Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Swing Weight when reducing shaft length?

perseveringgolfer

I believe the swing weight changes when you take an inch off the handle end of a shaft? Not sure I understand why so if anyone can elaborate with knowledge that would help.

My question is, does this same change happen if you grip down the shaft an inch?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Swing weight is more a function of the fulcrum, in the sense of how heavy the head feels during the swing. If I shorten the club, I change the balance point and decrease the swing weight. 

It is relatable to the idea of holding something close to your chest vs holding the same thing with extended arms. It will feel heavier. 

In theory, choking down will change the swing weight, and lead to the club playing fractionally stiffer. Depending on how much you choke down, it will also effect launch. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Take a broom and hold it straight out so it’s parallel to the ground.

Grip it at the end - that weight would resemble a heavier swing weight.

Now choke up a foot - that weight would represent a cut down club and thus, a lighter swing weight.

The weight would feel lower if you choked up but the gross weight of the club would remain unchanged.

Removing length would both reduce the gross weight as well as lighten the swing weight.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Thanks guys, so it will feel lighter meaning potentially faster SS and slightly stiffer without the extra weight of stiffer shafts?

Everyone I know who tries this says it works for them, initially.

Tommy Fleetwood seems to grip down about 3-4 inches on his driver rather than have it cut down. Must be a good reason for that.

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

21 hours ago, jlukes said:

It also means potentially less swing speed because shafts are a timing device and the lighter swing weight can throw off your timing. 

..or improve it.

• 1 month later...

Great explanations on swing weight vs gross weight.

Key distinction to be made in speed.  Mfrs seem to be focused on building drivers that will generate higher club head speed. That's why the top pro-line drivers these days have a stock length of 45.5 to 45.75 inches. Longer shaft creates wider arc which creates higher club head speed or swing speed.

But what really matters is ball speed.

A shorter shaft will have a lower maximum club head speed, but can allow for better center-face contact which in turn leads to better ball speed.  Better ball speed gets you the distance.  You will also likely hit more fairways more often. From experience, I went from roughly 40% fairways hit to over 55% going to shorter shaft. Distance was about the same, sometimes a little shorter. But if my approach goes from an 8-iron in the rough to a 7-iron in the fairway, I will take the fairway all the time.

From what I read and hear thru pods, most touring pro's are playing shorter shafts than stock retail product.  Cobra offers a Tour Length option (44.5"). Think that came from Rickie gaming a 43.5" driver.

Last thing, would suggest not shortening an existing driver, but rather ordering a shorter shaft on a new driver and have the factory match the right swing weight from the get go.

Good luck.

:cobra-small: F9 9* Atmos Tour Spec Black 6s 45"

:nickent-small:  17* and 20* Hybrids Aldila NVS

:macgregor-small:  VIP V-foil 1025c 4-P True Temper 120g ProPel Lite 2* flat, 1* strong

:cleveland-small:  CG10 52* (bent 50*) and 56 (bent 55*)

:mizuno-small:   MpTseries 60* Raw Haze

:ping-small:   Faith Wack-E 32"

:taylormade-small:TP5 ball

:titelist-small: Stand bag

14 minutes ago, jkpigott said:

Last thing, would suggest not shortening an existing driver, but rather ordering a shorter shaft on a new driver and have the factory match the right swing weight from the get go.

If you do this,  make sure you specify a specific swingweight;  no guarantee that they will add weight.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

True!

:cobra-small: F9 9* Atmos Tour Spec Black 6s 45"

:nickent-small:  17* and 20* Hybrids Aldila NVS

:macgregor-small:  VIP V-foil 1025c 4-P True Temper 120g ProPel Lite 2* flat, 1* strong

:cleveland-small:  CG10 52* (bent 50*) and 56 (bent 55*)

:mizuno-small:   MpTseries 60* Raw Haze

:ping-small:   Faith Wack-E 32"

:taylormade-small:TP5 ball

:titelist-small: Stand bag

Lots of great answers here.  Choking down will give you a lighter effective swingweight and give you an idea of whether to go ahead with the chop.  That being said, there's something to be said for having a club that's "too" long and just choking down for your normal swing.  I built my son's driver at 46".  For his "normal" drives he probably chokes down 1"-2".  If the fairway is wide open and he wants to go full bore, he'll grip it and rip it at the end of the grip.  If he wants to hit a little stinger, then he'll grip all the way down to the bottom of the grip... almost to the shaft portion.  Gives lots of options. 

Might explain why perseveringgolfer mentioned that Fleetwood choked down on his driver all the time.

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

• 3 years later...

I have a Ping G425 Max with Alta 55g CB shaft. The shaft is 45.75”. I cut my Titleist TSi3 Kuro Kage shaft down to 44.25”. I thought about cutting the Ping down but instead decided to choke down 1.5 inches. This seems to work well as it enhances the counter balance effect which in turn makes the heavy G425 Max head feel lighter and less prone to a fade.

Edited by Vertical
Misspelling

Drivers: Ping G425 Max 10.5 w/ Alta CB regular shaft and Titleist TSi3 9.0 degree w/ Kuro Kage regular shaft

Fairway woods: Taylormade Burner 15 w/ regular shaft. Titleist TS2 18 w/ Kuro Kage regular shaft

Irons: Ping G425 irons 5-PW w/ Alta CB shafts

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 921 gap 51 steel. Ping Glide 56 steel. Titleist Vokey SM-07 60 steel 

Grips: Golf Pride MCC midsize plus 4 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura midsize

Balls: Titleist Pro V1 and Titleist Velocity