Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

59 Belts - Review

59 Belts Review

IMG_3603.JPG

Introduction

This is the second article in a series on custom and high end belt buckles, one of the biggest golf fashion trends of the last few years. This article takes a look at the buckles from 59 Belts.

IMG_3594.JPG

IMG_3598.JPG

The Facts

59 offers buckles in stainless steel and the “Players Series” which is made of aluminum. The stainless buckle is extremely substantial: it weighs 134 grams and measures 3 5/32” by 2 5/32” (about the size of a credit card). The aluminum buckles shares the dimensions of the stainless buckles but weighs only 77 grams. The Players Series buckle does appear a bit smaller because of the black border, but it is the same size. Both buckles are of very high quality. The strap that 59 includes with the belt is of excellent quality and is 5/32” thick.

One thing that sets 59 Belts apart is their method for securing the belt to the buckle. The pictures show this mechanism better than I can describe it, but the benefit is that the “excess” belt does not stick through the other side of the buckle. This creates a nice clean, symmetrical look.

Finally, 59 Belts come with the best buckle bag I've seen yet. The bag is very heavily padded, and the bag holds both the strap and the buckle in separate compartments.

IMG_3605.JPG

IMG_3608.JPG

My Experience and Thoughts

When I opened up the package and looked at the buckles, my first reaction was, “Wow, the pictures don't lie, these buckles pop.” The buckles that 59 Belts creates are definitely made to stand out. From the size of the buckle, to the mill marks and the shiny finish, this belt will be noticed. I definitely felt that more people noticed the 59 buckles than any of the other buckles that I usually wear. One person even went so far as to grab the buckle for closer inspection…while I was wearing it!

I think the take away from my experiences wearing and talking to people about the 59 belts and buckles is that, again, they are meant to stand out. 59 even put their logo on the strap in shiny silver, which is another conversation starter (“Why does your belt say 69?” “Sir, it's 59” “Sure it is…”). For some people that's going to be the selling point, for others it will be a turn off. Regardless, 59 has definitely created a look that is all their own.

One final point of interest is the mechanism that locks the strap to the buckle. The look that it produces is definitely unique, and it creates a nice secure fit around your waist. My only critical thought about it is that people who have a collection of straps might be turned off by needing “proprietary” straps for their 59 buckle. I'm not sure that this is a huge concern, but it is something that crossed my mind.

IMG_3609.JPG

IMG_3614.JPG

IMG_3617.JPG

Customization & Customer Service

I contacted Trevor Derrheim about this review and he very quickly got a couple of buckles out to me. He was even willing to add the Polish Eagle design to the Players Series for me, which turned out great. Every time that I sent an email to Trevor, his response was always very quick and helpful, so 59 definitely gets high marks for customer service.

As far as customization, it seems that the sky is the limit for 59. You can check out galleries of some custom Players Series and stainless buckles they have done here:

http://www.59belts.c...?categoryID=135

http://www.59belts.c...p?categoryID=80

As you look through the custom galleries and even some of the stock designs, you see torching, different paintfills, engravings that raise the logo or embed it…you are really only limited by your imagination.

IMG_3602.JPG

Value

59 Belts offers Players Series buckles from as low of $79, including a belt. Custom designs in the Players Series run $125 for the buckle only. In stainless steel, 59 offers stock designs from $179 all the way up to the Miura buckle which is $295. Custom stainless belts start at $275. In addition to buckles, 59 offers straps in a wide variety of colors for $40 or $50, plus a selection of exotic skins (ostrich, lizard, cobra) that cost anywhere from $125 to $160.

What I like about 59 is that they cover a wide variety of price points, which allows more golfers to participate in this trend. Whereas other companies have a pretty small (and, generally, high) range of prices, you can get a 59 buckle and strap for as little as $79 or as much as $300. A company that offers a top quality product that is made in the USA for as little as $79 definitely scores high in the value category.

IMG_3606.JPG

The Peanut Gallery

The Peanut Gallery gave fairly divergent opinions about the 59 buckles and belts. Given the unique style of the belts, this is pretty much what I expected. Some people, who tend towards being more conservative and traditional, weren't fans of the 59 logo on the strap or the bright, busy mill marks. Others thought the mill marks were great and really loved how the buckle popped. It really came down to a question of personal style. That said, everyone had positive things to say about the heft and quality of the buckles, and most people were impressed with 59's pinch-release clip and the look it creates.

Conclusion

Overall, the quality of the 59 Belts buckles is extremely impressive, as is their customer service. The fact that they offer buckles for as little as $79 is a very welcome change of pace, and it represents one of the better values I've seen for anyone interesting in getting into the buckle game. The style of 59's buckles and straps is definitely unique and geared more towards those who aren't afraid to stand out from the crowd.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Probably my favorite of all the buckle/belt companies I've seen. A couple questions...

1. How do they go about figuring out the right size for the belt?

2. Why do the Miura buckles cost so damn much?

GolfSpy X and I joke about me signing on with a 10 club deal with Miura. I might have to have them include the buckles in the contract.

-T

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

T

There are instructions from 59 about how to measure yourself for the correct size belt. I'm sure Trevor can give you that info if you contact him. As for the cost of the Miura belt, that's not something I know anything about.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Archived