TESTERS WANTED! ×

TM SIM vs Titleist TS

Tsecor

When I go to test the TS series vs my 910 series, ill have a much clearer picture but ive always wondered if golf balls and clubs show a decline in performance after so many years

One thing that you will absolutely notice, your off-center misses will feel and fly far better than your 910.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 minute ago, Tsecor said:

True. At $550 + tax (8%), that brings me to $594......

"they" say you see a significant change after 5 cumulative years when it comes to drivers.....so you may not notice anything from 1 year to the very next but wait 5 years and get fit and you should see a big enough difference to possibly make a change.  I think that's where I'm at, but I do wonder if drivers "wear out" or become "tired" from X amount of hits.

When I go to test the TS series vs my 910 series, ill have a much clearer picture but ive always wondered if golf balls and clubs show a decline in performance after so many years

Typically yes that 3-5 years is when differences are noticed but that isn’t a hard and fast rule. There are improvements that are usually made more on off center hits from release to release. While ct is maxed out not all drivers are a good fit for everyone. A cobra driver that didn’t fit someone last year doesn’t mean that the new cobra driver will also be bad for the same person this year.

With designs, materials, etc improvement are usually made in forgiveness and/or speed on shots that miss the sweet spot. Significant improvements will be different for everyone. Some may consider 5 yards to be nothing and not worth the price to upgrade where somewhere else is all over that type of gain. 

Then you have something like the 910 to 913 which was imo a downgraded imo then 915 improved in that despite the terrible sound and the 917 improved on both sound and performance. Or now with m5 to sim. Imo based on reviews online and indictable feedback on various forums there is a significant improvement from m5 to sim. 

it really all boils down to try as many clubs as one needs/wants to and find what works best. Then go get fit and dial it in 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

46 minutes ago, bens197 said:

One thing that you will absolutely notice, your off-center misses will feel and fly far better than your 910.

I hope so. my typical miss is in the toe area so I would definitely hope to improve on that

Golf is cool

On 2/12/2020 at 5:41 AM, Tsecor said:

True. At $550 + tax (8%), that brings me to $594......

"they" say you see a significant change after 5 cumulative years when it comes to drivers.....so you may not notice anything from 1 year to the very next but wait 5 years and get fit and you should see a big enough difference to possibly make a change.  I think that's where I'm at, but I do wonder if drivers "wear out" or become "tired" from X amount of hits.

You could always grab a SIM in about 9-10 months when the price drops. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

49 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

You could always grab a SIM in about 9-10 months when the price drops. 

its a vicious cycle......i will say i recently watched a Rick Shields video where he tested 5 generations of Titleist drivers starting with the 910 series through the TS series......same shaft and ball were introduced and same head settings.....the difference in length was 20 yards....so in this test, the titleist series drivers gained 20 yards over a 12 year period. over a 5 year period (D917) was minimal...average of 7 yards....

Golf is cool

its a vicious cycle......i will say i recently watched a Rick Shields video where he tested 5 generations of Titleist drivers starting with the 910 series through the TS series......same shaft and ball were introduced and same head settings.....the difference in length was 20 yards....so in this test, the titleist series drivers gained 20 yards over a 12 year period. over a 5 year period (D917) was minimal...average of 7 yards....

For center strikes I don't think you will see much if any year to year difference. But away from center they are getting better and better I think. 

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

2 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

For center strikes I don't think you will see much if any year to year difference. But away from center they are getting better and better I think. 

yea, even off center strikes are the same year to year.....but like i said, the titleist drivers took 12 years to show any real solid gains that could affect your scoring....20 yards is a lot of extra length but it took 12 years in technology to gain that. 

Golf is cool

2 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

yea, even off center strikes are the same year to year.....but like i said, the titleist drivers took 12 years to show any real solid gains that could affect your scoring....20 yards is a lot of extra length but it took 12 years in technology to gain that. 

True.

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

yea, even off center strikes are the same year to year...

That’s just not true. This is where the bigger gains are made rom year to year. Better ball speeds on off center hits as well as better dispersion.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

12 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s just not true. This is where the bigger gains are made rom year to year. Better ball speeds on off center hits as well as better dispersion.

the point is it takes many years to see significant gains in these areas. Its not a debate really. its just data. If you see 1mph from year to year.....thats great....but it takes many years for it to be significant...if a new driver comes out every 2 years and they gain .7 mph or 1mph....thats 10 years to get 5mph which might relate to 10 yards....thats all were saying

Golf is cool

the point is it takes many years to see significant gains in these areas. Its not a debate really. its just data. If you see 1mph from year to year.....thats great....but it takes many years for it to be significant...if a new driver comes out every 2 years and they gain .7 mph or 1mph....thats 10 years to get 5mph which might relate to 10 yards....thats all were saying

Actually in the last several years 2-3 mph and sometimes more are seen on off center hits. Center face contacts will have less increase year to year due to the CT being limited at that point on the face.

If you look at all the changes over the last several years it’s been to face design to make the off center hits faster. 

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Actually in the last several years 2-3 mph and sometimes more are seen on off center hits. Center face contacts will have less increase year to year due to the CT being limited at that point on the face.

If you look at all the changes over the last several years it’s been to face design to make the off center hits faster. 

true.

Golf is cool

I just picked up the TS3 after trying them all for the last 3 months. I ended up picking the TS3 because of the way it set up at address. Results w all top brands were almost the same. Shaft selection is probably more important than head selection.

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)

I just picked up the TS3 after trying them all for the last 3 months. I ended up picking the TS3 because of the way it set up at address. Results w all top brands were almost the same. Shaft selection is probably more important than head selection.

Oh, Lord! You asked for it....

Gentlemen. After you.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

6 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Oh, Lord! You asked for it....

Gentlemen. After you.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

giphy.webp?cid=790b7611992c211938d9dcb4b

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

7 hours ago, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

I so agree!!

(Sluggo tightens his flame resistant suit, and adjusts his Kevlar vest...)

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

On 2/10/2020 at 3:32 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I have a TS1 built and designed for moderate or as Tony often cites, that's the OEM code word for slow, swing speed...ha   It is 9.5 based on my TPI fitting and has the Tensei Blue Shaft.   I also have the SIM MAX in 9.5 with the stock Ventus Red Shaft.

I took them both out to a par 5 hole the other day and hit about 20 drives each.  I didn't have any LM with me.  Just hit 5 SIM, 5 TS1 went and retrieved and repeated.  The longes of the bunch was one from the SIM that I hit about as good as I can, and it was 230'ish based on course yardage markers and my stepping it off.   The longest TS1 was about 212.   That said the TS1 had a much more consistent dispersion and the misses with the SIM were much worst than the TS1

I'll definitely be giving both of them more time to get a good comparison.  But I have to tell you the TS1 was in my bag the last 6 months of last year and it will take something special to knock it out. 

It sounds like we hit our drivers the same distance, that's right where I am at sea level here in Myrtle Beach. I get a little more up on Long Island, but nothing game changing, believe me. .

I want to try a similar head to head with my 9.0* G400 Max stock reg Alta, and a new 10.5* Epic Flash w/ EvenFlow Green45 5.0. I'm curious about a shaft this light... I have the stock 5.5 Hazardous that came with the '17 GBB Epic, but I think I'd need a new adaptor(?). I keep trying to replace the 400Max, but nothing I've tried works as well for me. From the first day I hit it, it'd been great. 

Anyway, it'll all have to wait a bit, haven't swung a club in two weeks due to a bad "golfers elbow" flare up. Hope this goes away soon, my new Titleist irons are supposed to arrive at the end of the week... there's nothing worse then just staring at a new box of irons that you can't take out and hit.

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

A second testing of the two didn't go as well for the SIM.  And this time the TS1 was the longest at 227.  I had my SX500 out to measure the drives.   So the SIM Max was sold and a MAX-D at 10.5 ordered in its place.   So we'll see if it fares any better 

Ok m Wed I'm going to a Callaway event where we will hit it's whole line.  So I'll see how the MAVRIK does.  But that's a different thread for a different day. 😎

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 5:26 PM, Grand Stranded said:

It sounds like we hit our drivers the same distance, that's right where I am at sea level here in Myrtle Beach. I get a little more up on Long Island, but nothing game changing, believe me. .

I want to try a similar head to head with my 9.0* G400 Max stock reg Alta, and a new 10.5* Epic Flash w/ EvenFlow Green45 5.0. I'm curious about a shaft this light... I have the stock 5.5 Hazardous that came with the '17 GBB Epic, but I think I'd need a new adaptor(?). I keep trying to replace the 400Max, but nothing I've tried works as well for me. From the first day I hit it, it'd been great. 

Anyway, it'll all have to wait a bit, haven't swung a club in two weeks due to a bad "golfers elbow" flare up. Hope this goes away soon, my new Titleist irons are supposed to arrive at the end of the week... there's nothing worse then just staring at a new box of irons that you can't take out and hit.

Same with my g400lst. I think the point here is that the g400 series was a really good stick. I demoed a titleist t2 yesterday and while it was fine, it didn’t beat up the ping. 
good advancements from 12 years ago, but I think that we’ve reached the point where any significant gains are going to be rather slim-

fine tuning with weights, face advances (like the twist face) and shafts will be the main place to see any real improvements. Now the truly gifted fitters will become the “go-to” ...

sadly tho, not many of us amateurs, myself included, are good enough at consistent decent strikes to really notice the slight gains on a regular basis.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

1 hour ago, Sluggo42 said:

Same with my g400lst. I think the point here is that the g400 series was a really good stick. I demoed a titleist t2 yesterday and while it was fine, it didn’t beat up the ping. 
good advancements from 12 years ago, but I think that we’ve reached the point where any significant gains are going to be rather slim-

fine tuning with weights, face advances (like the twist face) and shafts will be the main place to see any real improvements. Now the truly gifted fitters will become the “go-to” ...

sadly tho, not many of us amateurs, myself included, are good enough at consistent decent strikes to really notice the slight gains on a regular basis.

Significant is hard to define because it varies by each golfer. So many on forums say 2-3 years isn’t significant but in recent videos I’ve seen pros talking about being happy getting 2-3 yards more. On the amateur side many don’t consider under 10 yards significant while others do. Then there’s the dispersion aspect. Not gaining any yards or a small amount but having a ball be less off line while not sacrificing too much ball speed is significant for some. When I put the 917d3 in the bag over my 2016 M2 it was because the misses were more consistent. I didn’t gain distance but I would only lose 5 yards or so on a mishit and the ball would stay on the same line it started on.

with you last statement imo amateurs who don’t find center or consistently near it are the ones who have the most potential to gain from new releases. As brands improve the speed on off center hits and adjust center of gravity or feel things like twist face that inconsistent strike has a better chance of being less offline and distance gain by less movement laterally and better ball speed. 

On 2/11/2020 at 5:30 PM, Tsecor said:

The TS2 seems to be the most "neutral" club where you can just line it up and hit it and expect "forgiveness".  The TS4 is intriguing because I am not a big fan of the 460cc heads......I gotta go check em out.

Exactly. I just bought TS2 and it is amazing. You can really put force into it and ball goes straight to the middle of fairway. I had Callaway Epic Flash, bought in fall. Never kind a liked it. And now TS2 kick 25 yards longer drives so my decision is clear. Callaway is now for sale.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 12:17 PM, Tsecor said:

I am ready to move on from my 910 D3 which is a 440cc head.  Has anyone really tested the SIM yet? Its getting unbelievable reviews. If so, anyone test it against the TS series. I am a Titleist fanboi and really trying to expand my stubborn mentality. 

What happened to the 440 heads? everything is 460cc....not sure i like the bigger look......HELLPPP!!!!

Currently game the TS2 and love it; however, I am intrigued to try the SIM as well because I could benefit from decreasing spin to gain some yards. As I have always seemed to gravitate toward Titleist woods, I may just transfer over to a TS3 to get the performance I'm looking for, especially considering the price difference. 

If you test the SIM, let us know how it works for you!

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3 9* w/ Accra Tour Z RPG 462 M4+

3 Wood: :titelist-small:TSi2 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 65

3 Hybrid: :ping-small: G425 19* w/ Alta CB 70

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB (4-6) / MMC (7-PW) w/ DG X100

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM6 54 S-grind / 58 M-grind w/ DG S300

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Rx V-line Fang 

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 

On 2/11/2020 at 12:18 PM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Tiger, Rahm, Rory all had it in their bag last year....and won with it. 

Maybe it wasn't that popular with amateurs? 

M5 was really good for very fast players.   Sim more versatile imo. 

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

To keep more inline with this thread..

I had ts3 and it was really good.   I thought the sound was a bit tingy for me.    Numbers were good.  It was pretty much on par with my rogue sub zero.   It destroyed m3 for me.   Sim  and sim max d were better in all metrics.   I actually hit ts3 and sim max about the same.

That brings us to sim.  I was so happy with the most wanted test.  I found the exact same results.  Sim max d won out by a lot.  Spin, launch, dispersion was all the best for me.   Regular sim was a touch longer but the spin numbers I think were to low for outdoor conditions (1700).   Sim max was good but I could only hit it right.    Sim max d was straight and I had the highest ball speed. (157)

I sim max d is a bit louder than the regular sim.   In all honesty I thought sim felt the best of the three, but I could not ignore the performance of max d.  It came down to riptide 60 6.0 tipped an inch and tour ad xc 6s tipped .5

my swing:

103-107 ss

+3 Aoa

+2 swing path (right)

smooth transition

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r