Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MGS - Most Wanted Irons - Spin Numbers

PutzyBoButtzy

Hey All!

Just a general question! Love the most wanted reviews, great level of detail, and great visualizations via Tableau for all the data collected. Out of curiosity tho, is it a bit odd that for Players' Iron category, that out of all thousands of data points collected that the 7-irons that the Total spin numbers generally hover around the low to mid 4000s.  I know the numbers don't have to be 6000s to 7000s RPMs for 7 iron, but would it be fair to say that the 4000 RPM number is generally low, and potentially inflate numbers?

Is this a function of low club head speed, is it is a function of lower lofts? For fitters, would you let a customer walk away with a low 4000 RPM 7 iron spin?

Thanks!

I haven't looked at the data, but I would guess it's a combination of lower loft and the CG placement.  

You can't just look at spin numbers though, you also need to see height and angle of decent.  It's the combination of those 3 numbers that determine if you can hold a green or not.  As the spin gets lower, if the height and decent angle increase you will still have a decent shot at holding greens.

Also if you are thinking in your head of the 'old' spin recommendations it helps to thing of that 7i as being a 6i or possibly even a 5i compared to the lofts that were around when those spin number guide lines were created.

But yes, 4k spin for a 7i seems pretty low to me.  That's a common complaint with PD irons, if done incorrectly you end up with low spin rockets that can't hold a green.  That's why fitting is so important and not just seeing how far you can hit on a launch monitor

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Two things:
Hitting off mats means higher face contact meaning lower spin 
They were using a low compression ball for testing (Bridgestone RX), which means less spin. I believe MGS is going to be using the BX for testing this year 

Yes BX is being used for testing.

Additionally it is an average number over multiple golfers. I may average 6000 another 4000 so we get an average of 5000.

I wouldn’t put much stock in the actual numbers, the good thing is you are looking at multiple clubs hit in the same environment. So looking across the clubs you can do club to club comparisons. For example I can add 2000 rpm to all those numbers and the comparison between clubs will basically be the same. I would still have to find out how that club performs for me through actual testing.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG