TESTERS WANTED! ×

HaberVision Sardinia Sunglasses - Review

• SPY VIP

Habervision Sardinia Sunglasses – REVIEW

http://www.habervision.com/

IMG_1226.jpg

Anyone ever own Bolle Sunglasses?HaberVision is the modern incarnation of Bolle the sunglasses that were popular, and well thought of back in the 80's and 90's. I had a sweet pair of square framed Bolle sunglasses that were in constant rotation with my RayBans and Vuarnets. I sought out HaberVision sunglasses to review based upon the recommendation of another golfer and was pleasantly surprised to learn of the Bolle lineage.

I am basing this review upon the data that I have collected wearing these sunglasses for the past few weeks, both on and off the course.

Cosmetics and Feel (20 Points)

The HaberVision Sardinia model is a minimally-framed pair of sunglasses with the frames consisting of individual nose and arm pieces. The frames are made of what the company calls “Terralon, an environmentally friendly, virtually unbreakable material”. The lenses on this model are a bit trapezoidal in shape, polarized, and constructed of HaberLite™ polymer, that is marketed as being both lightweight and strong. With both the components being labeled lightweight, it will come as no surprise that the glasses feel very light on your face when worn. And not light like they are going to fly away either. The Griptor™ nosepieces and spots on the arms really keep the glasses in place. They feel secure but almost non-present because of the light weight.

IMG_1227.jpg

I base the cosmetic appeal of sunglasses upon two perceptions, how I think they look and how my wife thinks they look. For reference, I have a larger head with a more square than round face. I felt that the Sardinia sunglasses looked quite nice on my face, with the lenses covering the majority of my field of view. I like the look of the light blue and rose, partially mirrored lens. The frame is a fine, although a bit boring black color. I think that other offerings in the frame color department would be a welcome option for many consumers. Personally, I would like a white frame. My wife's response was an almost surprised “Oh, those look good.” I am not sure if she was surprised by the good looks of the sunglasses or her husband, but I'll score that one as a plus for the Sardinia.

Cosmetics and Feel Score: 17/20 Points

Performance (60 Points)

Daily Use

I wore the Sardinia sunglasses exclusively for two weeks. That alone should tell you that they are pretty good sunglasses. They are very light on the face and the lens optics are top notch. The polarized lens creates a very bright and crisp field of view. There are only a couple of critiques that I have for the sunglasses. First, I found the fit at the brow a little loose such that there is some light entering the glasses from the top. This, I am sure, is a trade-off for having the rimless lenses. It was not severe, but just something that I occasionally noticed at different times of day. The second issue is more of an FYI than criticism of the HaberLiteâ„¢ lens. If you drive a car with tinted windows, wearing polarized sunglasses can cause patterns to appear in the windows. This is true for all polarized sunglasses that I have worn. Check it out yourself and remember that factor when you go to purchase. For some, this is something that cannot be overlooked.

IMG_1236.jpg

My last issue is one more of perception than reality. Due to the light weight of the sunglasses, I kept feeling like I had to be very careful with them when I took them off. They came with a nice soft bag style case to store them in, but I was very careful where I put them, fearing that they would not survive a crushing. Based upon the material description, this is likely an unfounded fear, but it was present nonetheless.

On the Course

These glasses were great on the course. The addition of a baseball cap eliminated all glare from the top of the lens and left me with a very clear and crisp image. They functioned well in all light conditions, although I did remove them as we edged on into twilight on one round. They did not slip at all during the swing and didn't seem to impact my ability to read greens.

The only criticism that I have mirrors the one from everyday wear, perceived durability. When I did take the glasses off when the light was lowering, I did not feel confident just placing them in the soft bag and tossing them in the golf bag. I think that the addition of a hard-sided case would alleviate this fear and make a great addition to the product.

IMG_1234.jpg

Performance Score: 54/60

Value (20 Points)

The price of the HaberVision Sardinia at the HaberVision website is $77.50. Based upon my experience with the sunglasses and the Bolle pedigree, I believe that this represents an excellent value. As you can probably guess, my only hesitation from offering a full endorsement is that I do not have enough data about the longevity of the sunglasses. I have no reason to doubt the construction of the sunglasses, but that doubt is present. I will definitely update this review as I continue to use the Sardinias.

IMG_1228.jpg

If nothing else, the $77.50 price would allow you to replace the sunglasses with another pair and still be below the price of other manufacturers sunglasses.

Value Score (17/20)

Overall Score: 88/100

Summary

HaberVision Sardinia sunglasses are quality sunglasses at an affordable price. I feel that these sunglasses perform well both on and off the course. I can definitely see myself rocking them on the greens and the pool deck this summer.

IMG_1230.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Not bad, I like the clean simple lines... you said that that light still comes in from the top, but what about the sides? I have really good peripheral vision and if the sides aren't covered it really messes with my vision. Thats the reason I have had such a hard time replacing my Half Jackets... I picky with sunglasses...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

Sides were totally covered with my head. These do wrap nicely in that way. The light from the top was not a deal breaker either, just occasionally noticed.

Half Jackets are solid glasses, I love the XLJ lens. These are not those, but I do like both if that helps.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Archived