Lacassem

Putting Grip

Our Sponsors

... I think my putting grip is a little unique in that my thumb and trigger finger are inconsequential and are just resting on the grip. I actively hold the grip with the tips of my last 3 fingertips on each hand against the side of the putter grip. It looks relatively conventional. Again, thumb and trigger fingers are irrelevant as they provide nothing in my stroke as far as grip or putter head movement which all comes from the last 3 fingertips of both hands. Those 3 fingertips are also gripping very loosely so I can feel the putter head swinging like a pendulum and that provides maximum feel. I imagine it is why I have such good distance control. 

... While this isn't something I would recommend for everyone, it can be worth a try to see if it might free up your grip and stroke adding some feel to your putting. The easiest way to see if it might be beneficial for you is to stroke some putts with your trigger fingers completely off the grip. You can rest your thumbs on the grip but try to feel no pressure from them and stoke the putt using your last 3 fingertips of both hands only, gripping as lightly as you can while maintaining control. 

• Like 3

In simplest terms, I’m focused on my palms facing each other and the back of my left hand square to the target. The stroke begins with a small press and I’m telling myself on two things. Keep the putter low through impact and continue my left hand towards the target.

As far as fingers and placement, it’s the same as my golf swing. It’s an overlap grip but I’ll occasionally switch to my left pinky over the right when things aren’t going well.

• Like 2

Might be helpful for those reading through to state if you’re a SBST or Arc putter since we have some good posts going through our thought processes and feels.

I myself have a slight arc when putting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I posted about this elsewhere here, but my stroke was intended to be SBST, but ended up "outside the line, cut through the ball." Here it is in real time:

And here, slowed down, with my analysis:

• Like 2

I've used this grip all my life. The only thing I've changed is the actual putter grip itself. As the pistol paddle grip has evolved it has gotten even more comfortable. Putting has been the best part of my game since I started playing. I keep feet straight, (a foot apart), eyes over the ball, a little forward press then hit.

IMG_5355.jpg

• Like 3

@GolfSpy MPR the snow can’t melt fast enough (actually have not gotten much just 29” this year in my area)...I guess I should say hopefully the snow stays away and the warmth comes soon! I’ll take 55 right now and jump out there with shorts and quarter zip!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Might be helpful for those reading through to state if you’re a SBST or Arc putter since we have some good posts going through our thought processes and feels.

I myself have a slight arc when putting.

I am definitely an arc putter (will post video when I get my new putting mat...other has since been ruined). I have actually been practicing (somewhat odd) but using the edge of an area rug. Has reduced any “big” arcing and has really helped me focus on keep the face straight. Very good visual in trying times lol.

• Like 1

I am definitely an arc putter (will post video when I get my new putting mat...other has since been ruined). I have actually been practicing (somewhat odd) but using the edge of an area rug. Has reduced any “big” arcing and has really helped me focus on keep the face straight. Very good visual in trying times lol.

I saw a drill somewhere that used a sheet of paper the same way. You’d set up half on and half off the paper and it becomes pretty obvious what your stroke is looking like.

I would honestly say I am not the best putter out there.  I average about 30 putts per round, some days better some days worse.  I tend to putt for a season with a traditional or claw grip.  I have been using the claw grip now for the past season and a half but now I switched putters to a shorter putter and smaller grip so I am back to the traditional grip at the moment.  I tend to be a slight arc going back but straight through on the forward swing.  With the smaller grip I feel like I have more control with the current putter.  I know, I know don't reply telling me otherwise, you know how mental this stuff is so just let it be.  haha  I have a friend ( better golfer then I am) that had the same problem as me with his putting stroke.  Last two years he switched over to the Kucher style and he swears by it.  He is trying to get me to switch.  Maybe if things go really south (hope not) then I will give it a shot.  I've tried his putter and I have to tell you, it feels very awkward.  He did tell me that it took him about two months to start feeling good about it.  

• Like 2

Hey 30 putts in a round <2 a hole is good putting in my eyes 2.0 PPH I’ll take that all day. Putting is a funny mental thing how it can get in your head. My grip has helped me stabilize and has removed a lot of doubt in my head of getting a nice even paced stroke consistently. Smallest adjustments to change mental state is huge for putting.

• Like 2

Also side not got the true birdie putting mat and perfect putt system. Love it. Highly suggest this mat for anyone in the market 

image.jpg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Also side not got the true birdie putting mat and perfect putt system. Love it. Highly suggest this mat for anyone in the market 

image.jpg

They had one of these devil devices set up in a local Golf Galaxy.  My GOD is it hard to do.  I never once got the ball to sit directly in the top hole, even on putts I hit dead center.  Drove me crazy!  haha

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

They had one of these devil devices set up in a local Golf Galaxy.  My GOD is it hard to do.  I never once got the ball to sit directly in the top hole, even on putts I hit dead center.  Drove me crazy!  haha

The thing I like about this is that just because its not "perfect" does not mean its a miss. The if it funnels anywhere into that slope or the white part and stays in there its a "made putt". The perfect putt is really just fine tuning and trying to really get perfect putts consistently. I have definitely found that I am by no means hitting perfect putts consistently but my "made putts" from 5+ is much higher. Granted putting on the same surface over and over helps, the key for me so far has been my pace, smooth transition and square face from repetition and knowing the speed. Also it has boosted my confidence where I am tending to miss on the pro side and not coming up short. hopefully it translates to the course!

9 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

The thing I like about this is that just because its not "perfect" does not mean its a miss. The if it funnels anywhere into that slope or the white part and stays in there its a "made putt". The perfect putt is really just fine tuning and trying to really get perfect putts consistently. I have definitely found that I am by no means hitting perfect putts consistently but my "made putts" from 5+ is much higher. Granted putting on the same surface over and over helps, the key for me so far has been my pace, smooth transition and square face from repetition and knowing the speed. Also it has boosted my confidence where I am tending to miss on the pro side and not coming up short. hopefully it translates to the course!

I can see where it would improve ones putting!  I hate it because it was so hard!!!  I think I am going to buy one though.  

... When I had my putting measured and weighed and found to be not wanting, I was told the magical 18" past the hole gives a putt the best chance of going in. Especially considering less than ideal putting surfaces where a faster moving putt near the hole will hold its line better. And of course if you play late in the day the volcano effect where knuckleheads step right next to the hole over and over again all day long causing a slight rise right around the hole and a dying putt can slide off the side.

... That said, in trying to make my putts roll 18" past the hole my face angle at impact and club head path became a little inconsistent. So we went back to dying the ball in the hole and my path and face angle returned to excellent. I was told some golfers are just internally wired to die the ball at the hole, which actually works well on Tour caliber courses with fast greens and sharp edges on the hole. He also said a dye in the hole putter will sink more putts in the side door where a faster rolling putt will burn the edge or lip out.

... So in the end it is a trade off of sorts with a slight advantage to 18" past on muni's and die in the hole on perfectly groomed greens. But trying to go against your natural indicts is always a bad idea when it comes to putting. So if you are trying to roll the ball into the top hole and get to to stop with little success but are rolling it "in the hole" and not stopping, you should be content and of course not buy that putting aid. 😉  

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone is interested. Putting together an excel sheet on my putting with the perfect putt and true birdie mat. Will have day to day info on made/perfect putts on 1-8’ and see if it trends into more perfect putts day to day. Tracking it now if y’all want to see it let me know I can post it (hopefully it Gets better?)

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.72103831d1cef83f3297af548daaa9f8.pngFor anyone interested no "major improvement" stat wise. One thing I am finding is that I am missing more on the pro side when I do miss and although from distance I am not getting many perfect putts I do see that I am hitting the hole MORE often and it bouncing out which is a good sign. 

Also you can see 3/4' is a struggle to hit perfect putts but I am not missing which is nice (granted I am putting the same roll every time but still). Lastly I will say the putting mat does work, the 8' spot has guidelines and a backstroke tempo gauge which realllllly works. Getting great roll and accuracy from it. Going to continue my log and see what happens.

• Like 1