TESTERS WANTED! ×

Nippon Modus players, question for you guys

bens197

For those of you who currently play the Modus, what were you playing before you switched and what compelled you to make the change?

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I’ve played kbs, px and dg s3/400 before. Nippon does a great job with their shafts. The modus have a great feel, but like with any shaft there may be an iron head they don’t work as well with. They were great in my p790 and as much as I wanted the kbs $ taper to work in them after loving them in my titleist Nippon worked better. I wanted them to work in the pxg 0311 by the pxg provided better results than the modus and kbs

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

KBS Tour for me. Reason? Fitter said I was launching too low with too much spin. Modus / i500 head helped with both. 

What's the goal here? What are you considering?

I’m in TourV right now. I am satisfied with the feel and trajectory but I would love something with a stiffer tip and a little more feel in the hands.

I’m a high ball hitter but it hasn’t necessarily caused me to lose much distance. 7 iron carry on a comfortable swing is between 165-175.

New irons are happening this spring / summer and I want to move away from what I had played before the Tour V and that was boardy / tipped DG’s.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

They're such a smooth shaft. Feel is fanatic, even in X flex. Nippon does a lot great job of producing a number of profiles and weights so there's a chance there is something in their lineup that will fit just about anyone. 

I became so accustomed to playing DG S300/400’s for years. The transition to KBS was easy but as I look forward to my next set of irons I am really looking forward to trying these.

The feedback across forums is remarkably consistent in how players enjoy playing Modus in their irons.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

I’ve played numerous shafts in the past: DG S300, S400, X100. PX PXI 6.5, LZ 6.5, PX 6.0. KBS Tour, KBS Tour V.

Each time I’ve played a shaft, it was what was determined best in a fitting. Same with the Modus 120X I play now in my Z785 irons. Remember, each iron head has some different attributes than the next one, and maybe it spins the ball more or less, or launches the ball higher or lower, so the same shaft in two different irons may not be the best fit.

I just go with what works best with each head in the fitting. Heck, in this last iron fitting, what was best in the Honma 747 Tour V was not Modus, and it wasn’t the best in the Vega iron either........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I’ve played kbs, px and dg s3/400 before. Nippon does a great job with their shafts. The modus have a great feel, but like with any shaft there may be an iron head they don’t work as well with. They were great in my p790 and as much as I wanted the kbs $ taper to work in them after loving them in my titleist Nippon worked better. I wanted them to work in the pxg 0311 by the pxg provided better results than the modus and kbs

That’s where the fun begins.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

18 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I’ve played numerous shafts in the past: DG S300, S400, X100. PX PXI 6.5, LZ 6.5, PX 6.0. KBS Tour, KBS Tour V.

Each time I’ve played a shaft, it was what was determined best in a fitting. Same with the Modus 120X I play now in my Z785 irons. Remember, each iron head has some different attributes than the next one, and maybe it spins the ball more or less, or launches the ball higher or lower, so the same shaft in two different irons may not be the best fit.

I just go with what works best with each head in the fitting. Heck, in this last iron fitting, what was best in the Honma 747 Tour V was not Modus, and it wasn’t the best in the Vega iron either........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I never gave much thought to my iron shafts, truth be told. It was DG’s and that was it. I’ll be lying if I said I wasn’t overwhelmed with the options available but I really appreciate you guys giving some good insight. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

22 minutes ago, bens197 said:

That’s where the fun begins.

Yeah and why fittings are important. I was pretty set on p790 with kbs $ taper while warming up and then the tm rep came over and swapped shafts and out the modus in and it instants changed flight and feel.  When I went to my pxg fitting the course pro watched me hit while I warmed up and based on ball flight told the pxg rep whom was finishing getting everything setup what he saw. We started with modus and spin with 0311t was over 7000, swapped in the kbs and brought it down a hundred rpm or. Pxg rep then put in the px 6.0 and dropped it another 300ish rpm and distance and dispersion had balls falling right on top of each other. Everything was within 1 yard of each other. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I wasn't fit for the shafts I played prior to my Modus3's so it's kind of a moot point to even mention them. That said, every shaft I've swung, for me, feel like rebar. DG shafts for me just have 0 feel, and I remember feeling like my shoulder blades were straining during my fit.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

4 hours ago, yungkory said:

I wasn't fit for the shafts I played prior to my Modus3's so it's kind of a moot point to even mention them. That said, every shaft I've swung, for me, feel like rebar. DG shafts for me just have 0 feel, and I remember feeling like my shoulder blades were straining during my fit.

I get it...and I can relate. For years it was play boardy shafts that would help me flight the ball. I just got used to it. With all the improvements we see today it’s worth taking the time to really find something that won’t make me work so hard. 

Did you swing the 120’s before deciding on the 105’s?

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Was using s300 before and they just felt so much smoother and my timing was way better. I had gone through a variety of different shafts in fittings and something about them just clicked. Worst was the xp95 for myself, but throughout their lineup they have a stellar product and across nearly all different heads it was consistently the shaft that fit me the best. 

Should also mention using most fitting devices (Callaway swing thing and the Mizuno one) it recommended the 120s, however ended up with 105s because I personally felt I didn't have to quite work as hard.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

I get it...and I can relate. For years it was play boardy shafts that would help me flight the ball. I just got used to it. With all the improvements we see today it’s worth taking the time to really find something that won’t make me work so hard. 

...  I love reading about others experience with shafts/clubs, especially if you know they have a similar swing speed, tempo and distance. I think it is a great place to start if you are looking for a new shaft or club, but you always need to demo yourself and preferably with that shaft in your club or your shaft in that club. I have never bought something without trying it first until I picked up set of Modus 105's. From everything I read, they should have been perfect for my game. I loved Nippon 950GH and Modus 120 shafts and there were no Modus 105's for me to demo here in Chicago unless I went to a Club Champion, Tour Spec, etc. So I bought a set on Ebay and installed them in my P790's and was surprised to find they were a terrible fit for me. 

... I hit them higher and shorter than my Modus 120's, and same trajectory but shorter than my 950GHs. They also felt very stout compared to those other 2 shafts which was a real head scratcher. My first round I was coming up a good 5-10 yds short and my second round I found myself over swinging to compensate, which led to poor directional control. And the killer is, I just can't explain it because on paper they should have been right between the 9650GH and Modus 120's and a great fit in my P790's. In 35 years I had never bought a shaft or club without hitting it first and making sure it was good for my swing, so going against my own common sense cost me. 

... I do not post this as a negative comment about the Modus 105's which are excellent shafts, and for all I know their performance may be perfect for me in a different head. At some point this summer I will install them in a different head to see if they work better than the P790's. So I post this as a cautionary tale about buying something without demoing it first. I should certainly know better because you really never know what is going to work for you until you actually hit it. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

For those of you who currently play the Modus, what were you playing before you switched and what compelled you to make the change?

I was playing Project X iron and wedge shafts before I switched. I changed to the Modus 3 105s at the time in 2016 and have no plans to try any other iron shafts. I have the 130 S hard stepped in my irons now and 130 X soft stepped in my wedges. Ball flight is consistent off every club and they feel amazing. I’m #TeamModus allllllllll day!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

16 minutes ago, chisag said:

...  I love reading about others experience with shafts/clubs, especially if you know they have a similar swing speed, tempo and distance. I think it is a great place to start if you are looking for a new shaft or club, but you always need to demo yourself and preferably with that shaft in your club or your shaft in that club. I have never bought something without trying it first until I picked up set of Modus 105's. From everything I read, they should have been perfect for my game. I loved Nippon 950GH and Modus 120 shafts and there were no Modus 105's for me to demo here in Chicago unless I went to a Club Champion, Tour Spec, etc. So I bought a set on Ebay and installed them in my P790's and was surprised to find they were a terrible fit for me. 

... I hit them higher and shorter than my Modus 120's, and same trajectory but shorter than my 950GHs. They also felt very stout compared to those other 2 shafts which was a real head scratcher. My first round I was coming up a good 5-10 yds short and my second round I found myself over swinging to compensate, which led to poor directional control. And the killer is, I just can't explain it because on paper they should have been right between the 9650GH and Modus 120's and a great fit in my P790's. In 35 years I had never bought a shaft or club without hitting it first and making sure it was good for my swing, so going against my own common sense cost me. 

... I do not post this as a negative comment about the Modus 105's which are excellent shafts, and for all I know their performance may be perfect for me in a different head. At some point this summer I will install them in a different head to see if they work better than the P790's. So I post this as a cautionary tale about buying something without demoing it first. I should certainly know better because you really never know what is going to work for you until you actually hit it. 

Sage advice as always 😊

Your experience with the 105 is baffling but also, could be as @RickyBobby_PR eluded to with some shafts just not jiving with certain heads.  Or...a gremlin.

Trial and error is always going to win and with the overwhelmingly positive reviews of these shafts, I’m hopeful to find one that fits me.  I’m going to start with the 120 in a 7 iron build and see how it shapes up against my existing sets.  I’ve been able to do my own club work since my grandfather passed on his tools to me.  If the feel and the ball flight work then it’ll be time to hone it with a monitor so I can get dialed in.. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

26 minutes ago, mr.hicksta said:

I was playing Project X iron and wedge shafts before I switched. I changed to the Modus 3 105s at the time in 2016 and have no plans to try any other iron shafts. I have the 130 S hard stepped in my irons now and 130 X soft stepped in my wedges. Ball flight is consistent off every club and they feel amazing. I’m #TeamModus allllllllll day!

I borrowed a friends set of 900 Tours with PX 6.0 two years ago and (to me) I thought they felt wonderful. PX is a notoriously firm feeling shaft so I’m interested in really seeing Modus for myself. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

I just ordered a 7i .355 taper of the 120 to demo. The outdoor range is open year round so when I get it together I’ll offer some feedback.

Plenty of thank you’s to those who spoke up and gave their two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Not playing specifically the Modus shafts, but I got fitted into the 950gh. So smooth, I've become a big fan of Nippon shafts. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I had PX 5.5 before to lower down flight. After playing them for about 4 years, I guess my swing also evolved and I no longer needed low flight. So was fitted for the Modus 105, which gave me more speed and also was the only shaft that gave me consistent quarter-sized markings on the impact tape 

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

12 hours ago, bens197 said:

Nah did the Mizuno optimizer and the 120 wasn't recommended to me

9 hours ago, Kanoito said:

I had PX 5.5 before to lower down flight. After playing them for about 4 years, I guess my swing also evolved and I no longer needed low flight. So was fitted for the Modus 105, which gave me more speed and also was the only shaft that gave me consistent quarter-sized markings on the impact tape 

Forgot to mention, the 105 was also the first lightweight shaft I've ever played. Before PX, I used to play KBS Tour and TTDG.

I'm now considering reshafting my wedges with Nippon as well, to have them match the irons.

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

13 hours ago, yungkory said:

Nah did the Mizuno optimizer and the 120 wasn't recommended to me

@yungkory do you make full swings with your 50* GW? How does the wedge shaft compare to the standard iron Modus (PW for instance)?

My fitter had recommended using the same shaft as my PW (for full swings) and wedge shafts for SW/LW.

I was playing DG S300. Although I had no formal fitting, I hit a bunch of shaft/head combinations in preparation for the Bridgestone Tour B JGR test and the Modus felt the smoothest of the shafts available for the test by quite a bit. Other options were Recoil, DG XP95, and a KBS, if I recall correctly. 

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I was fitting for wedges last fall and my fitter recommended The Modus 3 Wedge 125.  It feels so much better to me than the S200 that as in my prior wedges.

I play C-Taper Lite Stiff in my irons, but based on the feel of the Modus wedge shaft I'll be demoing Modus shafts in any future iron purchase I make.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

5 hours ago, Kanoito said:

@yungkory do you make full swings with your 50* GW? How does the wedge shaft compare to the standard iron Modus (PW for instance)?

My fitter had recommended using the same shaft as my PW (for full swings) and wedge shafts for SW/LW.

I do take full swings. A lot of fitters recommend the setup you have, and I'll probably explore it when I go to my fitting in October. One thing for sure is the Modus 115 are a MUCH better fit for me than the DG S200 and 300 ever were. Much more consistent contact, which leads to better distance control. I've had a few near hole outs from my gap wedge distance (100-110y) recently.

24 minutes ago, yungkory said:

One thing for sure is the Modus 115 are a MUCH better fit for me than the DG S200 and 300 ever were. Much more consistent contact, which leads to better distance control.

... Modus 115's!!!  Special shafts made just for you that aren't available to the rest of us. We are all jealous! 

15 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Modus 115's!!!  Special shafts made just for you that aren't available to the rest of us. We are all jealous! 😜

It's their wedge shaft, keep up Uncle!

https://www.golfworks.com/nippon-ns-pro-modus-3-wedge-shafts/p/np0017/

... Wedger shaft! Doah! More like Grampa. 🤪

17 hours ago, yungkory said:

I do take full swings. A lot of fitters recommend the setup you have, and I'll probably explore it when I go to my fitting in October. One thing for sure is the Modus 115 are a MUCH better fit for me than the DG S200 and 300 ever were. Much more consistent contact, which leads to better distance control. I've had a few near hole outs from my gap wedge distance (100-110y) recently.

Sweet. Thanks for the feedback. I'll reshaft them before the season begins. 

AND... I bought them lol... now have to wait for them to arrive...