TESTERS WANTED! ×

Blades vs. Game Improvement - Where's the Data?

HardcoreLooper

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... NRJyzr and Big Stu I had a student that was nowhere near a good enough ball striker to play MB's  but he was adamant that he hit them better than a more forgiving iron. I put a few GI's and players CB irons in his hands and sure enough, he hit them worse. It was all in his head of course but in the end, does that matter? At first I thought he was taking poor swings on purpose so he could stick with his MB's but I discarded that idea quickly because he honestly wanted to improve and worked hard between lessons. He was convinced he played better with MB's, so he did. He was with me a full year and improved quite a bit but never got to a high level of ball striking and I never questioned his iron choice again. Some players, that on paper should play better with GI's or at least players irons, just play better with MB's. I do not claim to have any insight into big Stu and Ed's games because I have never seen either play, but I have zero doubt they both play their best with MB's.  

Like I have heard you say many times before it can be between the ears. I think in my case it is because of what I cut my teeth on so to speak and I am strictly a feel and instinct player. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... NRJyzr and Big Stu I had a student that was nowhere near a good enough ball striker to play MB's  but he was adamant that he hit them better than a more forgiving iron. I put a few GI's and players CB irons in his hands and sure enough, he hit them worse. It was all in his head of course but in the end, does that matter? At first I thought he was taking poor swings on purpose so he could stick with his MB's but I discarded that idea quickly because he honestly wanted to improve and worked hard between lessons. He was convinced he played better with MB's, so he did. He was with me a full year and improved quite a bit but never got to a high level of ball striking and I never questioned his iron choice again. Some players, that on paper should play better with GI's or at least players irons, just play better with MB's. I do not claim to have any insight into big Stu and Ed's games because I have never seen either play, but I have zero doubt they both play their best with MB's.  

You know, Sam, the enormous irony of this....  I'm a big believer in the tech.  A rather active Inner Nerd in this boy.  I really like the concepts in drivers, fairway woods, irons...  I even went with a Craz-E putter for a while, because I'm not particularly good on the greens and figured the better MOI would suit me. 

And.... with the irons, it's been kind of a no go.  The Craz-E was a disaster for me, I lost all distance control.  I even find myself hitting persimmon woods or a J's Professional Weapon better than the King LTD I just pounded when I was demoing it.  

Stupid brain.

Those TP MC I got from you are pretty nice, but the short irons are a bit squirrely at times.  Thinking I could do well to use the 3 and maybe 4 in a mixed set.  Maybe one of these days.  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

6 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

You know, Sam, the enormous irony of this....  I'm a big believer in the tech.  A rather active Inner Nerd in this boy.  I really like the concepts in drivers, fairway woods, irons...  I even went with a Craz-E putter for a while, because I'm not particularly good on the greens and figured the better MOI would suit me. 

And.... with the irons, it's been kind of a no go.  The Craz-E was a disaster for me, I lost all distance control.  I even find myself hitting persimmon woods or a J's Professional Weapon better than the King LTD I just pounded when I was demoing it.  

Stupid brain.

Those TP MC I got from you are pretty nice, but the short irons are a bit squirrely at times.  Thinking I could do well to use the 3 and maybe 4 in a mixed set.  Maybe one of these days.  🙂

You know you brought up the putter thing. I do not know if I told this or not but basically I "inherited" 20 putters one of which was mine anyhow. Frankly this golf bud of mine is dying and he wanted me to have his putter collection. All of those putters have Super Stroke grips and are modern MOI types. I had been gaming one of 3 Bobby Grace V- Foil series and had practiced some with a Crazy and a Craze E. With any of the Grace ones I can putt decent. And Frankly I think the Grace putters are sexy. I do make it a point to practice with a Bulls Eye or Ironmaster style for feel etc. 3 weeks ago I putted lights out with the Bulls Eye in the Dog Fight.

Yesterday I was doing my practice routine and one of my Dog Fight partners was out there. I had the Bulls Eye canning putts on the practice green. He asked "why in the hell would I put anything else in the bag?" He is old school like you and I are. He said you told me you are a feel and instinct player and play those blade Macs off of feel and instinct. The light bulb went off in my head here I was canning putts with a bare balls no thrills no gimmicks antique putter with a basic Ping Man grip. We ended up playing a match yesterday afternoon and I had the Bulls Eye in the bag. Yep the feel and instinct instantly came back. What is funny is back in my younger days I never cared for a Bulls Eye putter. I was either a Ironmaster man or Anser man. My most famous putter I guess was a Ping Zing 2 I carried over 20 years and still have. Funny thing is I remember is the greatest putter I ever saw was this old hustler named Charlie ( who is a story within his self) who could putt on any green with a flange Bulls Eye. So I guess i am going to try it for a while and truthfully it really feels good and relaxes me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I also think head size matters alot for some players.  I know for me the smaller the head the better I strike the ball.  Give me a bigger head and I will start to hit the ball off center.  I think knowing I have a smaller target to hit helps me concentrate.  

:titelist-small: 917 D2 9.5 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g 6.5
:taylormade-small: M2 (2017) 3W 17.5 -  
:ping-small: G 4H 22 - 
:titelist-small: 735cm 3 - PW - KBS Tour Black Nickel 115g ( R )
:vokey-small: SM4 Tour Chrome 52˚- 8˚ | 56˚- 8˚ | 60˚- 7˚ - True Temper Dynamic Gold ( W )
:cameron-small: California Coronado
:Snell: 
MTB-X
:Arccos:

2 hours ago, prussell24 said:

I also think head size matters alot for some players.  I know for me the smaller the head the better I strike the ball.  Give me a bigger head and I will start to hit the ball off center.  I think knowing I have a smaller target to hit helps me concentrate.  

I could see that.  Its much like when they say that you should pick a very specific target when you aim.  I think that part of my love for blades is that they are beautiful clubs that I want to hit and want to hit well and that inspire me to be that kind of a player.

With CBs, I expect them to be forgiving and to make me better than maybe I really am, so theres not that same level of drive or passion.  To me, a pure shot with a blade feels so good that I want to do it again and again.  With a CB, a great shot and an OK shot kind of feel the same, so its kind of like, "meh...whatever."

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how many caught this, but Kevin Na has come out in favour of GI irons. Yes, not that many look to Na as a source of wisdom for golf advice, but he is on the Tour and has one there, so that certainly puts him well above me. LOL. I was never going to play blades, but perhaps I can now feel better (less inadequate?) about playing GI or SGI irons.

During a recent chat on GOLF’s Fully Equipped podcast, Callaway staffer Kevin Na admitted blade irons aren’t his cup of tea. You read that right: a four-time PGA Tour winner is openly championing for forgiving cavity-back irons.

“I can’t play a blade,” Na said. “It’s too difficult, and I’m a pro golfer. I think a blade goes shorter. Off-center hits aren’t going to perform as well as cavity-backs. I don’t see a reason why you’d want to play a blade. I really don’t. I played blades in my early 20s, maybe one year — when I was dumb. But I’m wiser now and play a cavity-back.”

Na’s iron of choice is Callaway’s Apex Pro 16, but with the goal of embracing the perfect blend of workability and forgiveness that most better-player irons possess, he opted for a slightly larger Rogue Pro 4-iron at the top of the set.

“In the longer irons, I even look for more — I don’t want to say a high-handicapper club — a more forgiving club,” Na said.

https://www.golf.com/gear/irons/2020/04/11/kevin-na-callaway-apex-cavity-back-iron-fully-equipped/

Edited by cycleguy55

2 hours ago, cycleguy55 said:

I don't know how many caught this, but Kevin Na has come out in favour of GI irons. Yes, not that many look to Na as a source of wisdom for golf advice, but he is on the Tour and has one there, so that certainly puts him well above me. LOL. I was never going to play blades, but perhaps I can now feel better (less inadequate?) about playing GI or SGI irons.

During a recent chat on GOLF’s Fully Equipped podcast, Callaway staffer Kevin Na admitted blade irons aren’t his cup of tea. You read that right: a four-time PGA Tour winner is openly championing for forgiving cavity-back irons.

“I can’t play a blade,” Na said. “It’s too difficult, and I’m a pro golfer. I think a blade goes shorter. Off-center hits aren’t going to perform as well as cavity-backs. I don’t see a reason why you’d want to play a blade. I really don’t. I played blades in my early 20s, maybe one year — when I was dumb. But I’m wiser now and play a cavity-back.”

Na’s iron of choice is Callaway’s Apex Pro 16, but with the goal of embracing the perfect blend of workability and forgiveness that most better-player irons possess, he opted for a slightly larger Rogue Pro 4-iron at the top of the set.

“In the longer irons, I even look for more — I don’t want to say a high-handicapper club — a more forgiving club,” Na said.

https://www.golf.com/gear/irons/2020/04/11/kevin-na-callaway-apex-cavity-back-iron-fully-equipped/

Is he in favor of GI or a players cavity vice a blade. A players cavity is more forgiving than a blade but it’s still penalizes bad hits over a GI and isn’t in the GI cavity. But it’s really a no news story because there’s plenty of PGA pros who don’t play blades that have won on tour including multiple majors. The AP2 have been the number 1 iron on tour for several years. Jordan Spieth won his majors with them. 

While not a major winner and not having many Pga tour wins Lee Westwood has I210s in the bag and games i20s.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 4/15/2020 at 2:17 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Is he in favor of GI or a players cavity vice a blade. A players cavity is more forgiving than a blade but it’s still penalizes bad hits over a GI and isn’t in the GI cavity. But it’s really a no news story because there’s plenty of PGA pros who don’t play blades that have won on tour including multiple majors. The AP2 have been the number 1 iron on tour for several years. Jordan Spieth won his majors with them. 

While not a major winner and not having many Pga tour wins Lee Westwood has I210s in the bag and games i20s.

I stand corrected: Apex Pro irons are 'Players' clubs, while Na's Rogue Pro 4 iron is listed as a 'Players Distance' club.

I've been playing blades and players CBs for years and haven't found any difference in them. However, to actually SEE what a high MOI clubhead will do for me, I am contemplating doing a test. I checked the MOI on all of the irons I have at home and they are all in the 2000 - 2200 g/cm2 range. The JPX EZ head is measured at nearly 3500. I think I am going to get a used set of these, set them up with my preferred shafts and grips balanced to my taste and play the rest of this year with them. Work hard just like I do with my current sets. The biggest hurdle will be getting over the amount of offset they have. The lofts are a little stronger in the long irons, but not enough to cause a problem. Really curious to see what happens.

BT

24 minutes ago, RI_Redneck said:

I've been playing blades and players CBs for years and haven't found any difference in them. However, to actually SEE what a high MOI clubhead will do for me, I am contemplating doing a test. I checked the MOI on all of the irons I have at home and they are all in the 2000 - 2200 g/cm2 range. The JPX EZ head is measured at nearly 3500. I think I am going to get a used set of these, set them up with my preferred shafts and grips balanced to my taste and play the rest of this year with them. Work hard just like I do with my current sets. The biggest hurdle will be getting over the amount of offset they have. The lofts are a little stronger in the long irons, but not enough to cause a problem. Really curious to see what happens.

BT

... If the offset is distracting I would recommend bending them at least 1* weak and that can make a significant visual difference. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... If the offset is distracting I would recommend bending them at least 1* weak and that can make a significant visual difference. 

Even though they're 17-4 stainless, I'm seriously considering that. I don't want to change them if I don't have to though. I can probably get by with enough practice with them. I'm a range rat, so enough practice won't be a problem. Just picked up a set of Program F15 120 S to go in them and I have some grips at home. Should be interesting.

BT

I think the biggest difference for me is distance control.   With a blade or players cb I know that when i pure it, it will be a certain distance And when I miss I know it will be short.

i have tried gi irons because the logical side of me says, “why not make the game easier”.    On the plus,  wow I sure could hit those things far.   The bad side is i never really knew how far.    There were so many times I would be sitting on a par three,  I would pure one and it would just sail over the green.  My ego loved it,  but taking triple cause the other side was water was not good for the scorecard.   Since I switched back to players cavity, that never happens.

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 2:45 PM, RI_Redneck said:

BT

I thought I'd have a problem with additional offset going from old Mizuno MX-200s to Cobra F8s, but it wasn't too bad.  I haven't seen the JPX EZ head, so I can't comment on that.

On 4/22/2020 at 6:58 AM, Hotdocta said:

I think the biggest difference for me is distance control.   With a blade or players cb I know that when i pure it, it will be a certain distance And when I miss I know it will be short.

i have tried gi irons because the logical side of me says, “why not make the game easier”.    On the plus,  wow I sure could hit those things far.   The bad side is i never really knew how far.    There were so many times I would be sitting on a par three,  I would pure one and it would just sail over the green.  My ego loved it,  but taking triple cause the other side was water was not good for the scorecard.   Since I switched back to players cavity, that never happens.

@Hotdocta - What GIs did you try?  Those unexpected rockets were definitely an issue back in the day.  Again, I can only speak for my own experience with Cobra (and the experience of my fellow competitors in the Cobra Connect Challenge), but we weren't seeing that.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

51 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I thought I'd have a problem with additional offset going from old Mizuno MX-200s to Cobra F8s, but it wasn't too bad.  I haven't seen the JPX EZ head, so I can't comment on that.

@Hotdocta - What GIs did you try?  Those unexpected rockets were definitely an issue back in the day.  Again, I can only speak for my own experience with Cobra (and the experience of my fellow competitors in the Cobra Connect Challenge), but we weren't seeing that.

I tried, pxg  0311p (gamed these for 2 years) callaway apex,  callaway epic forged, Tm m6, srixon 565.

Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

I'm not trying to stir the pot...but I just watched this video, and I'm curious what some more knowledgeable people's opinions are on the matter?

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

@ncwoz

This image stands out to me -

image.png.e39e48c7fe50a47a7503f348fb6876a6.png

He seemed to have a lot more "Good strikes" with the blade? 

My argument would be that Crossfield is an N=1 case study, and that different people would all register different results. 

I'm not one to "stir the pot," I suppose. I'd advise everyone to play what makes them happy and what makes the game fun for them. 

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

On 4/22/2020 at 6:58 AM, Hotdocta said:

But wouldn’t any club that you pure go further than your other shots? Other than the apex cf16 for many and for a few the p790 and i500 these had those occasional fliers but when many amateurs experience that type of results it’s from that s*** where everything fell in place and the property compressed the ball

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

[mention=88299]ncwoz[/mention]
My argument would be that Crossfield is an N=1 case study, and that different people would all register different results. 
I'm not one to "stir the pot," I suppose. I'd advise everyone to play what makes them happy and what makes the game fun for them. 

Also tells me what my experience is between these two types of irons, the distance gap is narrower with blades. Look at the grouping on the good and poor strikes with the blade, much tighter. I can play with a ten yard gap to manage misses but double that and it is hard to manage. Worst thing most good players don’t want to experience is not knowing how far a club will go.

The other telling graph was related to spin and how much tighter it is with a blade; which plays into how much tighter distance is. The SGI irons have a place in this game and work for a lot of people but in the end they don’t work for all players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* SHAFT TBD...

:taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

:callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

:callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

6 hours ago, edingc said:

@ncwoz

Yeah, I definitely agree there's more good strikes with the blade. But like @RickyBobby_PR said, maybe more important is that the poor and very poor shots are grouped a lot tighter.

I do wonder if perhaps the mat might be altering the outcome some? Or something else I can't think of. I also think it's curious why Crossfield games the Launchers if this video seems to suggest blades are the way to go, even if that's just for him.

I'm not totally sure what to do with it to be honest! I do like Mark's honest and frank perspectives. I think I remember TXG doing a video on blades vs GI irons, but I don't remember their conclusion. I'll have to dig that up and watch it tomorrow to jog my memory.

Right Handed

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

WITB thread here

Yeah, I definitely agree there's more good strikes with the blade. But like [mention=65848]RickyBobby_PR[/mention] said, maybe more important is that the poor and very poor shots are grouped a lot tighter.
I do wonder if perhaps the mat might be altering the outcome some? Or something else I can't think of. I also think it's curious why Crossfield games the Launchers if this video seems to suggest blades are the way to go, even if that's just for him.
I'm not totally sure what to do with it to be honest! I do like Mark's honest and frank perspectives. I think I remember TXG doing a video on blades vs GI irons, but I don't remember their conclusion. I'll have to dig that up and watch it tomorrow to jog my memory.

Juuuust because it showed up on my suggested videos...

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

But wouldn’t any club that you pure go further than your other shots? Other than the apex cf16 for many and for a few the p790 and i500 these had those occasional fliers but when many amateurs experience that type of results it’s from that s*** where everything fell in place and the property compressed the ball

No,  I am fairly consistent at finding the middle.   When I pure my mc501 7 iron it goes 177-182.  If I miss it it will be a bit short but nothing to bad.  With any of the above irons I bet at least twice a round I would “pure” a shot thinking it was going to be right beside the pin and end up air mailing the green.   I am not talking about flyers from the rough or those shots that go further because of adrenaline I am talking about stock shot.

Edited by Hotdocta

7 hours ago, B.Boston said:

LOL you and everyone else knows which one I would go for out of those 2. 

Edited by BIG STU

G

No,  I am fairly consistent at finding the middle.   When I pure my mc501 7 iron it goes 177-182.  If I miss it it will be a bit short but nothing to bad.  With any of the above irons I bet at least twice a round I would “pure” a shot thinking it was going to be right beside the pin and end up air mailing the green.   I am not talking about flyers from the rough or those shots that go further because of adrenaline I am talking about stock shot.

Yeah, while I haven’t done any of my own real testing I remember reading about how the AP2s were designed to not have “hot spots” like other clubs at the time.

It was suggesting that irons chasing distance with more spring like faces would not be as consistent distance wise.

It appears that Mark might be seeing something like this in his shots here, but I’m not sure. I’m pretty sure I but my AP2 the same distance as I was hitting my r7 irons before that.

I will say the only time I really feel like I airmailed one is from a flyer lie or if I misjudge the wind, but the AP2 are not close to a blade. Haha

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

LOL you and everyone else knows which one I would go for out of those 2. 

The big question we all have is MacGregor or Miura in Big Stu’s dream bag?

8 hours ago, B.Boston said:

They also did this follow up video with a G400 vs Miura for a little more extreme example than the Srixon

Right Handed

WITB thread here

They also did this follow up video with a G400 vs Miura for a little more extreme example than the Srixon

For those interested:

7 hours ago, Hotdocta said:

While finding the middle is good it’s not an indication of puring imo. Puring a shot to me is proper compression of the ball and the sound/feel of softness. Considering even the pros don’t pure 100% of their shots even though the find the middle quite frequently us amatuers arent puring a lot of shots.

We may see the consistency in distances and consistency in distance lost on missed shots when a shot is properly compressed compared to our normal shot there’s going to be some added distance.

As mentioned in my early reply there have been some clubs that have known hot shots like the cf16 and other that have reports of them but not nearly to the extent the cf16 has. Someone with you distance is probably prone to the hot shots for some of the clubs that have had those reports. 

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

For those interested:

I meant to throw the link in myself, must have forgot 😂. Thanks for covering me!

Right Handed

WITB thread here

I meant to throw the link in myself, must have forgot . Thanks for covering me!

Don’t thank me! Thank apple, google, YouTube, Facebook, and whoever else is stealing all the data from my phone because both of those videos were right on my suggested playlist.