TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driver swing speed vs carry/total distance

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I'm not a big hitter.... I'm closer in age to 50 than 40, 5'9, 185, swing speed right around 100.... hit the ball around 250 on avg.  had a few longish ones go 280 but never touched 300.

I went for a fitting with the SIM this weekend.

I was on an indoor LM.

9 degree head, Ventus blue shaft, stiff.  (don't even ask if it was "made for" or not - I have no clue and don't care)
I hit about 10 drives with that combo - 3 were *over* 300 total and longest was 307.... avg showed up as 270 carry, 295 total.  

I'd say the SIM is the real deal.  I haven't tried the TM but man that SIM max was really impressive.

Unfortunately it sounds like you were the victim of juiced launch monitor software 

Screenshot_20200210-151124.png

11 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Unfortunately it sounds like you were the victim of juiced launch monitor software 

Screenshot_20200210-151124.png

So you're saying that the PGA Superstore is deceiving their customers in order to drive sales?

Just noticed that this is trackman - they were using GC Hawk.... haha

BTW - there was absolutely no pressure to buy.  He told me what would work, wrote it down, I thanked him and left.
I don't care if I hit it over 300 or not.... If that's all I cared about I'd pump iron 4 hours a day, drink protein shakes 5 times a day and do the superspeed stuff until my arms fell off.... I just know that the driver went far and straight, had a 16* launch angle, the proper amount of spin and good ball speed.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

So you're saying that the PGA Superstore is deceiving their customers in order to drive sales?

BTW - there was absolutely no pressure to buy.  He told me what would work, wrote it down, I thanked him and left.

Launch monitor doesn't matter. You're not going to get 270 carry unless you're swinging 110+ mph with ideal launch conditions. 

So I'm saying the launch monitor was not picking things up correctly, or they edited the conditions on the simulator software to inflate the numbers 

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Im basically the same stats; +/- 100mph swing speed and i was fit just last year for a TM M6 and average about 245-250. Thats with 1yr of real Arccos data (abt 20rds). My longest drive is 280. Any review i've watched has said the SIM will provide like 5yds more yardage.

Could always request a demo club to borrow and try on the course. Otherwise their launch monitor is wack

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

1 hour ago, JonMUSC08 said:

Im basically the same stats; +/- 100mph swing speed and i was fit just last year for a TM M6 and average about 245-250. Thats with 1yr of real Arccos data (abt 20rds). My longest drive is 280. Any review i've watched has said the SIM will provide like 5yds more yardage.

Could always request a demo club to borrow and try on the course. Otherwise their launch monitor is wack

Okay... I don't know what kind of games they were playing, but these are my numbers, which may or may not be accurate. I've blacked out the distances, but the SIM was always longer by 5-7 yards than my gamer....which I was fit for but is 4+ years old so the extra distance isn't that surprising.  The launch and spin are encouraging.

IMG_20200208_143537~2.jpg

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Which PGA Tour Superstore was it? My buddy and I are going to be going soon so I'll want to keep my eye out for that.

Here's what Flightscope would suggest you should see (which I find mostly accurate)  https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

Basically nothing really different especially if you bring strike into it.

Cobra:

Cobra.JPG.587652afe20ec0751f26bd471265c8d1.JPG

SIM:

1808534368_max9.0.JPG.e6b55cb19ccc7eb6af82c029e4b5aa8f.JPG

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

3 hours ago, jlukes said:

Launch monitor doesn't matter. You're not going to get 270 carry unless you're swinging 110+ mph with ideal launch conditions. 

So I'm saying the launch monitor was not picking things up correctly, or they edited the conditions on the simulator software to inflate the numbers 

Having been to a pga superstore on multiple occasions their software can be buggy and or juiced. I’ve been in the tour van bays as well as the standard fitting bays and have registered some crazy numbers good and bad.

Distance sells so a juiced monitor at a big box store tends to be the norm 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

When testing on an unknown launch monitor always compare your current driver to the ones you are testing.   

Sound advice right there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

14 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Which PGA Tour Superstore was it? My buddy and I are going to be going soon so I'll want to keep my eye out for that.

Here's what Flightscope would suggest you should see (which I find mostly accurate)  https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

Basically nothing really different especially if you bring strike into it.

Cobra:

Cobra.JPG.587652afe20ec0751f26bd471265c8d1.JPG

SIM:

Thanks for the link! This is really cool. Glad to be able to see that i'm getting the distance I should when i square one up correctly.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

16 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I'm not a big hitter.... I'm closer in age to 50 than 40, 5'9, 185, swing speed right around 100.... hit the ball around 250 on avg.  had a few longish ones go 280 but never touched 300.

I went for a fitting with the SIM this weekend.

I was on an indoor LM.

9 degree head, Ventus blue shaft, stiff.  (don't even ask if it was "made for" or not - I have no clue and don't care)
I hit about 10 drives with that combo - 3 were *over* 300 total and longest was 307.... avg showed up as 270 carry, 295 total.  

I'd say the SIM is the real deal.  I haven't tried the TM but man that SIM max was really impressive.

wow....you and I are about the same profile so this is very interesting.

Golf is cool

1 minute ago, jlukes said:

Tsecor, you're not sniffing 270 carry with 100 mph or even 105 mph swing speed 

Exactly. Those ball speeds need to be in the 160 range. 

ball speed 140 on lpga tour with 13ish launch and 2600 spin gets 218 carry. 

from a personal experience I did a fitting with TaylorMade for the m5 using trackman outdoor and set to optimized. Ball speeds were 147-149 with launch between 14-15* and spin between 1850s-2000s and carry distance was 245 to no more than 249.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

sorry dude.... something must've been amiss with the fitter.
I mean it looked official and all - at a reputable store - branded, GC Quad, etc.
(not me in the picture with the fitter)
IMG_20200208_140254.jpg

I should have guessed something was up.....
This chart is one I found online and seems fairly accurate.  (source: https://www.miasportstechnology.com/)
link: (https://www.miasportstechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Driver-Speed-to-Distance.pdf)
image.png

He didn't measure my swing speed...it was probably a little higher than 100 - there's no punishment for a missed shot on these things so you can give it all you got.  I might've been around 105, but whatever.... it's not worth arguing over.

the point I was trying to make is that the driver is designed well, felt good, and worked for me. 

that's it.  Nothing more; nothing less.

this was NOT meant to be an exercise or debate on what your swing speed needs to be in order to carry the ball X number of yards and get X distance.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

14 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I mean it looked official and all - at a reputable store - branded, GC Quad, etc.
IMG_20200208_140254.jpg

This chart is one I found online and seems fairly accurate.  (source: https://www.miasportstechnology.com/)
link: (https://www.miasportstechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Driver-Speed-to-Distance.pdf)
image.png

He didn't measure my swing speed...it was probably a little higher than 100 - there's no punishment for a missed shot on these things so you can give it all you got.  I might've been around 105, but whatever.... it's not worth arguing over.

the point I was trying to make is that the driver is designed well, felt good, and worked for me. 

this was NOT meant to be an exercise or debate on what your swing speed needs to be in order to carry the ball X number of yards and get X distance.

If there are members who wish to debate that fact I strongly encourage them to start a new thread and discuss it there.

Iirc club head speed isn’t measured by gcquad or any variation of it without the dots on the club or on the old gc2 without hmt system.

The more important data is ball speed, launch, spin, peak height, descent/land angle, standard deviation (not sure if this is measured by box box stores).

As for the fitting/store setup and reputation 1) some fitters are good but many times they aren’t very experienced fitters. The best/better fitters there are the ones who work on the tour van bay, similar to 2nd swing where they have hitting/fitting bays and then I’m the back of the store the tour fitting studio. 2) pga ss is a reputable store but they are in the business of selling clubs and distance sells so as mentioned unless you set a baseline with your current setup and compare that to on course or other launch monitor data it’s hard to know if the launch monitor is accurate or not. 3) gcquad tends to overestimate numbers on lower spin shots. 

23 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

IMG_20200208_140254.jpg

image.png

Thanks for posting. I think it's a great discussion and reminder for everybody as new drivers get out and people get excited. Compare your current gamer, and then relax and think common sense. If you're seeing 10+ yards of improvement without an obvious culprit (maybe you had an older driver, or the shaft was a bad fit etc) then you need to pump the brakes and think. With the USGA limits on clubs there is just not enough meaningful technology improvement year over year, or even over five years, to justify that kind of increase. 

Give it the ole sniff test and remember that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

8 minutes ago, newballcoach said:

Thanks for posting. I think it's a great discussion and reminder for everybody as new drivers get out and people get excited. Compare your current gamer, and then relax and think common sense. If you're seeing 10+ yards of improvement without an obvious culprit (maybe you had an older driver, or the shaft was a bad fit etc) then you need to pump the brakes and think. With the USGA limits on clubs there is just not enough meaningful technology improvement year over year, or even over five years, to justify that kind of increase. 

Give it the ole sniff test and remember that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. 

I’ll disagree that 10 yard gains can’t be seen in a year to year release of one does a proper fitting and considers multiple manufacturers. I’ve seen in it from the 917 to g400, there are seeing it with m3 and m5 to sim. I’ve heard people get it work Callaway releases within a back to back cycles. It will vary for everyone but to say it’s not possible is misleading 

I’ll disagree that 10 yard gains can’t be seen in a year to year release of one does a proper fitting and considers multiple manufacturers. I’ve seen in it from the 917 to g400, there are seeing it with m3 and m5 to sim. I’ve heard people get it work Callaway releases within a back to back cycles. It will vary for everyone but to say it’s not possible is misleading 

I personally believe the advances in club design are not sweet spot centric but in expanding the sweet spot to deliver high ball speed for mishits. This by itself will result in distance increases for players that don’t hit the center consistently. While your max drive may not increase, your average distance will increase.

Find a driver that is optimized for you miss.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I personally believe the advances in club design are not sweet spot centric but in expanding the sweet spot to deliver high ball speed for mishits. This by itself will result in distance increases for players that don’t hit the center consistently. While your max drive may not increase, your average distance will increase.

Find a driver that is optimized for you miss.

Agree. I think this gets overlooked by many. Look at what Callaway is doing with AI and creating a face designed for each of the mavrik drivers. It’s not to improve sweet spot contact but make the off center better/more forgiving. Adding speed and dispersion. Some may see both, some may see one or the other. 

20 hours ago, 10shot said:

To answer the JUICE question, yes the software can be juiced by the Admin user. Where I hit indoors the owner juices the older guys that want it juiced all the time. I like it, my 108-110 Swing carries 280+. I know I only hit about 245-255. 

with a 110mph swing, it only goes 245?  something seems off

Golf is cool

9 minutes ago, jlukes said:

If he's hitting down on the ball, not making center contact etc those would all impact outputs such as ballspeed, launch angle and spin 

here is a chart that shows ~ what you should get. Maybe the monitors are not juiced? 

CarryDistanceSwingSpeedChart-600x218.jpg

Golf is cool

23 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

here is a chart that shows ~ what you should get. Maybe the monitors are not juiced? 

What monitors are you saying aren’t juiced?

26 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

A better chart was posted by golfspy stroker on page 1. Putting here for ease of use

image.png.05f346bdbf44af3385d5d020930c4ab0.png

8 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

it was a reply to what @10shot said about juiced monitors

There’s plenty of people around the Internet that have experienced juiced monitors and not just at big box stores. I’ve seen reps do it at demo days. There’s a bunch off settings that can put out numbers to help sell clubs. Wind conditions, elevation, firmness of fairways, etc.

11 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I did not say it wasn't possible, I said you need to consider why that happened. It's misleading to misquote someone. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

12 hours ago, newballcoach said:

If you're seeing 10+ yards of improvement without an obvious culprit (maybe you had an older driver, or the shaft was a bad fit etc) then you need to pump the brakes and think. With the USGA limits on clubs there is just not enough meaningful technology improvement year over year, or even over five years, to justify that kind of increase. 

This is what you said. It reads that unless someone has an older driver they won’t see a 10+ yard increase because the technology won’t allow it. This is what I disagreed with using year over year releases