TESTERS WANTED! ×

Callaway & Taylormade – Something Fishy Going On?

• SPY VIP

golf-patent-banner2.gif

Other Designers Agree…Something Fishy Going On

(Written by: GolfSpy_X) Ok…something fishy is going on. I just got off the phone with a couple current and past golf club designers that know their stuff. I will get to the details in regards to our conversation a little further down in this post. Before I get into that I have to say that when I first saw this patent application I was baffled, and it seems so were they.

READ FULL ARTICLE: http://www.mygolfspy...le-sole-patent/

#TruthDigest

I'd be shocked- SHOCKED!- of this were true. Adding two and two to get five, it kind of explains why their clubs are cloned the most. They probably don't have complete control of their designs. I've heard elsewhere (where exactly, I can't remember) that TMaG has the foundries handle their R&D, but I've never seen any actual proof.

Here's something I stumbled upon:

I was rereading Frank Thomas' book "Just Hit It" (p. 67), and in it he discusses the true innovations of golf: Solheim's investment casting for irons/wedges, Solheim's discovery of perimeter weighting (first with putters, then with irons) and the discovery of Ti as a viable use in metal woods.

The premise was, Taylormade came up with the idea of metal woods first (the "Pittsburgh Persimmon"). Everyone eventually copied the idea, but Callaway ran away with it. They made clubs bigger and bigger, eventually getting to 250cc. They wanted to go bigger, but steel couldn't withstand the beating, so titanium was used. As the heads grew ever larger, Mr. Thomas was made aware of a new discovery... the springiness of the oversized driver's faces. The perp? Callaway. The informant? Taylormade.

Maybe there's something to be said about desperate times making strange bedfellows...

Here's something I stumbled upon:

The premise was, Taylormade came up with the idea of metal woods first (the "Pittsburgh Persimmon"). Everyone eventually copied the idea, but Callaway ran away with it. They made clubs bigger and bigger, eventually getting to 250cc. They wanted to go bigger, but steel couldn't withstand the beating, so titanium was used. As the heads grew ever larger, Mr. Thomas was made aware of a new discovery... the springiness of the oversized driver's faces. The perp? Callaway. The informant? Taylormade.

Maybe there's something to be said about desperate times making strange bedfellows...

It was not so much "...They wanted to go bigger, but steel couldn't withstand the beating, so titanium was used....". It was a matter of steel, being less brittle, needing more thickness and therefore more weight. The head was becoming too heavy and size would have found it's limit if Titanium hadn't conveniently also recently, at that time, become cheaper and more workable due to the discovery of better and cheaper processing. Callaway put the two together and benefited by becoming a Golf giant.

Whereas the Pittsburg Persimmon was essentially a copy of the persimmon in steel, the only effective difference was the golfer's confidence that he could whale away at the ball without making a mess with bad hits, and testing new shafts became everybody's prerogative because shafts could now be changed with greater ease than with persimmon clubs. Taylor Made also benefited but were overtaken by Callaway's large clubs.

I doubt they were bedfellows. More likely, there was a healthy competition for market dominance and the one who better exploited engineering and material discoveries reaped the rewards.

Shambles

Archived