2020 Official Member Review: Fujikura Motore X shaft

Our Sponsors

By the way you guys have blown us away with your reviews and the ongoing conversation about Motore X! Thank you so much and let's keep it rolling!
For those of you guys who were not testers, but are interested to try the product - what would get you to do so? Promo at your local clubfitter (i.e. test a motore x and get discount), an online trial program (you get shipped a demo to plug and play into your driver head), etc? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Having a trial program would be amazing! It’s tough in a fitting when you maybe get 5 swings or so in a particular head to say “This is totally worth $X upcharge.” I think that it would definitely help people feel more confident in the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Intro Once again, a very sincere thank you to MGS for allowing me to be a part of this testing experience! This will be my 4th MGS test in 3 years and I will say that it does not get easier. If a

The Review Intro Hello fellow Spies!  I’d like to start by saying a huge thank you to MGS and Fujikura to allow me to review the new Motore X shaft!  I’d also like to thank everyone for thei

June 2, 2020  Fujikura – Official MGS Forum Review by RevKev  Intro  Grandpa will you tell me a story please?    Of course, Lilly!  This is

Posted Images

13 hours ago, COmedic said:

I would love an online trial program. I have one small golf shop in my town of 100k people. They have no custom fitting options, just the fitting carts they receive. I’m left to constantly buy and resell equipment to try to build my bag. I’d pay a small fee to try out shafts. Not $40 for a week as someone above said, but $10 or $15.

$10 wouldn’t cover the one way freight much less insurance. 

I can’t imagine how great it would be for small town folks who don’t have immediate access to Fujikura products. Fingers crossed they’ll heed this advice. 

• Like 1
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Diamana FW 75 X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

17 hours ago, bens197 said:

$10 wouldn’t cover the one way freight much less insurance.

I can’t imagine how great it would be for small town folks who don’t have immediate access to Fujikura products. Fingers crossed they’ll heed this advice. 

You are absolutely correct, $10 won't cover their costs. But, If it gets their shafts into the hands of more and more golfers, it could probably be justified similarly to the way milk pricing is for grocery stores. I'm actually more concerned about proper fitting - from Fujikura's prospective as well as the consumer's! On-line fitting still relies on subjective data for them to provide the right shaft, and how many of those who a trial program is targeted to can provide it? Arccos has pretty much proven that most golfers have a substantially inflated view of their carry distances (I did and I thought I was being conservative!!). In fact, the popular club fitter from Canada, TXG, now requires Arccos membership before they will do any fitting. (How many times have you had a particularly great range session, followed by a pretty poor one. One fitting session probably doesn't accurately display your skills - good or bad.) So maybe Fujikura can ask for that kind of data for a VERY reasonably priced trial.

That being said, I took the leap of faith last March and bought the Motore X for my Epic Flash SZ. I do have a PRGR to check swing speed so I had fairly accurate swing speed info, and I liked the weight of the stock 65 gram Tensei AV Blue shaft. So I bought the F3 65R. Still pretty risky! But I've played around with driver settings and now have several rounds of golf and I can honestly say that this is the best driver/shaft combination I've ever had.  Still no subjective data, but I'm at least 10 to 15 yards longer and absolutely straighter than before. Would the Ventus have performed even better? No clue. But I do love this shaft and would encourage everyone to check it out.

A quick shout-out to the official testers! Great reports guys!!!

• Like 5

:callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 10.5 w/ Motore X F3 65R shaft

:callaway-small:XR 5 Wood Fairway w/stock Project X Stiff shaft

:tour-edge: EXS220 3 & 4 Hybrid w/KBS TGI Tour Graphite Reg shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 54 & 58 deg wedges

:odyssey-small: White Ice Sabertooth putter

On 5/16/2020 at 5:10 PM, Quigleyd said:

The motore and I are getting to be better friends.. I think the more I play with it the more I like it.

@Quigleyd - You used to play a Ventus right? If so, how would you compare the dispersion of the Ventus vs. the Motore X?

• Like 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 12/27/2020
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Nippon Modus 120 S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - KBS Hi-Rev S
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER2

19 hours ago, dlow206 said:

@Quigleyd - You used to play a Ventus right? If so, how would you compare the dispersion of the Ventus vs. the Motore X?

They are similar. The Ventus was straighter for sure. I feel I get a touch more speed out of the Motore X and a slightly more active feel. I still have the ventus but I am starting to like the Motore in the driver and I am considering a Ventus for a fairway wood. I really struggled with the Motore X at first to the point I almost ditched it. But I am coming to like it more and more. 

Both are awesome and Fuji has some legit stuff. 

• Like 3

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

19 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

They are similar. The Ventus was straighter for sure. I feel I get a touch more speed out of the Motore X and a slightly more active feel. I still have the ventus but I am starting to like the Motore in the driver and I am considering a Ventus for a fairway wood. I really struggled with the Motore X at first to the point I almost ditched it. But I am coming to like it more and more. 

Thanks. I did what I always do and found a good deal on a Ventus Red 5S so I will have it in hand to compare with the Motore X F3 5S. 

Updated 12/27/2020

42 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

Two questions...What were you playing prior to the Motore and of all the shafts you’ve played, what’s been your favorite thus far?

• TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

32 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Two questions...What were you playing prior to the Motore and of all the shafts you’ve played, what’s been your favorite thus far?

Gosh, I like to try a lot of stuff. Its really an expensive and bad habit. 

Here are the last few shafts in order. 

Kuro Kage black 7x

Graphite Design AD DI 7X

Ventus blue 7X

Ventus black 6X - borrowed never bought, but played enough to get a good sample size.

Haz green 60 TX

Haz green 70X

KBS TD tour catagory 5 7X

UST Mamiya LINQ gun metal 60X

Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch. 

I also have a rogue white 70X tipped an inch I have not even tried.. 

It is kind of a toss up as to which I have liked the most. I would say I have played my best golf probably ever with the Ventus blue. It is super straight. I have hit my longest drives with the Haz green 60TX when I am swinging well that thing is a ball speed monster. The KBS is a bit of a different animal all together as it is higher torque over all and very tip heavy. Not sure about it yet. I am having a hard time figuring it out. . 

The Motore F1 seems very good in terms of distance and direction. I am really starting to like it alot and it seems to be performing very well. If I had to settle on a shaft and get rid of the rest it would either be the Motore or the Ventus blue. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Quigleyd said:

Kuro Kage black 7x

Graphite Design AD DI 7X

Ventus blue 7X

Ventus black 6X - borrowed never bought, but played enough to get a good sample size.

Haz green 60 TX

Haz green 70X

It is kind of a toss up as to which I have liked the most. I would say I have played my best golf probably ever with the Ventus blue. It is super straight. I have hit my longest drives with the Haz green 60TX when I am swinging well that thing is a ball speed monster. The KBS is a bit of a different animal all together as it is higher torque over all and very tip heavy. Not sure about it yet. I am having a hard time figuring it out. . 

The Motore F1 seems very good in terms of distance and direction. I am really starting to like it alot and it seems to be performing very well. If I had to settle on a shaft and get rid of the rest it would either be the Motore or the Ventus blue. 

That’s a decent sample size 😉

Thanks man, this is all good to toss in the box for later. 

• Like 2
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

46 minutes ago, bens197 said:

That’s a decent sample size 😉

Thanks man, this is all good to toss in the box for later. 

Like I said, I basically have a disease... haha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

Kuro Kage black 7x

Graphite Design AD DI 7X

Ventus blue 7X

Haz green 60 TX

Haz green 70X

I feel better about the random shafts that I have purchase over the past year lol.

• Like 1

Updated 12/27/2020

37 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

Like I said, I basically have a disease... haha. 

I think you’re in the right place 😊

• Like 1
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Had a good round driving the ball today. Made some bad swings, but the driver kept me in play on a very tight course. Couldn’t hit a 2nd shot today to save my life though. Motore X still going strong!

• Like 2

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

My Motore X is still going well.  My swing isn't as some of you may have noticed in the training aids section of the forum, I'm working through the Planemate.  The shaft keeps up with me no mater what I do with my swing, but if you leave the face wide open, no shaft is saving you. 😂

• Like 6

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

This might be a dumb question but with modern graphite shafts like the Motore X is "puring" even necessary and is it worth it for an average golfer? I have not read in this review thread if that was done for any of the testers. I saw an article several years ago singing its praises and see that its always an option when buying a shaft from online retailers like the Golfworks. Reading through this thread I noticed a number of club tinkerers who seem to try a lot of shafts which seems like it would be fun but could get a bit pricey. 

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: Supreme Hybrid Stand Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/HZRDUS Smoke Black

image.png 0341 3 wood 15° w/Project X Even Flow Blue

:ping-small: G30 Hybrid 3 19° w/TFC 419H

237E457C-550E-40CE-B307-BB11B9B6B4A0.jpeg.0a1ea2f794d73d0896d726040c6a1252.jpeg NLU-01 18° Utility w/Mitsubishi Kura Kage Black

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 23° w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

image.png 0211 irons 5-GW w/True Temper Elevate

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 54°/14° W-Grind w/KBS HI-REV 2.0 105

:EVNROLL: ER7 34”

image.png.11327db90df1932c3b37a9451ae0c6af.png MTB-Black

This might be a dumb question but with modern graphite shafts like the Motore X is "puring" even necessary and is it worth it for an average golfer? I have not read in this review thread if that was done for any of the testers. I saw an article several years ago singing its praises and see that its always an option when buying a shaft from online retailers like the Golfworks. Reading through this thread I noticed a number of club tinkerers who seem to try a lot of shafts which seems like it would be fun but could get a bit pricey. 

Puring is a proprietary approach that requires expensive equipment. Flo’ing is basically the same process to find the shafts spine.
Is it needed? manufacturers will say no that the tolerances prevent the need to pure a shaft. Some people will say that it is important and will make the performance better. I kind of fall into the thought that it won’t hurt performance so why not do it and I would love to try some shafts that have been pured. Lots of opinions on this topic.
  • Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Puring is a proprietary approach that requires expensive equipment. Flo’ing is basically the same process to find the shafts spine.

Is it needed? manufacturers will say no that the tolerances prevent the need to pure a shaft. Some people will say that it is important and will make the performance better. I kind of fall into the thought that it won’t hurt performance so why not do it and I would love to try some shafts that have been pured. Lots of opinions on this topic.

I’ve had pured shafts on all my clubs before - not really convinced that it mattered.

Shafts do matter to me at least later in life. This shaft is so stable! I feel that way about the shafts in my G30 and also about the shafts I my C100’s - matrix projects - those shafts were the bomb for my swing.

• Like 5

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

On 6/16/2020 at 6:47 PM, revkev said:

I’ve had pured shafts on all my clubs before - not really convinced that it mattered.

Shafts do matter to me at least later in life. This shaft is so stable! I feel that way about the shafts in my G30 and also about the shafts I my C100’s - matrix projects - those shafts were the bomb for my swing.

Those of you who also follow TXG may know the name Dr. Sasho MacKenzie; they've spoken about him several times in the past. He's a golf bio-mechanics researcher of note. Back in January he said in an Andrew Rice podcast that his research has shown very little benefit to shaft flo'ing. But if you do, the spine should be placed at 45 degs rather than straight horizontal or vertical.

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 10.5 w/ Motore X F3 65R shaft

:callaway-small:XR 5 Wood Fairway w/stock Project X Stiff shaft

:tour-edge: EXS220 3 & 4 Hybrid w/KBS TGI Tour Graphite Reg shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 54 & 58 deg wedges

:odyssey-small: White Ice Sabertooth putter

5 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Hey everybody! I know this thread is old news by now.. but I had the round of my life yesterday. I've really been finding my swing since we started testing with the Motore X.

Yesterday I played at the Sedona Golf Resort (10th anniversary/father's day gift from the Mrs). I shot a 75/71. As you can see from my Garmin stats, I was 13/13 for fairways hit! I've found a very reliable 5-10 yd fade. The front 9 seemed like It was just point and shoot. The back 9 however was a true test as the fairways were extremely tight and tricky, and I had to bounce back and forth from driver to 3 wood and even 4 iron to manage the layout. That said, this process has really helped me to develop a very reliable and controlled outcome.

Not only is my carry and total distance about 10 to 15 yds further than before, but I honestly feel like I'm swinging about half as hard. This has translated to, of course distance, but also control, and even maintaining stamina from the 1st to the 18th because I don't feel like I'm swinging out of my shoes to hit 285 - 300 us shots.

I really feel like my 2020 goal of breaking par and reducing my handicap to sub-5 is within my sights.

Screenshot_20200620-072829.jpeg38202.jpeg38198.jpeg0619201634.jpeg

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

Congrats on the great round @azstu324, sounds like your whole game is coming together!! It makes such a difference when you can stand on a tee and feel confident about where the ball is going to go.

The course photos are amazing too 😍😁😎

• Like 5

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King Forged Tec (2016) - LH - 4-PW - KBS C-Taper light Reg
Wedges: :cleveland-small:     RTX Zipcore - LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Barbados Island
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3

• STUDque unpinned this topic