Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Nippon Modus players, question for you guys

bens197

8 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I am going to say its incomparable.  Based upon what I've read throughout this forum, WRX as well as my own personal experience of playing over 32 years.  The characteristics of this particular 120 shaft are so unique that I couldn't suggest anything alike.

Soft feel, higher launch, low spin, lighter weight is almost a unicorn of design.  This one has no Pepsi to its Coke.  

Overall I agree with you and the modus are in a separate class form most shafts. Based on fitting data the launch and spin may or may not be higher launch or lower spin.

In my pxg fitting for Gen 2 iron release I used the modus120, dg s300, Px 6.0 and kbs $ taper. My spin was within a couple hundred rpm with all of them. Launch was within 2* and peak height within 3-5’

The reason I say dg105 is that the 115, 120 and 300 shafts are nowhere near the modus. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

30 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I am going to say its incomparable.  Based upon what I've read throughout this forum, WRX as well as my own personal experience of playing over 32 years.  The characteristics of this particular 120 shaft are so unique that I couldn't suggest anything alike.

Soft feel, higher launch, low spin, lighter weight is almost a unicorn of design.  This one has no Pepsi to its Coke.  

totally correct. The way the 120’allows the club to release vs the s300 is night and day. The s300 feel very board, similarly to the kbs c taper. It just doesn’t feel like their is a lot of love and forgiveness. I think the modus has the ability to be forgiving enough for the weekend golfer but specialized enough for the golf junkies!

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I never hear anything bad about the modus 120's...the DG S300 has been arund for almost 30 years, so its fine, but maybe its run its course with the new modern golfer......

I read great things about the DG 120's as well......

its off to the fitter to see what works for me!!   I just want a nice feeling shaft that is controllable, does not feel overly "boardy" but not loose either.   Its time to move on from the S400's ive been playing for years.....

Golf is cool

7 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

I never hear anything bad about the modus 120's...the DG S300 has been arund for almost 30 years, so its fine, but maybe its run its course with the new modern golfer......

I read great things about the DG 120's as well......

its off to the fitter to see what works for me!!   I just want a nice feeling shaft that is controllable, does not feel overly "boardy" but not loose either.   Its time to move on from the S400's ive been playing for years.....

Good luck. I hope you’ll like the feel as many of us but more importantly, it performs. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

4 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Good luck. I hope you’ll like the feel as many of us but more importantly, it performs. 

ty...me too.....i tried the PX LZ line and it was NOT good for me.....hoping i can find something else that helps my game

Golf is cool

• 1 month later...

I'll chime in here with my winter experience. I have played Project X 5.5 shafts for many, many years.

I had an iron fitting last fall with a highly regarded local fitter, and ended up ordering a few different 5-irons, and trying them all out all winter. I went to the range at least 5 times a week, and have recently made it out on the course for 8 rounds. I picked 5-iron because long irons have always been my biggest weakness.

Project X 5.5

SteelFiber CW 115 (R and S)

Modus 120 R

Modus 105 S

I built my Modus 105 5-iron 1/4" longer than the others to try and get a comparable swingweight.  

To make a long story short, the 5-iron with the Modus 105 S has been amazing. I hit it 9 times on full swings this week on the course and 8 of them were so pure that I couldn't ask for anything more. Feel is smooth, flight is high, but still wind piercing, and the ball flies straight. The straightness shocks me a little every time. I've never had that kind of flight with a long iron before in my life. (Head is a Maltby STi2) 

The results are so good, that I now have a dilemma. Build up a full set with the exact same specs (Golf Pride Z-Grip - I don't really like the feel) , or put on a Grip Master grip that I love the feel of, and potentially mess with the on-course results, as it is not as firm, and 4g lighter, which will increase the swingweight and change the balance.

I don't mind the Modus 120 R, but I do not achieve the same effortless results that I get with the 105 S.

Mizuno ST-200 Driver

Srixon 4w

Ping 425 19* hybrid

Srixon zx utilty 3,4

Mizuno MP-60 Cut Muscle 6-pw

Vokey SM8 50,54,58

Wilson putter

On 2/22/2020 at 7:05 PM, STUDque said:

KBS Tour for me. Reason? Fitter said I was launching too low with too much spin. Modus / i500 head helped with both. 

What's the goal here? What are you considering?

You were launching too low with too much spin in the KBS Tours? 

I was under the impression that the Tours were higher launching than the Modus family of the same weight. 

Did anyone else make this switch? I'm playing KBS Tour S+ 125g right now and am considering a shift to the Modus 125. 

Any insights welcome.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-P

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

AKA the #FourPuttPrince. 👑

On 2/22/2020 at 7:51 PM, PMookie said:

I’ve played numerous shafts in the past: DG S300, S400, X100. PX PXI 6.5, LZ 6.5, PX 6.0. KBS Tour, KBS Tour V.

Each time I’ve played a shaft, it was what was determined best in a fitting. Same with the Modus 120X I play now in my Z785 irons. Remember, each iron head has some different attributes than the next one, and maybe it spins the ball more or less, or launches the ball higher or lower, so the same shaft in two different irons may not be the best fit.

I just go with what works best with each head in the fitting. Heck, in this last iron fitting, what was best in the Honma 747 Tour V was not Modus, and it wasn’t the best in the Vega iron either........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is almost the exact switch I'm considering. I hit the Zx7s last night and let's just say my better half will not be happy if I find somewhere to try these out on grass and they still hold up. Gentleman working the sim suggested I go to the X100 or a PX LZ

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-P

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

AKA the #FourPuttPrince. 👑

Here is my two cents, I played the Modus 120x in my old set of Mizuno's JPX 900 forged and loved them.  Last year I was selected to test the Ping g410 irons and went in for my fitting.  They used the Mizuno shaft fitting tool and I hit a few shots as one does.  What the fitting tool said I should use was the Dynamic Gold X100 120 shafts.    Yes, I like my shafts heavy not light as most golfers would scoff at that idea.  It DID NOT recommend the Modus for me.  Anyway, I had the Pings built with the Dynamic Gold shafts and played them for a while.  The DG shafts felt like a 2X4 with an iron head one one end and grip on the other.  I didn't mind that.  I had no problem hitting them.  Eventually, I determined the Ping's were not for me anymore, so I bought the Callaway Apex combo set '19.  What shaft did I put in them...I went back to the Modus 120x. 

Yup, the shaft analyzer did not recommend the Modus AT ALL, yet I am playing it anyway.  I find the Modus to be exactly what I want in a shaft.  It's launch is ideal for me.  I can swing smooth or I can stand on one and the shaft reacts how I want it to.  I find the shaft to be very smooth in transition and I have a quick transition, my swing is like Rahm or Finau, short back swing quick transition.  Distance is not a problem either.  I hit 7 iron 170, I don't need to hit it any further.  If you have not tried the Modus yet, I would recommend you try it. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

2 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Here is my two cents, I played the Modus 120x in my old set of Mizuno's JPX 900 forged and loved them.  Last year I was selected to test the Ping g410 irons and went in for my fitting.  They used the Mizuno shaft fitting tool and I hit a few shots as one does.  What the fitting tool said I should use was the Dynamic Gold X100 120 shafts.    Yes, I like my shafts heavy not light as most golfers would scoff at that idea.  It DID NOT recommend the Modus for me.  Anyway, I had the Pings built with the Dynamic Gold shafts and played them for a while.  The DG shafts felt like a 2X4 with an iron head one one end and grip on the other.  I didn't mind that.  I had no problem hitting them.  Eventually, I determined the Ping's were not for me anymore, so I bought the Callaway Apex combo set '19.  What shaft did I put in them...I went back to the Modus 120x. 

Yup, the shaft analyzer did not recommend the Modus AT ALL, yet I am playing it anyway.  I find the Modus to be exactly what I want in a shaft.  It's launch is ideal for me.  I can swing smooth or I can stand on one and the shaft reacts how I want it to.  I find the shaft to be very smooth in transition and I have a quick transition, my swing is like Rahm or Finau, short back swing quick transition.  Distance is not a problem either.  I hit 7 iron 170, I don't need to hit it any further.  If you have not tried the Modus yet, I would recommend you try it. 

I love this and really support this logic.  One variable that used to be significant in selecting clubs prior to the data driven / launch monitor fittings was feel.  

How many clubs have you lost confidence in because of looks and feel?  Our cognitive bias will steer our confidence and just speaking for myself, when a club feels solid when I hit it, I am 100x more likely to feel a LOT better standing over that shot.  

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

9 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I love this and really support this logic.  One variable that used to be significant in selecting clubs prior to the data driven / launch monitor fittings was feel.  

How many clubs have you lost confidence in because of looks and feel?  Our cognitive bias will steer our confidence and just speaking for myself, when a club feels solid when I hit it, I am 100x more likely to feel a LOT better standing over that shot.  

That's just it, we are losing our own personal feel with clubs nowadays.  The Modus just feels right to me.  Am I maximizing my iron shaft?  Maybe not, but if the shaft feels good to me, gives me the flight characteristics that I'm seeking and gives me the distance I want, why would I NOT choose it over what a computer is telling me?

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Got fitted last year and the 120 were the smoothest feeling for me by far, even in x stiff. PX was a no go, and the Modus 130 just felt like I was working a bit hard compared to the 120.

image.png.258d22fcc4d0d25f5fdb8eea25fcd23f.png B21 9.5* w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

:ping-small: G410 SFT 16* 3-wood w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

image.png.de7870be9e5ebe2ff26fab3151edb989.png Stealth DHY 2i w/ Aldila Ascent Black Stiff

:srixon-small: z585 4-AW w/ Modus3 120x

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56.12 & 60.10 w/ Modus3 125w

image.png.a2a25073d1a41c5de1690a6254814da3.png Super Select Newport Plus -or- :odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1WS w/ Stroke Lab 

image.png.d2e91492049dce3981a9fad088921b12.png ProV1

• 1 month later...

Mizuno Optimizer has not previously recommended Modus because they didn’t offer it. I do see it on their shaft list options now though.

SIM 9º Ventus 7X

M2 tour 15º Diamana Kai'li

P790 3 Mitsubishi MMT 105TX

PING i210 3i PX LZ 6.5

PING Blueprint 4-P PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM7 50.12º F grind

Vokey SM7 56.10º S grind 

Vokey SM7 60.04º L grind

TM copper Juno

7 hours ago, bladestriker said:

Mizuno Optimizer has not previously recommended Modus because they didn’t offer it. I do see it on their shaft list options now though.

It’s a stock option too. There’s a set of jpx 921 forged iirc at my pro shop with the 105 r in them 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Reid Thompson said:

KBS.  Hard to kick out but they did. 

KBS were good and there is no disputing that. 

Modus 120 for me were better. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 2/25/2021 at 12:40 PM, RollingGreens said:

totally correct. The way the 120’allows the club to release vs the s300 is night and day. The s300 feel very board, similarly to the kbs c taper. It just doesn’t feel like their is a lot of love and forgiveness. I think the modus has the ability to be forgiving enough for the weekend golfer but specialized enough for the golf junkies!

As a golfer who gamed Dynamic Gold S300 shafts from much of 1987 through 2014 (gamed DG X100 shafts from 1990 through 1997) I definitely agree with the club release.  When I was younger I had no issues with loading the shaft and the release.  As I am older I really love the Modus 120s!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

33 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

As a golfer who gamed Dynamic Gold S300 shafts from much of 1987 through 2014 (gamed DG X100 shafts from 1990 through 1997) I definitely agree with the club release.  When I was younger I had no issues with loading the shaft and the release.  As I am older I really love the Modus 120s!

Similar to talking about a driver shaft feeling boardybor how some guys say the old hzrdus smoke shaft felt like a telephone pole 😂 I’ll take all the help I can get these days 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

On 6/6/2021 at 12:57 PM, RollingGreens said:

Similar to talking about a driver shaft feeling boardybor how some guys say the old hzrdus smoke shaft felt like a telephone pole 😂 I’ll take all the help I can get these days 

Absolutely.  There are many golfers who can swing those telephone poles.  Good for them.  Then there are many who are vain and have egos the size of the state of Alaska who play them because of the "look at me" syndrome.  Good for them as well.  As for me, I'll play the softer, less macho, shaft and let my score provide the machismo.  😉

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on