TESTERS WANTED! ×

Nippon Modus players, question for you guys

bens197

25 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

im lost on the lighter shaft / more speed opinion......i found that its just the opposite. With a heavier shaft, you get more speed given the right timing of your swing

Sometimes it seems counter-intuitive, but I believe the thought is it's easier to move the lighter object faster. For example, back in my younger days when I played a bunch of softball, I used the lightest bat on my team by a couple ounces and was always either 1st or 2nd in HR total. Purely anecdotal and I'm not sure if the weight made a difference, but it felt more comfortable to me and also happens to fit the theory. Is it directly analogous to golf? I have no idea, but in general I prefer the ball flight that seems to come with heavier shafts.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

8 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Sometimes it seems counter-intuitive, but I believe the thought is it's easier to move the lighter object faster. For example, back in my younger days when I played a bunch of softball, I used the lightest bat on my team by a couple ounces and was always either 1st or 2nd in HR total. Purely anecdotal and I'm not sure if the weight made a difference, but it felt more comfortable to me and also happens to fit the theory. Is it directly analogous to golf? I have no idea, but in general I prefer the ball flight that seems to come with heavier shafts.

... There is a reason most shafts are in the 65 - 75 gm range and swing weight is D2. If lighter is always faster we would have standard drivers at C7 with 45gm shafts. Conversely if heavier is always faster we would all have E0 swing weights and play 100gm shafts. Every individual has different swing characteristics from being a smooth swinger with a long flowing swing to a hard hitter with a short hard hitting motion. So yes, some may produce more speed with a 75gm shaft and a D5 swing weight while others may swing faster with a 55gm shaft and a D0 swing weight. Again, somewhere in between those two is going to work for the majority of golfers. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

13 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

That’s pretty much the thought process I’ve seen/heard. If we look at driver heads they have gotten lighter over the years as have the shafts in woods. 

The downside is that lighter clubs can have an effect on the swing but heavier can as well. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Used to play PX 6.5, liked the flight but developed some wirst & elbow issues. Changed to Tour-V 125, similar flight without the soreness. After a few years I wanted to try something similar but with a little less spin, so moved to the Modus 130X. Couldn‘t be happier..

On 2/22/2020 at 6:02 PM, bens197 said:

For those of you who currently play the Modus, what were you playing before you switched and what compelled you to make the change?

I was gaming DG X100 before I switched to the 120TX. The 120TX was 5g lighter and has a much stiffer tip section while the softer handle produced much better feel launch and results. Best feeling shaft out there in ones mans opionion. 

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

I was playing TT DG S300.  The Modus3 120 stiff shaft is such a smooth shaft but very stable in the tip.  I can feel the clubhead better during my swing and don't feel as if I have to add a bit of muscle to load the shaft.  I am getting older so a smoother shaft is a huge plus.  Also, the resulting trajectory and ball spin is similar to the DG S300 so that is a huge plus.  I may try the Modus3 105 stiff shaft for a bit lighter shaft and see how that goes.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

17 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

I was playing TT DG S300.  The Modus3 120 stiff shaft is such a smooth shaft but very stable in the tip.  I can feel the clubhead better during my swing and don't feel as if I have to add a bit of muscle to load the shaft.  I am getting older so a smoother shaft is a huge plus.  Also, the resulting trajectory and ball spin is similar to the DG S300 so that is a huge plus.  I may try the Modus3 105 stiff shaft for a bit lighter shaft and see how that goes.

I went from S300, KBS Tour, PX 5.5 and now Modus 105 and Nippon is currently my favorite. Sometimes I miss the KBS's kick, but Nippon is smoother and definitely a better trajectory.

If I rated them by feel, I would go Nippon, KBS, PX 5.5 and S300.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

On 2/22/2020 at 6:02 PM, bens197 said:

For those of you who currently play the Modus, what were you playing before you switched and what compelled you to make the change?

Currently gaming modus 120TX heard along with the gost they already released the tour only modus LSL (low spin low launch) may be coming for retail... they were first spotted in 2016 and still used on tour... but this is another reason I love nippon. They go through such quality control measures to make sure the masses get the best product... their standard deviation in shafts is .03%. They are as round as anything out there and have the best manufacturing tolerances. DG can’t touch this

Love the info. Currently gaming PX 6.0. Looking at pro 120. This is helping. Appreciate the honest feedback. Looking for slightly higher launch. 

:titelist-small: TSR2 10.0 Fujikura Ventus TR Black 5x

:titelist-small: TSR2+ 14.5 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6s

:titelist-small: TSR2 18 degree Graphite Design Tour AD UB 6s

:titelist-small: T200 Utility Build 4iron Graphite Design Tour AD DI

:titelist-small: T100s 5-P Dynamic Gold TI X100 

:vokey-small: SM 9 50, 54, 58

:cameron-small: Super Select Golo 6

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Some follow up to my experience with the 120 shaft thus far.

This is by far, the best feeling shaft I have ever played in 32 years of playing golf. The responsiveness and smoothness is unmatched.

Now with that said, if it doesn’t perform then the aforementioned is useless. This shaft’s, let us call it “factory stiff” is softer than other manufacturers version of a “factory stiff” flex. A DGS300, PX 6.0 and KBS Tour V Stiff are all firmer in flex than the Modus.

I am playing a stiff, untipped shaft which is slightly softer than I am used to. No issues so far with dispersion. I am finding that ball flight on my stock swings are similar to what I’ve swung in years past. The sample size is smaller as we are all limited in how much we can play but I have no reason to believe this will change.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 minute ago, JScott said:

Love the info. Currently gaming PX 6.0. Looking at pro 120. This is helping. Appreciate the honest feedback. Looking for slightly higher launch. 

PX 6.0 weighs 120g +/- tolerance vs. Nippon 120s at 113.9g. Nippon is pretty spot on with their weight from shaft to shaft which is one thing I really like about the company. I feel that in general the low/mid/high launch is marketing and what while for the average golfer it may generally apply I look for the shaft to influence delivery to get the ball flight that you want. I game the modus 120TX and it actually launches lower that the DG TI X100 even though it is marketed as a mid launch shaft and the DG is marketed as low. You may find the same thing. Since your HDCP is 3.9 I would guess you are a decent ball striker and your delivery is fairly constant. Before you look to a shaft I would maybe try a change in ball say ProV1 and go to the ProV1x and  inspect the lofts of your clubs and what your launch angles are. if your playing say p790 the 7i is somewhere around 30.5 deg its going to launch lower with less spin than the same strike with say the p760 at 33 deg. Simple fix might be to adjust lofts a little and re gap a bit or if your in the market for new clubs try multiple shafts regardless of what the marketing description is. Lots of other factors such as how and when you release,  as I mentioned the ball you play has a very big impact, how you load the shaft, and others... hopefully the small tweaks help and happy to answer any other questions 

Great stuff!  Ball striking is the most solid part of my game. I lose 95% of my strokes 75 yards and in. Like your point about varying results. I was looking at launch/spin characteristics of the PX 6.0 and noticed the Nippon 120 technically launch higher with slightly more spin.  That may or may actually be the case for me.  I’m not hitting stingers and hold greens just fine but would like a higher ball flight. I am currently playing ProV1X. i am also not opposed to a ‘softer’ shaft. I’m 45 and my swing is getting slower, not faster. Carry distance on 7i is 165. I am also fascinated w strong loft ‘players’ irons and think a higher launching shaft might help here too. Growing up my PW was 48 degrees, not 44 or less. 

thanks again!

13 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Some follow up to my experience with the 120 shaft thus far.

This is by far, the best feeling shaft I have ever played in 32 years of playing golf. The responsiveness and smoothness is unmatched.

Now with that said, if it doesn’t perform then the aforementioned is useless. This shaft’s, let us call it “factory stiff” is softer than other manufacturers version of a “factory stiff” flex. A DGS300, PX 6.0 and KBS Tour V Stiff are both firmer in flex than the Modus.

I am playing a stiff, untipped shaft which is slightly softer than I am used to. No issues so far with dispersion. I am finding that ball flight on my stock swings are similar to what I’ve swung in years past. The sample size is smaller as we are all limited in how much we can play but I have no reason to believe this will change.

Hey @bens197 I would agree that there is not rating of what an A/R/S/S+/X/TX really is since it is different from shaft to shaft manufacturer. Depending on who that manufacturer is heck there can be flex differences from 8 different of the same 7i shafts.

I would however disagree with the softer comment. The reason I feel you might say its softer per say is because the 120 profile is very soft in the handle by comparison to pretty much any other shaft on the market. However the 120 profile has one of the strongest increases in tip strength across any shaft out there as well which creates the stability. If you look The Modus 120 E/I profile is in red and the project x is in blue. The project x increases in butt stiffness before a kind of linear decrease in stiffness down the shaft hence in feel terms it will feel more stout because your hands are attached to the Butt end of the club and that is where the transfer of energy occurs to load a shaft. 

The Modus 120 when it was a tour only prototype was dubbed "DP" for dual profile which is a design meant to cover both early release and late release swing types. A very stiff tip profile and very flexy butt profile. This profile provided a mid to high trajectory for early release swings and lower trajectory for late release swings. They also made the shaft highly workable as Nippon was aiming to develop a shaft that worked well with tour players.It is unique for sure.

Of course if you are in between flex you can always soft/hard step a tapper tipped shaft, but the feeling of soft or firm I feel is subjective vs. what true stiffness of a golf shaft is because everyone loads a shaft differently.

That being said if you want to try something that lives up to the hype of being stout test a DG X7 or C-Taper 130, but even on Tour Tony Finau who I would consider an aggresive swinger games the 120X not even TX because of the stable tip section.

But hey this is what makes Nippon such a great company  

InkedModus3-120-charts.gif

InkedTT_ProjectX_EiGjTb_LI.jpg

Hey [mention=72203]bens197[/mention] I would agree that there is not rating of what an A/R/S/S+/X/TX really is since it is different from shaft to shaft manufacturer. Depending on who that manufacturer is heck there can be flex differences from 8 different of the same 7i shafts.
I would however disagree with the softer comment. The reason I feel you might say its softer per say is because the 120 profile is very soft in the handle by comparison to pretty much any other shaft on the market. However the 120 profile has one of the strongest increases in tip strength across any shaft out there as well which creates the stability. If you look The Modus 120 E/I profile is in red and the project x is in blue. The project x increases in butt stiffness before a kind of linear decrease in stiffness down the shaft hence in feel terms it will feel more stout because your hands are attached to the Butt end of the club and that is where the transfer of energy occurs to load a shaft. 
The Modus 120 when it was a tour only prototype was dubbed "DP" for dual profile which is a design meant to cover both early release and late release swing types. A very stiff tip profile and very flexy butt profile. This profile provided a mid to high trajectory for early release swings and lower trajectory for late release swings. They also made the shaft highly workable as Nippon was aiming to develop a shaft that worked well with tour players.It is unique for sure.
Of course if you are in between flex you can always soft/hard step a tapper tipped shaft, but the feeling of soft or firm I feel is subjective vs. what true stiffness of a golf shaft is because everyone loads a shaft differently.
That being said if you want to try something that lives up to the hype of being stout test a DG X7 or C-Taper 130, but even on Tour Tony Finau who I would consider an aggresive swinger games the 120X not even TX because of the stable tip section.
But hey this is what makes Nippon such a great company  

InkedModus3-120-charts.gif.099e09ca12223f34a6e10d30ef1c7a49.gif
InkedTT_ProjectX_EiGjTb_LI.jpg.c6a5cc6d2ce8bbba5164d16937732c4e.jpg

The dual profile is a significant reason why my ball flight and dispersion has been so similar to DG, KBS and what I’d presume a PX even though I’ve only played DG’s and KBS Tour V’s.

The takeaway for me was the feel. I’ve essentially found a shaft that plays similar to what I’ve wanted for ball flight with ridiculously better feel at impact.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

16 minutes ago, JScott said:

Great stuff!  Ball striking is the most solid part of my game. I lose 95% of my strokes 75 yards and in. Like your point about varying results. I was looking at launch/spin characteristics of the PX 6.0 and noticed the Nippon 120 technically launch higher with slightly more spin.  That may or may actually be the case for me.  I’m not hitting stingers and hold greens just fine but would like a higher ball flight. I am currently playing ProV1X. i am also not opposed to a ‘softer’ shaft. I’m 45 and my swing is getting slower, not faster. Carry distance on 7i is 165. I am also fascinated w strong loft ‘players’ irons and think a higher launching shaft might help here too. Growing up my PW was 48 degrees, not 44 or less. 

thanks again!

Here is something from my other post @JScott that may help. I am a late release hence the lower flight. Also I feel we might agree the PGA tour can be used as a refernce point and of all 

Now there has been the Modus proto LSL (Low spin & Launch) on tour for about 4 years now so who knows if it will come to retail, but from the 105 to the 130 there is some profile and flex that will help you achieve your goal if you dont want to change iron heads. But if you are comfortable with the PX 6.0 maybe test some player's distance irons and see the results?

NipponNSProLSL.jpg

NipponNSProLSL2.jpg

Very helpful. Itching to test some newer irons/shaft combos. Can’t wait for our current environment to pass so I can get back on the course/range. Now I’m wondering in the 120 stiff or XS is better option. If I’m on the fence, I’m going stiff as my swing will only get slower from here. Appreciate the detail in the responses. 

JScott

3 minutes ago, bens197 said:

The dual profile is a significant reason why my ball flight and dispersion has been so similar to DG, KBS and what I’d presume a PX even though I’ve only played DG’s and KBS Tour V’s.

The takeaway for me was the feel. I’ve essentially found a shaft that plays similar to what I’ve wanted for ball flight with ridiculously better feel at impact.

biggest take away is that nothing feels like a Nippon! I love my 120TX and honestly not much different from the X except for me I am as some might say aggressive in transition and the extra material and overall weight helps prevent some issues. The feel though stays the same through out the Flex ratings which is why probably the 120 is the most used modus shaft on tour. I have also tried the Modus 125X & 130X PX 6.5 & 7.0 PX LZ 6.5 & 7.0 DGTI X100 DGX7 C-taper 130 and recently the Mitsubishi MMt 105TX & 125TX and i will say the MMT Felt amazing and graphite iron shafts I do feel are the wave of the future but being a normal dude I cant afford to change at will. The others had there pros and cons and I had really good results with a few of them (DGX7 specifically) but the feel of the club head was so good with the Nippon plus after reading about the company and the quality they put into their shafts it came down to an easy choice since the nippon was stock (custom order still through srixon) and the DGX7 at the time was a crazy upcharge (still is) and $40/per club for puring... Per the fitter "Radial consistency of the Modus3 120 is off the charts averaging 99.9% with a standard deviation of 0.1%. That means almost all the shaft (he) measured showed little or no difference between the hard and soft planes. These are as round as shafts get. No alignment is necessary, install these label up or label down as suits your eye." He did tell me that tour players who use DG X100 or X7 shafts almost all of them have them pured and it had to do something with the manufacturing technique, and there was no way to tell if there were radial inconsistencies unless they were ordered....

When I went to get fit and ended up with my T-100 I had the luxury that they could order just heads from Titleist. Pulled the shafts from the Srixon's slapped them label down in the t-100 and been going at it.   

Per the fitter "Radial consistency of the Modus3 120 is off the charts averaging 99.9% with a standard deviation of 0.1%. That means almost all the shaft (he) measured showed little or no difference between the hard and soft planes.

That type of quality control certainly justifies the cost of the product. I never expected to pay $37 for an iron shaft, ever.

It sounds like a lot of honeymoon speak but I’ve rarely heard this kind of consistent praise of a specific shaft in all my years of golf. I only wish I had known about them sooner.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

32 minutes ago, JScott said:

Very helpful. Itching to test some newer irons/shaft combos. Can’t wait for our current environment to pass so I can get back on the course/range. Now I’m wondering in the 120 stiff or XS is better option. If I’m on the fence, I’m going stiff as my swing will only get slower from here. Appreciate the detail in the responses. 

JScott

@JScott you said 165 was your carry with your 7i? what is the club head and loft? what is your club head speed with 7i and driver? For reference my coach is 62 games PXG Gen 0311T and the 7i is 32 deg w/modus 105x (113g). His carry is always different because he has like 9 shots with each club and is a +6 HDCP but if I had to guess its high 80's still with a 7i and around 105 with driver. For me I am still trying to learn the finesse side (also were I lose 98.7% of my strokes) but with a 7i I have 3 shots lol... Stock & Extra gear and shank... My stock 7i speed is 95mph and last time I got on a lauch monitor and stepped on it I got 101mph... Carry is 185-190 on the stock shot with 34 deg 7i... I am happy to help with anything else! 

7 minutes ago, bens197 said:

That type of quality control certainly justifies the cost of the product. I never expected to pay $37 for an iron shaft, ever.

It sounds like a lot of honeymoon speak but I’ve rarely heard this kind of consistent praise of a specific shaft in all my years of golf. I only wish I had known about them sooner.

@bens197 I never really took golf this seriously until about a year ago. Some personal things happened before then and I was limited in activity and golf became my only out. I played D1 college hockey and I was always known as a gear head or in golf terms a tinker... I knew everything about every stick /skate / etc and what would work for people... Long story short I spent way to much money for the worst fitting and that coupled with my health/personal situation i turned to what I did with hockey and I started to learn everything I could about the equipment from the good bad and ugly. My first investment I was determined to make count even if the clubs performance would not. I went to every demo day spent money and time with the fitters in my area, learned how to utilize launch monitor data, networked with the industry, spent a ton on money on eBay, and gained knowledge that I lacked so I could never be taken advantage of by a fitting studio again. Taught myself how to build clubs and purchased all the fitting equipment so I could test and test and test some more. 

I know it does sound like a lot of honeymoon speak, and I will always say play what feels and gives you the results that you want. But when it comes to spending my hard earned money an OEM uses a S200 shaft that weighs anywhere from 122g to 132g and charges you $$$ to go to a DGTI S400/ modus/ etc so they can increase their margin's I say they can pound sand. Now when looking at clubs I check what they are offering at no up charge and if it is the club that fits me best with horrible shady shaft offerings (TaylorMade Ventus comes to mind) then Ill wait till I can snag a deal make a trade or find the answer guy outside of the PGA store and offer him cash before he gets robbed on a trade 😆... 

I do not know the sales % or stats but a majority of people I feel buy off the rack and they buy what is popular on tour and marketed well. Best example I can think of is a Vokey SM8 vs. Mizuno T20. Vokey head is cast (cheaper production) Mizuno is Forged (expensive). Vokey uses the same cast for 46/48 50/52 54/56 58/60/62 and just bends them for each grind. Mizuno does not since they are forged hence less choices. Vokey uses S200 and slaps their sticker on it cost is around $6. Mizuno uses DGTI s400 a $40 shaft (not sure their cost) but has other no charge options of equal quality. SM8 $169 v. Mizuno T20 $150.... SM8 w/ DGTI S400 or Nippon $219...  so if I can spread some knowledge like that example some data or wisdom from my failures and help anyone gets the best for their $$$ then maybe just a little that huge pile of cash I shelled out has not gone to waste... 

The same Nippon shaft you me or anyone has we could test against one off the tour van and they would match up. The same can not be said about True Sports Products (DG & PX) and KBS. That quality speaks volumes to the company and that they care about the golfer on the other end. 

I will get off the soap box for a bit, but hopefully this helps some people...

On 2/22/2020 at 7:02 PM, bens197 said:

I had a wide variation of shafts...that lets just say definitely did not fit my swing at all. I had a spinner shaft on my Mizuno 56 wedge....At the fitting I was getting up to 15,000 spin....little ridiculous I know, but my clubs worked and I was still playing good golf!

I got fitted and they put me in the Modus 125. Have not used them on course yet but in the back yard they feel fantastic, like they fit me (real shocker there). Will keep you updated on overall feel though on the course.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

On 4/1/2020 at 1:29 PM, Brandon M said:

@bens197 I never really took golf this seriously until about a year ago. Some personal things happened before then and I was limited in activity and golf became my only out. I played D1 college hockey and I was always known as a gear head or in golf terms a tinker... I knew everything about every stick /skate / etc and what would work for people... Long story short I spent way to much money for the worst fitting and that coupled with my health/personal situation i turned to what I did with hockey and I started to learn everything I could about the equipment from the good bad and ugly. My first investment I was determined to make count even if the clubs performance would not. I went to every demo day spent money and time with the fitters in my area, learned how to utilize launch monitor data, networked with the industry, spent a ton on money on eBay, and gained knowledge that I lacked so I could never be taken advantage of by a fitting studio again. Taught myself how to build clubs and purchased all the fitting equipment so I could test and test and test some more. 

I know it does sound like a lot of honeymoon speak, and I will always say play what feels and gives you the results that you want. But when it comes to spending my hard earned money an OEM uses a S200 shaft that weighs anywhere from 122g to 132g and charges you $$$ to go to a DGTI S400/ modus/ etc so they can increase their margin's I say they can pound sand. Now when looking at clubs I check what they are offering at no up charge and if it is the club that fits me best with horrible shady shaft offerings (TaylorMade Ventus comes to mind) then Ill wait till I can snag a deal make a trade or find the answer guy outside of the PGA store and offer him cash before he gets robbed on a trade 😆... 

I do not know the sales % or stats but a majority of people I feel buy off the rack and they buy what is popular on tour and marketed well. Best example I can think of is a Vokey SM8 vs. Mizuno T20. Vokey head is cast (cheaper production) Mizuno is Forged (expensive). Vokey uses the same cast for 46/48 50/52 54/56 58/60/62 and just bends them for each grind. Mizuno does not since they are forged hence less choices. Vokey uses S200 and slaps their sticker on it cost is around $6. Mizuno uses DGTI s400 a $40 shaft (not sure their cost) but has other no charge options of equal quality. SM8 $169 v. Mizuno T20 $150.... SM8 w/ DGTI S400 or Nippon $219...  so if I can spread some knowledge like that example some data or wisdom from my failures and help anyone gets the best for their $$$ then maybe just a little that huge pile of cash I shelled out has not gone to waste... 

The same Nippon shaft you me or anyone has we could test against one off the tour van and they would match up. The same can not be said about True Sports Products (DG & PX) and KBS. That quality speaks volumes to the company and that they care about the golfer on the other end. 

I will get off the soap box for a bit, but hopefully this helps some people...

No soap box, but I rely on folks like you (IE @B.Boston) I do not read to much into the equipment, not that I do not at all I just know I play off feel. I got fitted and if something wasnt there after 2 or 3 shots it wasn't happening for me. (my fitting was actually very quick). NO BS the fitter was great. No up charge on shafts and I think he realized I was not going to pay for a substantial upgrade in shaft IE Oban Kiyoshi tour limited, its just never been me in any sport I have ever played. But that does not mean I do not read or learn about the different equipment because it is fascinating. 

I guess my soap box is to say great post with a whole lot of other crap in it? 🤣

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

One thing I’ve been noticing with this new swing is a pronounced kick with these shafts that I haven’t felt in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2020 at 10:37 AM, PMookie said:

One thing I’ve been noticing with this new swing is a pronounced kick with these shafts that I haven’t felt in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I feel the kick but what I’ve noticed most above all is the dispersion is ridiculously better. The ball tracks towards my target and stays on line better than any shaft I’ve ever played. No BS. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

• 4 weeks later...

A few weeks using the Modus wedge shafts in my SM7 and really loving them. Balls are biting like they've never done before, even had a couple of shots zip back to the pin. The kick, the feel, all so good.

Can't recommend them enough!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 5 months later...

Thought I could share my recent fitting and shaft experience. I had T100s irons with stock AMT S300 White shafts. Never really felt like I could get along with these. Compared to my playing partners I was pretty short. I hear all the time that irons are about accuracy and not distance but I find that to be partially true. When I have a par 3 175 over water and I'm stepping on a 5 iron instead of smoothing a 6 iron it's mentally different. I know that lofts are different and don't pay attention to the number on the club etc. Something just didn't feel right.

I got fitted and went with JPX919 F Modus 105 Stiff. Spin and launch were similar but the clubhead speed went up almost 5mph. I now hit my 6I 170 with same dispersion. Sad to see such a nice looking club go away but I needed the help, especially on thin shots. The 919's don't lose much distance on thin. T100s lost quite a bit. 

For reference I am a slow swinger which I never realized. 7I SS was 74 or so. We went stiff as I have a quicker tempo and it gave me more control.

Also, tried the Modus 120's stiff and those felt terrible. It really felt like rebar. I could be wrong but my research showed the 120's have a stiffer tip than the 105's and that might be the different with my clubbed speed.

As a player I am a 8HC and 55 years old. I lose most of my strokes on the occasional lost ball and around the greens.

6 hours ago, Scottyrocket53 said:

Thought I could share my recent fitting and shaft experience. I had T100s irons with stock AMT S300 White shafts. Never really felt like I could get along with these. Compared to my playing partners I was pretty short. I hear all the time that irons are about accuracy and not distance but I find that to be partially true. When I have a par 3 175 over water and I'm stepping on a 5 iron instead of smoothing a 6 iron it's mentally different. I know that lofts are different and don't pay attention to the number on the club etc. Something just didn't feel right.

I got fitted and went with JPX919 F Modus 105 Stiff. Spin and launch were similar but the clubhead speed went up almost 5mph. I now hit my 6I 170 with same dispersion. Sad to see such a nice looking club go away but I needed the help, especially on thin shots. The 919's don't lose much distance on thin. T100s lost quite a bit. 

For reference I am a slow swinger which I never realized. 7I SS was 74 or so. We went stiff as I have a quicker tempo and it gave me more control.

Also, tried the Modus 120's stiff and those felt terrible. It really felt like rebar. I could be wrong but my research showed the 120's have a stiffer tip than the 105's and that might be the different with my clubbed speed.

As a player I am a 8HC and 55 years old. I lose most of my strokes on the occasional lost ball and around the greens.

Dude this awesome! First off the T-100 / T-100s are not forgiving clubs at all so kudos to you for going into / be willing to move to a more forgiving club. also the difference between a Modus 105s an AMT white S300 in your 7i is almost 30g of weight so makes sense you were faster.

The thin strikes make more sense too since the 919 F have much more technology focused around forgiveness. T-100s are a players iron and a true one at that where 919F are players distance and offer much more forgiveness across the whole face of the club.

Side note the Modus 120 just dont have a stiff tip the whole tip section has a rapidly increase of stiffness across the whole section. If you like feel and dont generate enough speed I could see how it felt like rebar a bit.

I am actually getting ready to switch from T-100 to Mizuno MP20 MMC because of better forgiveness in the MMC. I will be using the Nippon Modus 120 TX in the MMC's

Thanks Manimal! I'm going on a buddies golf trip this coming up week I will report how it worked out. The course can be different than the range. I'm not expecting any huge regrets though. My entire goal was to give myself the best fit possible than it's probably all user error after that. 

The ego took a hit not playing almost blades but getting back into the 70's is the goal this next year.