TESTERS WANTED! ×

Recommend a lower spinning ball?

miketratnik

I'm looking to make a ball change.  I'm playing the TP5.  Though it's cool to watch it spin back when I'm hitting it well, it just balloons on me in the wind and I get little roll out with the driver.  I tried the TP5x but didn't really get a great feel for it.

So is there any recommendations for lower spinning ball that can still have some stopping power on the greens? I actually prefer playing a bit more roll out on chips.  I don't really care too much for soft feel but I don't want to hit pebbles either.  I hit an MTB-X today for a few holes (until I hit it into a river) and it seemed ok, but had a really high ball flight.  Thanks in advance!

Not sure if you'll see any more or less spin but I find the Srixon Z star XV and Bridgestone Tour B XS are extremely controllable. On any given day I could game either as they are that predictable. Also, they both perform excellently in wind and seem to punch right through.

IMO they both feel similar and are slightly firmer feeling than what you're playing. Not bad firm but solid firm. I feel like I can get a nice roll on bump and run shots and put stopping spin on them without zipping backward from longer range. They also both check up nicely from shots off the green. 

For a less expensive 3 piece option, I love the TM Project (a). Slightly more spin but a very consistent ball with a nice flight and feel. This is my usual gamer. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Firmer balls spin more on partially shots. Feel does not equal spin. 

If you're looking for lower spin everywhere the Titleist AVX would be a good choice. If you want a bit more spin and ballspeed, the prov1x left dash would be another option 

Hit the nail on the head. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

For lower spinning, I do really like the AVX but my favorite is the Duo-Professional.

No ballooning and it's actually a great wind ball. Straightest urethane ball off driver I've ever played.

Compared to all I've sampled very recently, the TP5, TP5x, Z-Star, XV, Tour BX, RB Tour, and MTBx, of course it's also the softest feeling.

Mid iron spin is comparable for me, there is less spin off wedges but more often hop & stop rather than pulling it back so much. I'm not a high spin chipper so I find that it performs similar to most there.

Distance wise, you'd think a lower compression would hurt a higher swing speed but I only find it shorter than the TP5x, XV and MTBx and not by very much.

FWIW, TXG did a comparison between the Duo-Urethane (prior version) and XV on the GCQuad. Matt who swings 120+ mph was only 5 yards shorter carry/total with driver (he admits that he over-swung with one for the W/S to try to drive ball speed up) and his 6-iron numbers were essentially identical across the board. They didn't hit wedges as it was just a distance test.

I tested the Duo-U extensively in 2018, the soft feel was a goof, and find the Duo-Pro to be marginally better in the right areas. A little more mid iron spin, a little more wedge spin, a fraction firmer, same straight performance off longer clubs.

I've been trying like heck to find another ball because for whatever reason, I'd rather my ball of choice be something other than Wilson Staff.

But despite my recent golf ball carousel for the last year, if playing a tournament or important match tomorrow, while it's still surprising to me... I'm going with the Duo-Pro.

To be clear though, harder is inderd faster, I don't dispute that. But wrt lower spin, the Duo-Pro makes up the difference for me to provide similar distances.

I'm surprised the TP5X did not meet your needs. Since you had already gamed the TP5 the X is just a bit firmer. I found off the driver and full iron shots it flies high and straight with not a ton of spin. Yet when really clipped with a wedge it can stop on a dime.
I'll repeat what a few have already said. The AVX is a premium ball that has less spin everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

I'm surprised the TP5X did not meet your needs. Since you had already gamed the TP5 the X is just a bit firmer. I found off the driver and full iron shots it flies high and straight with not a ton of spin. Yet when really clipped with a wedge it can stop on a dime.
I'll repeat what a few have already said. The AVX is a premium ball that has less spin everywhere.

Yeah I was surprised too.  I can't explain it but I just didn't like the ball.  Plus, they seemed to scuff really easy.  I was kicking around the AVX or the Z Star XV. Thanks for the feedback 

11 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

... Like all golf equipment balls can be personal depending on many different factors. But for me too, the TP5x combined with P790 low spin irons produce the best combo I have ever played in the wind. Not so good on hard, fast desert greens where more spin is desirable but for almost all other conditions I have not found a better combo. The TP5x has been my favorite ball ever since it was released. But on really hard and fast desert greens I switch to my P760's and the TP5. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... Like all golf equipment balls can be personal depending on many different factors. But for me too, the TP5x combined with P790 low spin irons produce the best combo I have ever played in the wind. Not so good on hard, fast desert greens where more spin is desirable but for almost all other conditions I have not found a better combo. The TP5x has been my favorite ball ever since it was released. But on really hard and fast desert greens I switch to my P760's and the TP5. 
Those 790s can really produce some knuckleballs. Add a low spin ball and I can see your dilemma.

... The flip side of the low spin, is both the TP5x and P790's produce a very high ball flight. So under most conditions the combo has no problems holding a green. But a few courses I play in Phoenix don't even produce a ball mark so hard and fast is almost an understatement. Yet in the softer conditions here in the Chicago suburbs they land and stop almost immediately or roll out a foot or two max, so I never have to take spinning the ball back into my calculations.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2020 at 6:51 PM, azstu324 said:

Not sure if you'll see any more or less spin but I find the Srixon Z star XV and Bridgestone Tour B XS are extremely controllable. On any given day I could game either as they are that predictable. Also, they both perform excellently in wind and seem to punch right through.

IMO they both feel similar and are slightly firmer feeling than what you're playing. Not bad firm but solid firm. I feel like I can get a nice roll on bump and run shots and put stopping spin on them without zipping backward from longer range. They also both check up nicely from shots off the green. 

For a less expensive 3 piece option, I love the TM Project (a). Slightly more spin but a very consistent ball with a nice flight and feel. This is my usual gamer. 

I love playing the Srixon Z star series for the pure fact they play so well in the wind. I am a cheaper golfer typically and find myself playing in the afternoon where the winds play a bigger factor. One thing I have noticed (and it could just be me), is that they almost cut through the wind too well when I anticipated the ball flight changing. I totally agree with you on the spin/grab on the greens.

One thing I've noticed is the covering tends to fade quickly and even if I don't hit it off the cart path or a tree branch, the cover seems to wear out quicker than other balls. Have you noticed this too?

On 2/23/2020 at 12:03 PM, chisag said:

... The flip side of the low spin, is both the TP5x and P790's produce a very high ball flight. So under most conditions the combo has no problems holding a green. But a few courses I play in Phoenix don't even produce a ball mark so hard and fast is almost an understatement. Yet in the softer conditions here in the Chicago suburbs they land and stop almost immediately or roll out a foot or two max, so I never have to take spinning the ball back into my calculations.  

Have you thought about changing your ball for the weather/playing conditions?

I'd go with the Duo-Professional and the AVX. I play them both and like the Professional better.

:ping-small: G400 MAX  Ping Tour 65

:cobra-small: FW 15* King F-7 :Fuji: PRO-65

:ping-small: G400 Hybrid Alta CB-70

PXG 0211 5-SW Mitsubishi MMT Graphite

:titelist-small: AP1 52* SW TT XP-95

:taylormade-small: MG 58* TT DG Wedge

Scotty Cameron Custom welded LN 

Grips- GP MCC+4

I played nxt for a while. I called it poor man prov1 !. I really liked the way it released on impact for irons and didnt spin climb so much off my 9.5 driver. 

Sure, it was NOT a zip back ball, but i rarely needed that feature, even with pin front edge. 

Driver FW - Titleist 917

Irons 4 to 8 - Titleist T300 2° flat

Irons 9 to wedges - George Nicoll Royal musclebacks 70s vintage

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select blackout

On 4/5/2020 at 10:11 AM, TENBUCK said:

I'd go with the Duo-Professional and the AVX. I play them both and like the Professional better.

As someone who hits the ball decently far, I felt as though the AVX wouldn't provide me the help around the green that I need. I don't need the extra carry or roll the lower spinning balls provide. I'm constantly working on flighting/using the bounce on my wedges more so I can have a steeper decent angle and get that ball to stick

21 minutes ago, 5footslider107 said:

As someone who hits the ball decently far, I felt as though the AVX wouldn't provide me the help around the green that I need. I don't need the extra carry or roll the lower spinning balls provide. I'm constantly working on flighting/using the bounce on my wedges more so I can have a steeper decent angle and get that ball to stick

Totally agree, which is why I said that I prefer the Professional. It gives me the spin I want around the green and still some solid distance. 

Grips- GP MCC+4

Have you looked into the new Bridgestone lineup? Getting rave reviews on the forums, and I’m counting the days until I can give them a test against my usual Z Star gamers. I personally have a high ball flight and want the extra spin, so our needs are a bit different. But everyone is saying 1.5mph faster ball speed with the driver and 300rpms more on the wedges. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

7 minutes ago, zrumble said:

Have you looked into the new Bridgestone lineup? Getting rave reviews on the forums, and I’m counting the days until I can give them a test against my usual Z Star gamers. I personally have a high ball flight and want the extra spin, so our needs are a bit different. But everyone is saying 1.5mph faster ball speed with the driver and 300rpms more on the wedges. 

When I was in Florida a few weeks ago, I got a box of the Tour B RX and like you said, it does have a lot of spin especially around the green. Srixon Z Star V is also a spinner. I also want to try out the Gen.3 version of the Q Star Tour. My preferred ball flight is high(doesn't always happen), but the feel to me is that the new Bridgestone spin better, but to me feel somewhat firmer than the last years BRX.

Grips- GP MCC+4

On 2/22/2020 at 7:26 PM, miketratnik said:

I hit an MTB-X today for a few holes (until I hit it into a river) and it seemed ok, but had a really high ball flight.  Thanks in advance!

I love the MTB-X, but at the moment am going back and forth between a couple of dozen of the new Bridgestone line (X, RX). Once I'm done with them, I think I'll probably go back to the Snell. I'm waiting for the 2020 MGS ball test results, but if you have a look at the ones from last year you can at least make a data comparison between the TP5, AVX, and MTB-X: https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

Callaway Epic Speed + Mitsubishi MMT

TaylorMade SIM Titanium + Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

Titleist U510 20* + Paderson Kinetixx Ballistic

Mizuno 919 Forged + Paderson Kinetixx TS-I

Cleveland CBX2 54*, Vokey SM8 58*

TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

Pro V1

If you want less spin, you want a softer ball because a softer ball will compress more on the face instead of just riding up the face at impact.  You may like some of the softer tour balls or you may even find that you like a 3-piece with a harder cover.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

On 4/6/2020 at 2:47 PM, zrumble said:

Recently, and especially on these forums I've heard really good things about the Bridgestone line-up! I mentioned to my friend recently that the ascetics of a ball are important to me. Most companies have their logo with their full name and they stamp it on the ball which creates a line/direction that I use for my drives similar to lining up my putts. Bridgestone, understandably with their long name, doesn't do that and I think that is holding me back from using it. Other than that I think it's a great ball!

33 minutes ago, 5footslider107 said:

Recently, and especially on these forums I've heard really good things about the Bridgestone line-up! I mentioned to my friend recently that the ascetics of a ball are important to me. Most companies have their logo with their full name and they stamp it on the ball which creates a line/direction that I use for my drives similar to lining up my putts. Bridgestone, understandably with their long name, doesn't do that and I think that is holding me back from using it. Other than that I think it's a great ball!

Fair enough. Have you tried marking it with the alignment aids, or is it just the clean look of the name you’re after?

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

6 minutes ago, zrumble said:

Fair enough. Have you tried marking it with the alignment aids, or is it just the clean look of the name you’re after?

I usually save the alignment aids for putting. I try to keep it simple and clean with my ball so I generally don't mark up my ball at all. I am mostly looking at the clean look as I've noticed the Srixon balls are typically the whitest while TaylorMade or Titleist balls have an off-white color. All preferential obviously, but I do like lining up the logo when I drive.

• 1 month later...

I too have this issue with similar results, and I have found the Titleist AVX to be the most satisfying for me just in my own experimentation. I have tested the TP5X and just could not come to love it. Srixon Z-Star XV has been a good performer as well.

On 4/8/2020 at 5:29 PM, 5footslider107 said:

The length of the name isn’t why Bridgestone doesn’t put their name on the ball, they actually did it for years. They changed to the B for marketing. Iirc it was in 2016 with the change. They had done it for Tiger or someone and the consumers like it and they released it with B logo and have kept it.

You could easily line the back of the B off the tee in the same way you would the name of another brand

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1