Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Putter extensions

My short game practice is pitching and chipping onto a green - on average about 50 balls then I putt those. After my putting practice my back really hurts. I was reading an article the other day about Rors adding an inch to his putter to eliminate back problems. I was debating adding 1-2 inches to see if that helps.

Has anyone tried lengthening their putter for back issues and has it helped? If you have how much did you add?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My short game practice is pitching and chipping onto a green - on average about 50 balls then I putt those. After my putting practice my back really hurts. I was reading an article the other day about Rors adding an inch to his putter to eliminate back problems. I was debating adding 1-2 inches to see if that helps.

Has anyone tried lengthening their putter for back issues and has it helped? If you have how much did you add?

I hadn’t heard of this before. I guess you’d have to add enough so you can be in a more
Comfortable posture.

I’d imagine this could throw off your aim since your eyes will be in a different spot.

Do you normally get back pain while putting during rounds? Or only during these extended practice sessions? I ask because if you are putting well it may be worth it to break your session up into two sets of 25 so you’re not putting as long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 minute ago, B.Boston said:

I hadn’t heard of this before. I guess you’d have to add enough so you can be in a more
Comfortable posture.

I’d imagine this could throw off your aim since your eyes will be in a different spot.

Do you normally get back pain while putting during rounds? Or only during these extended practice sessions? I ask because if you are putting well it may be worth it to break your session up into two sets of 25 so you’re not putting as long.

Good question - no it doesn't hurt in normal play just practice. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Prob something you could ask your fitter about. When I did my putter fitting I went from 33 to 32.5 and it made a pretty significant impact on my path. Adding an inch or so may not seem like a lot, but depending On the player could be better or worse.

Sounds like it might be worth looking into, have you been fit before?

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 minute ago, B.Boston said:

Prob something you could ask your fitter about. When I did my putter fitting I went from 33 to 32.5 and it made a pretty significant impact on my path. Adding an inch or so may not seem like a lot, but depending On the player could be better or worse.

Sounds like it might be worth looking into, have you been fit before?

That's interesting. Will look into it more. Thx. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

14 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I heard that Rors went back to his shorter putter this week.

I agree with @B.Boston.  Use the putter length you were fitted for or produces the best results.  I don't spend much time constantly practicing putting; my back hurts too.  I try to break up the time into segments, and I also don't practice with a lot of balls, usually 3 maybe 2.  That way I keep moving.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

That's interesting. Will look into it more. Thx. 

... I have back problems from playing football with surgery in '95 and after that my back is always a problem. A manageable problem but a problem none the less. I tried going to a longer length than my 33" which allows my arms to just hang loose and natural. But I was disappointed to find not only did my putting get worse, it really wasn't much better on my back. We are all different of course, but I think the longer you have putted one way exclusively the more difficult it is to try a different putter length. That said, I do think most people are using a putter that is too long to begin with as most off the shelf putters are 35". 

... As an experiment I would advise you to practice putting with a hybrid and you can vary the length at which you hold the putter. Of course it forces you to concentrate and make better contact but more importantly you will find out if it is easier on your back. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... I have back problems from playing football with surgery in '95 and after that my back is always a problem. A manageable problem but a problem none the less. I tried going to a longer length than my 33" which allows my arms to just hang loose and natural. But I was disappointed to find not only did my putting get worse, it really wasn't much better on my back. We are all different of course, but I think the longer you have putted one way exclusively the more difficult it is to try a different putter length. That said, I do think most people are using a putter that is too long to begin with as most off the shelf putters are 35". 

... As an experiment I would advise you to practice putting with a hybrid and you can vary the length at which you hold the putter. Of course it forces you to concentrate and make better contact but more importantly you will find out if it is easier on your back. 

That's an interesting approach I'll try that as well

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2020 at 7:57 PM, tony@CIC said:

Yes and I made several armlock putters. Then went to my local golf shop to have them adjust the lofts for the forward press. Sadly my putting did not improve like it did with belly putters back in the day. The nice thing is I am a lefty and due to their rarity I made a little coin off them on eBay. 

On 2/23/2020 at 8:37 AM, tony@CIC said:

Change how you practice so that you aren't just stuck putting.  Hit a drive, an approach, around the green shot, hit a putt, and then do it again.  Block practice type stuff can be done at home or no more the ten minutes at a practice green.  After that, simulation is a better way to practice.  

Breaking up your putting session into shorter intervals is probably a good idea as others suggested, but you could also go see your doctor and see if they can refer you to a physical therapist. Depending on why it is hurting, there could be exercises you could be doing to strengthen this area that might alleviate your pain. It might also stave off any future problems as just because it doesn't hurt during a normal round now, doesn't mean that in 5 years it won't. 

I can hit balls for 2+ hours and be fine with my back. 10-15 minutes of putting is about all it can take though. It’s a lil strange but something I have dealt with. I just break it up and will go back to putting green multiple times. 

As far as adding length it will change path, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad thing just have to be cognizant of it. And then it may not even help...

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."