TESTERS WANTED! ×

How many different balls do you carry in your bag?

Tsecor

As i was "prepping" my bag for the upcoming season, i went through my stock of golf balls and realized i have 9 different balls in my bag

TP5
TP5x
BX
BXS
Prov1
prov1x
Velocity
Lethal
Mizuno 

Is this a bad thing? I recently heard i should have 1 ball and 1 ball only as most balls are designed to do different things......

how many different balls do you guys carry? is this a big deal? 

Golf is cool

As hard as I'm trying to find the perfect ball and stay with it, I find myself carrying more than one brand. Right now, I have Pro V1, a Snell MTB Black, Bridgestone Tour B X, and a Callaway Warbird in my bag. A few of these I found on the course. I also have a brand new box of Bridgestone Tour B XS in the trunk of my car. It's the previous year's model, but it was on clearance and I couldn't pass it up. I'm not one to go out and buy new equipment all the time, but I'm a sucker for trying different golf balls and switch way too much.
20200215_194422-01.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This was discussed in the ball study and several times after with finditcutit. Not using the same ball during a round more variables to the round. Performance from ball to ball is going to vary as will the potential result. If you start with a Prov1 play that model ball throughout the round. 

unless I’m testing balls against each other and not playing for a score there only one model of ball in my bag

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just my gamer for me. However if I'm on the practice holes my shag bag has every conceivable brand in it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I usually keep two different balls in my bag. A couple sleeves of a high quality (urethane cover) ball, and a couple sleeves of something cheaper for those days I'm slinging them all over the place. I totally buy into playing one ball to eliminate variables, and I get that the stats show it would help my game slightly to play a good quality ball... but I really don't think the woods or the penalty areas care what material the cover is made of... 

Driver:   :cobra-small: Speedzone Xtreme 10.5* ... MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 (s)
Fw woods: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback 14.5*/18.5* ... Fujikura Atmos Blue 7 (s)
Hybrids:   :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback One Length 4hy/5hy ... Fujikura ATMOS 7 ONE Length (s)
Irons:    6-Gw :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal ... Aerotech SteelFiber i95 (s)
Wedges:  :ping-small:  Glide 2.0 Stealth SS 52*/56* ... AWT 2.0 (w)
Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red "L" Neck
Ball:  MfleKCg.jpg Pro

One!  I have one brand of golf balls in my bag and any one given time.  Snell MTB-X.  Occasionally, I'll try a different sleeve of balls or will win a sleeve during Men's Club, but I typically stick with one ball.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Right now, these are the only ones taking up rent. Super consistent, durable and priced very well.

IMG_4160.JPG

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I'm not even going to go look.....

I'd imagine I have 3-4 different brands. I dropped in a sleeve of Maxfli Tour yesterday to try out today. Over the past few months I've been playing some Bridgestones, Titleist, Ksigs, Srixon, TM, and so on. I'm a little like Sirchunk in that I'll switch around and play different balls - particularly if I've never tried one before. I've never bought into playing only one ball as I'm not sold on ball fitting or that my game is so precise that only one ball is good enough for my awesome game. Personally, I've never really noticed any determinable difference in any good quality urethane ball whether that be ball flight, distance*, spin, feel*, and so on. I think they all play and preform well. I can shoot low or high scoring rounds with any of them and not once has the ball been a factor.

* perhaps a minor distance gain or loss and feel off putter face.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Just the one, MTB-X.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Well with me it is kinda funny ( ain't it always) First off I do not carry more than 6 balls because if I am hitting it that bad one of two things are happening I am going to the range or home. At this stage of life it will more than 99% likely home. This week it was 3 Pro V 1x one TP 5x and 2 TM Project A. It was a little cold and windy so I played the Project A. It was a scramble and I used the same ball the entire round. Now I tend to group Vice and Snell balls when I use those. The only Srixon I use is the Soft Feel and I do not like or use Bridgestone balls. Now if I am playing strictly vintage golf it will be more than likely Srixon Soft Feels or Wilson Duo

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

So it looks like 1 is the majority.......I want to try the 2020 AVX this year and I ordered some sample bridgestone balls to test....i wonder how much variability is in each ball in my bag...has anyone really quantified this or is it just an opinion to play 1 ball the whole round. Maybe the 2nd ball is the right one....how would you ever know? 

Golf is cool

19 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

So it looks like 1 is the majority.......I want to try the 2020 AVX this year and I ordered some sample bridgestone balls to test....i wonder how much variability is in each ball in my bag...has anyone really quantified this or is it just an opinion to play 1 ball the whole round. Maybe the 2nd ball is the right one....how would you ever know? 

Hopefully one would test balls on the course and/or get fit then once they have the ball that best fits them they play that ball every round. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

20 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

It's hard to quantify from person to person.  I just spent a ton of time testing the Bridgestone B RXS, and I did some videos in my official review where I tested it against a ProV1, a Titleist AVX and a Srixon Z Star.  But those tests were on specific shots, from specific distances, and not during an official round.

For me personally, it's honestly a bit hard for me to tell much of a difference between most golf balls out there.  Now sure, hitting a Top Flite, versus a ProV1 will bring you dramatic differences.  But when you put a urethane 3 piece ball in play, and hit 4 or 5 different brands of the same type of ball, I don't know that the difference would be detrimental to your ability to score on a golf course.

My answer to the OP though is that I typically keep my gamer in a Crown Royal bag, within the ball pocket of my bag, and then any ball I find on the course that someone else lost, I toss in the ball pocket outside of my Crown Royal bag.  I keep at least 9 balls in the Crown Royal Bag with the ball I am playing an official round with, and like I did last night, I cleaned out the ball pocket of the balls I found on the course.  I've got a laundry basket here in the house full of balls I found on the course.  And honestly, if I wanted to, I could pull from this basket, balls to put into play on the course, and I doubt I would ever run out.  But I've tried to keep to only playing my gamer or whatever ball I am testing, so as not to have an excuse as to why I truly suck, at least from a golf ball perspective.

On a side note, I started bringing my golf bag into the house overnight and when I am not playing.  Leaving golf balls in the bag in the trunk of your car in extreme cold or extreme heat will cause your balls to lose consistency and the characteristics that make it what it is.  Especially in cold weather, I don't need to lose 20 yards, just because my golf balls are like ice from sitting in a cold car all night.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

One when I’m playing, but my stand bag that goes with me to the range has four different kinds in it right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

2.  Anyone with more is a freak.  Anyone with less is generally a war hero.  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

3 different models.  1 sleeve of Snell MTB-X for actual playing, and 6 or so old Titleist Pro-V1/X balls for hitting practice shots on the course (when I'm playing alone) or if I lose the entire sleeve of Snell's before I finish (if I'm on my fourth ball in a round, it doesn't matter what I play that day).  I have a nearly limitless supply of old Pro-Vs.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

16 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I wish there was a way to test golf balls without knowing who made them. I think people would be shocked to find out what ball works best for them. 

there are some youtube videos of that and the results are as expected.....nobody can tell which ball is which. I think TXG has a good one and they all perform the same or so close, the stamp on the outside really doesnt matter

Golf is cool

13 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

there are some youtube videos of that and the results are as expected.....nobody can tell which ball is which. I think TXG has a good one and they all perform the same or so close, the stamp on the outside really doesnt matter

Ignorance is bliss.

Testing balls with camera systems for anything other than initial launch speed and spin is worthless.

You need a radar system, outdoors, to fully capture ball flight to display aerodynamic properties and flight anomalies that may be due to poor QA.

https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

And that doesn't even take into account how different balls feel and react around the greens.

28 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Ignorance is bliss.

Testing balls with camera systems for anything other than initial launch speed and spin is worthless.

You need a radar system, outdoors, to fully capture ball flight to display aerodynamic properties and flight anomalies that may be due to poor QA.

And that doesn't even take into account how different balls feel and react around the greens.

Obviously. But Im not sure anyone is suggesting anything other than that.  

Golf is cool

37 minutes ago, jlukes said:

No need to bring logic into this discussion. 

how do you determine if this helps you score better? Still haven't seen that answer and I doubt anyone can actually figure that out. Opinions are one thing but id like to see someone quantify it somehow. I tend to agree this may be best practice but actually proving this is legit may not be possible.  There are just too many factors on any given day. weather, greens, length of rough, fairway firmness, ect ect ect......Maybe i am ignorant. Who knows

Edited by Tsecor

Golf is cool

57 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

That’s pretty much what Dean Snell has been saying for a long time. We as golfers just need to find the one that we prefer and use it. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

17 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

how do you determine if this helps you score better? Still haven't seen that answer and I doubt anyone can actually figure that out. Opinions are one thing but id like to see someone quantify it somehow. I tend to agree this may be best practice but actually proving this is legit may not be possible.  There are just too many factors on any given day. weather, greens, length of rough, fairway firmness, ect ect ect......Maybe i am ignorant. Who knows

There isn't going to be one magic ball that knocks 2 strokes of your game.  There is going to be a couple of balls that best fit your game.

Take a few to the practice green and see which ones you like chipping and putting with the most.  General rule of thumb is play the firmest ball you can tolerate because that is going to give you the best overall performance.  Feel is merely feel.  Marketing sells feel as spin, but that isn't the case.

"Today, most golf balls go the same distance off the tee. But they are much different from 100 yards and in. I recommend playing 6 to 9 holes, from 100 yards and in. Take both balls out and hit shots from 100 yards, 70 yards, 30 yards, chips, putts. Choose the ball that your prefer for feel, spin, launch and control. Then take that ball back to the tee, and optimize your driver with todays adjustable technology, and you have a complete tee to green ball fitting. Now enjoy the game."  ~ Dean Snell

41 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Ignorance is bliss.

ive read that article 10x and looked at those charts 500x which is probably why i have 9 different golf balls in my bag.....so many great options. I just wonder if its really costing me strokes as the article suggests. 

Golf is cool

35 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

Results will vary by user. A Prov1 may work for my game and not for someone else’s with similar skill set and or swing speed.

if you take 5 balls you are interested to the course and test them from green to tee you will find the one that works best for your game. Will one perform better for you in short game vs another but not as good with long irons? Possibly. the purpose of each person testing on the course is the one that helps them play their best.