TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putting Grip

Curious how everyone sets up with their putting grip. Past 2 years i have recently started putting with my pointer finger on the back side of the grip as a stabilizer. Has drastically improved my putting game. 

Any other different styles out there? Any specific things you do when putting (I take 1 practice stroke and go for example). I am a creature of habit on the course but specifically putting. I try to do the same thing every time (its the baseball player in me).

image.jpeg.64cb89a91fffebb6b9ac9391ca88f36e.jpeg

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Here's mine. Left hand is very slightly low: the big knuckle of my left thumb fits in just before the same knuckle of my right. I extend both forefingers down the grip; as I way of guarding against the pull (my more common miss), I don't want to let my right forefinger move outside my left.

In my practice this winter, I've started using a rhythm to my putting. I set my putter in the line I want and step in, then start counting in my head:

1. Exhale
  2. Forward press
  3. Backstroke
  4. Impact
  5. Keep looking at the spot where the ball was

Again, I'm not thinking any of those words. I'm just counting, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Hold everything together, gives the swing a repeatable tempo, and that last beat (keep looking at the spot) has a noticable effect in improving my results.

IMG_20200204_151725_2.jpg

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

That’s a great thought. So important to focus on that spot where e ball is and was. Forces you to really focus on contact. You should have the alignment so hit it! Can’t hit it if you’re eyes aren’t on the ball (there goes that baseball thought process again).

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

@GolfSpy MPR how does that grip feel overall? I know “loose grip” is a good grip but at first did it feel weak?

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

It's hard to say; I've been using this grip for a couple of seasons, so I don't have much reference for comparison any more. I don't make a conscious effort to grip the putter loosely; in fact, I think I probably have a bit of tension in my hands. But the grip itself, with my hands so close together, isn't giving me a lot of leverage.

The whole thing (grip and sequence) looks like this:

Full WITB with pictures

I do the claw.  I find that it helps me from getting too handsy and flippy.  Id been struggling to start my putts on my intended line lately and I find that the claw helps me to fix that.  Ive tried the pencil grip too but just found it to be uncomfortable.  I like the claw,

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Nice topic Mark,

For my grip I use a pistol style grip because I like my top hand feeling full and like to feel like my palm is flat against the side of the grip parallel to the face. Then my bottom hand just sits below that and I haven’t given it much thought really, just what ever is comfortable.

Last year I did change my routine a bit as I felt like I was getting locked up on some longer or tricky reads. I started leaving my bottom hand off until right before I was ready to putt. After visualizing my putt for the last time I’ll place my right hand on the grip and pull quickly after that. Or, if I do have my hand on the grip before that I’ll leave my right thumb up until I’m ready to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

7 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Nice topic Mark,

Bonus points for incorporating toe wiggles into your routine 🙂

Full WITB with pictures

Bonus points for incorporating toe wiggles into your routine 

I can’t help it... those are mandatory. I wasn’t sure if anyone was going to pick up on those. Pretty sure you would see them in my videos for the AlignXL testing too. Gotta stay loose!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Toe wiggles are absolutely mandatory....all facets of the game Bahahaha image.gif.36526cc23f5e4562a4c3692ad8c007d5.gif

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Toe wiggles are absolutely mandatory....all facets of the game Bahahaha image.gif.36526cc23f5e4562a4c3692ad8c007d5.gif

Hey! The internet says you should be able to... and if the internet says it, it must be true.

IMG_8518.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Filling this away for mental games this upcoming season: "So before your take the club back, how many times do you wiggle your toes?"

Full WITB with pictures

I've been working on my putting a lot this offseason on a mat in my spare bedroom.  I had been using a two thumb type grip (similar to what GolfSpy MPR uses), but switched to something a bit more like a two-finger overlap grip.  While I really like the balance the dual thumbs with fingers down the side provided, I wasn't able to get the forward press I like to use to feel comfortable, which was leading to some face angle issues.

As a sidenote, I've been struggling with an inexplicable tendency to pull my putts to the left the last couple weeks.  Checked that I wasn't putting sidespin on the ball, checked to make sure the ball was getting online... I tried everything.  I tried changing grips, nothing worked - couldn't figure it out.  It dawned on me this morning that it might not be my fault so I checked the floor.  Sure enough, my putting mat was on an uneven part of the floor and apparently reading hardwoods are not my strongpoint.  Moved the mat and magically everything straightened out. 

Driver:   :cobra-small: Speedzone Xtreme 10.5* ... MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 (s)
Fw woods: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback 14.5*/18.5* ... Fujikura Atmos Blue 7 (s)
Hybrids:   :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback One Length 4hy/5hy ... Fujikura ATMOS 7 ONE Length (s)
Irons:    6-Gw :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal ... Aerotech SteelFiber i95 (s)
Wedges:  :ping-small:  Glide 2.0 Stealth SS 52*/56* ... AWT 2.0 (w)
Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red "L" Neck
Ball:  MfleKCg.jpg Pro

13 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Nice topic Mark,

For my grip I use a pistol style grip because I like my top hand feeling full and like to feel like my palm is flat against the side of the grip parallel to the face. Then my bottom hand just sits below that and I haven’t given it much thought really, just what ever is comfortable.

The grip I've started using is very similar to this. It seems to help me take the right wrist out of things without going left hand low - which has less feel for me - or doing the claw grip - which I just kinda hate personally.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

15 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

The grip I've started using is very similar to this. It seems to help me take the right wrist out of things without going left hand low - which has less feel for me - or doing the claw grip - which I just kinda hate personally.

True, I should also mention that I am left handed, I just golf righty, so I do like to feel that stability in my left hand.

I've been working on my putting a lot this offseason on a mat in my spare bedroom.  I had been using a two thumb type grip (similar to what GolfSpy MPR uses), but switched to something a bit more like a two-finger overlap grip.  While I really like the balance the dual thumbs with fingers down the side provided, I wasn't able to get the forward press I like to use to feel comfortable, which was leading to some face angle issues.
As a sidenote, I've been struggling with an inexplicable tendency to pull my putts to the left the last couple weeks.  Checked that I wasn't putting sidespin on the ball, checked to make sure the ball was getting online... I tried everything.  I tried changing grips, nothing worked - couldn't figure it out.  It dawned on me this morning that it might not be my fault so I checked the floor.  Sure enough, my putting mat was on an uneven part of the floor and apparently reading hardwoods are not my strongpoint.  Moved the mat and magically everything straightened out. 

Pretty sure my entire house is on a small slope lol

15 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

... Slightly off topic but I just love this video!  By far the biggest mistake I see with poor putters is looking up early and moving their body to do so which causes inconsistent direction and distance. In this video you are rock solid with your stroke and follow through, keeping your eyes on the ball position after it is gone and then what I consider the most important rule of putting,  you rotate your head and eyes to watch the ball rolling but DO NOT move your trunk or shoulders. Of all the mistakes I see in golf, this one is the easiest to correct and the form in this video is perfect and something anyone can easily copy. 👍

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Slightly off topic but I just love this video!  By far the biggest mistake I see with poor putters is looking up early and moving their body to do so which causes inconsistent direction and distance. In this video you are rock solid with your stroke and follow through, keeping your eyes on the ball position after it is gone and then what I consider the most important rule of putting,  you rotate your head and eyes to watch the ball rolling but DO NOT move your trunk or shoulders. Of all the mistakes I see in golf, this one is the easiest to correct and the form in this video is perfect and something anyone can easily copy. 👍

Thanks for the kind words, @chisag. Lots of reading, but lots more trial and error (with feedback) to get to this point. Feeling pretty good about my stroke right now; hoping I feel the same in two months when the snow finally melts here.

Full WITB with pictures

... I think my putting grip is a little unique in that my thumb and trigger finger are inconsequential and are just resting on the grip. I actively hold the grip with the tips of my last 3 fingertips on each hand against the side of the putter grip. It looks relatively conventional. Again, thumb and trigger fingers are irrelevant as they provide nothing in my stroke as far as grip or putter head movement which all comes from the last 3 fingertips of both hands. Those 3 fingertips are also gripping very loosely so I can feel the putter head swinging like a pendulum and that provides maximum feel. I imagine it is why I have such good distance control. 

... While this isn't something I would recommend for everyone, it can be worth a try to see if it might free up your grip and stroke adding some feel to your putting. The easiest way to see if it might be beneficial for you is to stroke some putts with your trigger fingers completely off the grip. You can rest your thumbs on the grip but try to feel no pressure from them and stoke the putt using your last 3 fingertips of both hands only, gripping as lightly as you can while maintaining control. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

In simplest terms, I’m focused on my palms facing each other and the back of my left hand square to the target. The stroke begins with a small press and I’m telling myself on two things. Keep the putter low through impact and continue my left hand towards the target.

As far as fingers and placement, it’s the same as my golf swing. It’s an overlap grip but I’ll occasionally switch to my left pinky over the right when things aren’t going well.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Might be helpful for those reading through to state if you’re a SBST or Arc putter since we have some good posts going through our thought processes and feels.

I myself have a slight arc when putting.

I posted about this elsewhere here, but my stroke was intended to be SBST, but ended up "outside the line, cut through the ball." Here it is in real time:

And here, slowed down, with my analysis:

Full WITB with pictures

I've used this grip all my life. The only thing I've changed is the actual putter grip itself. As the pistol paddle grip has evolved it has gotten even more comfortable. Putting has been the best part of my game since I started playing. I keep feet straight, (a foot apart), eyes over the ball, a little forward press then hit.

IMG_5355.jpg

Driver: :cobra-small:F9 w/Hzrdous smoke black

3wood: :callaway-small: Epic 13.5* w/ smoke blue

4wood: :callaway-small: Xr 17*  

3Hybrid: :callaway-small: Xr 19*

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex 16 (4 - A)

wedges::vokey-small: SM7 52,54

Putter: :cameron-small: fastback,  SWAG Savage Too

@rogerfloresart on instagram

@GolfSpy MPR the snow can’t melt fast enough (actually have not gotten much just 29” this year in my area)...I guess I should say hopefully the snow stays away and the warmth comes soon! I’ll take 55 right now and jump out there with shorts and quarter zip!

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

6 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Might be helpful for those reading through to state if you’re a SBST or Arc putter since we have some good posts going through our thought processes and feels.

I myself have a slight arc when putting.

I am definitely an arc putter (will post video when I get my new putting mat...other has since been ruined). I have actually been practicing (somewhat odd) but using the edge of an area rug. Has reduced any “big” arcing and has really helped me focus on keep the face straight. Very good visual in trying times lol.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

I am definitely an arc putter (will post video when I get my new putting mat...other has since been ruined). I have actually been practicing (somewhat odd) but using the edge of an area rug. Has reduced any “big” arcing and has really helped me focus on keep the face straight. Very good visual in trying times lol.

I saw a drill somewhere that used a sheet of paper the same way. You’d set up half on and half off the paper and it becomes pretty obvious what your stroke is looking like.

• 2 weeks later...

I would honestly say I am not the best putter out there.  I average about 30 putts per round, some days better some days worse.  I tend to putt for a season with a traditional or claw grip.  I have been using the claw grip now for the past season and a half but now I switched putters to a shorter putter and smaller grip so I am back to the traditional grip at the moment.  I tend to be a slight arc going back but straight through on the forward swing.  With the smaller grip I feel like I have more control with the current putter.  I know, I know don't reply telling me otherwise, you know how mental this stuff is so just let it be.  haha  I have a friend ( better golfer then I am) that had the same problem as me with his putting stroke.  Last two years he switched over to the Kucher style and he swears by it.  He is trying to get me to switch.  Maybe if things go really south (hope not) then I will give it a shot.  I've tried his putter and I have to tell you, it feels very awkward.  He did tell me that it took him about two months to start feeling good about it.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Hey 30 putts in a round <2 a hole is good putting in my eyes 2.0 PPH I’ll take that all day. Putting is a funny mental thing how it can get in your head. My grip has helped me stabilize and has removed a lot of doubt in my head of getting a nice even paced stroke consistently. Smallest adjustments to change mental state is huge for putting.

Check out my reviews:

WITB: