Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Question about lie angles

I recently ordered a set of Titleist T300 irons. I was fit at 2* flat with them. I had always played "black dot" or whatever the standard was on my irons. The only set I remember needing to be adjusted was a set of Mizuno's years ago. I have no problem with the results, I went to two different fitters, and they both came up with the same lie angle. I chalk it up to some changes in my swing since I took a few lessons before the Holidays. Or not, LOL

I've been playing the Rogue X irons. It turns out they need to be flattened also, although 1* less. One place told me they could do it without a problem, and I think it would've only cost $28 for 7 irons. The second place told me they wouldn't do it. They said because they were cast irons, I'd be wasting my money, the clubs would "bounce back" to their original specs. He said I could ship them back to Callaway, they would be able to adjust them in a way that it would last.

The Titleist clubs should arrive next week. I put the Rogue X in as a trade that I would get toward the purchase price when they arrive at the store. The trade in was so low though, I'd rather keep them as a second set up on Long Island.

Here's my question.

Can the Rogue X's be bent to my specs and stay that way, or was the person who told me they'd bounce back to their original specs correct?

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

Bouncing back is code for “I don’t want to do these because they may snap.”

I trusted my ability to repair and tweek clubs but I never took on a set of cast clubs for a loft or lie adjustment.

One snap or crack and I would be the proud owner of a set of those clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

For what it's worth I had a set of cast irons I wanted to get bent 2 degrees up. Took them to a notable club guy here, he told me that there's a strong possibility that the clubs could snap while trying to bend them. I told him to give it a try and if it broke, oh well, I wanted new sticks anyhow. He tried and he got a few up 1 degree before they started making craking noises, at which point he stopped not wanting to break the irons.  So I ended up just trading them in on a set of irons at the lie angle I needed, much easier that way.

Chris 

Edited by LeftyHawk

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

Hmmm

Thanks guys. It’s looking like it might be time to say goodbye to the Rogue Xs. 😢

35 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I trusted my ability to repair and tweek clubs but I never took on a set of cast clubs for a loft or lie adjustment.

Can I ask you one more thing? 

If I remember correctly, they told me the heel of the club was hitting the board first, causing my contact to be out on the toe. They said flattening the lie would bring me toward the center. I wish they had a demo head with a flatter lie angle to compare, but being a lefty...

Anyway, does that sound right to you?

I was only fit with a 7 iron, and the guy at the bigger store said most of the people they fit for the T300s needed to be at least 1* flatter then their norm. When I got home I compared their specs to the last two sets I played, and the T300s were more upright then both, so that eased my concerns a bit. I guess I’ll find out after hitting them, but that voice in the back of my head made me pay a few bucks more, and buy from the store with the 90 day playability instead of the local guy I wanted to give the business to.

Edited by Grand Stranded

Yeah that makes perfect sense. Heal first means you need a flatter lie angle. The two ways to make a club flatter are with a clubhead lie adjustment, or by making the club shorter. 

If you could have played all your rogue x's 1/2" short you wouldn't have to worry about adjusting the club heads. 

When I go through fittings I can either go 2° flat, or 1/2" short. In the age of launch monitors, going flat is the normal recommendation since taking half an inch of the club will decrease clubhead speed and therefore distance. 

I actually prefer the 1/2" short option, I end up making better contact so my distance are more consistent. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

If I remember correctly, they told me the heel of the club was hitting the board first, causing my contact to be out on the toe. They said flattening the lie would bring me toward the center. I wish they had a demo head with a flatter lie angle to compare, but being a lefty...

I was only fit with a 7 iron, and the guy at the bigger store said most of the people they fit for the T300s needed to be at least 1* flatter then their norm. When I got home I compared their specs to the last two sets I played, and the T300s were more upright then both, so that eased my concerns a bit. I guess I’ll find out after hitting them, but that voice in the back of my head made me pay a few bucks more, and buy from the store with the 90 day playability instead of the local guy I wanted to give the business to.

That’s correct and@thin2win explained it perfectly.

I’m a visual learner so I like photos to show the “why” and the “how”

IMG_4193.GIF.fe0e56933f860afce8aabefd8a601d44.GIF

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

8 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

Hmmm

Thanks guys. It’s looking like it might be time to say goodbye to the Rogue Xs. 😢

I highly doubt you would notice and issue with 1* difference in current and recommended lie angle. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

9 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I recently ordered a set of Titleist T300 irons. I was fit at 2* flat with them. I had always played "black dot" or whatever the standard was on my irons. The only set I remember needing to be adjusted was a set of Mizuno's years ago. 

There is no standard lie angle just like no standard loft for an iron number or playing length. Even within a club manufacturer their different iron offerings may vary. So the 2* flat in titleist is the same across all current titleist irons as is their length. Taylormade has similar lie angles in several of their irons but it changes when you go to the sim max irons and iirc the

previous M iron offerings were different from the P series.  You may find that the lie angle is similar with other brands but it’s not a guarantee. I played Mizuno for years and when I would get fit/demo other brands the fitter would base lie angle off my Mizuno irons vice theirs.

Titleist has a 63* lie angle in 7i and TM P790 and 760 are 62.5

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

8 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

What's your ball flight? 

If you're already hitting a fade, flattening the lie angles would increase your fade. 

Lie angles should be adjusted based on ball flight. 

5 hours ago, jlukes said:

What's your ball flight? 

If you're already hitting a fade, flattening the lie angles would increase your fade. 

Lie angles should be adjusted based on ball flight. 

I have a bit of an over the top move (especially with my irons), which causes a lot of my shots to miss right (which is a pull, I'm a lefty) for some reason, it's not there with my driver as much and almost never with hybrids. With them my flight is straight, with maybe a slight draw. I can get "hooky" at times.

It's (the OTT) something I'm trying to work on, but when I'm out on the course that old tendency still comes into play quite often. Especially when I overswing.

Since taking a of couple of lessons, my pre shot thought process has changed. I'm much more tentative. Whereas I used to just stand behind the ball, take a loose swing imagining how hard of a body turn I wanted to make, then get over the ball and go, I'm now going through a "checklist" of not taking it inside, keeping the head square, maybe a touch closed, trail elbow in, right wrist set at the top, blah, blah. They're all things which will make my swing better, but I haven't reached the point where they are ingrained. 

Edited by Grand Stranded

Correct. I had a Lie Angle set changed 2* years ago and they had me sign a waiver that if they cracked it was my problem. They did the change and there were no problems. I have heard horror stories of changes going bad.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I broke a few cheaper cast clubs back in the day.  Was always able to work the better name brand clubs a degree or two, but off brand clubs would often snap in a heartbeat.  We always warned the customer that breaking the club was a distinct possibility and that we would only do it after they accepted that risk.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug