jlukes

Driver swing speed vs carry/total distance

Our Sponsors

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

From Merriam-Webster...
Definition of significant
 of a noticeably or measurably large amount

I don't care what club you put in my hands, what head you put on it, what shaft you put in it, how long you make it, how much you move the weights around .... an average guy is not going from a 100 mph swing speed to 110-115... that would be significant.  Gaining 3-4 maybe even 5 mph is not significant.  Also - notice I intentionally did NOT say ball speed.

Gaining a few mph is absolutely significant. Look at the very chart you posted. Going from 100 to 105 mph swing speed can increase your carry by 16 yards! 

That's more than a full club approach shot! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

From Merriam-Webster...
Definition of significant
 of a noticeably or measurably large amount

I don't care what club you put in my hands, what head you put on it, what shaft you put in it, how long you make it, how much you move the weights around .... an average guy is not going from a 100 mph swing speed to 110-115... that would be significant.  Gaining 3-4 maybe even 5 mph is not significant.  Also - notice I intentionally did NOT say ball speed.

And again as I said what’s significant will vary by each individual. For you 10mph is sign I can’t. If I gain 2mph of SS it’s a win, 3+ and I’m going to be pretty excited.

I can tell you with a certainty that 3-4 mph is significant enough for people to drop money on a new driver. I’ve seen many who gained just 5 yards of distance buy a new driver at demo days. 

3mph with all things being equal will gain someone 6 yards of carry if not closer to 9. I would be surprised if someone who swing 85 wouldn’t be happy to see their speed get up to 88 or more. Someone at 95 getting close to 100 would make a bunch happy too. 

For some perspective pros consider 1-2mph significant. 

• Like 2

Did someone say 5 more mph!!

CB375078-D079-4A53-B3F4-4880764017F8.gif

• Like 6

11 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Disagree. I’ve been fit by Titleist and ping and from 917 to g400 I picked up 4mp in ball speed. 

Wouldn’t you then say only one of those was a proper fit? Unless you picked up 4 mph ball speed and a sprinkler like spray pattern. I can get a “best fit” into the wrong driver and it still isn’t a proper fit. Hence the idea of being brand agnostic going into a fitting. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

Wouldn’t you then say only one of those was a proper fit? Unless you picked up 4 mph ball speed and a sprinkler like spray pattern. I can get a “best fit” into the wrong driver and it still isn’t a proper fit. Hence the idea of being brand agnostic going into a fitting. 

No I wouldn’t say that because my 917 performed optimally to my swing. But as was mentioned titleist admitted their drivers were slower prior to TS line. I’ve been fit for every driver in my bag gaping back to the i20. The only bad fitting I had was for the gbb and the g410. I didn’t buy the g410 because it wasn’t worth the price to upgrade. Also why the m5 didn’t end up in my bag. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

No I wouldn’t say that because my 917 performed optimally to my swing. But as was mentioned titleist admitted their drivers were slower prior to TS line. I’ve been fit for every driver in my bag gaping back to the i20. The only bad fitting I had was for the gbb and the g410. I didn’t buy the g410 because it wasn’t worth the price to upgrade. Also why the m5 didn’t end up in my bag. 

It is getting ridiculous how expensive drivers are. How long before we eclipse $600 for a Taylormade or Callaway (ie non-pxg)?

26 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

It is getting ridiculous how expensive drivers are. How long before we eclipse $600 for a Taylormade or Callaway (ie non-pxg)?

Well since pxg gen2 is $575 they aren’t that expensive and the upgrade shafts have them coming out cheaper than other brands with upgraded shafts.

Considering the original great big Bertha was $500 in 1996 a $600 driver these days really is that expensive especially when you consider the cost of material, transportation costs, more shaft options at no upcharge, larger r&d budgets, larger marketing budgets. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Well since pxg gen2 is $575 they aren’t that expensive and the upgrade shafts have them coming out cheaper than other brands with upgraded shafts.

Considering the original great big Bertha was $500 in 1996 a $600 driver these days really is that expensive especially when you consider the cost of material, transportation costs, more shaft options at no upcharge, larger r&d budgets, larger marketing budgets. 

Still too much on a teacher’s salary!

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 9:57 PM, jddaigneault said:

Still too much on a teacher’s salary!

Check out TourEdge.