TM SIM vs Titleist TS

29 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Tiger, Rahm, Rory all had it in their bag last year....and won with it. 

Maybe it wasn't that popular with amateurs? 

DJ has it in and out of the bag throughout the year. 

In the reviews and user feedback I’ve seen around the m5 was not very popular amongst amateurs. Ball speed was less than m3 which is what i saw too and even though it took left side out of play I couldn’t sacrifice the distance loss on carry.

Sound was also a knock on it. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sim is great. TS lineup from Titleist is great. All going to come down to personal preference 

I'm not a big hitter.... I'm closer in age to 50 than 40, 5'9, 185, swing speed right around 100.... hit the ball around 250 on avg.  had a few longish ones go 280 but never touched 300. I went f

A second testing of the two didn't go as well for the SIM.  And this time the TS1 was the longest at 227.  I had my SX500 out to measure the drives.   So the SIM Max was sold and a MAX-D at 10.5 order

35 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Tiger, Rahm, Rory all had it in their bag last year....and won with it. 

Maybe it wasn't that popular with amateurs? 

seems like a lot of people liked the M3/M4 better this year than the M5/M6 because of the nice discount on the old ones lol

I ran into a few guys playing M4s who all mentioned how it was just about as good for them and much cheaper.  It will be interesting to see if the same thing happens with the M5/M6 vs the Sim lineup... this time around its a greater departure from the previous models so that same logic might not come into play.

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :Snell: MTB-X | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

its amazing the M5/6 drivers are still selling for $400.......if they dropped that to $200, they would have record sales 🙂

I try other brands...keep coming back to Titleist....why??

12 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

seems like a lot of people liked the M3/M4 better this year than the M5/M6 because of the nice discount on the old ones lol

I ran into a few guys playing M4s who all mentioned how it was just about as good for them and much cheaper.  It will be interesting to see if the same thing happens with the M5/M6 vs the Sim lineup... this time around its a greater departure from the previous models so that same logic might not come into play.

Unless someone is just buying off the shelf I don’t think the m5/6 sales will be similar to m3/4 after discount. The sim and max in my perusing the webs so far has been an improvement over m5/6 and guys that skipped the m5 are getting in on the sim. 

• Like 1

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

is there a link where you can view the club sales for each year? Ive looked but cannot find anything outside of total dollars brought in..nothing related to any specific club

5 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

is there a link where you can view the club sales for each year? Ive looked but cannot find anything outside of total dollars brought in..nothing related to any specific club

Unless you are working in parts of the industry you won’t have access to sales numbers by club or club type. I had a non tm rep tell me one day don’t look at sales look at returns. It was either the r11 or r15 and his words were it’s the #1 selling driver but also the number 1 returned/traded in driver 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Unless you are working in parts of the industry you won’t have access to sales numbers by club or club type. I had a non tm rep tell me one day don’t look at sales look at returns. It was either the r11 or r15 and his words were it’s the #1 selling driver but also the number 1 returned/traded in driver 

funny thing is, I returned a R11 back then. Hated it.  It kept me away from TM for years. Ready to give them another shot with the SIM.....probably the hybrid though. $600 for a driver is bonkers.

1 minute ago, Tsecor said:

funny thing is, I returned a R11 back then. Hated it.  It kept me away from TM for years. Ready to give them another shot with the SIM.....probably the hybrid though. $600 for a driver is bonkers.

Well technically it’s $549.99 but hey if you fit into a sim max is $499.99. Or you could find titleist fits better and they are currently $399.99

Per your post one the Crossfield xxio thread there’s minimal difference between clubs these days so you could probably go back as far as 917, m3/4, rogue, epic, f8

Any comments on how the SIM felt in comparison to your M5?  When I got the free fitting at True Spec Golf I ended up with an M5 and CK Pro White as the best combo.  I'm intrigued by the reviews showing increased Spin consistency and stability on the SIM and Mavrik (as I have liked the Rogue as well) as I am not a super high spin player, but locking into a range could be great for fitting.
I will say the SIM feels better that the M5. I would never call the M5 a good feeling driver. The SIM is better by a lot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Well technically it’s $549.99 but hey if you fit into a sim max is $499.99. Or you could find titleist fits better and they are currently $399.99

Per your post one the Crossfield xxio thread there’s minimal difference between clubs these days so you could probably go back as far as 917, m3/4, rogue, epic, f8

True. At $550 + tax (8%), that brings me to $594......

"they" say you see a significant change after 5 cumulative years when it comes to drivers.....so you may not notice anything from 1 year to the very next but wait 5 years and get fit and you should see a big enough difference to possibly make a change.  I think that's where I'm at, but I do wonder if drivers "wear out" or become "tired" from X amount of hits.

When I go to test the TS series vs my 910 series, ill have a much clearer picture but ive always wondered if golf balls and clubs show a decline in performance after so many years

When I go to test the TS series vs my 910 series, ill have a much clearer picture but ive always wondered if golf balls and clubs show a decline in performance after so many years

One thing that you will absolutely notice, your off-center misses will feel and fly far better than your 910.
  • Like 1
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

"they" say you see a significant change after 5 cumulative years when it comes to drivers.....so you may not notice anything from 1 year to the very next but wait 5 years and get fit and you should see a big enough difference to possibly make a change.  I think that's where I'm at, but I do wonder if drivers "wear out" or become "tired" from X amount of hits.

Typically yes that 3-5 years is when differences are noticed but that isn’t a hard and fast rule. There are improvements that are usually made more on off center hits from release to release. While ct is maxed out not all drivers are a good fit for everyone. A cobra driver that didn’t fit someone last year doesn’t mean that the new cobra driver will also be bad for the same person this year.

With designs, materials, etc improvement are usually made in forgiveness and/or speed on shots that miss the sweet spot. Significant improvements will be different for everyone. Some may consider 5 yards to be nothing and not worth the price to upgrade where somewhere else is all over that type of gain. 

Then you have something like the 910 to 913 which was imo a downgraded imo then 915 improved in that despite the terrible sound and the 917 improved on both sound and performance. Or now with m5 to sim. Imo based on reviews online and indictable feedback on various forums there is a significant improvement from m5 to sim. 

it really all boils down to try as many clubs as one needs/wants to and find what works best. Then go get fit and dial it in 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bens197 said:

One thing that you will absolutely notice, your off-center misses will feel and fly far better than your 910.

I hope so. my typical miss is in the toe area so I would definitely hope to improve on that

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 5:41 AM, Tsecor said:

You could always grab a SIM in about 9-10 months when the price drops. 

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

49 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

You could always grab a SIM in about 9-10 months when the price drops. 

its a vicious cycle......i will say i recently watched a Rick Shields video where he tested 5 generations of Titleist drivers starting with the 910 series through the TS series......same shaft and ball were introduced and same head settings.....the difference in length was 20 yards....so in this test, the titleist series drivers gained 20 yards over a 12 year period. over a 5 year period (D917) was minimal...average of 7 yards....

its a vicious cycle......i will say i recently watched a Rick Shields video where he tested 5 generations of Titleist drivers starting with the 910 series through the TS series......same shaft and ball were introduced and same head settings.....the difference in length was 20 yards....so in this test, the titleist series drivers gained 20 yards over a 12 year period. over a 5 year period (D917) was minimal...average of 7 yards....

For center strikes I don't think you will see much if any year to year difference. But away from center they are getting better and better I think. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

For center strikes I don't think you will see much if any year to year difference. But away from center they are getting better and better I think. 

yea, even off center strikes are the same year to year.....but like i said, the titleist drivers took 12 years to show any real solid gains that could affect your scoring....20 yards is a lot of extra length but it took 12 years in technology to gain that. 

2 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

yea, even off center strikes are the same year to year.....but like i said, the titleist drivers took 12 years to show any real solid gains that could affect your scoring....20 yards is a lot of extra length but it took 12 years in technology to gain that. 

True.

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

yea, even off center strikes are the same year to year...

That’s just not true. This is where the bigger gains are made rom year to year. Better ball speeds on off center hits as well as better dispersion.

12 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s just not true. This is where the bigger gains are made rom year to year. Better ball speeds on off center hits as well as better dispersion.

the point is it takes many years to see significant gains in these areas. Its not a debate really. its just data. If you see 1mph from year to year.....thats great....but it takes many years for it to be significant...if a new driver comes out every 2 years and they gain .7 mph or 1mph....thats 10 years to get 5mph which might relate to 10 yards....thats all were saying