Tsecor

How many different balls do you carry in your bag?

Our Sponsors

As i was "prepping" my bag for the upcoming season, i went through my stock of golf balls and realized i have 9 different balls in my bag

TP5
TP5x
BX
BXS
Prov1
prov1x
Velocity
Lethal
Mizuno 

Is this a bad thing? I recently heard i should have 1 ball and 1 ball only as most balls are designed to do different things......

how many different balls do you guys carry? is this a big deal? 

As hard as I'm trying to find the perfect ball and stay with it, I find myself carrying more than one brand. Right now, I have Pro V1, a Snell MTB Black, Bridgestone Tour B X, and a Callaway Warbird in my bag. A few of these I found on the course. I also have a brand new box of Bridgestone Tour B XS in the trunk of my car. It's the previous year's model, but it was on clearance and I couldn't pass it up. I'm not one to go out and buy new equipment all the time, but I'm a sucker for trying different golf balls and switch way too much.
20200215_194422-01.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

This was discussed in the ball study and several times after with finditcutit. Not using the same ball during a round more variables to the round. Performance from ball to ball is going to vary as will the potential result. If you start with a Prov1 play that model ball throughout the round. 

unless I’m testing balls against each other and not playing for a score there only one model of ball in my bag

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just one. 

• Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* LST VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

Just my gamer for me. However if I'm on the practice holes my shag bag has every conceivable brand in it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

I usually keep two different balls in my bag. A couple sleeves of a high quality (urethane cover) ball, and a couple sleeves of something cheaper for those days I'm slinging them all over the place. I totally buy into playing one ball to eliminate variables, and I get that the stats show it would help my game slightly to play a good quality ball... but I really don't think the woods or the penalty areas care what material the cover is made of... 

• Like 4

One!  I have one brand of golf balls in my bag and any one given time.  Snell MTB-X.  Occasionally, I'll try a different sleeve of balls or will win a sleeve during Men's Club, but I typically stick with one ball.

• Like 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I alternate between a Tour Bx and the AVX depending on the firmness of the greens that day. I can spin the Bx around the greens.

Once in a while I'll try a different ball but that is getting rare.

Right now, these are the only ones taking up rent. Super consistent, durable and priced very well.

IMG_4160.JPG

• Like 3

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

I'm not even going to go look.....

I'd imagine I have 3-4 different brands. I dropped in a sleeve of Maxfli Tour yesterday to try out today. Over the past few months I've been playing some Bridgestones, Titleist, Ksigs, Srixon, TM, and so on. I'm a little like Sirchunk in that I'll switch around and play different balls - particularly if I've never tried one before. I've never bought into playing only one ball as I'm not sold on ball fitting or that my game is so precise that only one ball is good enough for my awesome game. Personally, I've never really noticed any determinable difference in any good quality urethane ball whether that be ball flight, distance*, spin, feel*, and so on. I think they all play and preform well. I can shoot low or high scoring rounds with any of them and not once has the ball been a factor.

* perhaps a minor distance gain or loss and feel off putter face.

• Like 2

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Just the one, MTB-X.

• Like 1

In the bag:
:taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 4-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4
:cleveland-small: Smartsole S
:yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

Testing: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Well with me it is kinda funny ( ain't it always) First off I do not carry more than 6 balls because if I am hitting it that bad one of two things are happening I am going to the range or home. At this stage of life it will more than 99% likely home. This week it was 3 Pro V 1x one TP 5x and 2 TM Project A. It was a little cold and windy so I played the Project A. It was a scramble and I used the same ball the entire round. Now I tend to group Vice and Snell balls when I use those. The only Srixon I use is the Soft Feel and I do not like or use Bridgestone balls. Now if I am playing strictly vintage golf it will be more than likely Srixon Soft Feels or Wilson Duo

• Like 5

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

So it looks like 1 is the majority.......I want to try the 2020 AVX this year and I ordered some sample bridgestone balls to test....i wonder how much variability is in each ball in my bag...has anyone really quantified this or is it just an opinion to play 1 ball the whole round. Maybe the 2nd ball is the right one....how would you ever know? 

• Like 2

I carry Chrome soft Truvis. The only other balls in my bag are the crap ProV and Bridgestone I find in the woods while looking for my playing partners lost golf ball in the woods. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

19 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

So it looks like 1 is the majority.......I want to try the 2020 AVX this year and I ordered some sample bridgestone balls to test....i wonder how much variability is in each ball in my bag...has anyone really quantified this or is it just an opinion to play 1 ball the whole round. Maybe the 2nd ball is the right one....how would you ever know? 

Hopefully one would test balls on the course and/or get fit then once they have the ball that best fits them they play that ball every round. 

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

20 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

It's hard to quantify from person to person.  I just spent a ton of time testing the Bridgestone B RXS, and I did some videos in my official review where I tested it against a ProV1, a Titleist AVX and a Srixon Z Star.  But those tests were on specific shots, from specific distances, and not during an official round.

For me personally, it's honestly a bit hard for me to tell much of a difference between most golf balls out there.  Now sure, hitting a Top Flite, versus a ProV1 will bring you dramatic differences.  But when you put a urethane 3 piece ball in play, and hit 4 or 5 different brands of the same type of ball, I don't know that the difference would be detrimental to your ability to score on a golf course.

My answer to the OP though is that I typically keep my gamer in a Crown Royal bag, within the ball pocket of my bag, and then any ball I find on the course that someone else lost, I toss in the ball pocket outside of my Crown Royal bag.  I keep at least 9 balls in the Crown Royal Bag with the ball I am playing an official round with, and like I did last night, I cleaned out the ball pocket of the balls I found on the course.  I've got a laundry basket here in the house full of balls I found on the course.  And honestly, if I wanted to, I could pull from this basket, balls to put into play on the course, and I doubt I would ever run out.  But I've tried to keep to only playing my gamer or whatever ball I am testing, so as not to have an excuse as to why I truly suck, at least from a golf ball perspective.

On a side note, I started bringing my golf bag into the house overnight and when I am not playing.  Leaving golf balls in the bag in the trunk of your car in extreme cold or extreme heat will cause your balls to lose consistency and the characteristics that make it what it is.  Especially in cold weather, I don't need to lose 20 yards, just because my golf balls are like ice from sitting in a cold car all night.

• Like 2

• :ping-small: G400 Driver, 3 Fairway
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Irons - 18° & 21°
  • :Hogan: Ft. Worth Hi Utility Iron - 24°
  • :callaway-small: Forged Razr X 6-A Wedge irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 54° & 58°
  • :ping-small: Sigma2 Tyne Putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:NX7 Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I wish there was a way to test golf balls without knowing who made them. I think people would be shocked to find out what ball works best for them. 

• Like 4

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

One when I’m playing, but my stand bag that goes with me to the range has four different kinds in it right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

2.  Anyone with more is a freak.  Anyone with less is generally a war hero.  

• Haha 6

• Driver: Taylormade M1
  • 4 wood:  Cobra X-Speed
  • 3 Hybrid: PXG 0317xf
  • 5 Hybrid: PXG 0317xf
  • Irons 6 - PW: PXG 0211
  • GW 49* SW 53* LW 57*: Yri Uri
  • Putter:  Big Oak Havana

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

3 different models.  1 sleeve of Snell MTB-X for actual playing, and 6 or so old Titleist Pro-V1/X balls for hitting practice shots on the course (when I'm playing alone) or if I lose the entire sleeve of Snell's before I finish (if I'm on my fourth ball in a round, it doesn't matter what I play that day).  I have a nearly limitless supply of old Pro-Vs.

• Like 3

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino