TESTERS WANTED! ×

Calling Titleist out on Surefit tips

I, recently, sent an email to Titleist to a contact I got recently. He forwarded my message to a lady there. I'd queried them about acquiring a few Surefit tips, as I know that they're not available through their distributors, I thought maybe having a mutual contact might help me get my hands on a few for personal use. I sent them a very respectful email, which I can post as well if necessary, explaining my situation. I have shafts that they do not offer that I wanted to put the tips on to try out for my personal usage. I never once was disrespectful, I actually praised the 910 product I have, saying I like it, etc. I was asking about purchasing a few Surefit tips, explained I didn't care if they were new or if they were used, as long as they weren't stripped out and were usable, I'd like to purchase directly from them so I know they're authentic tips. I got the standard reply of pretty much "we don't sell these tips, the only way to get them is by purchasing the shaft through us, blah, blah, blah". I'd already explained that I had shafts that weren't available from them according to upcharge sheets I've checked into. The lady that replied was also respectful and nice, but shot me down, again. I explained to her I had a Matte Blue Diamana Blueboard, an Oban Revenge (on the way), Matrix TP7HD, and a Talamonti (x2) that I wanted to try in the heads (d3, d2, Fd and F) to get what worked best for me. I'd offered to send them the tips I didn't need back after finding the shaft that fit best. No dice.

I'm not trying to turn a profit, and I'm not interested in paying $100 for a freaking tip adapter on eBay that cost Titleist maybe $2 to produce. I told her that I'd be happy to return any unused product at my expense, and that I liked the driver but their stock offerings didn't quite fit me perfect, nor did anything on the 2 fitting carts I tried. I'm not sure why i understand why they won't let anyone have any, not even their authorized distributors/fitters for shafts they don't offer. She said that particular Diamana may be available soon (don't see how, it's been out of production for years), and that the Matrix could be ordered, possibly, for additional upcharge. The Oban, she said, is available, yet no authorized fitter I've talked to can order it, and that Talamonti is out of business (according to her, not my words, so take it for what it's worth, the parenthesis are my thoughts). I already have these shafts (save the Revenge, and it's on the way as I bought one recently online). I don't want to pay premium retail through Titleist for them. Not to mention the fact that she said that the reason they don't sell adapters is that they haven't tested them in their heads and don't know what the quality would be like, etc. She also said it would cause trouble with warrantying(I told her I'd waive the warranty). I don't care about the warranty. I care about getting the driver to fit me perfect. I LOVE this head and the PX is alright for me, but it's not perfect for me. It does fit better than anything else on the fitting carts I tried, but it's not perfect. Also, none of the stores around here carry/stock X-flex, and tell me when I ask that they'd have to special order (I told them I wanted to buy just the shafts with adapters, not the head, as I already have a D2 and D3).

So, Titleist, I'm calling you out. TMag released the R series tips through a few retail avenues. Adams sells their DFS tip. Nike's Str8 Fit tips are available at select places. Yours, however, are only available black market and aren't guaranteed to be authentic. Why not release the tips, at the very least, to certified fitters/distributors if not consumers? Some of us actually care about results, not warranties. And the demand is HUGE right now. I'm considering finding another driver, seriously, because I like to be able to swap things up. I can pull the tips myself, but it's a PITA because of the stupid ferrule. I have no problem paying someone to install it, if they want that rule in place too, to limit who can sell and install them.

Do I care that they wouldn't sell directly to me? No, not at all. I care about the fact that they won't sell them to ANYONE. It's crazy to me to not even let your authorized dealers sell them with the caveat that they have to install the tips.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Nothing new for Titleist.

They did the same thing with the Cameron Select weight changing tool. The weight changing tool eventually became available, so you may have a chance in a year or so when the product losses its initial hype/appeal.

If I can't get my hands on an OEM one way before then, the driver is out of here. I'm not going to make something work for me when it doesn't fit perfect. Sure, I could pull the sleeve and ferrule, but it's a PITA and a time consuming process. Love the club, love the adjustability, hate the fact that I can't do what I want with a club I own, especially when I told them I'd waive any warranty. I may just try the aftermarket tip Ken has at Victory Custom Golf. He swears it's adjustable now, the first batch wasn't. If it'll pass the wobble test, and I can check it on a loft/lie machine and it be accurate, I'm in. Still ridiculously expensive, but not as expensive as buying a shaft, pulling the sleeve, reselling the shaft, etc.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I don't see anything wrong with how you've described the situation. It sounds to me like Titleist is just being unreasonable. You can't have the tip, but you sure can buy the whole kit and kaboodle! Reading between the lines, that sounds like someone would be upset without a kickback.

Total BS if you ask me.

This practice clearly limits buyers options to company products, or company approved products.

I think the product cannot possibly be so good that I would tie myself up that way. I'm glad the news is out and shall refuse to patronize that company.

Shambles

As much prestige that titleist carries, with them being a players club. You would think that they would want to improve your game as much as possible. I was right on the verge of buying a D2 and thanks to this sight I will be going with Nike VR pro. I keep many shafts for my supertri that I am not having any confidence in and I was wanting to build confidence in a new brand. The highest rated driver shafts are Taylor, Titleist, and Callaway. Taylor is getting a little to crazy now a days, Callaway I have tried a few and don't like the feel. And the Titleist is rated so high, I thought this was the way to go. I know this will not effect the company, but it at least saved me $400.

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

I have a D2, D3, Fd and F... And I like the thought about finding 2 shafts, one slightly lower launching, for each club and having the ability to change for conditions such as wind, course set-up, etc. Can't, though, since they won't release the tips.

In The Bag

Well, I pulled the tip off the PX today and put it on a Whiteboard. We'll see how it works, but it's just a shame that I have to wait to hit it and judge how good it works for me then pull it again, install another shaft in it, wait, go hit it again, and repeat until I get what I'm looking for.

In The Bag

See... that's the good thing about those of us who don't know what "pulling the tip" means and can't feel the difference between a Whiteboard and a broom :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Well, I pulled the tip off the PX today and put it on a Whiteboard. We'll see how it works, but it's just a shame that I have to wait to hit it and judge how good it works for me then pull it again, install another shaft in it, wait, go hit it again, and repeat until I get what I'm looking for.

Not much difference from 3 years ago when there were no tips?

Like it has been mentioned the companies are just milking the market first before they release it aftermarket.

I agree that it is rediculous that you can't even send in your shaft of choice to have it "professionally" installed.

However, I will conceed that with the number of shaft choices from titleist from the factory i never felt that I would miss anything. Only shaft I wish I could have tried in it is the Miyazaki. However, the Project X is perfect for my swing...

Well, if they're reading this, I've gotten rid of the D2. I traded it for an R11 that should be here mid week. And their tips are available at Golfsmith for $15 each, so hah! Really liked the driver, though, I just couldn't get a reliable ball flight out of it.

In The Bag

Well, if they're reading this, I've gotten rid of the D2. I traded it for an R11 that should be here mid week. And their tips are available at Golfsmith for $15 each, so hah! Really liked the driver, though, I just couldn't get a reliable ball flight out of it.

As much as I would love to think they are reading this (same goes for all the other OEMs), I highly doubt it. I doubt it even more that they'd care. They aren't here to help us, only make money off us.

Archived