TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fitting question

If you PAY for a fitting, then you are free to do with the information what you wish.... IMO.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I agree with Nic. It's only bad form if you try to scam the fitting info under the guise of potentially buying clubs. I run into that all the time and I hate it. If you're up front about your intentions, and you pay for the info then it's yours.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

As long as you pay the fitter for their time, then it's not bad form. I don't agree with the people that try to scam a fitting free and then buy online because it's cheaper. I understand that you're trying to save money, but don't screw the local business to save you money. Either pay them for their time, or get the fitting free by supporting local business. Before long, local business won't exist if people keep this mentailty and there will be no where to go get fit. Most of the time, if you pay for the fitting, the place will credit that toward the purchase price of the clubs if you buy from them, food for thought.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

My local club fitter only offers swing science and Wishon clubs. I'm not sure if I want to go with those heads yet. I was thinking about paying the $80 to go through the fitting find out my "specks" and truly compare apples to apples and try and swing clubs from different manufacturers in my specks. Also is it kosher to bring your own heads/clubs and have them retrofit?

My local club fitter only offers swing science and Wishon clubs. I'm not sure if I want to go with those heads yet. I was thinking about paying the $80 to go through the fitting find out my "specks" and truly compare apples to apples and try and swing clubs from different manufacturers in my specks. Also is it kosher to bring your own heads/clubs and have them retrofit?

Are you considering woods or irons??

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Irons. I'm currently gaming cleveland cg reds two degrees flat with project x 5.5 4-pw. I self fit them four years ago and since then I have taken lessons and now have a consistent repeatable swing that I trust and want to get clubs to fit it. I practice a lot but it is in my garage hitting into a net so I can't see ball flight and have to rely solely on feel so I was thinking about going to a combo set of players cb 4-6 and blades 7-pw. I don't know what my current swing speed is but my 155 club is a smooth 8 and normally drive the ball 240-50. My poor shots miss on the toe of the club and hook.

I just got done with the first part of a bag fitting with GolfTec. I went with the Burner 2.0 irons, 1.5 degrees flat. I looked online for deals, but it turned out GolfTec was still the best price out there. Next up is the driver at the end of the month.

Driver: Taylormade R11 9°, Fujikura Blur 60 S-flex

Fairway: Taylormade R11 15.5°, Fujikura Blur 70 S-flex

Fairway: Acer XDS React 18° "Machete", Fujikura Fit-On E-360 R Flex

Irons: Taylormade Burner 2.0, 4-PW, Steel SuperFast 85 R-flex

Wedges: Cleveland CG-14 Black Pearl 52° AW, 56° SW, 60° LW

Putter: Bionik 207 Nano Mallet Belly Putter, 43", Winn 21-inch Red/Black Putter Grip

Putter: Cleveland Classic #2 BRZ, Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Ball: Searching for a Penta TP replacement...

Callaway LR550 Laser Rangefinder

I'm going to schedule my fitting for earily june I will post how it goes. I plan on taking my time making an iron choice and trying out everything. Will most likely make my purchase in December.

You mentioned the Wishon equipment. My local fitter also uses Wishon stuff. So far I have a 3 and 4 hybrid/iron from him and I love them. He also had me try the Wishon forged irons. Uhhhhh.... guess what my next set is gonna be? LOL! Those things felt SO sweet!

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

I have tried out the Wishon 550m and 555cb and loved the feel. I have a feeling they will be my next set but I want to compare apples to apples and swing clubs in my specks if I can.

this is one of the reasons I'd held back on this. Kinda felt like if I paid for a fitting, but then purchased elsewhere, it might be bad form, but glad to hear the resounding affirmation to having paid, you're open game. (though really, I'd prefer to be fit, and try the clubs during the fitting that I'll end up with)

this is one of the reasons I'd held back on this. Kinda felt like if I paid for a fitting, but then purchased elsewhere, it might be bad form, but glad to hear the resounding affirmation to having paid, you're open game. (though really, I'd prefer to be fit, and try the clubs during the fitting that I'll end up with)

You paid them for their time and for the usage of their equipment, so I don't see any problem with it. The stuff I have problems with are people going in and getting fit for everything then going home and scouring ebay and buying to save money. That's stealing, getting fit without paying for the fitting, time, etc.

As for trying the clubs, a good fitter with a good assortment of clubs should be able to let you try whatever you want in the fitting from their fitting carts. You'd get to try them, and then buy elsewhere if you're so inclined. You're really paying for the information. Thing is, though, lots of places will credit the price of the fitting towards the purchase and you might save $20 on buying online and then have to wait, etc.

The online industry will save you money, but eventually, brick and mortar stores will be out of business because of this practice because sales keep them in business. THen where would one go to get fit? I support my local vendors as much as I can.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Can most custom shops get component parts from the "major" companies, or would we have to bring our own club heads if we wanted something they did not offer?

I like to support local business but he only deals in swing sceience and Wishon club heads and lets say clevelands suite my eye better.

Is it bad form to bring your own club heads and have them install shafts and grips and then bend them to your specks.

Can most custom shops get component parts from the "major" companies, or would we have to bring our own club heads if we wanted something they did not offer?

I like to support local business but he only deals in swing sceience and Wishon club heads and lets say clevelands suite my eye better.

Is it bad form to bring your own club heads and have them install shafts and grips and then bend them to your specks.

The short answer is No. We do not have access to components from the major vendors. If you want me to work on your TaylorMade or Cleveland heads, I am happy to charge you for the fit and the work. Not bad form in any way...

The only vendors that can get components are the ones with larger accounts that are also tour accounts. For example, Sellingers can get Adams and a few other companies components.

In The Bag

• 2 weeks later...

I do fittings, club repairs, and new build and own a driving range here in Ohio.

We believe when you have paid for the service you do with the information as you want. If the golfer has preference to a particular OEM I try to help them with a selection and give guidance how to order the custom numbers they need,or they can get an off the rack set for me to modify. Its their choice.

At a time I was able to get Srixon and Macgregor (before the sale) in component form and did well with product. I have been approved for an Adams component account. There are a select very few that deal in Taylormade like this but it is not very public. Tyoically that means it will cost more to have built.

We carry Wishon and Swing science too however there are some other companies such as Scratch and Muira that you might want to consider before walking into the golf store.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Archived