Shankster

Sunset Beach / Myrtle Beach Best Golf?

The fam and I are going to head towards Sunset Beach for spring break.

What’s a must play within a 30 minute drive?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Its been a long time since I was there, but Tidewater was always the best course in that general area.  

• Like 2

When I head that way I usually play rivers edge, crow creek, and the ocean ridge courses. All close to the island. Have to head to Myrtle area to get to the top courses which pushes your 30 minute ride especially coming off one of the islands.
As had already been said there are a couple of forum members from that area that can give you better current course condition reports.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cnosil said:

When I head that way I usually play rivers edge, crow creek, and the ocean ridge courses. All close to the island. Have to head to Myrtle area to get to the top courses which pushes your 30 minute ride especially coming off one of the islands.
As had already been said there are a couple of forum members from that area that can give you better current course condition reports.

I liked River's Edge, but that was years ago.  I also played Lions' Paw and Panther's Run which are close to you.  Oyster Bay was challenge for the high handicap that I was at the time.

I have no idea what these courses are like now, so defer to the local MGS'ers.

• Like 3

I live on the south end and as a rule generally one does not stray too often from their area. Like Kenny said Lions Paw and Panthers run seem to be in good shape most of the time. The Pearl at Calabash was in excellent shape when we played it back around July. Also The Thistle in Calabash those bent greens are always in great shape. But like I said I do not venture that far up north often because I have so many courses on the South end to choose from

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I liked River's Edge, but that was years ago.  I also played Lions' Paw and Panther's Run which are close to you.  Oyster Bay was challenge for the high handicap that I was at the time.

I have no idea what these courses are like now, so defer to the local MGS'ers.

I am seriously trying to think if Oyster Bay is still open

• Like 2

I've been going to MB for 25 years for an annual outing, this list gives you all of your choices.  I have only played most of the medium and high price courses and would play any again, most I have played multiple times.  The Big Cats, Oyster Bay and Rivers Edge would be my recommendations based on where you are staying.    

http://www.northmyrtlebeachgolf.com/golf-courses-north.html

• Like 2

I’ve picked The Legend “Heathland” so far. Looks like my cup of coffee, cause I don’t like tea.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I am seriously trying to think if Oyster Bay is still open

Still open... under Legends Golf umbrella.

• Like 2

I've played all 5 of The Legends courses, in fact that is where I usually stay as about 8 years ago we moved from Bay Tree down there.  Bay Tree closed it's courses about 20 years ago.  All of their offerings are good but a hint, The Legends are notorious for over booking so your round could be pretty long but with your breakfast and lunch included in the price that is not really a bad thing.   Enjoy.  

When you are there you are only about 20 minutes from Big Stu, he and I got together a couple of years ago for lunch and golf talk, it would be worth your time if you two could hook up. 

• Like 4

I've played all 5 of The Legends courses, in fact that is where I usually stay as about 8 years ago we moved from Bay Tree down there.  Bay Tree closed it's courses about 20 years ago.  All of their offerings are good but a hint, The Legends are notorious for over booking so your round could be pretty long but with your breakfast and lunch included in the price that is not really a bad thing.   Enjoy.  

When you are there you are only about 20 minutes from Big Stu, he and I got together a couple of years ago for lunch and golf talk, it would be worth your time if you two could hook up. 

I’m going to try and book a first light round there as soon as we get the travel figured out.

Hopefully they let a single out first, so I can fly around the course.

I’ll be in touch with Stu too!

• Like 1

I am at Sunset Beach several times per year and play every time I am there.  My personal take on best courses when limited to Sunset Beach / Calabash area; Thistle and Leopard's Chase (1 of the 'Big Cat' courses).  There are several others (still in the area) that are good and you should attempt to play them as time allows.  If you limit yourself to the courses east/south of US 17 then all 3 of the Sea Trail courses are pretty good, with my preference being Jones.  All of the other 3 Big Cat courses (Panther, Tiger and Lion) are worth playing.  Sand Piper Bay, Oyster Bay and The Pearl are there and also worth playing.  Be aware that The Pearl just closed 9 of its 36 holes (January, I think) and is now a 27-hole facility.  That being said, it is worth noting that the Thistle and Sand Piper Bay are also 27-hole facilities as well.  As all of the courses I just mentioned are on the beach-side of US 17, they are within 10 to 15 minute drive of the beach. If you are willing to drive up to 30 minutes, your selection is MUCH greater and this post gets much larger.   

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Still open... under Legends Golf umbrella.

Yep I looked and you are correct--- and what makes this so funny is the fact I am a Legends Member too---- Bear bought me that card for my birthday in September and have used it one time at Heritage

• Like 3

Been a looong time since I’ve been at Myrtle Beach area but the choices I’ve recognized are good, Legends, Pearl and Oyster.
Is Arrowhead still around? From what I remember lot of water and tricky stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I'll second the Thistle.  Are the St. James courses private now?  I always liked the Founders Club.  Carolina National was good too.  It's been ages since I've been there.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rickp said:

Been a looong time since I’ve been at Myrtle Beach area but the choices I’ve recognized are good, Legends, Pearl and Oyster.
Is Arrowhead still around? From what I remember lot of water and tricky stuff.

OH yeah Arrowhead is alive and kicking. Love that place a Raymond Floyd designed course

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I'll second the Thistle.  Are the St. James courses private now?  I always liked the Founders Club.  Carolina National was good too.  It's been ages since I've been there.

Founders is a great course--- We used to play big Calcutta matches on it back when it was Sea Gull--- I loved it then and really love it now that it was totally redesigned and rebuilt some 15 years ago now---- Carolina National is up towards Wilmington and one of our former Assistant Pros is up there--- The St James courses I am not familiar with

• Like 2

On 2/13/2020 at 8:29 PM, DawgDaddy said:

You know they just started developing Bay Tree 2 years ago but the did it fast. It will be 2 years this July they finally demolished the big water tower. In fact I hauled every piece of steel from it to our yard not at one time mind you but in about 12 loads. I have the data plate from that water tower hanging in my shop right now. For those of you that do not know you can still Google the images and you will see the tower shaped like a golf ball on a tee. And yep I would love to hook up with any of our fine members. Dawg and I sure had a fine time that day

• Like 3

OH yeah Arrowhead is alive and kicking. Love that place a Raymond Floyd designed course

Good, I liked that track.

• Like 2