanboi and really trying to expand my stubborn mentality. 

What happened to the 440 heads? everything is 460cc....not sure i like the bigger look......HELLPPP!!!!

Golf is cool

I'm not a big hitter.... I'm closer in age to 50 than 40, 5'9, 185, swing speed right around 100.... hit the ball around 250 on avg.  had a few longish ones go 280 but never touched 300.

I went for a fitting with the SIM this weekend.

I was on an indoor LM.

9 degree head, Ventus blue shaft, stiff.  (don't even ask if it was "made for" or not - I have no clue and don't care)
I hit about 10 drives with that combo... they were good.  really good.

I'd say the SIM is the real deal.  I haven't tried the TM but man that SIM max was really impressive.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

3 hours ago, Tsecor said:

I am ready to move on from my 910 D3 which is a 440cc head.  Has anyone really tested the SIM yet? Its getting unbelievable reviews. If so, anyone test it against the TS series. I am a Titleist fanboi and really trying to expand my stubborn mentality. 

What happened to the 440 heads? everything is 460cc....not sure i like the bigger look......HELLPPP!!!!

I have a TS1 built and designed for moderate or as Tony often cites, that's the OEM code word for slow, swing speed...ha   It is 9.5 based on my TPI fitting and has the Tensei Blue Shaft.   I also have the SIM MAX in 9.5 with the stock Ventus Red Shaft.

I took them both out to a par 5 hole the other day and hit about 20 drives each.  I didn't have any LM with me.  Just hit 5 SIM, 5 TS1 went and retrieved and repeated.  The longes of the bunch was one from the SIM that I hit about as good as I can, and it was 230'ish based on course yardage markers and my stepping it off.   The longest TS1 was about 212.   That said the TS1 had a much more consistent dispersion and the misses with the SIM were much worst than the TS1

I'll definitely be giving both of them more time to get a good comparison.  But I have to tell you the TS1 was in my bag the last 6 months of last year and it will take something special to knock it out. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I was stuck with my callaway Xhot since it was new. Tried so many newer drivers over the past two years. Pretty picky when it comes to the driver. Last year I really tested everything. Came to the TS2 and loved it. Sound, feel, everything. Forgiving and I know when I put one out there right away. I like the simplistic typical titleist look and like I said the sound was the last thing to sell me on it. Great product but have not tested the sim yet so cannot speak to that.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Just now, Tsecor said:

$100 off.....not bad!!! better than a $600 SIM I guess

Yep. I just sold a TS1 to a retired guy at our course for $399 and he was thrilled.   

Litteraly one of the best deals/price on a current model driver out there right now. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

The TS2 seems to be the most "neutral" club where you can just line it up and hit it and expect "forgiveness".  The TS4 is intriguing because I am not a big fan of the 460cc heads......I gotta go check em out.

Golf is cool

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

sorry dude.... something must've been amiss with the fitter.
I mean it looked official and all - at a reputable store - branded, GC Quad, etc.
(not me in the picture with the fitter)
IMG_20200208_140254.jpg

I should have guessed something was up.....
This chart is one I found online and seems fairly accurate.  (source: https://www.miasportstechnology.com/)
link: (https://www.miasportstechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Driver-Speed-to-Distance.pdf)
image.png

He didn't measure my swing speed...it was probably a little higher than 100 - there's no punishment for a missed shot on these things so you can give it all you got.  I might've been around 105, but whatever.... it's not worth arguing over.

the point I was trying to make is that the driver is designed well, felt good, and worked for me. 

that's it.  Nothing more; nothing less.

this was NOT meant to be an exercise or debate on what your swing speed needs to be in order to carry the ball X number of yards and get X distance.

If there are members who wish to debate that fact I strongly encourage them to start a new thread and discuss it there.

Any comments on how the SIM felt in comparison to your M5?  When I got the free fitting at True Spec Golf I ended up with an M5 and CK Pro White as the best combo.  I'm intrigued by the reviews showing increased Spin consistency and stability on the SIM and Mavrik (as I have liked the Rogue as well) as I am not a super high spin player, but locking into a range could be great for fitting.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

2 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Any comments on how the SIM felt in comparison to your M5?  When I got the free fitting at True Spec Golf I ended up with an M5 and CK Pro White as the best combo.  I'm intrigued by the reviews showing increased Spin consistency and stability on the SIM and Mavrik (as I have liked the Rogue as well) as I am not a super high spin player, but locking into a range could be great for fitting.

I want to like the M5, I really really do.... it's a great looking driver has all of the super slick qualities and things you would typically look for.

But the sound and feel just aren't there for me.... maybe it's just me?  I don't know.  But - that sound and feel that I was looking for was there with the SIM max.  
I tried both the MAX and the regular SIM and the MAX was the winner for me.

NOTE: I won the m5 at a tournament; a more fair comparison would probably be the M6 vs max as neither are adjustable via weights and have similar properties.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I gotta go check em out.

Exactly! Go put your hands on everything. Swing as many as you can and keep an open mind. You may surprise yourself.

Report back and let us know how it goes.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

34 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

The TS2 seems to be the most "neutral" club where you can just line it up and hit it and expect "forgiveness".  The TS4 is intriguing because I am not a big fan of the 460cc heads......I gotta go check em out.

Unless you need to knock spin off the ts4 will be a low spin lower launching head similar to the 430/440 heads from TM in previous releases.

due to the forward cg and lower spin the forgiveness will be less as well

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The SIM is beating everything for me this year. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I want to like the M5, I really really do.... it's a great looking driver has all of the super slick qualities and things you would typically look for.

But the sound and feel just aren't there for me.... maybe it's just me?  I don't know.  But - that sound and feel that I was looking for was there with the SIM max.  

NOTE: I won the m5 at a tournament; a more fair comparison would probably be the M6 vs max as neither are adjustable via weights and have similar properties.

Ah good to know.  I don't think I actually ended up hitting the M6.  From the reviews I've seen I think the SIM (non-max) might be a little too low spin, and the Sim Max would be more appropriate, but that's what the fitting bays are for right?

That's a sweet win at a tournament!  I think the best thing I've won at a tournament was $50 proshop credit. haha

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I saw the TXG video and they were saying the M5 was "unstable" compared to the SIM. I thought that was strange given the popularity of that driver

Golf is cool

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Unless you need to knock spin off the ts4 will be a low spin lower launching head similar to the 430/440 heads from TM in previous releases.

due to the forward cg and lower spin the forgiveness will be less as well

I do have to get back on a launch monitor but I had a shoulder injury for the last 2 seasons and my swing ended up changing where I was using more wrist through the hitting area. I should have just shut it down but I continued to play. This has created a loss of distance and more spin and higher launch....my shoulder is finally healed 100% so I'm looking to get back at it.  The T4 may be an option but I'm gonna try the T2,3&4 to see what works best

Golf is cool

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

Ah good to know.  I don't think I actually ended up hitting the M6.  From the reviews I've seen I think the SIM (non-max) might be a little too low spin, and the Sim Max would be more appropriate, but that's what the fitting bays are for right?

That's a sweet win at a tournament!  I think the best thing I've won at a tournament was $50 proshop credit. haha

I won a trail camera and a thermos at the last outing I played.....not an M5!!! that is sweet

Golf is cool

4 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

I saw the TXG video and they were saying the M5 was "unstable" compared to the SIM. I thought that was strange given the popularity of that driver

I don’t think the m5 was that popular. Many preferred the m3 and older m1/2.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t think the m5 was that popular. Many preferred the m3 and older m1/2.

Tiger, Rahm, Rory all had it in their bag last year....and won with it. 

Maybe it wasn't that popular with amateurs? 

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

29 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

DJ has it in and out of the bag throughout the year. 

In the reviews and user feedback I’ve seen around the m5 was not very popular amongst amateurs. Ball speed was less than m3 which is what i saw too and even though it took left side out of play I couldn’t sacrifice the distance loss on carry.

Sound was also a knock on it. 

35 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

seems like a lot of people liked the M3/M4 better this year than the M5/M6 because of the nice discount on the old ones lol

I ran into a few guys playing M4s who all mentioned how it was just about as good for them and much cheaper.  It will be interesting to see if the same thing happens with the M5/M6 vs the Sim lineup... this time around its a greater departure from the previous models so that same logic might not come into play.

12 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

seems like a lot of people liked the M3/M4 better this year than the M5/M6 because of the nice discount on the old ones lol

I ran into a few guys playing M4s who all mentioned how it was just about as good for them and much cheaper.  It will be interesting to see if the same thing happens with the M5/M6 vs the Sim lineup... this time around its a greater departure from the previous models so that same logic might not come into play.

Unless someone is just buying off the shelf I don’t think the m5/6 sales will be similar to m3/4 after discount. The sim and max in my perusing the webs so far has been an improvement over m5/6 and guys that skipped the m5 are getting in on the sim. 

5 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

is there a link where you can view the club sales for each year? Ive looked but cannot find anything outside of total dollars brought in..nothing related to any specific club

Unless you are working in parts of the industry you won’t have access to sales numbers by club or club type. I had a non tm rep tell me one day don’t look at sales look at returns. It was either the r11 or r15 and his words were it’s the #1 selling driver but also the number 1 returned/traded in driver 

16 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Unless you are working in parts of the industry you won’t have access to sales numbers by club or club type. I had a non tm rep tell me one day don’t look at sales look at returns. It was either the r11 or r15 and his words were it’s the #1 selling driver but also the number 1 returned/traded in driver 

funny thing is, I returned a R11 back then. Hated it.  It kept me away from TM for years. Ready to give them another shot with the SIM.....probably the hybrid though. $600 for a driver is bonkers.

Golf is cool

1 minute ago, Tsecor said:

funny thing is, I returned a R11 back then. Hated it.  It kept me away from TM for years. Ready to give them another shot with the SIM.....probably the hybrid though. $600 for a driver is bonkers.

Well technically it’s $549.99 but hey if you fit into a sim max is $499.99. Or you could find titleist fits better and they are currently $399.99

Per your post one the Crossfield xxio thread there’s minimal difference between clubs these days so you could probably go back as far as 917, m3/4, rogue, epic, f8

I will say the SIM feels better that the M5. I would never call the M5 a good feeling driver. The SIM is better by a lot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Well technically it’s $549.99 but hey if you fit into a sim max is $499.99. Or you could find titleist fits better and they are currently $399.99

Per your post one the Crossfield xxio thread there’s minimal difference between clubs these days so you could probably go back as far as 917, m3/4, rogue, epic, f8

True. At $550 + tax (8%), that brings me to $594......

"they" say you see a significant change after 5 cumulative years when it comes to drivers.....so you may not notice anything from 1 year to the very next but wait 5 years and get fit and you should see a big enough difference to possibly make a change.  I think that's where I'm at, but I do wonder if drivers "wear out" or become "tired" from X amount of hits.

When I go to test the TS series vs my 910 series, ill have a much clearer picture but ive always wondered if golf balls and clubs show a decline in performance after so many years

Golf is cool