Tsecor

How many different balls do you carry in your bag?

Our Sponsors

16 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I wish there was a way to test golf balls without knowing who made them. I think people would be shocked to find out what ball works best for them. 

there are some youtube videos of that and the results are as expected.....nobody can tell which ball is which. I think TXG has a good one and they all perform the same or so close, the stamp on the outside really doesnt matter

13 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

there are some youtube videos of that and the results are as expected.....nobody can tell which ball is which. I think TXG has a good one and they all perform the same or so close, the stamp on the outside really doesnt matter

Ignorance is bliss.

Testing balls with camera systems for anything other than initial launch speed and spin is worthless.

You need a radar system, outdoors, to fully capture ball flight to display aerodynamic properties and flight anomalies that may be due to poor QA.

https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

And that doesn't even take into account how different balls feel and react around the greens.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Hopefully one would test balls on the course and/or get fit then once they have the ball that best fits them they play that ball every round. 

No need to bring logic into this discussion. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Ignorance is bliss.

Testing balls with camera systems for anything other than initial launch speed and spin is worthless.

You need a radar system, outdoors, to fully capture ball flight to display aerodynamic properties and flight anomalies that may be due to poor QA.

And that doesn't even take into account how different balls feel and react around the greens.

Obviously. But Im not sure anyone is suggesting anything other than that.  

37 minutes ago, jlukes said:

No need to bring logic into this discussion. 

how do you determine if this helps you score better? Still haven't seen that answer and I doubt anyone can actually figure that out. Opinions are one thing but id like to see someone quantify it somehow. I tend to agree this may be best practice but actually proving this is legit may not be possible.  There are just too many factors on any given day. weather, greens, length of rough, fairway firmness, ect ect ect......Maybe i am ignorant. Who knows

Edited by Tsecor
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

That’s pretty much what Dean Snell has been saying for a long time. We as golfers just need to find the one that we prefer and use it. 

17 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

how do you determine if this helps you score better? Still haven't seen that answer and I doubt anyone can actually figure that out. Opinions are one thing but id like to see someone quantify it somehow. I tend to agree this may be best practice but actually proving this is legit may not be possible.  There are just too many factors on any given day. weather, greens, length of rough, fairway firmness, ect ect ect......Maybe i am ignorant. Who knows

There isn't going to be one magic ball that knocks 2 strokes of your game.  There is going to be a couple of balls that best fit your game.

Take a few to the practice green and see which ones you like chipping and putting with the most.  General rule of thumb is play the firmest ball you can tolerate because that is going to give you the best overall performance.  Feel is merely feel.  Marketing sells feel as spin, but that isn't the case.

"Today, most golf balls go the same distance off the tee. But they are much different from 100 yards and in. I recommend playing 6 to 9 holes, from 100 yards and in. Take both balls out and hit shots from 100 yards, 70 yards, 30 yards, chips, putts. Choose the ball that your prefer for feel, spin, launch and control. Then take that ball back to the tee, and optimize your driver with todays adjustable technology, and you have a complete tee to green ball fitting. Now enjoy the game."  ~ Dean Snell

• Like 4

I play one unless I'm testing another ball or just messing around.  With that being said, I do like trying new golf balls from time to time.

41 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Ignorance is bliss.

ive read that article 10x and looked at those charts 500x which is probably why i have 9 different golf balls in my bag.....so many great options. I just wonder if its really costing me strokes as the article suggests. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

Results will vary by user. A Prov1 may work for my game and not for someone else’s with similar skill set and or swing speed.

if you take 5 balls you are interested to the course and test them from green to tee you will find the one that works best for your game. Will one perform better for you in short game vs another but not as good with long irons? Possibly. the purpose of each person testing on the course is the one that helps them play their best.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Results will vary by user. A Prov1 may work for my game and not for someone else’s with similar skill set and or swing speed.

if you take 5 balls you are interested to the course and test them from green to tee you will find the one that works best for your game. Will one perform better for you in short game vs another but not as good with long irons? Possibly. the purpose of each person testing on the course is the one that helps them play their best.

good point. i guess it becomes about feel at that point since most "tour level" type balls spin approx the same from 100 yards and in. from what i can tell, the vast majority of balls spin within 400 rpms of each other ( a few are higher, but lack in other areas), so not really enough to make a significant impact. The closer you get, the smaller the difference.  Finding that "do it all ball" is the struggle. 

TP5 and Prov1 were the two that stood out last season to me, but i question TM's QC because when i tried the TP5x, i couldnt keep that from flying all over the place. 

33 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

ive read that article 10x and looked at those charts 500x which is probably why i have 9 different golf balls in my bag.....so many great options. I just wonder if its really costing me strokes as the article suggests. 

It is possible that it is costing you strokes. If you are used to the way ball stops around the greens and then you switch to a different ball, and it reacts differently, ie. It checks to quickly, or rolls out too much, then you will find yourself in an area you weren’t expecting, so instead of having 3 feet for par it’s 10 feet short, or maybe 20 feet long. That costs you strokes. From and tee and irons I think most golf balls are similar, it’s around the green that makes a difference in scoring. I think it has more to do with the consistency of what you expect to happen than it is the ball itself. Changing the ball all the time changes the consistency of what you expect the ball to do when it lands on the green. It doesn’t matter what ball you use if you can play the same consistent shot with it and have the expected results of that shot. When we don’t know what the ball is going to do is where we lose strokes. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

good point. i guess it becomes about feel at that point since most "tour level" type balls spin approx the same from 100 yards and in. from what i can tell, the vast majority of balls spin within 400 rpms of each other ( a few are higher, but lack in other areas), so not really enough to make a significant impact. The closer you get, the smaller the difference.  Finding that "do it all ball" is the struggle. 

TP5 and Prov1 were the two that stood out last season to me, but i question TM's QC because when i tried the TP5x, i couldnt keep that from flying all over the place. 

There’s not a one ball fits all just like no club fits all. It has to be about what works for you and gives you the expected results every time.

Is it TMs QC or maybe the spin and design of the tp5x doesn’t fit your game?

Based on what you posted in the chrome soft thread a lower compression ball fits your needs better than a higher compression one does.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There’s not a one ball fits all just like no club fits all. It has to be about what works for you and gives you the expected results every time.

Is it TMs QC or maybe the spin and design of the tp5x doesn’t fit your game?

Based on what you posted in the chrome soft thread a lower compression ball fits your needs better than a higher compression one does.

yea..i loved the chromesoft but i did shoot my one lowest round with the TP5 and hit the longest drive of my life with it......but the CS seemed to work for me from a consistency standpoint......its funny but a few years ago the TM Lethal was the best ball i had ever used....then they discontinued it....i wonder how close the TP5 is to the Lethal

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

yea..i loved the chromesoft but i did shoot my one lowest round with the TP5 and hit the longest drive of my life with it......but the CS seemed to work for me from a consistency standpoint......its funny but a few years ago the TM Lethal was the best ball i had ever used....then they discontinued it....i wonder how close the TP5 is to the Lethal

Never played the lethal so have no info/input on comparisons to it. For the tp5 and 5x they were close in overall performance. I found the 5x to be longer and performed better in the wind. Wayward shots with 5x had the tendency to be worse than the 5 but that’s something I’m used to with the prov1 and 1x.

Being that you perform better with a lower compression ball I would suggest the Bridgestone rx and rxs.

One option for you would be to take all the “x” versions of balls you like/have (TP5x, prov1x, bx,bxs,csx)play a handful of holes with them all each hole and see which one performs best from tee to green. Some may be better in other areas but there is bound to be 1 or more that out perform the rest.

Then test the non “x” (Prov1, tp5, cs, rx,rxs & any others you have). Do the same test to see what wins out.

then take the winners from both categories against each other and see which is the true winner(s)

17 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Never played the lethal so have no info/input on comparisons to it. For the tp5 and 5x they were close in overall performance. 

Being that you perform better with a lower compression ball I would suggest the Bridgestone rx and rxs.

Here was the description of the Lethal

TAYLORMADE LETHAL - 2012

Lowdown: The Lethal ball was a five-piece 322 dimpled ball designed with low spin off the driver and medium spin off the short irons. 

Performance: Another great ball in the wind. Probably the most penetrating golf ball TaylorMade had ever made up until 2012. Great levels of spin around the greens and superb green side feel out of sand. Also very long on center hits off the tee. Justin Rose put the ball into play immediately at the end of 2012 to win a tournament a month later before helping Europe win the Ryder Cup

I am definitely going to try the the RXS.....according to its design, it fits 105mph swing speed and I am right there.....if its good enough for Fred Couples, i can certainly use it..lol

here is the MGS review of the lethal.....it seems to align more with the TP5X since its 87 compression and the TP5 is 80.  

https://mygolfspy.com/taylormade-lethal-ball-review/

Edited by Tsecor

I used to be a 'whatever is cheapest / find out there in the woods' guy.....but since mid-season 2019 I have been a 1-ball guy.....TM TP5 for me

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 9:29 PM, bens197 said:

Right now, these are the only ones taking up rent. Super consistent, durable and priced very well.

IMG_4160.JPG

That's such a great ball. 

• Like 2

That's such a great ball. 

It really is. I could easily find a fault or two with other urethane balls that I’ve put it up against.

It feels good to not have to compromise on a ball. I don’t have $45-50 to spend per dozen so this really is a big winner for me and my family.
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, ga_pike said:

2.  Anyone with more is a freak.  Anyone with less is generally a war hero.  

HMMMM!! ROTFLMFAO!!!------ Now to set the record straight we are talking golf balls here---- But hey you brought it up since you did here goes-----

My Old Man was a Quail hunter and raised bird dogs mostly setters. Some of his dogs were general hunting dogs and some were field trial dogs. He had one that was not only a field trial champion but a darn good general pointing dog. That dog was born with one ball no joke. That dog ended up siring 10 different litters of pups. My old man made a small fortune on stud fees with that dog--------- Sorry guys to thread jack BUT he did bring it up

• Haha 3