Jump to content
Michael DeRogatis

Maxfli Tour

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Hey All,

I saw the add on Friday to get the Maxfli Tour balls half off on Dicks Sporting good website. I went to go order and chose the Tour and not the X. Is there really a big difference in both? I tend to hit the ball pretty high but typically played the Pro V1X. Any thoughts on what I should do?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Maxfli Tour Matte Green are on sale today (Thursday 2/13) at Dicks during one of their Flash Sales. $17.98 a dozen. I played a dozen last summer and was quite impressed with them. Very good distance and the stopping power on the greens was right up there with the $50 a dozen balls. I've read numerous articles on the CG marking on the ball and they did go rather straight for me so it may work.

maxfli tour matte green sale price.jpg

maxfli tour matte green box.jpg

maxfli tour matte green.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today (02/26) Golf Galaxy has the same sale I posted above from Dicks. The Maxfli Tour Matte Greens are $17.98 a dozen until 10pm EST tonight. Also, my favorite mud plug balls, the Maxfli StraightFli Matte Whites are $6.98 a dozen. Are they tour caliber...NO...do they hurt less when they plug in the mud and you can't find them compared to a Pro V1...YES! And they actually play fairly well.

JMHO....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, wwaldo said:

Today (02/26) Golf Galaxy has the same sale I posted above from Dicks. The Maxfli Tour Matte Greens are $17.98 a dozen until 10pm EST tonight. Also, my favorite mud plug balls, the Maxfli StraightFli Matte Whites are $6.98 a dozen. Are they tour caliber...NO...do they hurt less when they plug in the mud and you can't find them compared to a Pro V1...YES! And they actually play fairly well.

JMHO....

I don't miss this - having to play a different ball from October (leaves) to April (plugging).  The Tour is a very good ball - It did well in the MGS robot testing and as a human tester I will say that I could certainly game it.  Stay away from the Tour x unless you have a very high swing speed - it was the case in our test group and also as I tested it - sometimes close to 20 yards shorter than the Tour or my gamer - Pro V1x.  When I've let one of the high SS guys that I've been playing with hit it they do fine - its a flop for everyone else that I know.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried the matte white Tour last weekend.  I now realize why most golf balls are glossy white.  I am near sighted and wear glasses when I play, but even so, the matte finish is tough to see visually.  Played the back 9 with a PV1 and there was a bit more distance but not a tremendous amount.  If you can afford it the PV1 is a better ball but these aren't far behind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played the Maxfli Tour CG Matte Green on Tuesday. Played one ball all day and even had two 280+ yard drives. Both were on Par 5’s but only one with a favorable wind. The Tour CG is definitely the ball for me.....getting used to the Matte Green.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The matte green and white balls are still on sale at Dick's today, but not Golf Galaxy. Online only (I got them to price match their website instore)

Going to give the matte green a try.

Edited by Jim418
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The matte green and white balls are still on sale at Dick's today, but not Golf Galaxy.
Going to give the matte green a try.



Pretty easy to spot on the course.


Using Wilson Staff Driver: Triton, Powerbilt 3W/5W, Tour Edge CVX129 4Hybrid, Irons 5-PW Wilson Staff D-7,Hogan wedges 49/53/57 & Tommy Armour Impact putter.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the ball I've been playing this winter, and have really liked it. Sadly, the forest of Puerto Rico reached out and claimed my last few so this sale came at a good time. 

 

Side note / question. @Tony Covey MGS mentioned that matte golf balls were strictly bad on one of the npg podcasts... Does anyone have more information on that statement?I haven't noticed any performance issues with these, and compared them on a launch monitor to the new B XS balls and didn't see anything glaring. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thin2win said:

This is the ball I've been playing this winter, and have really liked it. Sadly, the forest of Puerto Rico reached out and claimed my last few so this sale came at a good time. 

 

Side note / question. @Tony Covey MGS mentioned that matte golf balls were strictly bad on one of the npg podcasts... Does anyone have more information on that statement?I haven't noticed any performance issues with these, and compared them on a launch monitor to the new B XS balls and didn't see anything glaring. 

 

In their wet wedge test they indicated "cheaper (2-piece) balls and matte finish balls are affected more significantly by moisture."  That was the only use of he word "matte" in their golf ball buying guide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played a lot of Matte balls last season and they perform as well as the glossy for me but the one thing I did notice was they get dirtier quicker. I had to use the ball washer more often rather than just wipe off with a towel. The Matte Green color helped me to see them in flight and on the ground. I would prefer a yellow but they don't make it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played my first round with the Maxfli Tour ball in matte green. Very weird to be looking for a green ball rather than white. Was pleased with the results. I did not find the colour distracting (I thought I might). Enjoyed playing with a less spinny ball (had been playing the Kirkland 3-piece which is way to spinny for me). It stopped quickly on greens with no sucking back.

I had tried it out on a practice green the day before and did not like it at all. The matte surface seemed to interact with the face of my TM Spider putter oddly. But the next day when i put it in play it was fine. Liked it a lot better than the Kirkland 3-piece.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 4:52 AM, wwaldo said:

I played a lot of Matte balls last season and they perform as well as the glossy for me but the one thing I did notice was they get dirtier quicker. I had to use the ball washer more often rather than just wipe off with a towel. The Matte Green color helped me to see them in flight and on the ground. I would prefer a yellow but they don't make it. 

That's what I find as well.  On the plus side however, they tend not to show scuff marks as much. I sort of like the matte finish but will likely only play those I find.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...