Mr. 82

Peter Kostis Unvarnished Truth Interview about the PGA Tour, and Patrick Reed the outright cheater

Our Sponsors

1 hour ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I hope that's an intentional pun. I am stealing that line. 

Can't take credit. Stole it from my brother.

• Like 1

Just now, sixcat said:

Can't take credit. Stole it from my brother.

I'll give proper attribution.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I'll give proper attribution.

He is a 20-year veteran of Charlotte's finest.  Evidently, it's a common phrase among the brethren.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I didn't listen to or read any of this really. But the part about Kostis basically calling Reid a cheater is dumb. I'd wager there will be a lawsuit coming. Not smart on his part IMO as I suspect Reid might be a litigious type.

He's good. Not much Reed can do other than send a cease and desist letter like he did to Brandel and some others. Kostis specifically mentioned that he couldn't speak to Reed's intent, but that he saw him improve his lie multiple times. And that this wasn't a common thing for Tour Pros.

I thought the entire interview was great. It's nice when you get someone who won't pull punches, which is rare when concerning the PGA tour.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, newballcoach said:

I am a huge No Laying Up fan and this interview is exactly why. They are willing to question things maybe other golf media won't question and will use social media to get their point across. Sometimes it does seem like pilling on, but I did like how Soly in this interview was very clear to say, "we have been ripping CBS for their coverage but have started to realize it comes more from the PGA tour then from the individual networks." They aren't afraid to be wrong either. 

Kostis' information about having to pay the bills, having to mention FedEx, and Korn Ferry and promos for other events all cuts into golf. The commercials have gone up to help CBS turn a profit when the rights fees go up. And he is certain nobody at the PGA tour cares about the quality of the broadcast or the viewer experience. Then he references Steve Jobs being dismissed at Apple as them losing sight of what makes them great.

They are excellent points. When you alienate your viewership (that you are paying millions of dollars to have the right to broadcast to) you are putting short-term financial gain over long-term healthy sustainability and success. And I think as much as people are scoffing at the potential of the Premier Golf League right now, if they were able to offer a Masters quality viewing experience (with online shots being available) as well as their usual excellent production values and commentary, they have the potential to really hurt the PGA tour and the networks. They should be working together to make their broadcasts absolutely top-notch to stay ahead of the PGL, or they are in danger of getting passed. The tour does a terrible job with their online presence and broadcasts because profit is king, and that has the potential to really hurt going forward. 

And as much as people are tired of hearing about the Reed stuff, the fact that nobody on the PGA tour will talk about it or discipline him is the real problem. The guy is rampantly cheating and nothing is done because the PGA tour is member-run and they don't want the bad press. Ridiculous. We should hear about it every single day until something is done. 

I thought the Steve Jobs analogy was brilliant.  If your product is great, revenue will come without having to sell your soul for every nickel you can get.  Kostis even mentioned interviewing a rookie who had just won his first event on Tour.  He asked the rookie what it meant to have status for the next two years and to qualify for the Masters.  The PGA Tour called him into the "principals" office and reprimanded him for not mentioning the 500 FedEx Cup points and informed him that mentioning majors wasn't beneficial to the PGA Tour brand. 

It's so disingenuous (shout-out Tron) and scummy (shout out NLU)!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Undershooter said:

He's good. Not much Reed can do other than send a cease and desist letter like he did to Brandel and some others. Kostis specifically mentioned that he couldn't speak to Reed's intent, but that he saw him improve his lie multiple times. And that this wasn't a common thing for Tour Pros.

I thought the entire interview was great. It's nice when you get someone who won't pull punches, which is rare when concerning the PGA tour.

Video of the incident at The Barclays was on Youtube, complete with Kostis commentary.  Something to the effect of....

(Faldo) "Can he get a metal wood on the back of that lie Peter?" 

(Kostis) "He can now!  He certainly doesn't have the same lie he had a few minutes ago"

The video appears to have been "whitewashed" by the PGA Tour!

• Like 5

I haven't paid too much attention to the NLU podcast but I certainly will now.  Thanks for the discussion about it fellas.

• Like 2

Listened to the podcast yesterday and will probably go back and listen to it again as I have with many NLU podcasts. I don't doubt much of anything PK said in the interview. He was very honest in his assessment of the tour, the telecast, and Reed. The fact that he wasn't even provided a reason for being let go and then offered a chance to "retire" at WMOP seems like good evidence there was some string pulling going on - to put it nicely. 

To those griping about the Patrick Reed deal being old news, I'll just say this. The integrity of the game is always a relevant topic and those who blatantly mock it at the highest level should be called out at every opportunity. If Patrick ever at any point showed some symbolism of remorse for his actions then maybe I'd agree we should move on, but he didn't; he never has and it is unlikely he ever will.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Video of the incident at The Barclays was on Youtube, complete with Kostis commentary.  Something to the effect of....

(Faldo) "Can he get a metal wood on the back of that lie Peter?" 

(Kostis) "He can now!  He certainly doesn't have the same lie he had a few minutes ago"

The video appears to have been "whitewashed" by the PGA Tour!

I remember seeing the clip months ago, even before the recent Kostis interview, and thought: "Wow, PK just called him out." Generally announcers make excuses for players but not there. It was refreshing.

• Like 4

Just now, Undershooter said:

I remember seeing the clip months ago, even before the recent Kostis interview, and thought: "Wow, PK just called him out." Generally announcers make excuses for players but not there. It was refreshing.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

I haven't paid too much attention to the NLU podcast but I certainly will now.  Thanks for the discussion about it fellas.

A few recommendations of past episodes that I consider "must listens," if I may.  Episodes 170 and 212 with Max Homa are absolute found money!  If you listen to nothing else, listen to those in order.  Other great episodes I steer friends toward are Steve Elkington, Lanny Wadkins, Joel Dahmen, Eddie Pepperell, and any episode with Scott Van Pelt and KVV (Kevin Van Valkenburg).  

On that note, the new podcast with Shane Bacon and Max Homa (Get A Grip) is brilliant.  The best and worst things Max heard this week are hilarious.  I think they will eventually have to change that segment though.  People are going to start saying stuff to Max at tournaments in an attempt to get on the Pod.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Mr. 82 said:

Pretty clear what PK was suggesting!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

A few recommendations of past episodes that I consider "must listens," if I may.  Episodes 170 and 212 with Max Homa are absolute found money!  If you listen to nothing else, listen to those in order.  Other great episodes I steer friends toward are Steve Elkington, Lanny Wadkins, Joel Dahmen, Eddie Pepperell, and any episode with Scott Van Pelt and KVV (Kevin Van Valkenburg).  

On that note, the new podcast with Shane Bacon and Max Home (Get A Grip) is brilliant.  The best and worst things Max heard this week are hilarious.  I think they will eventually have to change that segment though.  People are going to start saying stuff to Max at tournaments in an attempt to get on the Pod.

Great recommendations! I loved the Max Homa interviews and the Joel Dahmen interview was especially entertaining to me.

I've listened to 2/3 of their new podcast. Need to give a listen to that last one, but definitely enjoying what they do as well.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Great recommendations! I loved the Max Homa interviews and the Joel Dahmen interview was especially entertaining to me.

I've listened to 2/3 of their new podcast. Need to give a listen to that last one, but definitely enjoying what they do as well.

Big fan of NLU here as well.  I'll clearly have to check out Get a Grip.  The two Brad Faxon episodes are some of my favorites (255, 276)

Thought that Kostis' comments were refreshing and I appreciated his honesty (although I'll admit there was definitely some bitterness toward a former employer)

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Dahmen's caddie Geno Bonnalie was waiting to pick Dahmen up from the airport in Roanoke, VA last fall for the Greenbrier.  This is very near where i live.  If you don't follow Geno on Twitter, he is hilarious.  Dahmen is pretty funny too.

• Haha 2

CPG for the win

IMG_0666.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

CPG for the win

IMG_0666.jpg.ec87658cdaa8f4efb723afc4d2e798fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that’s funny

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1