Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Sunset Beach / Myrtle Beach Best Golf?

Shankster

@BIG STU anywhere this man tells you to. Or any course he can meet you.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

When I head that way I usually play rivers edge, crow creek, and the ocean ridge courses. All close to the island. Have to head to Myrtle area to get to the top courses which pushes your 30 minute ride especially coming off one of the islands.
As had already been said there are a couple of forum members from that area that can give you better current course condition reports.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 minutes ago, cnosil said:

When I head that way I usually play rivers edge, crow creek, and the ocean ridge courses. All close to the island. Have to head to Myrtle area to get to the top courses which pushes your 30 minute ride especially coming off one of the islands.
As had already been said there are a couple of forum members from that area that can give you better current course condition reports.

I liked River's Edge, but that was years ago.  I also played Lions' Paw and Panther's Run which are close to you.  Oyster Bay was challenge for the high handicap that I was at the time.

I have no idea what these courses are like now, so defer to the local MGS'ers.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I live on the south end and as a rule generally one does not stray too often from their area. Like Kenny said Lions Paw and Panthers run seem to be in good shape most of the time. The Pearl at Calabash was in excellent shape when we played it back around July. Also The Thistle in Calabash those bent greens are always in great shape. But like I said I do not venture that far up north often because I have so many courses on the South end to choose from

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I liked River's Edge, but that was years ago.  I also played Lions' Paw and Panther's Run which are close to you.  Oyster Bay was challenge for the high handicap that I was at the time.

I have no idea what these courses are like now, so defer to the local MGS'ers.

I am seriously trying to think if Oyster Bay is still open

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I've been going to MB for 25 years for an annual outing, this list gives you all of your choices.  I have only played most of the medium and high price courses and would play any again, most I have played multiple times.  The Big Cats, Oyster Bay and Rivers Edge would be my recommendations based on where you are staying.    

http://www.northmyrtlebeachgolf.com/golf-courses-north.html

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I've played all 5 of The Legends courses, in fact that is where I usually stay as about 8 years ago we moved from Bay Tree down there.  Bay Tree closed it's courses about 20 years ago.  All of their offerings are good but a hint, The Legends are notorious for over booking so your round could be pretty long but with your breakfast and lunch included in the price that is not really a bad thing.   Enjoy.  

When you are there you are only about 20 minutes from Big Stu, he and I got together a couple of years ago for lunch and golf talk, it would be worth your time if you two could hook up. 

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I've played all 5 of The Legends courses, in fact that is where I usually stay as about 8 years ago we moved from Bay Tree down there.  Bay Tree closed it's courses about 20 years ago.  All of their offerings are good but a hint, The Legends are notorious for over booking so your round could be pretty long but with your breakfast and lunch included in the price that is not really a bad thing.   Enjoy.  

When you are there you are only about 20 minutes from Big Stu, he and I got together a couple of years ago for lunch and golf talk, it would be worth your time if you two could hook up. 

I’m going to try and book a first light round there as soon as we get the travel figured out.

Hopefully they let a single out first, so I can fly around the course.

I’ll be in touch with Stu too!

I am at Sunset Beach several times per year and play every time I am there.  My personal take on best courses when limited to Sunset Beach / Calabash area; Thistle and Leopard's Chase (1 of the 'Big Cat' courses).  There are several others (still in the area) that are good and you should attempt to play them as time allows.  If you limit yourself to the courses east/south of US 17 then all 3 of the Sea Trail courses are pretty good, with my preference being Jones.  All of the other 3 Big Cat courses (Panther, Tiger and Lion) are worth playing.  Sand Piper Bay, Oyster Bay and The Pearl are there and also worth playing.  Be aware that The Pearl just closed 9 of its 36 holes (January, I think) and is now a 27-hole facility.  That being said, it is worth noting that the Thistle and Sand Piper Bay are also 27-hole facilities as well.  As all of the courses I just mentioned are on the beach-side of US 17, they are within 10 to 15 minute drive of the beach. If you are willing to drive up to 30 minutes, your selection is MUCH greater and this post gets much larger.   

20 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Still open... under Legends Golf umbrella.

Yep I looked and you are correct--- and what makes this so funny is the fact I am a Legends Member too---- Bear bought me that card for my birthday in September and have used it one time at Heritage

G

Been a looong time since I’ve been at Myrtle Beach area but the choices I’ve recognized are good, Legends, Pearl and Oyster.
Is Arrowhead still around? From what I remember lot of water and tricky stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I'll second the Thistle.  Are the St. James courses private now?  I always liked the Founders Club.  Carolina National was good too.  It's been ages since I've been there.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

10 hours ago, Rickp said:

Been a looong time since I’ve been at Myrtle Beach area but the choices I’ve recognized are good, Legends, Pearl and Oyster.
Is Arrowhead still around? From what I remember lot of water and tricky stuff.

OH yeah Arrowhead is alive and kicking. Love that place a Raymond Floyd designed course

G

4 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I'll second the Thistle.  Are the St. James courses private now?  I always liked the Founders Club.  Carolina National was good too.  It's been ages since I've been there.

Founders is a great course--- We used to play big Calcutta matches on it back when it was Sea Gull--- I loved it then and really love it now that it was totally redesigned and rebuilt some 15 years ago now---- Carolina National is up towards Wilmington and one of our former Assistant Pros is up there--- The St James courses I am not familiar with

G

On 2/13/2020 at 8:29 PM, DawgDaddy said:

You know they just started developing Bay Tree 2 years ago but the did it fast. It will be 2 years this July they finally demolished the big water tower. In fact I hauled every piece of steel from it to our yard not at one time mind you but in about 12 loads. I have the data plate from that water tower hanging in my shop right now. For those of you that do not know you can still Google the images and you will see the tower shaped like a golf ball on a tee. And yep I would love to hook up with any of our fine members. Dawg and I sure had a fine time that day

G

OH yeah Arrowhead is alive and kicking. Love that place a Raymond Floyd designed course

Good, I liked that track.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Haven't played any of the Myrtle Beach area courses in well over 20 years .... played a lot of them when I lived in Mount Pleasant/Charleston SC and had yearly outings with a group for several years after that.  Don't remember most of the ones I played, but The Witch and The Warlock stick out in my head.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I remember the Witch, not bad from what I remember.

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

Haven't played any of the Myrtle Beach area courses in well over 20 years .... played a lot of them when I lived in Mount Pleasant/Charleston SC and had yearly outings with a group for several years after that.  Don't remember most of the ones I played, but The Witch and The Warlock stick out in my head.  

You mean the Wizard don't you?  Wizard and Man O War are right beside of each other. The Witch is a nice layout built in a swamp. But in the summer no air moves and it gets as hot as Hades and the insects will carry you off. Like I said I love the layout but the environment it is in uggh!  when we play it we play in the late fall. Wizard and Man O War are two of the few courses with bent greens and they are always in good shape. Only drawback to those 2 courses lately they seem to draw either the wedding party crowds full of drunks and loud music on the course. The one mixed group of the NY Boys and some others all of us had member cards but dropped them last year due to the type of clientele the seem to be gearing towards now. I guess it is Business 101 they would rather have drunks at $65+ a round consuming $200 or more worth of alcohol a round than locals buying a $50 yearly membership and paying $35 per round. All 3 courses are owned by the same people and called the Mystical Group 

G

You mean the Wizard don't you?  Wizard and Man O War are right beside of each other. The Witch is a nice layout built in a swamp. But in the summer no air moves and it gets as hot as Hades and the insects will carry you off. Like I said I love the layout but the environment it is in uggh!  when we play it we play in the late fall. Wizard and Man O War are two of the few courses with bent greens and they are always in good shape. Only drawback to those 2 courses lately they seem to draw either the wedding party crowds full of drunks and loud music on the course. The one mixed group of the NY Boys and some others all of us had member cards but dropped them last year due to the type of clientele the seem to be gearing towards now. I guess it is Business 101 they would rather have drunks at $65+ a round consuming $200 or more worth of alcohol a round than locals buying a $50 yearly membership and paying $35 per round. All 3 courses are owned by the same people and called the Mystical Group 

I remember Man O War and I didn’t care for it.
I did like the Witch but luckily only played in MB Cool months, usually February/March.

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I've played both of those, as well.  Maybe Warlock was misspoken.  Like I said....been a long time since I played that area.  When I lived in SC, we used to play everywhere from Hilton Head to Myrtle Beach every Thursday (sometimes 2 courses per trip) on the Heart Association card.  Don't know if they still do it, but we used to be able to buy a booklet that had every public and semi-private course in the state that you could play for the cost of 1/2 cart (no greens fees).  There were sometimes time restrictions on when you could play, but it was a steal.  Book costs $30 or 4 for $100 and good for the entire year .... tax deductible, as well!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Carl I do not think they have that deal on the Grand Strand anymore. The Golf business has changed drastically here the last 10 years. A Chinese investment group called Founders International bought up 21 courses and started their own thing called the Prime Times card. They also have several vacation booking agencies too. Now I was a member until they closed my home course Indian Wells in December. I did not renew this year because it was not beneficial for me. Some of the smaller Golf Management groups along with some independent course owners banded together and started the Platinum group which has grown to 21 courses now in fact 4 of them within 2 miles of my house.  My new home course Indigo Creek is just across US 17 from my old course Indian Wells. The pro there and co owner is an old bud anyhow. We got a chuckle yesterday over the fact that now with the closing of Indian Wells the Platinum Group has more courses than the Founders Group. What you do is buy a card with different options and you get reduced rates even in the season. The drawback especially with the Founders Group is in the fall and spring seasons they give priority to the out of town package groups and sorta shunt the locals aside. Right now seems that the Platinum group is not geared that way. You also have the Legends group with 5 courses but they tend to overbook and play can be agonizingly slow. Then you have the Mystical group which I mentioned previously and why our mixed groups of 25 or so did not renew our mystical cards last year. 

We also used to have the Grand Strand Seniors Golf card which was available to any resident over 50. It was basically like the Heart Association book like you described. But it was a sham. The Association let the courses do as they darn well pleased and there were many restrictions and the courses were adding their own as they saw fit and no one said anything. I think I tried to use mine for maybe 6 months and threw it in the trash.  Golf down here prior to 08 got to be a sham for locals. Many of us took to playing out of town so to speak like the Wellman course in Johnsonville and Rolling Hills in Aynor. In 08 during the recession these courses down here darn near starved and they changed their attitude towards locals. And the times shifted all of the local lower tier courses that thrived just prior to the recession have closed now. Wellman , Rolling Hills, Island Green and Heron Point have closed along with the little 9 hole Conway Country club. The only one of that group that is being developed is Conway Country Club. Me since being displaced have basically "hung my shingle and parked my butt" at Indigo Creek. Most of the retirees of the Indian Wells bunch have migrated to the Legends group. 15 years ago I knew darn near someone at every course whether they be the Pro or assistant now I know hardly anyone. Waiting to see if it all goes to hell in a hand basket the next 20  years or so If I live that long. 

G

Carl I do not think they have that deal on the Grand Strand anymore. The Golf business has changed drastically here the last 10 years. A Chinese investment group called Founders International bought up 21 courses and started their own thing called the Prime Times card. They also have several vacation booking agencies too. Now I was a member until they closed my home course Indian Wells in December. I did not renew this year because it was not beneficial for me. Some of the smaller Golf Management groups along with some independent course owners banded together and started the Platinum group which has grown to 21 courses now in fact 4 of them within 2 miles of my house.  My new home course Indigo Creek is just across US 17 from my old course Indian Wells. The pro there and co owner is an old bud anyhow. We got a chuckle yesterday over the fact that now with the closing of Indian Wells the Platinum Group has more courses than the Founders Group. What you do is buy a card with different options and you get reduced rates even in the season. The drawback especially with the Founders Group is in the fall and spring seasons they give priority to the out of town package groups and sorta shunt the locals aside. Right now seems that the Platinum group is not geared that way. You also have the Legends group with 5 courses but they tend to overbook and play can be agonizingly slow. Then you have the Mystical group which I mentioned previously and why our mixed groups of 25 or so did not renew our mystical cards last year. 
We also used to have the Grand Strand Seniors Golf card which was available to any resident over 50. It was basically like the Heart Association book like you described. But it was a sham. The Association let the courses do as they darn well pleased and there were many restrictions and the courses were adding their own as they saw fit and no one said anything. I think I tried to use mine for maybe 6 months and threw it in the trash.  Golf down here prior to 08 got to be a sham for locals. Many of us took to playing out of town so to speak like the Wellman course in Johnsonville and Rolling Hills in Aynor. In 08 during the recession these courses down here darn near starved and they changed their attitude towards locals. And the times shifted all of the local lower tier courses that thrived just prior to the recession have closed now. Wellman , Rolling Hills, Island Green and Heron Point have closed along with the little 9 hole Conway Country club. The only one of that group that is being developed is Conway Country Club. Me since being displaced have basically "hung my shingle and parked my butt" at Indigo Creek. Most of the retirees of the Indian Wells bunch have migrated to the Legends group. 15 years ago I knew darn near someone at every course whether they be the Pro or assistant now I know hardly anyone. Waiting to see if it all goes to hell in a hand basket the next 20  years or so If I live that long. 

Indigo Creek from what I recall was pretty decent. Indian Wells and Indigo were close to our Condo in Surfside we played them often. Island Green closing was a terrible blow to a few of our friends who had bought and retired there.
My Bud in Conway is bummed about MB golf but with his son living there and a daughter an hour away he’s locked in. His wife passed away last year so at 74 he’s staying there.
We came very close to moving to MB in 2012 but chose FL.
Bird Season here is a PIA but we still with our groups of 10-30 guys get a Tee Time but sometimes not where or when we want. My biggest problem with the Birds is their disrespect of greens/fareways.
I still hate Bermuda grass

Rick

Left Hand, 

Alright. Let’s eliminate any directly in gator alley.

I can deal with almost any sort of land mammal, but gators?!

Is this all of them then? Haha

Gators want no part of you either, sometimes. IMG_0124.HEIC

Rick

Left Hand,