TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sunset Beach / Myrtle Beach Best Golf?

Shankster

Well, I guess if we both stay in our lanes I could manage.

Don’t walk your new dog close to ponds or water. I’m actually serious.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

Gators want no part of you either, sometimes. IMG_0124.HEIC

😱

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

Indigo Creek from what I recall was pretty decent. Indian Wells and Indigo were close to our Condo in Surfside we played them often. Island Green closing was a terrible blow to a few of our friends who had bought and retired there.
My Bud in Conway is bummed about MB golf but with his son living there and a daughter an hour away he’s locked in. His wife passed away last year so at 74 he’s staying there.
We came very close to moving to MB in 2012 but chose FL.
Bird Season here is a PIA but we still with our groups of 10-30 guys get a Tee Time but sometimes not where or when we want. My biggest problem with the Birds is their disrespect of greens/fareways.
I still hate Bermuda grassemoji33.png

Indigo in recent years has become a borderline Goat Track. They closed the summer before last to re do the greens but from what I heard ran out of money. right now the greens are in bad shape but putt better than they look. I like the layout and it is a fun course to play and I like the atmosphere of being more or less a locals course. And yes most of us locals have the same problems with the tourists and snowbirds that you guys in Florida have for the same reasons. I grew up on Bermuda grass so no problem for me. Island Green was a fun little track to play. I almost took a bath there because we almost bought one of those little hexagon houses there. The only reason we did not was because the bubble head real estate agent pissed us off because she was so dim witted and we walked. What most of the problem at Island Green was that there are 6 different HOAs in the area and there was a dispute on access to the course. In fact I was involved with a group that wanted to buy it after the latest closing. I was going to be the GM. They got into so much dispute with the 6 HOAs that the main 2 money men pulled out. The one remaining money guy was going to shoulder it all but then he got sick with cancer and passed away. So it sits as I type abandoned and grown up

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

Don’t walk your new dog close to ponds or water. I’m actually serious.

Yep you are correct on that and seriously keep small children away too. Gators in general are as scared of you as you are them except in mating and nesting season. If they see you are not intending any harm they just lay back and observe. We do have laws in SC prohibiting feeding or messing with them. Even in mating and nesting season they are not too aggressive as long as you don't go any closer than 15 feet or so. Yeah I let Wally Gator have his  space. Most of the idiots ate or bit in SC were feeding them and seriously ran out of food and the gator got pissed and attacked

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Indigo in recent years has become a borderline Goat Track. They closed the summer before last to re do the greens but from what I heard ran out of money. right now the greens are in bad shape but putt better than they look. I like the layout and it is a fun course to play and I like the atmosphere of being more or less a locals course. And yes most of us locals have the same problems with the tourists and snowbirds that you guys in Florida have for the same reasons. I grew up on Bermuda grass so no problem for me. Island Green was a fun little track to play. I almost took a bath there because we almost bought one of those little hexagon houses there. The only reason we did not was because the bubble head real estate agent pissed us off because she was so dim witted and we walked. What most of the problem at Island Green was that there are 6 different HOAs in the area and there was a dispute on access to the course. In fact I was involved with a group that wanted to buy it after the latest closing. I was going to be the GM. They got into so much dispute with the 6 HOAs that the main 2 money men pulled out. The one remaining money guy was going to shoulder it all but then he got sick with cancer and passed away. So it sits as I type abandoned and grown up

Hate to see courses close or go to disrepair.
Deer Track was another 27 holes that closed. Our Condo overlooked a corner of one of the holes. We looked seriously at a home there but we weren’t ready for that commitment thankfully.
I’m going to check in with my Bud in Conway and see where he’s playing now.
We have to set Shankster up with something good.

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

Hate to see courses close or go to disrepair.
Deer Track was another 27 holes that closed. Our Condo overlooked a corner of one of the holes. We looked seriously at a home there but we weren’t ready for that commitment thankfully.
I’m going to check in with my Bud in Conway and see where he’s playing now.
We have to set Shankster up with something good.

Deer Track that was another story- When it closed we were running the golf shop and I was equipment manager for Little River LLC which owns Tupelo Bay and Harbour View on the north end. First thing the developer did when they took over was pull the irrigation system. In fact they sold all the pumps and controls to the city of Surfside Beach. Sprinkler heads ended up all over the beach they were sold cheap. In fact I bought 50 of them for LRLLC for $10 each. There were a group with the HOA that wanted to take over at least 18 holes after a year or so. That was wishful thinking because I told them of the irrigation system being gone and what it would take for it to be cut down again to even resemble a golf course much less be goat ranch playable. I had it pegged around 1/4 of a million. The got the dose of reality backed up by a firm that they consulted at 5k to research it. I was not off much maybe 50K. Needless to say they dropped the thoughts like a hot potato. 

G

According to my Bud Arrowhead & MB National West in great shape with Arrowhead his Favorite. He played Legends Monday & Tuesday with the $35 special and also decent shape.
Trying to get him down here for a visit.

Rick

Left Hand, 

26 minutes ago, Rickp said:

According to my Bud Arrowhead & MB National West in great shape with Arrowhead his Favorite. He played Legends Monday & Tuesday with the $35 special and also decent shape.
Trying to get him down here for a visit.

I have not played anywhere but Indigo other than 1 round at The River Club since Indian Wells closed December 21st. I have kinda got involved in the Saturday Shootout but am fixing to wean myself off of it

G

I have not played anywhere but Indigo other than 1 round at The River Club since Indian Wells closed December 21st. I have kinda got involved in the Saturday Shootout but am fixing to wean myself off of it

Maybe some useful info for Alan and his NEW PXG driver

Rick

Left Hand, 

3 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Maybe some useful info for Alan and his NEW PXG driveremoji106.png

Let him hook up with me and I can put together a team. Ain't gonna win anyhow there are too many cheaters but who ever I play with we have fun. Yesterday I finally got hooked up with a Bud that we had wanted to team up for some time. We teamed up with a "snowbird" couple from NY and did pretty well in the mixed division. I may skip this week though and play with the NY boys not sure yet

G

• 2 months later...

Used to take a yearly vacation to Myrtle Beach back in the 90s and early 2000s. Was living in SE Pa back then so it was only 6hrs from home. Likes staying a Pawleys Plantation which has a Nicklaus course. Favorite courses to play are True Blue, Caldonia and Heritage Club. Planning a trip there next year. Little longer drive from south Texas.

Retired Army aviator. 2 Vietnam tours flying Hueys.

Carl I do not think they have that deal on the Grand Strand anymore. The Golf business has changed drastically here the last 10 years. A Chinese investment group called Founders International bought up 21 courses and started their own thing called the Prime Times card. They also have several vacation booking agencies too. Now I was a member until they closed my home course Indian Wells in December. I did not renew this year because it was not beneficial for me. Some of the smaller Golf Management groups along with some independent course owners banded together and started the Platinum group which has grown to 21 courses now in fact 4 of them within 2 miles of my house.  My new home course Indigo Creek is just across US 17 from my old course Indian Wells. The pro there and co owner is an old bud anyhow. We got a chuckle yesterday over the fact that now with the closing of Indian Wells the Platinum Group has more courses than the Founders Group. What you do is buy a card with different options and you get reduced rates even in the season. The drawback especially with the Founders Group is in the fall and spring seasons they give priority to the out of town package groups and sorta shunt the locals aside. Right now seems that the Platinum group is not geared that way. You also have the Legends group with 5 courses but they tend to overbook and play can be agonizingly slow. Then you have the Mystical group which I mentioned previously and why our mixed groups of 25 or so did not renew our mystical cards last year. 
We also used to have the Grand Strand Seniors Golf card which was available to any resident over 50. It was basically like the Heart Association book like you described. But it was a sham. The Association let the courses do as they darn well pleased and there were many restrictions and the courses were adding their own as they saw fit and no one said anything. I think I tried to use mine for maybe 6 months and threw it in the trash.  Golf down here prior to 08 got to be a sham for locals. Many of us took to playing out of town so to speak like the Wellman course in Johnsonville and Rolling Hills in Aynor. In 08 during the recession these courses down here darn near starved and they changed their attitude towards locals. And the times shifted all of the local lower tier courses that thrived just prior to the recession have closed now. Wellman , Rolling Hills, Island Green and Heron Point have closed along with the little 9 hole Conway Country club. The only one of that group that is being developed is Conway Country Club. Me since being displaced have basically "hung my shingle and parked my butt" at Indigo Creek. Most of the retirees of the Indian Wells bunch have migrated to the Legends group. 15 years ago I knew darn near someone at every course whether they be the Pro or assistant now I know hardly anyone. Waiting to see if it all goes to hell in a hand basket the next 20  years or so If I live that long. 

BIG STU thanks for that post. I bring a group to MB every Spring (except this year) since 2003. The guys we book with are booking us with Founders Group. It’s such a great deal. Four rounds and four nights stay for about $450 and some years they give us a $100 gift card good in clubhouses. Problem is, after a few years it’s tough to find new courses to play since they are restricting us to the 21 that they run (or charging a big fee to mix in another course). Your post helps me understand what’s going on. Makes me want to find a vendor working with the Platinum group and comparison shop.

-elvis14, Hacker, Engineer, Dad, CG Camper, Co-Founder of From Your Neighbor

7 hours ago, elvis14 said:

BIG STU thanks for that post. I bring a group to MB every Spring (except this year) since 2003. The guys we book with are booking us with Founders Group. It’s such a great deal. Four rounds and four nights stay for about $450 and some years they give us a $100 gift card good in clubhouses. Problem is, after a few years it’s tough to find new courses to play since they are restricting us to the 21 that they run (or charging a big fee to mix in another course). Your post helps me understand what’s going on. Makes me want to find a vendor working with the Platinum group and comparison shop.

Call over to Indigo Creek 843 650 1809-----  Ask for AJ or Chuck tell them Stu sent you they can hook you up I am sure

G

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Call over to Indigo Creek 843 650 1809-----  Ask for AJ or Chuck tell them Stu sent you they can hook you up I am sure

Thanks, when we get a date to reschedule our trip (we usually go the last weekend in April), I'll give them a call.  Would love to play some new courses.

-elvis14, Hacker, Engineer, Dad, CG Camper, Co-Founder of From Your Neighbor