Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Shaft stiffness decision

Hi folks, 

I am 58 years old and looking to get a new set of irons. I will go get fitted but in doing my research online the one question that keeps popping into my mind is, "what shaft stiffness".

So at what age or swing speed should a golfer switch to a "senior" shaft ?  The last I knew my swing speed with a 7 iron was around 77mph. 

I would appreciate some thoughts. 

Thanks folks, Tony R.

Driver- Callaway Rogue ST Max D 9*

Fairways- Ping 425 Max 5 and 7 woods

Irons- Ping 430 6-W Alta65 (power spec) 

Wedges- Vokey 52, 56, 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider 34"

Ball- Srixon Z Star Divide W/Y

Swing speed slow. 7 iron - 77mph

Favorite golf shoes- Ecco all day

Has nothing to do with swing speed. It is about how you load and unload the shaft. Find a place with a mizuno shaft optimizer and see what it recommends. Then try the shaft

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

There’s not standard on shaft stiffness from one brand to then next and even within a brand. No guarantee a shaft that works in one head will work in another.

as @cnosil mentions swing speed is only one aspect of getting the right shaft. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just went through this same quandary. Thought of ordering with specs irons online direct from PXG or Hogan. Best move ever was to go to club champion and get an iron fitting. They had so many shafts and heads it was truly awesome. I am 6’4 so it was great to have the right club length and for them to bend up each head to get me optimum specs on numerous shafts. My club head speed had dropped from my last Ping fitting approx 3 years ago, but the balance of that fitting was spot on except for shaft. I determined through the process that 1. I am mortal., 2. A regular shaft isn’t always regular and the same for stiff. 3. Fitting honed in the best dispersion, spin, carry and roll out for me. 4. I was left with the data and the opportunity to open my wallet and choose what I wanted, could afford and what I could live with.
Goto a true pro shop for this, not Dicks or the galaxy. There are a lot of tricks to the fitting and interpretation of the data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go demo a bunch of clubs on a monitor or go for a fitting, preferably with the ability to hit different stiffness of shafts in the same heads so you can learn the difference for your swing. Irons are precision clubs to fill the gaps between woods/hybrids and wedges. Pick the ones which give you the best dispersion. The only other numbers which need much attention are peak height/descent angle and backspin to determine if they should hold greens. 

For most people, shaft weight is more important than the flex. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

The fitter along with your LM data should get you to the best option.  PING has a the "soft regular" (SR) which sounds less emasculating than "senior"... marketing folks think of everything 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

...  Just as a small example at age 66 I was fit into Modus 120 stiff flex. I also play Recoil 95 in stiff flex after being fit by UST. But in Recoil 95 Prototype it was recommended I play regular flex. And Aerotech advised me to play regular flex with the Steelfiber 95's I just installed in my P790's. I hit my 7 iron 170 and I am using a regular flex iron shaft. Yet I have hit Nippon 950GH in x flex, soft stepped once and they felt perfect. Unless you are very familiar with shafts and know what kind of shaft works best for you and then know how any given OEMs shaft plays for those flexes, it is just about impossible to navigate a choice without help. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

You will find out very soon which shaft you need. You can't go by Stiff, Regular or Senior. Let the person fitting you help you by trying all the shafts available, brand and flex.

Take your time!

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x