Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Nippon Modus players, question for you guys

bens197

I have been mostly a x100 player for the majority of my adult life. My last two sets of irons I have been fit into the Modus 120X. Feel was night and day between the two and the main reason for the switch. Launch came up so slightly with the Modus, while cutting down spin by about 300-500 rpm depending on the iron, this lead to about 3-5 yards longer through the irons. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

For wedges, I put the standard 950GH wedge length shaft in my 50 degree and then put a 9 iron 950GH in by 56 degree wedge to softstep it. I think I read somewhere that Bob Vokey recommended using your iron shafts in your wedges, but softstepping the wedges you don't normally take full swings with.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I play the 105 stiff, performance was close with the Ping AWT 2.0 when getting fit for my g410 irons. I previously gamed the 1050 GH in Regular (it was the 1030GH Cobra made-for version). So I'm guessing my comfort level with the loading profile led me to hit them the best due to familiarity. I tried the 120X in a friend's club for fun one day which led to swinging harder and harder trying to feel it load. Results were not positive. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Currently I am playing the Modus 120X shafts with Mizuno JPX900 forged.  Before these, I was in the KBS Tour C-taper stiff shafts.  I switched because the Modus was recommended to me when I got fit.  For me, the Modus is a much smoother shaft.  I don't feel the load in it which I don't want to feel.  

Now, oddly enough, when I was fit for the PING G410 testing, I was fit into the Dynamic Gold 120 X shaft while the Modus was one of the worst ones for me.  It really is crazy to see how one shaft reacts differently with one head on it as opposed to another.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

On 2/22/2020 at 7:02 PM, bens197 said:

For those of you who currently play the Modus, what were you playing before you switched and what compelled you to make the change?

I played the Aldila NV Pro 105 in my irons and wedges (except for my old sand wedge which has an Aldila Lobster 120). 

As it's no longer offered on newer models, I went to the Nippon Modus 3 105.  

I don't notice much if any difference at all.  It's hard to compare using different heads.

In fairness, though,  I don't notice the difference in shafts as much as some seem to do.

I'm not a launch monitor guy.

Edited by RetiredBoomer

Was playing DG s300's and Project X 6.0's.  Nippons are smooth like butter, effortless.  They just feel right for me compared to any others.  Almost feels like I'm playing a graphite shaft but with all the feel benefit of steel.  Love them and can't see playing anything else.

I do like the Modus in my Bridgestone wedges, I just wish they were heavier. We didn't get the option to try anything else during testing last year though. 😞 

The only shaft that I'm curious about as much as the Modus 120 is the KBS C-Taper. A buddy of mine has them in a set of Cobra Amp Cell Pro irons and when I gave them a go they were absolute money for me. Could have just been the day or the fact they were +1/2" (static fitting charts recommend I play at least +1/4"), but I've never forgotten about the few shots I hit with that shaft and have wanted to play it ever since.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• 2 weeks later...

Today was the first day on the course where I could put the 120 in play.

A little about me...I often wait a little before posting reviews as honeymoon period is usually a distraction from objective feedback.

Here’s what I will say. Those who said the feel is smooth, you were telling the truth. There isn’t a shaft I’ve played that feels like this.

Today was windy and some headwinds had the propensity to cause a balloon ball. I did not experience any ballooning but I’m going to be stuck between a stiff and an X. They do feel and play slightly softer and I’m tempted to play a tipped stiff in its stead.

More to come. Thanks for giving me a good reason to try this shaft, it makes a wonderful first impression.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

A little about me...I often wait a little before posting reviews as honeymoon period is usually a distraction from objective feedback.

Here’s what I will say. Those who said the feel is smooth, you were telling the truth. There isn’t a shaft I’ve played that feels like this.

Today was windy and some headwinds had the propensity to cause a balloon ball. I did not experience any ballooning but I’m going to be stuck between a stiff and an X. They do feel and play slightly softer and I’m tempted to play a tipped stiff in its stead.

More to come. Thanks for giving me a good reason to try this shaft, it makes a wonderful first impression.

My favorite steel shafts EVER! Enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

... Benz197 I don't play steel shafts often, but when I do I prefer Modus 120's. I am a graphite iron kinda guy and as I stated earlier I did not get along with Modus 105's. But I really like the Modus 120's in my Z Forged irons. They are an excellent combo and since I only play them once a month or so, no need to buy new graphite irons shafts. Congrats on finding some shafts that work for you. It isn't always easy but it looks like at least so far, you have done just that! 👍

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

I know they feel so much smoother, but they do the job. I think you are better off with a tipped stiff vs going X

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

On 2/22/2020 at 7:07 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’ve played kbs, px and dg s3/400 before. Nippon does a great job with their shafts. The modus have a great feel, but like with any shaft there may be an iron head they don’t work as well with. They were great in my p790 and as much as I wanted the kbs $ taper to work in them after loving them in my titleist Nippon worked better. I wanted them to work in the pxg 0311 by the pxg provided better results than the modus and kbs

I'm contemplating purchasing Mizuno MP 18 SC's or MMC's. The SC's come with KBS 120S and the MMC's come with Nippon Modus. I love the Nippon shaft in the MMC's , but I don't hate the KBS in the SC's. I'm seriously at odds right now...lol.

Edited by silver & black
spelling

5 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I'm contemplating purchasing Mizuno MP 18 SC's or MMC's. The SC's come with KBS 120S and the MMC's come with Nippon Modus. I love the Nippon shaft in the MMC's , but I don't hate the KBS in the SC's. I'm seriously at odds right now...lol.

A little shaft dilemma. I preferred the sc head over the mmc. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

A little shaft dilemma. I preferred the sc head over the mmc. 

I like the MMC's..... but I think I like the feel/sound of the SC's more. There is only one set of the SC's left where I deal. I'm think I might just go ahead and buy them.... and then find the best shaft after. Probably not the best way to go about things, but at $400.00 off, it's hard not to just bite the bullet and say to hell with it...lol.

Edited by silver & black
spelling

8 hours ago, silver & black said:

I like the MMC's..... but I think I like the feel/sound of the SC's more. There is only one set of the SC's left where I deal. I'm think I might just go ahead and buy them.... and then find the best shaft after. Probably not the best way to go about things, but at $400.00 off, it's hard not to just bite the bullet and say to hell with it...lol.

Have you looked at 2ndswing to see if they have that combo.

the buy and reshaft was going to be a suggestion last night but I was multitasking and not paying attention before I hit send 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Have you looked at 2ndswing to see if they have that combo.

the buy and reshaft was going to be a suggestion last night but I was multitasking and not paying attention before I hit send 

I did check 2nd swing,  but I didn't see that combo. I don't dislike the KBS shaft,  but the Nippon felt a lot smoother and seemed to fit my moderately smooth transition better. 

1 hour ago, silver & black said:

I did check 2nd swing,  but I didn't see that combo. I don't dislike the KBS shaft,  but the Nippon felt a lot smoother and seemed to fit my moderately smooth transition better. 

That sux. For the most part I agree Nippon feels smoother but imo it’s dependent on the kbs shaft being compared to. I much prefer the $ taper over some of the others 

8 minutes ago, silver & black said:

This is the tour 120.

Trying to think of that shaft. I prefer tour shafts over c taper or c taper lite.

If I had my choice between the tour and Nippon I’m going Nippon everytime even if I have to go the route you are thinking with a reshaft. I’m actually in that boat with a set of irons I have

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Trying to think of that shaft. I prefer tour shafts over c taper or c taper lite.

If I had my choice between the tour and Nippon I’m going Nippon everytime even if I have to go the route you are thinking with a reshaft. I’m actually in that boat with a set of irons I have

Yes, I'm playing KBS Tour 90 in my Mp64's. I might just go the reshaft route, buy I'm not in a hurry to buy, so I'll look around a bit more. 

33 minutes ago, silver & black said:

Yes, I'm playing KBS Tour 90 in my Mp64's. I might just go the reshaft route, buy I'm not in a hurry to buy, so I'll look around a bit more. 

Cool

16 hours ago, silver & black said:

... I have always found that playing something I had reservations about is always a bad idea. If you like both the SC and MMC close to equal with slight preference for the SC but they have a shaft you don't like anywhere near as much as the MMC's, sooner or later you will become disappointed in your shaft choice. Obviously the opposite is true as well, if you like both shafts with a slight preference for one but you like one head obviously more than the other, sooner or later you will become disappointed in your iron head choice. If you have the time and money, getting the best of both is always the wisest choice, but we don't always have that option and sometimes have to make a compromise. 

... Of course this has changed drastically over the last 15 years. With steel shafts around $10 it was easy enough to pick the heads you wanted and re-shaft them. Considering Modus 120's cost $37 each and KBS $32 - $59 it is now a much more expensive proposition, especially if you don't do your own work and have to pay for the re-shafting as well as the shafts. 

Used to play Project X 6.0 shafts in my irons, switched to the Modus3 Tour 120s after I was looking for a little higher ball flight.  For me, feel is similar but I get a much higher ball flight than the PX.  Distance is almost exactly the same.

Driver: Taylormade '16 M2, Aldila NV 2KXV X

3W:  Taylormade '16 M2, Speeder 661 X

3:  Callaway X-forged UT 21*

4-P:  Callaway X-Forged, Modus 3 120 - S

Wedges:  50* - Callaway Apex Pro 19, 54* - Taylormade Milled Grind 2 black, 58* - Taylormade Milled Grind 2 black

Putter:  currently Odyssey Works V-Line Versa CB - 36"

Ball - Bridgestone Tour B X

2 hours ago, KatoGolfer said:

Used to play Project X 6.0 shafts in my irons, switched to the Modus3 Tour 120s after I was looking for a little higher ball flight.  For me, feel is similar but I get a much higher ball flight than the PX.  Distance is almost exactly the same.

... You must be a hitter or have a fast and/or aggressive transition. Project X feels very harsh and stout to me a smooth swinger, while the Modus feel very smooth and dampened. 

Correct.  Others I play with say the same thing about the PX6.0.  I've never had that feeling, I have hit the stiffer 6.5 and even 7.0 and they do feel a lot boardier than the 6.0.  I'm very happy with the results of the Nippon shafts with my irons.  Getting old, not as easy to get the ball in the air 🙂

Driver: Taylormade '16 M2, Aldila NV 2KXV X

3W:  Taylormade '16 M2, Speeder 661 X

3:  Callaway X-forged UT 21*

4-P:  Callaway X-Forged, Modus 3 120 - S

Wedges:  50* - Callaway Apex Pro 19, 54* - Taylormade Milled Grind 2 black, 58* - Taylormade Milled Grind 2 black

Putter:  currently Odyssey Works V-Line Versa CB - 36"

Ball - Bridgestone Tour B X

1 minute ago, KatoGolfer said:

Correct.  Others I play with say the same thing about the PX6.0.  I've never had that feeling, I have hit the stiffer 6.5 and even 7.0 and they do feel a lot boardier than the 6.0.  I'm very happy with the results of the Nippon shafts with my irons.  Getting old, not as easy to get the ball in the air 🙂

The px shafts will let you know thru results if you are loading them or not. Good days with them I like them as a shaft, bad days they make you work

After seeing such rave reviews and want to try out the Modus 120s I picked up a 4i with Modus shaft on ebay for cheap. How much of a difference soft stepping this down to an 7 iron  and trimming length affect the performance of the shaft itself?

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

After seeing such rave reviews and want to try out the Modus 120s I picked up a 4i with Modus shaft on ebay for cheap. How much of a difference soft stepping this down to an 7 iron  and trimming length affect the performance of the shaft itself?
Well for as much fun as trying to figure this out would be. The buyer couldn't sell it to me and is refunding me but I found a 16 Apex pro 7i with modus 120 shaft for $15 cheaper. Worked out better for me just hope I have better luck with this seller.@bens197 I'll be testing this shaft in the TS-1 and TE Your not a good influence on my wallet.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

38 minutes ago, pozzit said:

Well for as much fun as trying to figure this out would be. The buyer couldn't sell it to me and is refunding me but I found a 16 Apex pro 7i with modus 120 shaft for $15 cheaper. Worked out better for me just hope I have better luck with this seller.@bens197 I'll be testing this shaft in the TS-1 and TE emoji6.png Your not a good influence on my wallet.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think despite my influence, you lucked out 😊

I am excited to hear your thoughts. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/