Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Bag setup Question

Looking for advice and thoughts on the long end of my bag.

Last year I carried a 3w/5w/4h irons started at 6. This year my new irons have a 4h/5h. So i am trying to decide best approach for my bag set up.

I like the flexibility that the 3w/5w/4h gave me last year, found that I was using all 3 frequently enough based on the setup of my home course. ( couple par 4’s where driver is not a great or ideal play, couple long par 5’s where its always driver 3w, one long par 3 where i use 5w/4h).

Just looking for how others filled those spots in their bag and what was the thought process in doing so?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I carry 3w, 2iron, 5iron at the top of my bag. The only issue I find is if I have a par 3 at a distance of 215. I think the key is your gapping and what you are looking for from those clubs. I mostly use 3w (fairway finder) off the tee and 2 iron (I'll keep it in play) off the fairway.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I honestly believe that you need to find out what clubs work best for you and your game. I would offer that you get to a place that has some kind of launch monitor and get yardages for the clubs then set up you gapping based on the numbers. Another way is to, through playing the course, find the set up that fits you and your game. There is no right answer to this question. No wrong answer either. Being that your in Canada finding an indoor sim would be a litter easier I suspect. Enjoy the new sticks, nothing better than new stuff !!!!

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

I carry 3w, 2h, 3h, 4h, 6 iron. I dropped the 5 due to inconsistent strikes. The clubs in the bag were selected based on distance gapping.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My suggestion is to determine how far you hit your 6 iron and how far you hit your driver...normally, not best shots. Then fill in a club every 10-15 yards. This club you should hit and hit straight normally to the distance you're looking for, regardless of the type or designation.

Example. My 6 iron is 160. I have a 6 hybrid for my 170 club, a 7 wood as my 180 club, a ping 3 crossover as my 190 club, a 5 wood as my 200 club, a 3 wood as my 220ish club and my driver is 240. 6h and 3h and D are ping, the rest each is something different.

The point being, I can count on the club to go that distance and it goes straight if I put an average swing on it.

I always ask myself why I have a specific club in the bag for.  For example, obviously driver and putter answer their own questions, but beyond that, everything else should be examined.

In my situation, I play the same course several times every week, and I know what clubs I will typically need on most holes.  I typically look at the par 3 holes on my course and analyze what clubs I need to hit into those greens, and on the two front ones it can be anything from PW to 7 iron, depending on wind, tee and pin placement.

Next, I look at the par 5s on my course.  The front nine par 5s I can and typically do hit a 3 wood from the fairway for the 2nd shot, and on the first par 5 it's probably a lob wedge from there.  But the 2nd par 5 is quirky so that I'll probably have the same irons into that green that I probably have on one of the par 3s.  Back nine par 5s can be played several ways.  I can hit 3 wood on both, or layup to a number on both, or something in between.

Most of the par 4s on my course I won't need more than 7 iron for a 2nd shot, unless the wind is really strong into my face, then I'll need a 5 or 6 iron, but not that often.

So when I sit down and analyze my round, I find that I rarely if ever use a 3 hybrid, 4 iron or 5 iron on my home course.  But I keep them in the bag because I can have 14 clubs.  I also rarely use my gap wedge.  If I manage my way around the course properly I can eliminate that club from my bag as well.  Not 100% guaranteed, but I should be able to eliminate it if I am playing well.

So yeah, you are getting the long answer to an easy question.  Ask yourself what you'll use each club for on the course, and then go from there.  The pros will switch out clubs weekly, depending on the course they play.  They rarely play the same clubs week in and week out, and will always vary based on what they think they'll need where they are playing.  Everyone else should do the same thing as well, including you and me.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS
My suggestion is to determine how far you hit your 6 iron and how far you hit your driver...normally, not best shots. Then fill in a club every 10-15 yards. This club you should hit and hit straight normally to the distance you're looking for, regardless of the type or designation.

Example. My 6 iron is 160. I have a 6 hybrid for my 170 club, a 7 wood as my 180 club, a ping 3 crossover as my 190 club, a 5 wood as my 200 club, a 3 wood as my 220ish club and my driver is 240. 6h and 3h and D are ping, the rest each is something different.

The point being, I can count on the club to go that distance and it goes straight if I put an average swing on it.

Thanks for the reply. I’m currently in year 2 of lessons and last night was hitting my 6 iron 165, my instructor was targeting 160. So I’m close to what you are seeing distance wise. I’ve never hit a 6 165... ever so I’m a little amped about my progress.

I’m thinking I’ll stick with the same set up for now 3w/5W/4H and keep working on my swing and distance.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I always ask myself why I have a specific club in the bag for.  For example, obviously driver and putter answer their own questions, but beyond that, everything else should be examined.
In my situation, I play the same course several times every week, and I know what clubs I will typically need on most holes.  I typically look at the par 3 holes on my course and analyze what clubs I need to hit into those greens, and on the two front ones it can be anything from PW to 7 iron, depending on wind, tee and pin placement.
Next, I look at the par 5s on my course.  The front nine par 5s I can and typically do hit a 3 wood from the fairway for the 2nd shot, and on the first par 5 it's probably a lob wedge from there.  But the 2nd par 5 is quirky so that I'll probably have the same irons into that green that I probably have on one of the par 3s.  Back nine par 5s can be played several ways.  I can hit 3 wood on both, or layup to a number on both, or something in between.
Most of the par 4s on my course I won't need more than 7 iron for a 2nd shot, unless the wind is really strong into my face, then I'll need a 5 or 6 iron, but not that often.
So when I sit down and analyze my round, I find that I rarely if ever use a 3 hybrid, 4 iron or 5 iron on my home course.  But I keep them in the bag because I can have 14 clubs.  I also rarely use my gap wedge.  If I manage my way around the course properly I can eliminate that club from my bag as well.  Not 100% guaranteed, but I should be able to eliminate it if I am playing well.
So yeah, you are getting the long answer to an easy question.  Ask yourself what you'll use each club for on the course, and then go from there.  The pros will switch out clubs weekly, depending on the course they play.  They rarely play the same clubs week in and week out, and will always vary based on what they think they'll need where they are playing.  Everyone else should do the same thing as well, including you and me.

Thanks, I’m in a similar spot. I play the same course all the time so I sat down with a score card and figured out what I need. Couple long par 5’s I typically hit driver /3w on, couple short 4’s that a well struck driver gets me in jail but a 5 wood is just right to set up the next shot. It really is a thinking game.

I’m re tooling my swing and as I improve I am getting more distance. I took my 4 and 5 iron out last year as I could not hit them and added the 4H.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

Thanks for the input everyone , much appreciated. Really focusing on what I need for my home course and then round out my bag. Sticking with the 3w/5W/4H but thinking it will change as I get more confident in my swing and distance

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

What I carry probably isn't right for you, but I would strongly suggest getting on a launch monitor or getting a shot tracking system to see if you carry multiple clubs that go the same distance.  That happens to lots of people around the fairway wood/hybrid/long iron range.  As for me, I hit my 4 and 5 irons the same distance.  I do have a bit of a gap between my 5i and my 2h.  I just haven't found anything I like that goes between those two clubs.    

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I was planning on a ST190G, ST190TS 3w, ST190 5W, CLK 4H & 5H then 6-P 52-56-60 but before I bought the 5W I discovered a gap between my 5H and 6 iron. I have Mizuno clubs in the bag. So I set my ST190TS to 17° (4 wood?) and cranked the 4H to 20° and 5H to 23° and added the MP5 5 iron instead. And now I have even gaping.

Moral of the story, hit em and see what you need. Doesn’t matter what you have as long as you don’t end up with a big gap in the middle like I was going to have.

I was also went to 46-52-58 on wedges, but decided I was gong to score better with more wedges than fairway metals. So I have 4 instead of 3.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

When I got on trackman I found there wasn't very much different in distance between some clubs at the top of the bag.  I spread out the gaps a little bit and its working out better for me.  

I go:
Driver 
14.5* 3W
19* Hybrid 
24* Crossover 
27* 6 Iron

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :cobra-small: :touredgeexotics: :cleveland-small: :PXG:               

Cobra SpeedZone 9*
TourEdge EXS 18* 
TourEdge C721 22*H
PXG 0211 DC 6-P + G
Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52/58*
Wilson Staff Infinite Michigan Ave
Taylormade Tour Response

I need to dial in the top of my bag as I am finally upgrading my clubs after 10 or so years....Driver | 3w is set...there's a TaylorMade demo day this weekend and I am probably going to see if I can't figure out which combination of FW and Hybrids fit in before the 5i

1641152206_TaylorMadelogo.png.1a4d69c9e3e98b4a2cc285ddd4f44160.png M5 9 deg [Project X Evenflow Black 65g] // 1641152206_TaylorMadelogo.png.1a4d69c9e3e98b4a2cc285ddd4f44160.png SIM Max 3w 15 deg [Fujikura Ventus Blue 5-R] // 1818715690_mizunologo.png.362d1f007e2345c895a2a095ac1d19d1.png JPX 919 5i-PW // 1641152206_TaylorMadelogo.png.1a4d69c9e3e98b4a2cc285ddd4f44160.png ATV Grind Wedges 52-60 [KBS Tour Steel] // 1455271488_Odysseylogo.jpg.b9b3d31d23a9b217779870779776c15d.jpg Stroke Lab 7 // 1641152206_TaylorMadelogo.png.1a4d69c9e3e98b4a2cc285ddd4f44160.png TP5 // 1818715690_mizunologo.png.362d1f007e2345c895a2a095ac1d19d1.png BRD-4 [Cart-Red-Gray] // adidas_logo_21.png.8b407cf238a5268554c70f59912c11a7.png CodeChaos [White-Red]

1448174426_SuperSpeedLogo2.png.17b2bb92c3fb344ab94e0e85f7419d12.png SuperSpeed 2020 Testing Group

Initial Driver Swing Speed: 95 mph

As stated, you need to find a store or get with the person you are taking lesson from and find out your yardages. Once you know that, then fill the gaps with the club you hit the best whether it be a hybrid or iron.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Really depends on gapping first me anyway and what you’re comfortable with hitting. I have 2H and 4H the. 4 iron (my 4H is 3 degrees less than my 4 iron). Gapping for me is 240/220/205 and then 10 yards down from there. My 2h is also my go to for when the driver doesn’t want to cooperate.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I’m going to a sim tomorrow and try gapping my clubs. It’s really difficult now as every lesson I’m gaining more confidence and seemingly more distance. I’ve never hit a 6 iron 165 before and at my lesson the other night with my adjustments it was common. Might need to hold off on filling the bag until I’m more confident in my swing. My instructor is setting the distances he feels I should be getting and so far I’m there. Appreciate all the info.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

1 hour ago, Jbmullin said:

I’m going to a sim tomorrow and try gapping my clubs. It’s really difficult now as every lesson I’m gaining more confidence and seemingly more distance. I’ve never hit a 6 iron 165 before and at my lesson the other night with my adjustments it was common. Might need to hold off on filling the bag until I’m more confident in my swing. My instructor is setting the distances he feels I should be getting and so far I’m there. Appreciate all the info.

Excellent Idea. Keep on your current path and you you'll be pleased with where it takes you. Good luck !!!!

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

After the sim testing I have to say I’m as undecided now as ever. I am so inconsistent with my 3 wood that I am leaning towards going all hybrids and no woods. I feel way more confident with hybrid than 3w.. historically from the fairway I top 3w. Reading a lot about clubs that don’t leave the bag and 3w when I think back on it barely leaves. Thanks again everyone for the discussion. I’m stoked for the 2020 season and seeing improvements.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe