TESTERS WANTED! ×

Peter Kostis Unvarnished Truth Interview about the PGA Tour, and Patrick Reed the outright cheater

Mr. 82

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nlu-podcast-episode-282-peter-kostis/id880837011?i=1000466022413

You can read Geoff Shackelford's blog about this as well at https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2020/2/18/kostis-the-pga-tour-doesnt-give-a-rats-ass-about-the-quality-of-the-telecast-they-dont-care-about-the-quality-of-the-viewer-experience

with the best quote from his interview being...Kostis: "The PGA Tour doesn't give a rat’s ass about the quality of the telecast. They don’t care about the quality of the viewer experience."

Go to 45 minutes in this interview for Kostis' take on Patrick "Cheater" Reed.

"I've followed Patrick Reed 4 or 5 times when it was obvious he was improving his lie. He'd put 3 or 4 clubs behind the ball in what was originally a sand wedge shot, where he eventually hit 3 wood. It was so blatant at times that when he was done doing what he was doing I could easily see the Callaway logo on the ball."

I'm paraphrasing what he said, but man, if anyone has any doubts that Patrick Reed was a full fledged cheater, I think it's safe to say we can put that doubt to bed.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Must be a slow news day for PGA topics. It's time to move on from the Reed topic. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

20 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Must be a slow news day for PGA topics. It's time to move on from the Reed topic. 

The podcast linked above is far more than another Reed take!  It's an eye opening insight as to what goes on behind the scenes of PGA Tour broadcasts.

1 minute ago, sixcat said:

The podcast linked above is far more than another Reed take!  It's an eye opening insight as to what goes on behind the scenes of PGA Tour broadcasts.

thank you for clarifying.  Kostis' take on the behind the scenes of the broadcast was most of the interview.  Then they got bored near the end and went off on Reed.  Listen to the podcast mostly for the CBS/PGA Tour comments.  The Reed comments were just a bonus to me honestly.

Miss kostis, he was the only part of CBS broadcast worth anything.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

1 minute ago, Mr. 82 said:

thank you for clarifying.  Kostis' take on the behind the scenes of the broadcast was most of the interview.  Then they got bored near the end and went off on Reed.  Listen to the podcast mostly for the CBS/PGA Tour comments.  The Reed comments were just a bonus to me honestly.

Kostis certainly doesn't pull any punches.  The reasoning behind him and McCord being let go by CBS makes the PGA Tour look completely out of touch with reality.  They simply don't have a finger on the pulse of the problems with golf broadcasting if they believed getting younger is the solution.  I assumed the PGA Tour were playing puppet master when broadcasts are concerned but never dreamed it would be to the level Kostis points out.

I saw this posted last night by the NLU guys and I plan to listen to it on my way home tonight....interested to hear the PGA tour inside comments

1641152206_TaylorMadelogo.png.1a4d69c9e3e98b4a2cc285ddd4f44160.png M5 9 deg [Project X Evenflow Black 65g] // 1641152206_TaylorMadelogo.png.1a4d69c9e3e98b4a2cc285ddd4f44160.png SIM Max 3w 15 deg [Fujikura Ventus Blue 5-R] // 1818715690_mizunologo.png.362d1f007e2345c895a2a095ac1d19d1.png JPX 919 5i-PW // 1641152206_TaylorMadelogo.png.1a4d69c9e3e98b4a2cc285ddd4f44160.png ATV Grind Wedges 52-60 [KBS Tour Steel] // 1455271488_Odysseylogo.jpg.b9b3d31d23a9b217779870779776c15d.jpg Stroke Lab 7 // 1641152206_TaylorMadelogo.png.1a4d69c9e3e98b4a2cc285ddd4f44160.png TP5 // 1818715690_mizunologo.png.362d1f007e2345c895a2a095ac1d19d1.png BRD-4 [Cart-Red-Gray] // adidas_logo_21.png.8b407cf238a5268554c70f59912c11a7.png CodeChaos [White-Red]

1448174426_SuperSpeedLogo2.png.17b2bb92c3fb344ab94e0e85f7419d12.png SuperSpeed 2020 Testing Group

Initial Driver Swing Speed: 95 mph

21 minutes ago, Middler said:

If the PGA has crossed some credibility line with golf coverage versus promoting and marketing their product, it's not that clear to me. But I'm an old fuddy duddy, and I try to keep that in mind...

How many WGC Mexico promo 30 second spots did you see during last week's Genesis Invitational?  I lost count after about 50.  Frankly these are the most godawful promo videos too, because the music is absolutely horrible, and the graphics are just disgusting to me.  The people that producing these promos should be fired as it makes me NOT want to watch any WGC event just to spite the people producing these promos.

Kostis is spot on in the fact that PGA Tour only cares about promoting it's product, and the broadcast itself continues to suffer and is borderline worthless.

1 hour ago, Middler said:

I admitted I must be missing something, clearly a lot of people feel the same way you do regarding broadcast quality. As long as I see a lot of good, and some bad shots, in reasonable sequence and an updated leader board throughout - that's most of what I'm hoping to see. The graphics and camera work has never been better IMO.

There are too many ads and tedious promos, but that's in no way unique to golf, it's true for all major sports and most other broadcasts. For example I love pro football, but the amount of crap you have to wade through to watch the NFL on TV is staggering, and only likely to get worse. Kostis comes off sounding like it's unique to golf on TV and it's an easily solvable problem if not for the PGA - I'd contend it's a FAR broader phenomena. Again, I like(d) Kostis and was sorry to see him go, but...

But again, I think the podcast is interesting and worth a listen. I am interested in Kostis POV, but I'm interested in other POVs too.

Sometimes, you don't know what you're missing until someone shows you.  For me personally, I began to notice what I was missing when I started streaming The Masters, The PGA and The US Open.  The streaming "feature groups" and "feature holes" content is far and away better than anything on broadcast TV. 

The coverage of The Genesis over the weekend was the worst I can recall seeing.  Golf Digest has detailed everything CBS screwed up so, I won't rehash it here except to say, coverage has progressively gotten worse over the past decade to the point that they aren't even trying anymore.  And the PGA Tour keeps raising rates for broadcasting rights.  Which keeps the networks having to find ways to cut corners. 

I didn't listen to or read any of this really. But the part about Kostis basically calling Reid a cheater is dumb. I'd wager there will be a lawsuit coming. Not smart on his part IMO as I suspect Reid might be a litigious type.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Kostis certainly doesn't pull any punches.  The reasoning behind him and McCord being let go by CBS makes the PGA Tour look completely out of touch with reality.  They simply don't have a finger on the pulse of the problems with golf broadcasting if they believed getting younger is the solution.  I assumed the PGA Tour were playing puppet master when broadcasts are concerned but never dreamed it would be to the level Kostis points out.

Especially since DLIII is a train wreck. He could be good one day but needs a lot of time and coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

And the PGA Tour keeps raising rates for broadcasting rights.  Which keeps the networks having to find ways to cut corners. 

I'm only about 20 minutes into the podcast, but the commentary on the impact of increasing rights fees just nailed it.  This is a freaking race to the bottom.  Frankly, I can't watch live golf coverage anymore other than the majors.  I'd rather DVR it and fast forward through commercials, inane chatter, and hundreds of shots of Tiger when he's out of contention.  You can watch the best part of the coverage in about an hour if you fast-forward through all of the crap.  I'm sure the tour and the networks hate people like me. 

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

1 hour ago, Jmikecpa said:

Especially since DLIII is a train wreck. He could be good one day but needs a lot of time and coaching.

They should have had him calling KornFerry on TGC for at least a few months before getting called up to the Show.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

They should have had him calling KornFerry on TGC for at least a few months before getting called up to the Show.

He gives great insight, my personal favorite is “he is hit some sort of lofted club”. Thanks DLIII for narrowing that down for me.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

47 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

He gives great insight, my personal favorite is “he is hit some sort of lofted club”. Thanks DLIII for narrowing that down for me.

Brad Faxon has been interviewed by both NLU and The Fried Egg, and he was excellent on both.  And he talks about the "no s***" rule.  If he says something obvious, his producer is yelling "no s***" in his ear.  I get the feeling that CBS doesn't do that with DLIII.  The sad thing is that, as a player, he should be able to offer some insight about the lie, the stance, where the bad miss is, where the player will bail out under pressure.  Tell me something I can't see.  I'm getting close to watching CBS with the sound off.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Brad Faxon has been interviewed by both NLU and The Fried Egg, and he was excellent on both.  And he talks about the "no s***" rule.  If he says something obvious, his producer is yelling "no s***" in his ear.  I get the feeling that CBS doesn't do that with DLIII.  The sad thing is that, as a player, he should be able to offer some insight about the lie, the stance, where the bad miss is, where the player will bail out under pressure.  Tell me something I can't see.  I'm getting close to watching CBS with the sound off.

That is why Bones is so damn good as was Kostis and McCord.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

9 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

In my humble opinion, Brad Faxon and Shane Bacon should be the lead duo for all broadcast TV golf!  They are individually, the best in the business but collectively, something special. 

14 hours ago, Middler said:

OK, so I did a search and found a link https://www.golfdigest.com/story/cbs-sports-broadcast-mistakes-during-genesis-invitational-draw-criticism. Clear mistakes but picking nits to me, but that may not be the prevailing view - so I’ll shut up now on this thread.

I don't see completely glossing over HVIII's cold top on the most iconic par 4 in the world as "picking nits," but that's just me.  The only reason they came back 90 minutes later with a grainy video montage that was obviously shot by something other than CBS television cameras was because Twitter went appshit!  But again, that's described chapter and verse in the linked podcast.  I'm glad you're able to enjoy the telecasts the way they are.  I would prefer to try to affect some change to improve the product we are being presented.

Dottie Pepper has always been one of the more competent on-course personalities.  She is great at what she does.  But she has been off her game a lot lately.  I can't help but think that's because DLIII is so bad, he is destroying the chemistry and flow of the telecast. 

I'm just happy we get NBC until Augusta!  If one pays close enough attention, one can easily see how much better the production value is over CBS!  Is there any more doubt the European Tour product is infinitely better than what we get in the US?

41 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Twitter went appshit

I hope that's an intentional pun. I am stealing that line. 

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

14 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I didn't listen to or read any of this really. But the part about Kostis basically calling Reid a cheater is dumb. I'd wager there will be a lawsuit coming. Not smart on his part IMO as I suspect Reid might be a litigious type.

Well, I guess you'll have to listen to the podcast to decide for yourself.  What Kostis says and what I paraphrased here are two totally different things.  Kostis is not in any danger of a lawsuit, I'll just say that.  Reed on the other hand, is in danger of completely losing the trust of the spectating public.  I think it's fair to say that his peers already have an established view of this prick.

Just now, sixcat said:

Can't take credit. Stole it from my brother.

I'll give proper attribution.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

17 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

He's good. Not much Reed can do other than send a cease and desist letter like he did to Brandel and some others. Kostis specifically mentioned that he couldn't speak to Reed's intent, but that he saw him improve his lie multiple times. And that this wasn't a common thing for Tour Pros.

I thought the entire interview was great. It's nice when you get someone who won't pull punches, which is rare when concerning the PGA tour.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

2 hours ago, newballcoach said:

I am a huge No Laying Up fan and this interview is exactly why. They are willing to question things maybe other golf media won't question and will use social media to get their point across. Sometimes it does seem like pilling on, but I did like how Soly in this interview was very clear to say, "we have been ripping CBS for their coverage but have started to realize it comes more from the PGA tour then from the individual networks." They aren't afraid to be wrong either. 

Kostis' information about having to pay the bills, having to mention FedEx, and Korn Ferry and promos for other events all cuts into golf. The commercials have gone up to help CBS turn a profit when the rights fees go up. And he is certain nobody at the PGA tour cares about the quality of the broadcast or the viewer experience. Then he references Steve Jobs being dismissed at Apple as them losing sight of what makes them great.

They are excellent points. When you alienate your viewership (that you are paying millions of dollars to have the right to broadcast to) you are putting short-term financial gain over long-term healthy sustainability and success. And I think as much as people are scoffing at the potential of the Premier Golf League right now, if they were able to offer a Masters quality viewing experience (with online shots being available) as well as their usual excellent production values and commentary, they have the potential to really hurt the PGA tour and the networks. They should be working together to make their broadcasts absolutely top-notch to stay ahead of the PGL, or they are in danger of getting passed. The tour does a terrible job with their online presence and broadcasts because profit is king, and that has the potential to really hurt going forward. 

And as much as people are tired of hearing about the Reed stuff, the fact that nobody on the PGA tour will talk about it or discipline him is the real problem. The guy is rampantly cheating and nothing is done because the PGA tour is member-run and they don't want the bad press. Ridiculous. We should hear about it every single day until something is done. 

I thought the Steve Jobs analogy was brilliant.  If your product is great, revenue will come without having to sell your soul for every nickel you can get.  Kostis even mentioned interviewing a rookie who had just won his first event on Tour.  He asked the rookie what it meant to have status for the next two years and to qualify for the Masters.  The PGA Tour called him into the "principals" office and reprimanded him for not mentioning the 500 FedEx Cup points and informed him that mentioning majors wasn't beneficial to the PGA Tour brand. 

It's so disingenuous (shout-out Tron) and scummy (shout out NLU)!

12 minutes ago, Undershooter said:

He's good. Not much Reed can do other than send a cease and desist letter like he did to Brandel and some others. Kostis specifically mentioned that he couldn't speak to Reed's intent, but that he saw him improve his lie multiple times. And that this wasn't a common thing for Tour Pros.

I thought the entire interview was great. It's nice when you get someone who won't pull punches, which is rare when concerning the PGA tour.

Video of the incident at The Barclays was on Youtube, complete with Kostis commentary.  Something to the effect of....

(Faldo) "Can he get a metal wood on the back of that lie Peter?" 

(Kostis) "He can now!  He certainly doesn't have the same lie he had a few minutes ago"

The video appears to have been "whitewashed" by the PGA Tour!

I haven't paid too much attention to the NLU podcast but I certainly will now.  Thanks for the discussion about it fellas.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Listened to the podcast yesterday and will probably go back and listen to it again as I have with many NLU podcasts. I don't doubt much of anything PK said in the interview. He was very honest in his assessment of the tour, the telecast, and Reed. The fact that he wasn't even provided a reason for being let go and then offered a chance to "retire" at WMOP seems like good evidence there was some string pulling going on - to put it nicely. 

To those griping about the Patrick Reed deal being old news, I'll just say this. The integrity of the game is always a relevant topic and those who blatantly mock it at the highest level should be called out at every opportunity. If Patrick ever at any point showed some symbolism of remorse for his actions then maybe I'd agree we should move on, but he didn't; he never has and it is unlikely he ever will.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Video of the incident at The Barclays was on Youtube, complete with Kostis commentary.  Something to the effect of....

(Faldo) "Can he get a metal wood on the back of that lie Peter?" 

(Kostis) "He can now!  He certainly doesn't have the same lie he had a few minutes ago"

The video appears to have been "whitewashed" by the PGA Tour!

I remember seeing the clip months ago, even before the recent Kostis interview, and thought: "Wow, PK just called him out." Generally announcers make excuses for players but not there. It was refreshing.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged