Unofficial Review: WHOOP Fitness Tracker

Our Sponsors

Great review! I got a Whoop and did the 6 month commitment, but after about 3 months of consistent use, decided that I would not be continuing my membership after the initial 6 month period. That wasn't because the device was flawed. I found that it was very accurate, and the data was really cool and helpful to see. The most interesting thing to me was definitely being able to quantify how much of an impact alcohol has on your body's ability to recover! Ultimately though, while I found value in it and think it works well, I personally felt that I hit a point of diminishing returns since it effectively quantifies things that I consider common sense - if you eat crap, drink, don't sleep enough, and are stressed, then you're going to recover poorly. Conversely, if you eat healthy, limit your alcohol, manage stress, and sleep a lot, then you're going to feel better and be healthier. On top of that, since I'm not a professional athlete where every minute of my day revolves around training and optimizing performance, I felt that despite knowing what daily behaviors I should try to change, I still had limited ability to enact that change (I have to get up and go to work at a certain time every day, so I can't just sleep an extra 2 hours because Whoop says I need it, ya know?).

So while it was really cool to see some of this stuff quantified to get a sense for the direct impact various factors have on my body's health and performance, I personally felt like I got everything I wanted out of it in about 4-8 weeks, and then it added marginal value to my life. I'm also a watch guy, so I felt like I was sacrificing being able to wear watches I like in order to wear the Whoop. With that in mind, if they added a screen to make it more of full featured smartwatch, then I would be interested again, since I wouldn't mind having that data if the device also added other value. However, the data alone just wasn't enough to keep me using it long term.

Last caveat - I would totally start using it again if I was going to train for something that requires me to craft my daily life around that training (such as a triathlon type event). It would be very helpful for that since it does a good job logging heart rate, exercise, calorie burn, and guiding you on how aggressively to train on a day to day basis given your recovery. But for an average person who just wants to understand a bit more about their body, I felt that it was a cool experience, just not something I need regularly forever.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Just took delivery of my whoop yesterday and really looking forward to seeing the data it produces and if I am able to make some life changes and training habits to maximize my workouts. 

I lost a significant amount of weight in the last 18 months and have gotten into running and will admit I am addicted to the gym now. I have days where I can tell I dont have it but I push through, I want to see what my body is telling me on those days using the tech in the whoop . 

• Like 2

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

After a littles less than a year of using the product has anything changed @edingc  do you still feel it was a good investment? Are you correlating sleep with workout performance? Has it made any differences that you wouldn’t have initially thought?

:titelist-small: TS3 8.5 D Hazardous Smoke Black

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

2 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

After a littles less than a year of using the product has anything changed @edingc  do you still feel it was a good investment? Are you correlating sleep with workout performance? Has it made any differences that you wouldn’t have initially thought?

To be honest, I didn't end up renewing my subscription when it ran out in June. When COVID hit, my wife and I weren't sure about the futures of our jobs, so I couldn't justify $30/month for it (and we also had some house issues requiring a big monetary investment around the same time, unfortunately).

I really liked the WHOOP, but some of the things I learned weren't really things I could continue to improve upon and get better at. For example, WHOOP correlated alcohol consumption in the evenings with greatly reduced sleep quality for me. That's great to know, but once I knew that (and really, it's a no brainer...), what more could the band tell me? Same goes with reading before bed, taking melatonin, ibuprofen etc.

I did really like the calorie expenditure calculations and heart rate monitor. Very, very cool stuff. And I found the recovery scores to be pretty accurate to how I felt on a given day. The tech is for real and works.

If I were to dive back in now, I'd probably go with the Amazon Halo as the pricing is better for much of the same capabilities. I also hate that the battery life was pretty poor, and the weird charger that didn't hold a charge was just flat out inconvenient although the intent was great. 

But the biggest reason it didn't stick with me is probably pretty silly - with no display there wasn't a place to see the current time. I currently wear a $30 Xiaomi Mi Band 3 on my left wrist. Although it is a fitness tracker/pedometer, it gets most of its use as a wrist watch, and with the "Mi Band Tools" app on Android I use it as my silent alarm clock so I don't wake up the wife. I get almost a month out of a charge and does exactly what I want.

• Like 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.7 (Last Updated Nov. 27, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (10.5°, Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 Hybrid Stiff
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver 80 Hybrid X-Stiff
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Shafts TBD
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos / Cobra Connect
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

22 hours ago, edingc said:

To be honest, I didn't end up renewing my subscription when it ran out in June. When COVID hit, my wife and I weren't sure about the futures of our jobs, so I couldn't justify $30/month for it (and we also had some house issues requiring a big monetary investment around the same time, unfortunately).

I really liked the WHOOP, but some of the things I learned weren't really things I could continue to improve upon and get better at. For example, WHOOP correlated alcohol consumption in the evenings with greatly reduced sleep quality for me. That's great to know, but once I knew that (and really, it's a no brainer...), what more could the band tell me? Same goes with reading before bed, taking melatonin, ibuprofen etc.

I did really like the calorie expenditure calculations and heart rate monitor. Very, very cool stuff. And I found the recovery scores to be pretty accurate to how I felt on a given day. The tech is for real and works.

If I were to dive back in now, I'd probably go with the Amazon Halo as the pricing is better for much of the same capabilities. I also hate that the battery life was pretty poor, and the weird charger that didn't hold a charge was just flat out inconvenient although the intent was great. 

But the biggest reason it didn't stick with me is probably pretty silly - with no display there wasn't a place to see the current time. I currently wear a $30 Xiaomi Mi Band 3 on my left wrist. Although it is a fitness tracker/pedometer, it gets most of its use as a wrist watch, and with the "Mi Band Tools" app on Android I use it as my silent alarm clock so I don't wake up the wife. I get almost a month out of a charge and does exactly what I want.

Thanks for all the info. Thought it would be good to look back after a substantial amount of times had passed to see if your review or opinion had changed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

Thanks for all the info. Thought it would be good to look back after a substantial amount of times had passed to see if your review or opinion had changed. 

I really liked the band and without COVID hitting I probably would have renewed, as was my original plan. That being said, I don't particularly miss it. I have looked into other fitness watches (my wife has a Garmin that has interested me a bit), but have not purchased anything yet.

I do question the long-term viability of a $30/month subscription. At that price, you've essentially purchased an Apple Watch every 13 months. As a "non-elite" athlete with a "non-elite" salary, I wish there was a way for them to offer a one-time purchase option.

• Like 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.7 (Last Updated Nov. 27, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (10.5°, Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 Hybrid Stiff
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver 80 Hybrid X-Stiff
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Shafts TBD
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos / Cobra Connect
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

2 minutes ago, edingc said:

I really liked the band and without COVID hitting I probably would have renewed, as was my original plan. That being said, I don't particularly miss it. I have looked into other fitness watches (my wife has a Garmin that has interested me a bit), but have not purchased anything yet.

I do question the long-term viability of a $30/month subscription. At that price, you've essentially purchased an Apple Watch every 13 months. As a "non-elite" athlete with a "non-elite" salary, I wish there was a way for them to offer a one-time purchase option.

I agree and the worst part is that when they originally came out it was a one time purchase fee. I have an Apple Watch currently and always go back and forth between the Whoop. But for the daily functionality it makes my life a littles easier and I’m on my phone half as much time using the watch to check updates. Would it be nice to have a little more health data, sure but I don’t know if $30 a month is worth it

• Like 2