TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driver swing speed vs carry/total distance

I think you can definitely see a 10+ yard improvement if you go from a driver off the shelf to one you actually got fit for if your swing speed is high enough. Especially if the fit helps you square the ball up more. If you go from good fit to good fit you shouldn’t see that though. 

Definitely agree with some posters, if you aren’t over 110 you aren’t cracking 300. My swing speed is 115-120 and Arccos has me averaging 292 total distance. 

I always like to check to see what the wind is set at demo days and in the shop. A lot of times I notice it is a tailwind. Like one poster said, always compare to your current equipment!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

On 2/10/2020 at 4:35 PM, B.Boston said:

Which PGA Tour Superstore was it? My buddy and I are going to be going soon so I'll want to keep my eye out for that.

Here's what Flightscope would suggest you should see (which I find mostly accurate)  https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

Basically nothing really different especially if you bring strike into it.

Cobra:

Cobra.JPG.587652afe20ec0751f26bd471265c8d1.JPG

SIM:

1808534368_max9.0.JPG.e6b55cb19ccc7eb6af82c029e4b5aa8f.JPG

Wow this is awesome I have not seen a site like this I'm sure ill definitely burn an afternoon messing with number. Wish it gave yards offline as well.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

9 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

I think you can definitely see a 10+ yard improvement if you go from a driver off the shelf to one you actually got fit for if your swing speed is high enough. Especially if the fit helps you square the ball up more. If you go from good fit to good fit you shouldn’t see that though. 

Disagree. I’ve been fit by Titleist and ping and from 917 to g400 I picked up 4mp in ball speed. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just now, jlukes said:

Yup.  Heck Titleist basically admitted that their drivers prior to the TS line have lagged behind the competition 

Yeah. For me everything in the 2016/2017 releases other than 2016 M2 was within 1mph with the 917. Then when I decided to do the tour van fitting with ping on the annual road trip thru our area was the first time I saw any significant ball speed increase. 

my fitter saw an increase of 3-4mph from The epic to the m3. 

Not everyone will see gains but they are there if people take the time to get the right fit. Wh there they are significant is on the user. 1-2 mph might not be enough for one person to upgrade while someone else will gladly take that 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

one thing that we can (mostly) agree on - a different driver isn't going to increase your swing speed by any significant amount.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

31 minutes ago, pozzit said:

Wow this is awesome I have not seen a site like this I'm sure ill definitely burn an afternoon messing with number. Wish it gave yards offline as well.

I've wasted a bit of time playing with launch and spin and elevation haha

The numbers I get out of that are usually a little more conservative than what I see on the Full Swing simulator I use.  Of course I've heard there are differences in the ways all these technologies measure so even something like ball speed will be reported differently from technology to technology on the exact same shot. 

They're usually within 5 yards or so on my driver carry distance, which all things considered is pretty damn good when you think about it.  The only time it gets wonky is when I hit something super low or way offline (not that that ever happens to golfers) but I don't reallly want to know just how far that slice carried when "into the next fairway" is the only answer I really needed.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

one thing that we can (mostly) agree on - a different driver isn't going to increase your swing speed by any significant amount.

I wish it were true!  I'd be able to go from my G30 now.... swing a G400 and be 2 MPH faster, then an F9 and be 2 MPH faster, and then a Sim and be 2MPH faster!  I can pick up 6MPH of clubhead speed just like that! 🤣

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

28 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

There are no absolutes in golf and significant can mean different things to different people. 

While Ian from txg talked about the way that monitors measure or react to head designs and didn’t want to say that matty picked up SS as well as ball speed with sim over the m5 there was data showing an increase. I’ve read user feedback on the sim, mavrik and in previous releases on other forums and discussion groups of people adding swing speed.

with the sim like matty from txg golfers are seeing both SS and ball speed increase. It’s been awhile since I’ve watched tm videos when they had their pros testing the sim line but iirc a coupe added swing speed. With lighter materials and designs the possibility to swing faster is there. 

31 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There are no absolutes in golf and significant can mean different things to different people. 

While Ian from txg talked about the way that monitors measure or react to head designs and didn’t want to say that matty picked up SS as well as ball speed with sim over the m5 there was data showing an increase. I’ve read user feedback on the sim, mavrik and in previous releases on other forums and discussion groups of people adding swing speed.

with the sim like matty from txg golfers are seeing both SS and ball speed increase. It’s been awhile since I’ve watched tm videos when they had their pros testing the sim line but iirc a coupe added swing speed. With lighter materials and designs the possibility to swing faster is there. 

From Merriam-Webster...
Definition of significant
 of a noticeably or measurably large amount

I don't care what club you put in my hands, what head you put on it, what shaft you put in it, how long you make it, how much you move the weights around .... an average guy is not going from a 100 mph swing speed to 110-115... that would be significant.  Gaining 3-4 maybe even 5 mph is not significant.  Also - notice I intentionally did NOT say ball speed.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

From Merriam-Webster...

I don't care what club you put in my hands, what head you put on it, what shaft you put in it, how long you make it, how much you move the weights around .... an average guy is not going from a 100 mph swing speed to 110-115... that would be significant.  Gaining 3-4 maybe even 5 mph is not significant.  Also - notice I intentionally did NOT say ball speed.

Gaining a few mph is absolutely significant. Look at the very chart you posted. Going from 100 to 105 mph swing speed can increase your carry by 16 yards! 

That's more than a full club approach shot! 

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

From Merriam-Webster...

And again as I said what’s significant will vary by each individual. For you 10mph is sign I can’t. If I gain 2mph of SS it’s a win, 3+ and I’m going to be pretty excited.

I can tell you with a certainty that 3-4 mph is significant enough for people to drop money on a new driver. I’ve seen many who gained just 5 yards of distance buy a new driver at demo days. 

3mph with all things being equal will gain someone 6 yards of carry if not closer to 9. I would be surprised if someone who swing 85 wouldn’t be happy to see their speed get up to 88 or more. Someone at 95 getting close to 100 would make a bunch happy too. 

For some perspective pros consider 1-2mph significant. 

Did someone say 5 more mph!!

CB375078-D079-4A53-B3F4-4880764017F8.gif

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

11 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Disagree. I’ve been fit by Titleist and ping and from 917 to g400 I picked up 4mp in ball speed. 

Wouldn’t you then say only one of those was a proper fit? Unless you picked up 4 mph ball speed and a sprinkler like spray pattern. I can get a “best fit” into the wrong driver and it still isn’t a proper fit. Hence the idea of being brand agnostic going into a fitting. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

4 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

Wouldn’t you then say only one of those was a proper fit? Unless you picked up 4 mph ball speed and a sprinkler like spray pattern. I can get a “best fit” into the wrong driver and it still isn’t a proper fit. Hence the idea of being brand agnostic going into a fitting. 

No I wouldn’t say that because my 917 performed optimally to my swing. But as was mentioned titleist admitted their drivers were slower prior to TS line. I’ve been fit for every driver in my bag gaping back to the i20. The only bad fitting I had was for the gbb and the g410. I didn’t buy the g410 because it wasn’t worth the price to upgrade. Also why the m5 didn’t end up in my bag. 

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

No I wouldn’t say that because my 917 performed optimally to my swing. But as was mentioned titleist admitted their drivers were slower prior to TS line. I’ve been fit for every driver in my bag gaping back to the i20. The only bad fitting I had was for the gbb and the g410. I didn’t buy the g410 because it wasn’t worth the price to upgrade. Also why the m5 didn’t end up in my bag. 

It is getting ridiculous how expensive drivers are. How long before we eclipse $600 for a Taylormade or Callaway (ie non-pxg)?

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

26 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

It is getting ridiculous how expensive drivers are. How long before we eclipse $600 for a Taylormade or Callaway (ie non-pxg)?

Well since pxg gen2 is $575 they aren’t that expensive and the upgrade shafts have them coming out cheaper than other brands with upgraded shafts.

Considering the original great big Bertha was $500 in 1996 a $600 driver these days really is that expensive especially when you consider the cost of material, transportation costs, more shaft options at no upcharge, larger r&d budgets, larger marketing budgets. 

33 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Well since pxg gen2 is $575 they aren’t that expensive and the upgrade shafts have them coming out cheaper than other brands with upgraded shafts.

Considering the original great big Bertha was $500 in 1996 a $600 driver these days really is that expensive especially when you consider the cost of material, transportation costs, more shaft options at no upcharge, larger r&d budgets, larger marketing budgets. 

Still too much on a teacher’s salary!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

On 2/13/2020 at 9:57 PM, jddaigneault said:

Still too much on a teacher’s salary!

Check out TourEdge.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino