TESTERS WANTED! ×

How many different balls do you carry in your bag?

Tsecor

15 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I think picking one ball that fits you and staying with it every round benefits you more than choosing one set of clubs and sticking with them! 

wow...that's a bold statement!....and THAT would be a great subject for someone to study......

Golf is cool

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

wow...this a bold statement!....and THAT would be a great subject for someone to study......

I think most anyone who has been an active member here for a couple years wouldn't call it bold, but would understand where I"m coming from 😉

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I think most anyone who has been an active member here for a couple years wouldn't call it bold, but would understand where I"m coming from 😉

i get it and i meant bold in a good way, as in, MSG should use this as a grounds for testing....

I personally disagree on the "1 ball all the time" thing because there are so many factors that go into a round of golf that one ball cannot possibly maximize your scoring for all lengths, distances, fairway conditions, green conditions, wind, moisture, small greens, large greens.on and on and on......there are just too many considerations to say any one ball is the best or any one ball maximizes your ability to score.   

Golf is cool

29 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

i get it and i meant bold in a good way, as in, MSG should use this as a grounds for testing....

I personally disagree on the "1 ball all the time" thing because there are so many factors that go into a round of golf that one ball cannot possibly maximize your scoring for all lengths, distances, fairway conditions, green conditions, wind, moisture, small greens, large greens.on and on and on......there are just too many considerations to say any one ball is the best or any one ball maximizes your ability to score.   

With all those “variables” how would you know which of the dozen different balls to use on a hole? On the tee box you won’t know if the green is hard or soft. Not to mention you are supposed to finish the hole with the ball you started with so what happens if you have a ball that’s good in the wind off driver but not so good in the wind with irons, or it’s good for soft greens but not so great out of the rough?

The concept of playing one ball is that it eliminates a variable. One would choose a ball to play an entire round or the entire season with based on testing in various conditions like wind, soft and hard greens and so on.  

It really seems like you are trying to find someone to agree with you to justify your decision to not test and find the right ball and/or to tell you what ball or club to play. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

30 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

With all those “variables” how would you know which of the dozen different balls to use on a hole? On the tee box you won’t know if the green is hard or soft. Not to mention you are supposed to finish the hole with the ball you started with so what happens if you have a ball that’s good in the wind off driver but not so good in the wind with irons, or it’s good for soft greens but not so great out of the rough?

The concept of playing one ball is that it eliminates a variable. One would choose a ball to play an entire round or the entire season with based on testing in various conditions like wind, soft and hard greens and so on.  

It really seems like you are trying to find someone to agree with you to justify your decision to not test and find the right ball and/or to tell you what ball or club to play. 

Just talking here bud......its not a debate or an attempt "to find someone to agree with you to justify your decision to not test and find the right ball and/or to tell you what ball or club to play" 

if you dont like what I have to say, you really dont have to respond.....its not that deep, its just talking about golf. jeez

Golf is cool

13 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

Just talking here bud......its not a debate or an attempt "to find someone to agree with you to justify your decision to not test and find the right ball and/or to tell you what ball or club to play" 

if you dont like what I have to say, you really dont have to respond.....its not that deep, its just talking about golf. jeez

It is a debate when you say a push for something is bs. You have claimed marketing stuff is bs in the sim thread. Iirc you have discredited YouTube reviewers yet you post in equipment threads wondering why a review isn’t out yet.  MGS has done all kinds of testing on various aspects of golf to include playing a mixed bag will be better for golfers than a single oem bag and their ball testing and the #finditcuit have suggested that playing one ball a round is better than introducing an additional variable of balls that could either be flawed like an off center core or how they will react compared to another ball and thus ended up with an unexpected result which could lead to the golfer thinking it was them when really it was the ball.

I disagree to a point with the play a mixed bag but I don’t think it bs or nonsense. Every golfer has different needs/wants in a club and it’s possible that one oem can’t meet those. Someone may need a hybrid that isn’t draw biased but based on design the maker of their irons doesn’t offer that so it wouldn’t benefit them to stock with that brand. 

Based on your bias of the concept of playing one ball a round you come up with thousands and scenarios and variables that in some cases contradict yourself. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

57 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It is a debate when you say a push for something is bs. You have claimed marketing stuff is bs in the sim thread. Iirc you have discredited YouTube reviewers yet you post in equipment threads wondering why a review isn’t out yet.  MGS has done all kinds of testing on various aspects of golf to include playing a mixed bag will be better for golfers than a single oem bag and their ball testing and the #finditcuit have suggested that playing one ball a round is better than introducing an additional variable of balls that could either be flawed like an off center core or how they will react compared to another ball and thus ended up with an unexpected result which could lead to the golfer thinking it was them when really it was the ball.

I disagree to a point with the play a mixed bag but I don’t think it bs or nonsense. Every golfer has different needs/wants in a club and it’s possible that one oem can’t meet those. Someone may need a hybrid that isn’t draw biased but based on design the maker of their irons doesn’t offer that so it wouldn’t benefit them to stock with that brand. 

Based on your bias of the concept of playing one ball a round you come up with thousands and scenarios and variables that in some cases contradict yourself. 

frankly im not into the back and forth debate you seem to want because its just not productive. But you have been combative and argumentative in many threads of people with differing opinions and people who ask open and honest questions. Have fun with that bc you obviously have missed the point(s) on many occasions so if you want a heated back and forth debate, im not your guy. There is another site for that. So, ill just not respond to any other issues you have with me or others.  Cheers

Golf is cool

2 hours ago, Tsecor said:

What is the difference between 1 ball or 1 club? Would you carry multiple drivers to play different holes in the same round? The reason to find 1 ball and play it is predictability. With 1 ball you know what it will do. Changing balls adds another variable to a game that is played best when as many variables as possible are eliminated. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

2 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

What is the difference between 1 ball or 1 club? Would you carry multiple drivers to play different holes in the same round? The reason to find 1 ball and play it is predictability. With 1 ball you know what it will do. Changing balls adds another variable to a game that is played best when as many variables as possible are eliminated. 

maybe not driver, but i did see phil carry multiple driving irons i think...i understand one variable is eliminated and that makes sense. obviously picking a ball that flies far and high can be a big advantage of the tee. And trust me, im not saying one ball all the time doesnt work, i just question it because of the 100 variables on each swing that change with every shot. I think it would be cool if pros could change the ball on each shot if they wished.  

Golf is cool

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

maybe not driver, but i did see phil carry multiple driving irons i think...i understand one variable is eliminated and that makes sense. obviously picking a ball that flies far and high can be a big advantage of the tee. And trust me, im not saying one ball all the time doesnt work, i just question it because of the 100 variables on each swing that change with every shot. I think it would be cool if pros could change the ball on each shot if they wished.  

Actually Phil did use 2 different drivers at Augusta a few years back. One that was longer draw biased and one that was shorter that he could fade easier. It would be nice to be able to change balls for a particular shot, but we aren’t allowed. Dean Snell promotes finding a golf ball that you like from 100 yards and in. Most tour style golf balls are very close distance wise from the tee. So he says to find something for the short game. I tend to listen to him. After all he is the mastermind behind the Prov and Orignal TP series golf balls. I think he knows a little bit about it. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

1 hour ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Actually Phil did use 2 different drivers at Augusta a few years back. One that was longer draw biased and one that was shorter that he could fade easier. It would be nice to be able to change balls for a particular shot, but we aren’t allowed. Dean Snell promotes finding a golf ball that you like from 100 yards and in. Most tour style golf balls are very close distance wise from the tee. So he says to find something for the short game. I tend to listen to him. After all he is the mastermind behind the Prov and Orignal TP series golf balls. I think he knows a little bit about it. 

snell is the man, thats for sure

Golf is cool

On 2/20/2020 at 4:02 PM, BIG STU said:

It was not a rumor it was a fact--- The Surlyn covered balls over time would destroy the pressed paper faces or fiber faces as we called them. The hard plastic faces naaw

I never chewed up an insert, but I split the head on every one of my dad's Eye-O-Matic's.  The 1, 3 and 5.  Also a Cobra Baffler 4 wood.  Pops was not pleased.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

7 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I never chewed up an insert, but I split the head on every one of my dad's Eye-O-Matic's.  The 1, 3 and 5.  Also a Cobra Baffler 4 wood.  Pops was not pleased.

Seriously one of two things were going on there or maybe both at the same time. Those heads must have been dry and brittle or you have some serious swing speed and impact. In all my years playing persimmon I only cracked one and I swear to this day it was defective from day one because I bought it new and it never hit anything but balata balls period. A master club maker friend of mine brought her back to life 3 times. The last split was fatal hitting a Maxfli HT Balata. The ones I have now I hit anything with them with no problem of course now I don't swing hard enough to crack an egg

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

17 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I know exactly where you are coming from of course it seems I have known you from the dawn of time--- Well at least through 2 golf sites and probably one of the few on here that knows what CG stands for---- But you and I have always tended to think on the same lines--- Must be the Carolina Connection

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

13 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I have done that in the past and will more than likely do that at my new home course this summer. But per my SOP it is dammed odd what I do. And I have done this in mini tour events too. I will like pull my 4 wood now 3 wood then and put in a 10.5* Persimmon driver. There are certain holes i can not hit the driver on but can not reach the turn of the dog leg on with a 3 or 4 wood so I pack the lumber. And if I have to I can still hit the lumber off the deck. Lately in that situation I pack a 1957 Macgregor 2 wood that is around 12.5* . When I play my vintage rounds I will hit several off the deck with it or my driver to keep in practice. Yep sometimes I change clubs in the bag to hit certain shots on certain courses. But like I said and you will learn me over time I do some odd ball stuff equipment wise but do not recommend it for everyone 

G

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I know exactly where you are coming from of course it seems I have known you from the dawn of time--- Well at least through 2 golf sites and probably one of the few on here that knows what CG stands for---- But you and I have always tended to think on the same lines--- Must be the Carolina Connection

Thinking along the same line as you, is one of the biggest compliments Ive gotten on Forum.  Thanks buddy.  And Carolina connections run deep.  
if it wasn’t for this little lady i ❤️ so much.  I would have moved back there about 15 years ago. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Thinking along the same line as you, is one of the biggest compliments Ive gotten on Forum.  Thanks buddy.  And Carolina connections run deep.  
if it wasn’t for this little lady i ❤️ so much.  I would have moved back there about 15 years ago. 

Well one has to go where the heart leads you--- But at heart you are Carolina rooted and no one can take that blessing from you

G

On 2/20/2020 at 7:58 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I think picking one ball that fits you and staying with it every round benefits you more than choosing one set of clubs and sticking with them! 

Considering you change clubs more often than I get a haircut, I'm not surprised by this take. 😉

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

16 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Seriously one of two things were going on there or maybe both at the same time. Those heads must have been dry and brittle or you have some serious swing speed and impact. In all my years playing persimmon I only cracked one and I swear to this day it was defective from day one because I bought it new and it never hit anything but balata balls period. A master club maker friend of mine brought her back to life 3 times. The last split was fatal hitting a Maxfli HT Balata. The ones I have now I hit anything with them with no problem of course now I don't swing hard enough to crack an egg

I'm pretty sure they were defective, but the number of range rocks I hit with them probably didn't help either.  I was always pulling the Eye-O-Matics out of my dad's bag and playing them.  I had (actually still have) a vintage Tommy Armour MacGregor 693 driver that never split, and the same with my old Sounder Seve Ballesteros model.  And with all the rounds I caddied, I never saw a guy split a persimmon wood. 

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino